DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Great AMOL update from Brandon Today

OsaroLJ

Q: Who killed Asmodean?  Come on, just tell us.  Please. I won't tell Harriet you told me.

I answered this last year, but I was just joking. Now I've read the notes and I REALLY know who did it. Keep this as a secret between you and me, but it was Narg.

Q: Ok, if you won't tell us, will you tell us in A MEMORY OF LIGHT?

It will be there. I promise.

Thank God.  We can finally put to rest the endless pointless debates (eventually).

Q: Who killed Asmodean?  Come on, just tell us.  Please. I won't tell Harriet you told me.

I answered this last year, but I was just joking. Now I've read the notes and I REALLY know who did it. Keep this as a secret between you and me, but it was Narg.

Thank God. We can finally put to rest the endless pointless debates (eventually).
Can we? I'm sure some people will try to find a way to spin it as someone other than who it is revealed to be. RJ saying it wasn't so didn't kill Taimandred.

Was it only me that got confused by: "Perrin blew the Horn of Valere.", I might have forgotten that incident but I pretty sure that Perrin never blew the Horn of Valere!

Any explanations?

He was joking

LoL, stupid me, nvm me I got no humor...erhm!

Thank God. We can finally put to rest the endless pointless debates (eventually).
Can we? I'm sure some people will try to find a way to spin it as someone other than who it is revealed to be. RJ saying it wasn't so didn't kill Taimandred.

True, but then again that was never in a book.

Maybe I'm mistaken but didn't he say narg killed Asmodean.

Yes. The DO resurrected Narg as a Myrddraal named Shaidar Haran. Also, he can channel now, which meant he warded himself prior to hiding in Asmo's closet.

"Narg know sometimes they come back."

Foreshadowing of what was to come...?

;)

True, but then again that was never in a book.
Taimandred was disproved by things in the books - like Demandred not recognising Flinn, a man Taim would certainly recognise. Even if Graendal walked around with an "I killed Asmo" t-shirt, wearing a badge saying "I heart killing Asmo", thinking to herself almost constantly about how much satisfaction she got killing Asmo and asking to be addressed as Graendal, Slayer of Asmodean! then someone is almost bound to put forward the case for Moiraine or Bashere or someone, and finding new scraps of evidence hinting at her being the killer.

So what do you think? At this rate, he's hinted that after this first 400K, he has about 200K or so more to do.

My guess is that they'll start the final editing around July, and by then they will have decided whether or not they want to do one release of a huge volume, a single release of a two volume piece or two releases in short succession.

My personal preference would be the one release of a two volume piece within a year. Sanderson works pretty fast, and he seems to have his heart set on getting this thing out in the form it needs to be read in, as soon as possible.

I don't take well to the whole shelf space argument that some like to cling to. It's rather ridiculous in an age that uses the internet, and can get just about anything delivered to their doorstep with the click of a mouse. Pre-ordering, ebooks, audio books. It's archaic to think in these terms.

Sanderson should champion the cause of a single release simply to spite the industry that can't even get more than one copy of his books on shelves despite the fact that he's co-penning the final act of the greatest fantasy epic ever attempted.

Shelf space...What a joke.

Have we not all been to a book store and walked up to the RJ section? Maybe if they would drop trying to sell music CDs, movie DVDs, and coffee and muffins, they'd have the shelf space to put a few more copies of actual books up.

I've walked into three separate big chain stores looking for a copy of Well of Ascension. Two of the stores only had Elantris. One had Elantris, Mistborn One, and Hero of Ages. A total of five books by Brandon Sanderson...not titles, but actual books. 5 in three stores. Shelf space indeed.

I don't care how long it is, one volume or 2 as long as I get it. And the Audio Version of it read my Kate Reading and her husband Micheal Kramer. They do the best of all the versions I have heard. And listening time doesn't bother me either the longer the better. :D

comparing listening lengths of Unabridged versions

Eye Of The World -  29 hours and 32 min.

The Great Hunt - 26 hrs and 8 min

The Dragon Reborn - 24 hrs and 31 min

The Shadow Rising - 40 hrs and 31 min

The Fires Of Heaven - 36 hrs and 34 min

Lord Of Chaos - 41 hrs and 37 min

A Crown Of Swords - 30 hrs and 31 min

Path Of Daggers - 23 hrs and 26 min

Winters Heart - 21 hrs 54 min

Crossroads of Twilight - 26 hrs and 3 min

Knife Of Dreams - 32 hrs and 29 min

that's around 330 hours of audio plus or minus and all excellently done IMHO.

Now if AMOL is 100+ hours I'm fine with that Audio books are what keep me entertained at work :D

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

I've walked into three separate big chain stores looking for a copy of Well of Ascension. Two of the stores only had Elantris. One had Elantris, Mistborn One, and Hero of Ages. A total of five books by Brandon Sanderson...not titles, but actual books. 5 in three stores. Shelf space indeed.

I bet they had a whole damn section for Goodkind though :(

I don't take well to the whole shelf space argument that some like to cling to. It's rather ridiculous in an age that uses the internet, and can get just about anything delivered to their doorstep with the click of a mouse. Pre-ordering, ebooks, audio books. It's archaic to think in these terms.
What percentage of sales are from book shops, taken off the shelves? If it's a big percentage, surely it makes sense to not intentionally piss off those retailers who will make up a big part of your sales?

Sanderson should champion the cause of a single release simply to spite the industry that can't even get more than one copy of his books on shelves despite the fact that he's co-penning the final act of the greatest fantasy epic ever attempted.
Yes, go out of your way to spite the industry that sells your books. Penning "the final act of the greatest fantasy epic ever attempted" is all well and good, but it's sales that are important. If he's worth 1 books worth of shelf space, give it to him. If he's worth more, give him more, if he's worth less give him less. They can't fit everything in, and they have to prioritise. It makes sense to devote more space to authors who sell more, and less to authors who sell less.

Have we not all been to a book store and walked up to the RJ section? Maybe if they would drop trying to sell music CDs, movie DVDs, and coffee and muffins, they'd have the shelf space to put a few more copies of actual books up.
Because heaven forbid a business should try to maximise profits...presumably, they have things like CDs and muffins because those things will make them money. Expanding the Brandon Sanderson section might not make them quite as much.

Unfortunately, Terry "I don't write fantasy, I write books with important human themes" Goodkind sells more than Sanderson. Aside from kicking his jaw in, what can you do?

What percentage of sales are from book shops, taken off the shelves? If it's a big percentage, surely it makes sense to not intentionally piss off those retailers who will make up a big part of your sales?

Yes, go out of your way to spite the industry that sells your books. Penning "the final act of the greatest fantasy epic ever attempted" is all well and good, but it's sales that are important. If he's worth 1 books worth of shelf space, give it to him. If he's worth more, give him more, if he's worth less give him less. They can't fit everything in, and they have to prioritise. It makes sense to devote more space to authors who sell more, and less to authors who sell less.

Because heaven forbid a business should try to maximise profits...presumably, they have things like CDs and muffins because those things will make them money. Expanding the Brandon Sanderson section might not make them quite as much.

Unfortunately, Terry "I don't write fantasy, I write books with important human themes" Goodkind sells more than Sanderson. Aside from kicking his jaw in, what can you do?

What soulless Capitalist principles you keep to are your own business, sir.

The issue is a little more personal to a fan than profit margins. Yet, time and again there is always someone willing to take up the torch for the corporate sensibility, spreading understanding of market shares, consumer incentives and other terms that pretty much add up to: "who gives a crap about the art?"

I find your rebuttals pretty contrary. Grow a pair.

Why shouldn't it annoy an author when an industry pretty much ignores an entire genre, unless it appeals to teenage girls who listen to the Jonas Brothers?

Sanderson finishing Jordan's classic is a big deal. Yet you walk into a Borders or Barnes and Noble, and I guarantee you 90% of the time, if you mention Brandon Sanderson, and even Robert Jordan, the ignoramus sitting behind the customer service desk will give you a blank look and go "umm...lemeee seeeeee..." and start nervously tapping away at his or her computer keyboard to look it up.

So go ahead and go to bat for that industry, who cares so much about what you care about. Go buy a frappachino while you're at it and sip at it while coyly trying to hit on a Naruto fan in the graphic novel section. I'm going online to pre-order my copy of Memory of Light, with the audio version if available. and when I get the copies, I will get in my car and drive by the Mall, past BArnes and Noble, with my book weighing a ton in my lap, and I'm going to waste the gas to simply stick my hand out the window and give those a******S the finger.

What soulless Capitalist principles you keep to are your own business, sir.

The issue is a little more personal to a fan than profit margins. Yet, time and again there is always someone willing to take up the torch for the corporate sensibility, spreading understanding of market shares, consumer incentives and other terms that pretty much add up to: "who gives a crap about the art?"

I find your rebuttals pretty contrary. Grow a pair.

Why shouldn't it annoy an author when an industry pretty much ignores an entire genre, unless it appeals to teenage girls who listen to the Jonas Brothers?

Sanderson finishing Jordan's classic is a big deal. Yet you walk into a Borders or Barnes and Noble, and I guarantee you 90% of the time, if you mention Brandon Sanderson, and even Robert Jordan, the ignoramus sitting behind the customer service desk will give you a blank look and go "umm...lemeee seeeeee..." and start nervously tapping away at his or her computer keyboard to look it up.

So go ahead and go to bat for that industry, who cares so much about what you care about. Go buy a frappachino while you're at it and sip at it while coyly trying to hit on a Naruto fan in the graphic novel section. I'm going online to pre-order my copy of Memory of Light, with the audio version if available. and when I get the copies, I will get in my car and drive by the Mall, past BArnes and Noble, with my book weighing a ton in my lap, and I'm going to waste the gas to simply stick my hand out the window and give those a******S the finger.

You sound to much like me. I have given up on brick and morter book stores at least when it comes to getting decent fantasy novels. Unless it's Forgotten Realms or Harry Potter most stores have few sections with entire runs of a series in stock. It's why I like Amazon.com plus I can get comics there as well. :D

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

"Sanderson finishing Jordan's classic is a big deal. Yet you walk into a Borders or Barnes and Noble, and I guarantee you 90% of the time, if you mention Brandon Sanderson, and even Robert Jordan, the ignoramus sitting behind the customer service desk will give you a blank look and go "umm...lemeee seeeeee..." and start nervously tapping away at his or her computer keyboard to look it up."

current population estimates for the United States: 305,975,000

sales figures by Sanderson (very roughly): 10,000-15,000-20,000

(Your personal favourite writer is not everybody's favourite writer. You must take things as they are.)

Archived