spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

The guy that make Rand the telescope (drawing a blank on his name)told Rand that he could build him one that could see all the way to Caemlyn as long as the lens was big enough and the tower was high enough.  He also stated that there were limits even then which would not be the case if the world was not round

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, was this before or after the Michelson-Morley experiment?  I don't remember when exactly Tolkien began writing, and I'm too lazy to look it up.  :P

After. The experiment was in 1887, Tolkien was born in 1892 and began writing The Silmarillion in 1917.

Right.  I knew the year of the experiment and that Tolkien wrote around the time of WWI, I just didn't know how old he was at the time and when he'd begun writing.

• 6 months later...

Changed vote to Both.  The Morenal Ocean only accounts for only one axis (the one that goes through East and West).

Unless someone can show a place that is both North and South, I think I might stick to this option.

so it's a donut? 

Om nom nom

From examining the whole world map (page 146 in my copy), it seems that going roughly north from the area between the Mountains of Mist & Spine of the World in a strait line would result in coming south into the Seanchan continent.

From examining the whole world map (page 146 in my copy), it seems that going roughly north from the area between the Mountains of Mist & Spine of the World in a strait line would result in coming south into the Seanchan continent.
Or getting eaten by a Trolloc.

Do DM forums have the Hall of Shame area, if not they should and this topic deserves the number one spot in there  :D

I take it you are quite new here?

Trust me, there has been threads far more out in Loonyland than this one.

Also: riding a boat (or swimming) from the coast of the area roughly south in a strait line, crossing the south iceberg along the same line, riding a boat (or swimming) the rest of the way; that would result in coming north into the Seanchan continent.  Both provided that the traveler survives the landscape.

The guide tells there are no Trollocs in the Seanchan continent.

Do DM forums have the Hall of Shame area, if not they should and this topic deserves the number one spot in there  :D

I take it you are quite new here?

Trust me, there has been threads far more out in Loonyland than this one.

Crazy Mike comes to mind.  :D

I heart this thread--I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants the first time I read it! Thanks for dredging it back up again, mb.

.....You see, I actually read through this whole thread, because it was fun (I actually didn't know that RJ had expressly said that Randland was our World in a different Age--so this thread taught me something!), but I'm still not sure if you are joking or not.  Now, you HAVE to be.  You just suggested going straight NORTH from the area between the Mountains of Mist and Spine of the World, and didn't expect to get ate?  Which of the northernmost Randland nations were you intending to pass through headed North?  Saldaea, Kandor, Arafel, or Shienar?  And can you think of any reason why you might get ate by a Trolloc after passing through?

(Hint:  In the upper right side of the map that's in the front of all of the books, you'll see a little bulge marked at the very top, with the words 'Shayol Ghul' next to it.....;))

**Edit: As a side note, the snarkiness of the comment was meant to express support with your joke, not to be nasty, if you actually meant that as a serious question, I apologize, and should have treated it with more respect.**

Hence the "or". You make it to Seanchan, or you get eaten. Not you make it to Seanchan and you get eaten. You see the difference? Passing north in the manner you suggest involves passing through the Blight, where the Trollocs live, and thus there exists the possibility of getting eaten.

Crazy Mike comes to mind.
CrazyMike set the standard quite high for loony theories on this board.

**Edit: As a side note, the snarkiness of the comment was meant to express support with your joke, not to be nasty, if you actually meant that as a serious question, I apologize, and should have treated it with more respect.**

He's serious; he never jokes, nor does he "get" most of the jokes others post in his threads.  :-\

For someone who doesn't Joke, mb certainly provides me with hours of entertainment. Mr Ares' replies to this thread had me laughing so hard I nearly choked on my dinner. My cats are looking at me like I'm a total weirdo.

Seriously, mb, are you a robot in disguise?

• 1 month later...

There are 12 votes for something other than round, I think 3 are from mb, which means 9 people may have voted something other than round, why???? 

Also if someone could kindly inform me about the mad mike thing and at what point where RJ has revealed to us we are the first age, and how we get from modern tech to the power?  Also, curiously, does anyone know if the Age of Legends is the second age or if it's part of the third age, and in what age did men and wolves hunt together, and what age are the portal stones from?  If we are the first age, and those things predate the age of legends, it leads me to believe that the age of legends is also part of the third age.  Making the age of legends not so much an age as an era.  sorry for going off topic on an old topic here, but i only got to this topic by way of the link in the is Rand sane topic, and after reading both topics I am questioning my own sanity.  so please forgive my topical meandering.

That our age is the 1st Age is something we can conclude from the stories that exist, like Mosk and Merk, Lenn who flew to the Moon, queen Alsbet, the Mercedes Benz star in Tanchico etc.

The AOL is the 2nd Age, an age of its own. It has a very distinct start, the apperance of channeling, and a just as distinct end, the Breaking, which also marks the start of the 3rd Age. The 3rd Age that soon will end with the DO breaking free and laying the smackdown on that puny Dragon, mwahaha!

Uhm, ignore that last part ;D

Archived