spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

This thread is to discuss the shape of the world in the "Wheel of Time" series.

About the poll::

By round, I refer to travel (walk, swim, fly, etc) in either direction without passing an edge.

By flat, I refer to there being a boundary in either direction.

With both, one axis takes one of those descriptions and the other axis takes the other description.

With neither, someone could probably imply some sort of imaginary shape.

Whichever your decision, use the books and Robert Jordan talks as support.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus the WoT world is our world, which last time I checked was round.
Heretic! Burn him!

Voted flat.  The calendar seems to be one indicator. Various geographical terms seem to be another.
On a slightly more serious note, what on Earth makes you think that?

Earth based fiction does not necessarily mean round world.

Tolkien's Roverandom was sort of based on our world and its world is flat.

Voted flat.  The calendar seems to be one indicator. Various geographical terms seem to be another.

The place called "end of the world"; a round world cannot have a end.

Edit::  About calendar, often flat-world fiction has a different dating system than ours.

Earth based fiction does not necessarily mean round world.

Tolkien's Roverandom was sort of based on our world and its world is flat.

The place called "end of the world"; a round world cannot have a end.

Edit::  About calendar, often flat-world fiction has a different dating system than ours.

World's End is clearly not near the end of the world as the map shows, just the west end of the Westlands (the end of the known world).  Whether the Westlanders believe their world is flat has no bearing on whether it is actually flat.  The Spine of the World doesn't mean the world is alive and has a skeleton.  It's just a name.

Earth based fiction does not necessarily mean round world. Tolkien's Roverandom was sort of based on our world and its world is flat.

The place called "end of the world"; a round world cannot have a end. Edit: About calendar, often flat-world fiction has a different dating system than ours.
Land's End, Finistere and Cape Finisterre, in Britain, France and Spain respectively, prove you wrong. The calendar proves nothing, as round world fiction can still have a different calendar. Is there anything about the calendar that implies it belongs to a flat world? It's quite simple. It is set on earth, earth is round, the world in the books is round. There is nothing to say any different. The Aelfinn and Eelfinn inhabit another world.

And why is there a both option?  How can something be both flat and round?  If you're referring to the hyperbolic theory about the shape of the universe, I'd hardly consider that to be both flat and round, though it depends on your definition of flat and round.

And why is there a both option?  How can something be both flat and round?  If you're referring to the hyperbolic theory about the shape of the universe, I'd hardly consider that to be both flat and round, though it depends on your definition of flat and round.

I explained the options in the opening post.

For the life of me, I cannot find the quote or reference, but here it goes.

When Avienda fled from Rand when he walked in on her bathing, she went to Seanchan. It was night in Rhudien and day in Seanchan. Time zones. Unless the world is flat and two sided, the world must be round. Rand even comments about it after he's done doing his thing in the igloo, thinking that much time couldn't have passed.

The reference I am looking for is a letter to robert jordon about if he made a mistake, but he replied that he knows exactly how far seanchan is from the waste.

EDIT: Haha, found it

T.McCormick: Question 3

In tFoH, in the chapters "The Far Snows" and "A Short Spear," was

the timing of events deliberately precalculated by him, or not? If the

first is true, I'm not asking for an explanation -- presumably we'll get

that in a later book.  I'm just asking for a yes or a no.

(If he wants to know why the question was put, please just say the

two words "time zones.")

Robert Jordon: Anwser 3) Yes, the timing was calculated. I know how far to the west

Seanchan lies.

The Spine of the World doesn't mean the world is alive and has a skeleton.  It's just a name.

That made me LOL real loud! ;D

Rand world is round. We know this, as others have stated, because our world is round and WoT world is our world..RJ said so!! Simple.

The End. :D

Time zones. Unless the world is flat and two sided, the world must be round.

There are non-round fictional worlds that have time zones.

Rand world is round. We know this, as others have stated, because our world is round and WoT world is our world..RJ said so!! Simple.

Where did Robert Jordan say that the Wheel of Time world is round?

Like I pointed earlier, Earth based fiction does not necessarily mean round world.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wheel of Time world is our world in both the distant future and distant past. It says this, multiple times, in the books. RJ has confirmed it in interviews.

Our world is round.

The Wheel of Time world is round.

Sorry, but which part of this progression escapes you?

Archived