• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are 12 votes for something other than round, I think 3 are from mb, which means 9 people may have voted something other than round, why????

You made two mistakes:

-Only 1 choice is possible for each vote in this poll.

-If you read my earlier posts in this thread, you would know what my current choice is.

Those 12 votes are 12 different people; I do not know their reasons.

• 5 months later...
But now we know all worlds are round....

Of the worlds scientists discovered, all those have been round.  We do not know whether it is so with the undiscovered worlds.

Also, there are explicitly (or implicitly) flat worlds in other fiction.

(Silmarillion; Narnia series; maybe others)

Yes Ed...but we are us, and they are they, Randland is not Earth as we know it though I don't doubt it is Earth in book form with no name so we call it Randland.  And during this time of Earth life they think it's cubed.  The comparison to what we think doesn't actually matter in this case.  And even if they don't think it is cubed but instead think it is round, then the comparison is fine since we call it four since the days of thinking of Earth as flat, they just add in 4 more in the form of a cube and think of it that way while knowing its round.  Cool glad thats settled.

Randland is Earth...

We were the 1st Age...

o.0

The breaking messed up the geography, not the basic shape of the world...

I seriously don't think they think it is a cube, just because they say 8 corners.

You sir, made no sense in that post.

In that post, I said that they don't think it is a cube but use a cube to define 8 corners.  Please show me where it says we are the 1st age, not doubting it was written just that I haven't seen that in any RJ writing and it doesn't count as true if its just your opinion...lol  Thanks in advanced in case I missed this somewhere.

In that post, I said that they don't think it is a cube but use a cube to define 8 corners.  Please show me where it says we are the 1st age, not doubting it was written just that I haven't seen that in any RJ writing and it doesn't count as true if its just your opinion...lol  Thanks in advanced in case I missed this somewhere.

It hasn't been stated directly that our age is the FIRST Age (I think numbering them is silly, as it's cyclical, and there is no first and last, but if we do consider this the THIRD Age, as the people of who call their own Age the First Age do, then we'll go off of that). However, Jordan has stated that our current Age is one of the seven Ages of the Wheel of Time world. In The Fires of Heaven, Thom makes references to the oldest stories he knows, from "the Age before the Age of Legends", and the references are from the twentieth century, also confirmed by Jorda. Queen Alsbet is Queen Elizabeth. Mosk and Merk are Moscow and America. Lenn riding to the moon in the belly of an eagle is John Glenn, and the eagle portion comes from Armstrong's comment "the eagle has landed". So, unless there was an Age between our Age and the Age of Legends that Thom isn't aware of, which is possible, the world as we know it is the Age before the Age of Legends.

Which would make it the first age "technically" but also begs the question of what age was the age of legends, because I am under the impression that after the Last Battle of the current WoT Age, that being "considered" the third age as said in RJ's opener for every chapter 1 of every book in the series.  The 3rd age is currently just past the 1000 year mark or if i'm not mistaken or maybe just before it which is where my thoughts on year count come in to question.  How long is an age.  If indeed the 4th age starts after the last battle is over, then that is only 1000 years.  But the AoL is 3000 years past am I wrong.  I really hope i'm not confusing something.  If either of you see where I'm going with this then please fill in my blanks...lol.  And okay yes I remember Jordan touching on those references but like I said it is "considered the 3rd age by SOME" so just for nit pick sake it may not be that and if i'm right about the AoL being 3000 years past and ages are 1000 years each...then that would make this age the 5th age by your logic (only if the 1000 is correct and i'm not on crack but i have no desire to look up that info right now as  I have an early tee time tomorrow..lol)  So like i am saying if 1000 is the case, we would have to be in the 5th age, with 4 ages previous in order to make our time the 1st age and AoL the second. that leaves 3 ages from AoL by that count. 

That begs another question, Yes Jordan confirms those memories, but now I get to wondering if this is the age we grew into from our age of Non-channeling to channeling or is our time now a result of channeling being wiped out due to evolution of technology and scientific advancement to where channeling became unused and our our kind just lost it as a gene.  Or did we grow from non channelers to channelers and if so how?  too many questions?  and i'm fairly sure I rambled way too much here.

I believe the current Age is just past the 300 year mark. By all counts we have.

I don't think there is a set amount of time to an Age. the end of an Age comes when somethings HUGE happens.

We don't know how long the AoL was (do we?). All we have is that this Age has been going on for 3000 years.

Some guy meditated and found channeling...I don't know...

We went from non-channelers to channelers.

You were pretty confusing, but I think I got everything. :D

The only thing I gather from the AoL is that it was LONG. Consider that channelers likely lived more than half a century, if not longer, and that the 'prime of life' for non-channelers was in the 60s. It would strike me that the Age would have to be long, considering that there was a game (sha'rah) that seemingly references one of the incarnations of the Dragon, yet no memory remains of him otherwise.

As for the Third Age, most hold that the Third Age has lasted since the breaking, that is, it's been over 3000 years. This would make the Age of Legends the "Second Age", though I doubt it was ever labeled as such before the Fourth Age. However, do the people of the Fourth Age think the same way? Or do they reference the three periods after the Breaking in the name they give themselves? I'm pretty sure that this current Age is 3000+ years. When asked a question where the Age was referenced to have 3000 years, Jordan didn't make any corrections to the questioner.

Ed you really are 1 of maybe 5 that could possibly have deciphered what I was actually saying in that half asleep mind drain I wrote out last night.  Thanks for clarifying the timeline but let me ask if you might know, does the Breaking end the AoL or not.  If so then this ages number is at 998 AB or something right, and that means After Breaking obviously...I hate that I don't have the info in front of me so if you can short cut it and tell me if thats correct or in the vicinity then I thank you sir.  And if I am right then it isn't 300 but almost 1000 years in right?

Archived