DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sorry, but Lan ain't dying ; )

bjclinton

Ever since the 4th book, we've known that Moiraine has had very specific plans on Lan's bond eventually getting passed onto Nynaeve. To paraphrase her reasoning it was to "keep him alive so that he would not kill himself uselessly in some revenge quest or in a never-ending battle in the blight that he could not win." for the first reason.....for the 2nd, it was because there was "another woman that was going to need him, much like she did, to show her the ways of the world, to protect her and to teach her all the hard lessons that Moiraine learned from Lan during their many years together." Its been obvious to anyone reading these books who THAT would ultimately end up being.

Anyway, you've all read the books...its way too much effort to get the exact quotes so please forgive my rough paraphrasing ;)

The point is, does anyone really believe that Moiraine is going to have the bond passed to Nynaeve just for Lan to die in the final book? No WAY. RJ has had this series planned out pretty much from the word go- in fact, he has known the ending of this whole series (originally meant to be a trilogy, lol) from the word Go. That includes Nynaeve and Lan ending up together and then living happily ever after. I think that anyone looking for a reason for Lan to die is reaching for straws. Not only would it be utterly cruel, but it would be so very counter-productive for Moiraine to pass this bond along for the aforementioned reasons. And to date, I can't really come up with alot of big decisions that Moiraine has made that have backfired as blatantly as this would. If Lan were to die (which he won't :), it would contradict her future plans for them together.

You may be wrong but I am inclined to agree.  Generally speaking I do not see anyone of the light and in love in this series dieing.  Many will and do complain about this, and if it was not true it would be more realistic, but I personally prefer it this way.

You may be wrong but I am inclined to agree.  Generally speaking I do not see anyone of the light and in love in this series dieing.  Many will and do complain about this, and if it was not true it would be more realistic, but I personally prefer it this way.

I think even more people would complain if even one of them DID kick the bucket ::)

Lan was on a suicide mission back before he met Moiraine, and then Nynaeve. Moiraine convinced him helping her would be better, and now with Nyaeve he has something to live for.

Which leaves Lan as a highly skilled swordsman wandering around with a group of some of the most powerful people in the world. I'd imagine during any future fights he'd be with Nynaeve too, so again he's pretty much covered.

Then even if he does get hit, he'd be standing next to the best healer in the world. I'd say he'll survive.

Guest Dreadlord

Much as I hate it I have a feeling that Lans days are numbered. I would like to see somebody significant die, but Lan would be too obvious a choice and I would be disappointed if he did die, especially since it seems he now has a reason to live beyond avenging his country

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

He's toast.

Lan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to walk off into the sunset to live happily ever after. I think he'll put himself at the forefront of any conflict ... Tarwin's Gap during Tarmon Gai'don (sp?) isn't going to be a picnic.

I think someone significant is going to die in the final book and Lan, to me, fits the bill. He's come full circle. He has his deathwish, yet he has loved and has been fleshed out by Jordan, but he's still essentially a tragic role.

I think he's for it.

Keep in mind though that Nynaeve will far outlive Lan, even if he does survive Tarmon Gaidon. The stronger a Channeler is, the longer they'll live, right? I think Nynaeve might last 900-1000 years, while Lan is in his 40s or 50s.

He WILL die soon, in any case. While she is still very young too.

Guest Dreadlord

I understand what you mean that he fits the bill, but I think he is too hard and too good a character to kill off. I must admit he does fit the bill, perhaps a little too much, which is why I want it to be someone else who dies.

It was in Book 2 that Moraine tells Lan his bond is to be passed on (I read that chapter last night - I'm on another reread)

If Lan dies, I hope its an epic death! Anything else just wouldn't do him justice.

Something to get the adrenalin pumpin' and the tears flowin'.

I did start a thread on this a long time ago, but I can't find it anywhere  ??? Oh well I'll try and do it and again.

Basically I think Lan will die because a few factors, one being early in the series during a conversation in Tel'Aran'Rhiod where the girls and the wise ones are talking, I can't remember the exact quote but I believe Melaine said "An'allein will die when he learns of your death", I took this to mean that somethin g will happen to Nynaeve which will make people think she died, possibly an ambush on her and Rand where they disappear to try and escape. Then Lan hears and does a suicide attack on the Shadow to slow their march.

Personal preference is that Lan dies as I would like to see Nynaeve as a travelling Aes Sedai righting wrongs and fighting the remnants of the dark in her private war.

I think I made a few more points but thats the only one I can think of.

For original posters points, theres one thing I have to criticise. Your whole argument assumes Moiraine asked about Lan when she passed through the doorway in Tear, but also that when she made the deal with Myrelle it was before she actually learnt anything solid about the future. You could argue that when she did the Accepted Test and the Aiel Wise One test she may have got some hints of the future, but I believe its common opinion that these tests don't actually fortell the future but maybe portal stone futures(?). I may be wrong and I've missed an important point in one of the books.

Consequently she has no idea if Lan will die or live, so she made the deal out of kindness to Lan knowing that her mission would most likely cause her death.

I know some of the main people better die!!  I know the shadow will loose, but come on!!  I want Lan, Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene as well as Perrin and Faile to die!!  I will be very disapointed in RJ if all the main people live.  It would do this story a great disservice to have em all live.  To think you could fight this kind of war, and have all the main players live!! 

Go read the Spider Triology by W Michael Gear, that man knows how to kill off a main player and keep the series going.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I can't remember the exact quote but I believe Melaine said "An'allein will die when he learns of your death"

I took the above in a kind of "you're the only thing he's living for, if you die, he dies" way.

If/when Lan dies I'd like to see a really meaningful death. Him holding off hordes while something vital was going on. I have an image of his body lying surrounded by trolloc corpses.

I did start a thread on this a long time ago, but I can't find it anywhere  ??? Oh well I'll try and do it and again.

Basically I think Lan will die because a few factors, one being early in the series during a conversation in Tel'Aran'Rhiod where the girls and the wise ones are talking, I can't remember the exact quote but I believe Melaine said "An'allein will die when he learns of your death", I took this to mean that somethin g will happen to Nynaeve which will make people think she died, possibly an ambush on her and Rand where they disappear to try and escape. Then Lan hears and does a suicide attack on the Shadow to slow their march.

Personal preference is that Lan dies as I would like to see Nynaeve as a travelling Aes Sedai righting wrongs and fighting the remnants of the dark in her private war.

For original posters points, theres one thing I have to criticise. Your whole argument assumes Moiraine asked about Lan when she passed through the doorway in Tear, but also that when she made the deal with Myrelle it was before she actually learnt anything solid about the future. You could argue that when she did the Accepted Test and the Aiel Wise One test she may have got some hints of the future, but I believe its common opinion that these tests don't actually fortell the future but maybe portal stone futures(?). I may be wrong and I've missed an important point in one of the books.

Consequently she has no idea if Lan will die or live, so she made the deal out of kindness to Lan knowing that her mission would most likely cause her death.

I've heard this one before.

What Melaine said to Nynaeve was to try to force her to exercise some caution in TAR.  Lan was the only thing that Melaine knew she cared enough about to convince her she was treading in dangerous waters.  It wasn't any kind of foreshadowing.

I know some of the main people better die!!  I know the shadow will loose, but come on!!  I want Lan, Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene as well as Perrin and Faile to die!!

Elayne's not going to die until she has her babies, and by then Tarmon Gai'don will probably be over.

As for Lan, he isn't going down without one heck of a fight. As much as I want him to live, I doubt his death would really disappoint me either.

Not unless his death is uncharacteristically mundane, like getting stabbed in the back...

Lan is not going to die until he has at lease a couple kids by Nyneve, probably not for 10+ years after.    Just my Honest Opinion.

I also do not think that he will be dying within the next few months WoT time because he has spent a lot of time around Min and if his death was immenent I think that she would be seeing it by now. 

If Memory of Light lasts longer than 6 months then maybe, but I still think my first comment above will happen.

I did start a thread on this a long time ago, but I can't find it anywhere  ??? Oh well I'll try and do it and again.

The biggest flaw in this theory is that Lan would know of her death through the bond....and if a rumor came to him by way of someone saying she died, he would know it for an untruth via the warder bond.

Sorry, i've gotta stick with my guns on this one- Moiraine's is too damn right ALL the time ;)

Call it what you want, but she knew what she was doing passing that bond on. I think there will be some big deaths, but A- characters....i think we're going to see some of Nynaeve's best healing in AMOL as well btw. I'll go so far as to give Lan a near mortal wound, but he's walking out of this one alive and kicking and will have many happy years with Nynaeve

Except that Lan is not anywhere near Nynaeve, and it does not seem likely they will hook up to fight TG together.

It's been a while, years, since I even looked at a WoT book, but isn't Nynaeve travelling to the Boarderlanders telling them to meet Lan, who is riding to take on the Shadow by himself?  If that is the case, I would think that it is possible that the last stop on Nynaeve's trip would be to meet up with Lan somewhere, along with the convenient arrival of a ton of heavily armed Borderlanders. 

Guest Dreadlord

Lan is not bonded to Nynaeve

UNQUOTE

They were going off the fact that eventually he will be bonded to her.

If Lan dies-and that is a big IF-I think he should kill someone else just as significant. Like Isam/Luc. Thatd be a good fight, although I know a lot of people (not me) think that Slayers death is reserved for Perrin

Archived