DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sorry, but Lan ain't dying ; )

bjclinton

I've heard this one before.

What Melaine said to Nynaeve was to try to force her to exercise some caution in TAR.  Lan was the only thing that Melaine knew she cared enough about to convince her she was treading in dangerous waters.  It wasn't any kind of foreshadowing.

Fair enough opinion, however were both going on different interpretation of the same scene, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Though my main point is still that Melaine said "learns" because the wording just seems to imply that she won't actually be dead.

The biggest flaw in this theory is that Lan would know of her death through the bond....and if a rumor came to him by way of someone saying she died, he would know it for an untruth via the warder bond.

Lan is not bonded to Nynaeve.

Indeed, furthermore I'm unsure if Lan and Nynaeve reunite before the fighting begins, personally I think that Lan and his Malkier will be the first casualties of Tarmon Gaidon so perhaps first half of the book?

The biggest flaw in this theory is that Lan would know of her death through the bond....and if a rumor came to him by way of someone saying she died, he would know it for an untruth via the warder bond.

Yet....

I think its a pretty safe assumption that the bond will be passed to Nynaeve as Moiraine had wished. This is what I was referring to- once it has passed, they would know of e/o's death immediately.

Ever since this series started, all roads have lead to Lan and Nynaeve being together. I find it highly unlikely that RJ would have scripted the final book to have them bonded, meet and then kill of Lan. As someone else wrote, thats totally taking the easy way out...

Yet....

I think its a pretty safe assumption that the bond will be passed to Nynaeve as Moiraine had wished. This is what I was referring to- once it has passed, they would know of e/o's death immediately.

Ever since this series started, all roads have lead to Lan and Nynaeve being together. I find it highly unlikely that RJ would have scripted the final book to have them bonded, meet and then kill of Lan. As someone else wrote, thats totally taking the easy way out...

Im hoping that RJ didn't plan for the final book to be a totally happy ending, I guess I'm just too fond of Malazan: Book of the Fallen, I just think hes going to put a little touch of tradegy in it. Lan dying, Rand exiling himself and never seeing the girls again etc etc

To be honest I think that letting him and Nynaeve live happily ever after is the easy way out... it whats easiest to write and to expect a generally happy response.

Archived