DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Event: Your Thanksgiving Table

• RP - PLAYER

What is everyone having on their table this Thanksgiving?

I am amazed at the lengths that I have seen people already talking about the cooking and preparation for the meal. Complete respect. I hated cooking for the festive season, and so I am very impressed at the industry shown here. 

Not ever actually having celebrated Thanksgiving, there is not a lot of personal input that I can give. But I thought I would share one of my Mum's recipes for a salad just incase someone is needing a last minute addition that requires no effort.

Red Cabbage Salad (sorry I think I just spent five minutes trying to remember what a kool is in English)

Red cabbage sliced to taste (can be shredded or left in strips of a centimetre or more)

Spoonfulls of mayonnaise (to taste depending on how creamy or healthy you like it)

Peanuts or cashew nuts (salted or otherwise, my Mum used peanuts but I find the creaminess of cashews compliment the dish well)

Mix the ingredients. Done. 

The fresher it is, the crunchier the cabbage, the more time it has had the more the mayo will leech the juices out of the cabbage giving more flavour. It is simple, yet I have had people chase me down to ask what my secret was. Just add laziness, I always tell them.

But what amazing creations are gracing your tables this Thanksgiving? 

Edited by HeavyHalfMoonBlade

We are going to a friend’s for Thanksgiving. Her husband has passed away but he was a vegan so we had turkey but lots of vegan dishes as well. I asked her if she was going to have eggplant and she is as well as stuffed grape leaves. He was Armenian. 

My husband is smoking the turkey and I’m making the cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries. I like to add mandarin oranges and cinnamon. 

• RP - PLAYER
49 minutes ago, Ryrin said:

We are going to a friend’s for Thanksgiving. Her husband has passed away but he was a vegan so we had turkey but lots of vegan dishes as well. I asked her if she was going to have eggplant and she is as well as stuffed grape leaves. He was Armenian. 

My husband is smoking the turkey and I’m making the cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries. I like to add mandarin oranges and cinnamon. 

Armenian stuffed grape leaves? That would be something like dolmas? I haven't had Turkish food in forever. Hmm, this thread is going to make very hungry 🙂

That sounds fantastic. The cranberry sauce in particular, with cinnamon? I think some sort of drool protection for my keyboard will be needed.

7 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Armenian stuffed grape leaves? That would be something like dolmas? I haven't had Turkish food in forever. Hmm, this thread is going to make very hungry 🙂

That sounds fantastic. The cranberry sauce in particular, with cinnamon? I think some sort of drool protection for my keyboard will be needed.

Yeah, cinnamon makes it taste way better. 

Yes, I think it is. Those stuffed grape leaves are awesome. We have a rather large Armenian population here. 

I love stuffing too. Actually, I love everything about Thanksgiving food. 

Some people make macaroni and cheese. I think that may be a southern thing. Some have turkey and ham. We are Jewish so there won’t be any ham there. 

Usually we go back to NYC to visit my family. This year we are not going back. We usually have turkey, mash potatoes, green beans, mac and cheese and some kind of desserts. This year I will be making korean bbq. My husband is requesting korean bbq for thanksgiving this year. I will be making pork belly and bulgogi. I will also be making a korean salad and green onion salad and some pickled radish. Of course we will have jasmine rice with it. I'm not sure what we will be doing for dessert yet. 

I actually forgot Thanksgiving this year! lol So, I have no plans really. But I love turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, and good stuffing! 

I usually make special stuffings. My favorites are a port plum and hazelnut stuffing. Toast the hazelnuts, dry, in a pan, and simmer the plums (cut in 1/4s) in the port until plump. Mix and add to a basic stuffing! 😋

• RP - PLAYER
2 hours ago, Ryrin said:

Some people make macaroni and cheese. I think that may be a southern thing. Some have turkey and ham. We are Jewish so there won’t be any ham there. 

I have always been impressed at the range of foods people make. Back home Mac n' Cheese is more of a kids meal, it is great to see it as main course festive dish (I do like pasta). My daughter would like to eat at your house, she has a deep and abiding love for pigs, due to her favourite soft toy, Piglet (who thankfully looks very little like the piglet from Winnie the Pooh).

Your meal sounds like it will be awesome. Wish I could taste your cranberry sauce. I guess I will just have to try making it myself one day.

i suppose it is too late to try and wrangle an invitation to any of your guy's houses? Yeah, I thought so 😞

• RP - PLAYER
7 hours ago, Cairos said:

Usually we go back to NYC to visit my family. This year we are not going back. We usually have turkey, mash potatoes, green beans, mac and cheese and some kind of desserts. This year I will be making korean bbq. My husband is requesting korean bbq for thanksgiving this year. I will be making pork belly and bulgogi. I will also be making a korean salad and green onion salad and some pickled radish. Of course we will have jasmine rice with it. I'm not sure what we will be doing for dessert yet. 

That sounds really good, for all I have not heard of Korean BBQ (except from on these boards). I am so behind the times. Good that you are branching out into non-traditional stuff if that is what you want. You should enjoy what you like, never mind dancing shoes that are too tight.

Are you OK with not going home? That sounds like a big decision, or was it not possible this year? (If I am not prying, of course).

• RP - PLAYER
6 hours ago, Delenn said:

I actually forgot Thanksgiving this year! lol So, I have no plans really. But I love turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, and good stuffing! 

I usually make special stuffings. My favorites are a port plum and hazelnut stuffing. Toast the hazelnuts, dry, in a pan, and simmer the plums (cut in 1/4s) in the port until plump. Mix and add to a basic stuffing! 😋

I must try that stuffing. With Ryrin Sedai's cranberry sauce. Will need to get some poultry and learn to cook properly. Sounds like an easy job 🙂

I'm sure you can have a great time even without a lot preparation. Just get some fish n' chips, you cannot go wrong there 🙂

• RP - PLAYER
35 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I vote we just go crash their parties ... lol

Yay! An Amyrlin that you can follow to the death - or dessert at least! Oh I wish I could, I am so hungry for Thanksgiving food now 🙂

20 hours ago, Cairos said:

Are either of you Asian? My oldest son is engaged to a Chinese woman from Malaysia. They love Korean BBQ and pork belly. When I was visiting them I had to hunt for a fork or I would have starved. My son is very adept at eating with chopsticks. The food is amazing. 

12 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

That sounds really good, for all I have not heard of Korean BBQ (except from on these boards). I am so behind the times. Good that you are branching out into non-traditional stuff if that is what you want. You should enjoy what you like, never mind dancing shoes that are too tight.

Are you OK with not going home? That sounds like a big decision, or was it not possible this year? (If I am not prying, of course).

Korean BBQ is so good. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fbb134a3da1264c129ef0ad877cff922.jpeg

Ohh, yummy! Is that like Sukiyaki I think? Maybe that's the Japanese version? So good! 

My sister-in-law is Vietnamese, I remember when we (my brother and our family) brought an entire roast pig down the street where she lived to ask for her family to allow them to marry. It was so lovely. :wub: Whole pig draped in flowers and all! 😄

• RP - LEGACY

My husband and I will be doing the cooking for us, our son, and my father.

We are having turkey breast, stuffing (adding own stuff to the bag), mashed sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, and brussel sprouts. Got to go to store after I get off work, so likely other food as well, once we see what else "looks good".

• RP - PLAYER
1 hour ago, Dar'Jen Ab Owain said:

My husband and I will be doing the cooking for us, our son, and my father.

We are having turkey breast, stuffing (adding own stuff to the bag), mashed sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, and brussel sprouts. Got to go to store after I get off work, so likely other food as well, once we see what else "looks good".

That sounds so good, too. I love sweet potatoes, and a good combination with the sprouts and the turkey.

That is also the way I go shopping normally. Then get into problems getting everything home as just about everything 'looks good' 🙂 Probably you are more discerning than me, lol.

17 hours ago, Delenn said:

Ohh, yummy! Is that like Sukiyaki I think? Maybe that's the Japanese version? So good! 

My sister-in-law is Vietnamese, I remember when we (my brother and our family) brought an entire roast pig down the street where she lived to ask for her family to allow them to marry. It was so lovely. :wub: Whole pig draped in flowers and all! 😄

It’s Chinese. Hot Pot.

Hot pot is a flavorful broth traditionally served inside a large metal pot. The broth is brought to a boil and left simmering for the duration of the meal. Raw ingredients, such as meat and vegetables, are placed into the simmering broth and thus cooked. The cooked pieces are dipped into dipping sauces for additional flavor. Hot pot is considered a main course and is usually served without rice or noodles on the side. Hot pots can be prepared and eaten at home or in a restaurant.