DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

9 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

I think there's a big difference between laying out the arcs and overall structure, and having the individual scenes identified.  So I expect what we'll continue to get is visions that payoff in the season itself, but few if any specifics that go across seasons that aren't really freaking obvious. So we may get the Finn's speech to Mat about Tuon and his eye, and Min's panicked ones at the Tower or Cairhien, but few others.

We can look to some of the foreshadowing we have already gotten. 
For Mat, he loses and eye, and dressed in fancy "lord Mat" clothes. 
Ishy Visions we saw him hanged, killing a woman and dunking someone's head in a bucket.  I can think of all 3 situations that occur in one way or another in the books, not necessarily with Mat but they all happen.  

4 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

I think there's a big difference between laying out the arcs and overall structure, and having the individual scenes identified.  So I expect what we'll continue to get is visions that payoff in the season itself, but few if any specifics that go across seasons that aren't really freaking obvious. So we may get the Finn's speech to Mat about Tuon and his eye, and Min's panicked ones at the Tower or Cairhien, but few others.

I mean Rafe has already laid the groundwork for future things, Verin, Alanna, the focus on the bond which I think he intends to make that land as a far more tense moment at the end of the series then BS did in the books, it really has the potential to be an edge of seat moment. 

Egwene and her dealing with the pain of dealing with Renna, that foreshadows her being beaten in the tower and hopefully the Toh moment. It was a massive shame they couldn’t do the scene Rafe wrote at the end of season 1 with Egwene saving Nynaeve with herbs and skill, because again that bookends really nicely the end of season 8. 

So there are plenty of moments running through from season to season, if you think about the books most of the really major “prophesy” moments happened once Robert Jordan knew he was getting enough book space to pay them off, so really book 4 onwards. 

I do agree that he has an overall orc of what each season will cover, and then individual episodes are written by the team, and then the director of each episode gets to make tweaks and changes based on how they want to film things, but those main themes and scenes I think have been planned out. 

17 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

I mean Rafe has already laid the groundwork for future things, Verin, Alanna, the focus on the bond which I think he intends to make that land as a far more tense moment at the end of the series then BS did in the books, it really has the potential to be an edge of seat moment. 

Egwene and her dealing with the pain of dealing with Renna, that foreshadows her being beaten in the tower and hopefully the Toh moment. It was a massive shame they couldn’t do the scene Rafe wrote at the end of season 1 with Egwene saving Nynaeve with herbs and skill, because again that bookends really nicely the end of season 8. 

So there are plenty of moments running through from season to season, if you think about the books most of the really major “prophesy” moments happened once Robert Jordan knew he was getting enough book space to pay them off, so really book 4 onwards. 

I do agree that he has an overall orc of what each season will cover, and then individual episodes are written by the team, and then the director of each episode gets to make tweaks and changes based on how they want to film things, but those main themes and scenes I think have been planned out. 

There's a big difference between random foreshadowing, and specific projections of future events, especially of Min's visions. The only show I've ever seen put shot footage in the can for years is Babylon 5, and it didn't do much of it. Given cast turnover risk, I think they'll continue to be careful with specifics, even if general foreshadowing is there

56 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

It looks like Caemlyn might not be in season 3.  maybe that will be a season 4, unless Morgase was already cast?

The thought that occurred to me last night - S3 opens with Domon docking in Camelyn and our heroes offloading, picking up Elaida and the boys, and then most of them heading back to the tower on the way to the Waste. 

There would also be a huge opportunity - move the Finn Gate from Tear to Camelyn, and have Elaida's foretelling come from the Finn instead of an inate talent.  Have the Camelyn library supply the Portal Stone knowledge to Rand, and off to Rhuidean they go.

The Tanchico thing is interesting; Nyn and Elayne are going to spend very little - if any - time back at the White Tower.

Predictions Lanfear finds Asmodean convinces him to follow Rand
Season 3 Focus will be on Aiel, Two Rivers, Tanchico and looking for BA 
The White tower will be politics, introducing Elaida and the fall of Siuan and Leane by the end of the season.
I think things will all depend on if we start in Falme (which is where I hope we do to tie up things and they all start out heading to destinations. )  I mean they could start the whole Lord Dragon thing right in Falme, instead of Tear. 
Or they Time skip and we have groups start out split up. 

2 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

The thought that occurred to me last night - S3 opens with Domon docking in Camelyn and our heroes offloading, picking up Elaida and the boys, and then most of them heading back to the tower on the way to the Waste. 

There would also be a huge opportunity - move the Finn Gate from Tear to Camelyn, and have Elaida's foretelling come from the Finn instead of an inate talent.  Have the Camelyn library supply the Portal Stone knowledge to Rand, and off to Rhuidean they go.

The Tanchico thing is interesting; Nyn and Elayne are going to spend very little - if any - time back at the White Tower.

Why this obsession with portal stones by people? RJ didn’t use them beyond book 4 so I would be happy if they were removed. Rand needed one because he had hundreads of Aiel, if it sticks as it does the end of episode 8 you have a far smaller number to transport so Rand could just learn to teleport. 

6 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

Why this obsession with portal stones by people? RJ didn’t use them beyond book 4 so I would be happy if they were removed. Rand needed one because he had hundreads of Aiel, if it sticks as it does the end of episode 8 you have a far smaller number to transport so Rand could just learn to teleport. 

I won't speak for others, but for me, it's because they don't have to deal with the Black Wind in the Ways (which still hasn't paid off), they help expand the metaphysical world of WoT, and most importantly, because they don't open up the plot issues that Travelling does. Sanderson abused the crap out of gateways, but I would refer you to Blink's fight scene against the Sentinels in X-Men: Days of Future Past to see what you could really do with Travel Gateways in combat.  We've already had people talking about why Ishy didn't just port behind Egwene's shield, and they're right. In world, it can be done.

Portal stones are very rare, still require traveling to and from them (they aren't Travelling's instantaneous), and don't have to deal with paying off the constant use of the Ways needing to pay off with the Wind catching a bunch of people.

But I expect they'll just use a Way Gate.

16 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

Blink's fight scene against the Sentinels in X-Men: Days of Future Past to see what you could really do with Travel Gateways in combat.

Except that I believe the weave for a gateway takes more time than it does for Blink. And I don't recall anyone holding any other weaves at the same time as channeling a gateway. So it could be a problematic weave to try and use mid battle.

I hope that finn gate/arc will be cut out. It doesn't give much to character development. Making it properly would need a lot of money and I can be easily replaced or be done differently.

Any prophecy can be done by other way, for example by Min. Any artefact can be found in Rhuiden. Mo can be imprisoned in White Tower.

Edited by Elendir

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

Except that I believe the weave for a gateway takes more time than it does for Blink. And I don't recall anyone holding any other weaves at the same time as channeling a gateway. So it could be a problematic weave to try and use mid battle.

Moggy's gate didn't look like it took much time at all.  I do grant you that no one held one and channeled something else, but we know channellers can split weaves (Rands bolts of doom), and Gateways were tied off in the books (Avi's bomb).

plus we don't know if they're going to make Gateways power restricted yet.  And I don't trust the SFX team not to want to replicate something that was legitimately cool. So Travelling can't be too easy, or the audience will start going "why don't they just"

Edited by Jaysen Gore

15 minutes ago, Elendir said:

I hope that finn gate/arc will be cut out. It doesn't give much to character development. Making it properly would need a lot of money and I can be easily replaced or be done differently.

Any prophecy can be done by other way, for example by Min. Any artefact can be found in Rhuiden. Mo can be imprisoned in White Tower.

There is one really, really big problem with cutting out the Finn gates... you'd have to come up with a way of taking those players off the board, either permanently, or in some other fashion that can be undone for the end of the story

My prediction is that Mats memories from the horn will fade after the heroes are gone, and then he'll have all these holes in his mind (like in the books). He'll hear about the ter'angreal in Rhuidean, and that will be his motivation for going with Rand. Maybe Mat will feel guilty for flaking on Rand in the foregate in S2 and then subsequently stabbing him with a possessed dagger and that will also factor into the decision

Edited by mogi68

On 10/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, Pandemonium said:

1.  The whole Tanchico plotline is going to get cut.  That means Moghedien will have a different role, plus the Nynaeve and Elayne will have a different role.  I like Caemlyn to replace much of Tanchico.  I also think Juilan Sandar will be cut from the show.  they don't want men protecting women here, and Juilan didn't end up doing much anyway towards the end of the books.

2.  This show desperately needs more interactions between Rand and Matt and Perrin.  For this reason, I think Matt still goes to Rhuidean.  We did see an image of Matt hanging in Ishamael hallucination scene.  I'm still hoping they keep the red stone doorway for Matt in Rhuidean, even if they significantly change some details.  Matt will still need an impetus to go to Rhuidean, and I doubt they will do the 3 question doorway from Tear at this point.  Matt will hang at some point... although they could change everything around.  But I still think they will build on Mat's memories and I think he may still feel like his memories are disjointed after remembering he was a hero of the horn.  So Matt will be exploring all the holes in his memories in season 3.  

3.  Lanfear will definitely be in this show and she might be planting seeds and pushing some of the characters to the Aiel waste.  Her role will have to be different as I don't think they will use mask of mirrors and take away from her acting abilities.  

4.  We will get a meeting of Forsaken, but it will only be 3 or 4 of them as the show isn't ready to introduce all of them yet.  Asmodean, Moghedien, Lanfear, and maybe Sammael will meet.  It's quite possible Sammael becomes the new Rahvin and takes residence in Caemlyn instead of Ilian.  Moghedien is a spider so she will be laying traps, but won't be as directly visible.  I think Moghedien will be installed in the White Tower so she can move the tower coup forward.  Mesaana is not going to be in this show as there will be 4 female forsaken and the other 2 will be Semirhage and Graendal who will show up in later seasons.

5.  White Tower civil war will be set up.  Elaida and Siuan heavy drama will proceed.  Gawyn and Galad  and Elaida and Morgase will be shown in Caemlyn in the beginning of the show absolutely pissed that Elayne disappeared.  They will travel to Tar Valon after the first couple episodes.  Not sure if Tar Valon civil war will conclude at end of season.  

6.  Two Rivers will feature Padan Fain as a whitecloak.  The showdown will be set.  Lord Luc could also be there, setting up all kinds of showdowns for Perrin.  Not to mention Dain Bornhald being there grumbling under Fain's command.  Two Rivers should be epic.  I don't predict Verin will be in Two Rivers though, but probably Alana and her warders.

7.  Lots of Telaranrhiod scenes will happen, and that will help push Egwene to Rhuidean.  I'm not sure what will push Rand there, but something will be setup.  I predict they use the portal stone this time to get there, but the waygate is an option too.  Perrin will also start showing up in Telaranrhiod and spirit hopper will be there guiding Perrin.

8.  One detail from Season 2 was how Elyas told Perrin that his wife was not part of his tribe.  I'm not sure what that means yet... could it be darkfriend?  That will likely get explored in season 3.  

9.  Tom Merrellin.  He is going to return, but where will his role be?  if Matt doesn't go to Rhuidean, then it will be with Matt, but I still can't place him yet.  

10.  Rand going to Rhuidean and experiencing his Aiel lineage.  this will be a whole episode-- maybe episode 3 or 4, much like the focus on Nyaneve in season 2. This  will definitely be in the show or I will rage quit this show.

11.  We will get Couladin set up as an imposter.  And I do think the Aiel showdown in the echo canyon will happen.  This will lead to rain and then the whole showdown with Asmodean which will be the conclusion of season 3.  Will the Choedan Kal still appear?  I think so because they still need a plot device to clear the taint on saidin.  

12.  What will Nyaneve and Elayne do all season?  I don't know but I suspect they may be at the White Tower and then doing a little black ajah hunting along with Verin to nudge them.  They will probably encounter Liandrin and maybe we even get a Nyaneve showdown with Moghedien.  

Any thoughts on who the 2nd Forsaken that Rafe mentioned being in season three ?

I know we have Mogi, so is the 2nd one Sammael who was mentioned in ep 8 of season 2 or Asmodean or another Forsaken we've not had confirmed. 

Anyone thinking we are going to get our favorite talking myrddraal in season 3?  With Ishamael seemingly dead for good, who will take over as leader of the forsaken and voice of the dark one?  

I guess the question remains over what is the Dark One's powers of resurrection. and what does it really take to kill a forsaken.  Why did Ishamael turn to ash and can he be brought back?  is there even enough time for him left with all these other forsaken to introduce?  But if balefire is the only thing that can kill a forsaken who knows what could happen.  

It would be cool and creepy to have Shadar Haran though.  I would love to see SH get introduced when a forsaken screws up and have him get the forsaken back in line.  But that may he a season 4 thing more than season 3

17 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Anyone thinking we are going to get our favorite talking myrddraal in season 3?  With Ishamael seemingly dead for good, who will take over as leader of the forsaken and voice of the dark one?  

I guess the question remains over what is the Dark One's powers of resurrection. and what does it really take to kill a forsaken.  Why did Ishamael turn to ash and can he be brought back?  is there even enough time for him left with all these other forsaken to introduce?  But if balefire is the only thing that can kill a forsaken who knows what could happen.  

It would be cool and creepy to have Shadar Haran though.  I would love to see SH get introduced when a forsaken screws up and have him get the forsaken back in line.  But that may he a season 4 thing more than season 3

I do wonder when we will get SH.  I am thinking end of season 3 or season 4 at the earliest.  I wonder if that is the reason they have left the Myrddraal mute in the show to contrast with SH.  I personally think it was a mistake as I loved how creepy they could be when they decided to speak but it would make more sense in this type of case.

33 minutes ago, Skipp said:

I do wonder when we will get SH.  I am thinking end of season 3 or season 4 at the earliest.  I wonder if that is the reason they have left the Myrddraal mute in the show to contrast with SH.  I personally think it was a mistake as I loved how creepy they could be when they decided to speak but it would make more sense in this type of case.

I'm not even sure we get Shayol Ghul yet, let alone Shadar Haran. Since the seals have been repurposed to capture the Forsaken, not the DO, the whole approach to the end of the book is up in the air.  Plus, given the massive time constraints, I don't know how much Forsaken on Forsaken action we're really going to get

Just now, Jaysen Gore said:

I'm not even sure we get Shayol Ghul yet, let alone Shadar Haran. Since the seals have been repurposed to capture the Forsaken, not the DO, the whole approach to the end of the book is up in the air.  Plus, given the massive time constraints, I don't know how much Forsaken on Forsaken action we're really going to get

I can't predict much but I think they showed with season two that they really enjoy having Forsaken on Forsaken scenes.  They also seem to be universally loved by the audience.