DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ratings: Season 2 (E01, E02, E03) lost 63% of Season 1's audience according to Nielsen

• Community Administrator
41 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Hey it beat out the gen v show debut which is Amazon's next big show.  I tried watching the show and couldn't get past the first scene yet where girl poops all the blood and gore on the toilet

That's literally not what happed, and is a gross misunderstanding of what went on in that scene.

She accidently killed her mother with her own blood, and then accidently exploded her mother's blood, killing her father...
She did not "poop" blood and gore on the toilet... That's not even where "her" blood was coming from.... 

You could have just said "Gen V was to bloody for me". lol 

13 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

That's literally not what happed, and is a gross misunderstanding of what went on in that scene.

She accidently killed her mother with her own blood, and then accidently exploded her mother's blood, killing her father...
She did not "poop" blood and gore on the toilet... That's not even where "her" blood was coming from.... 

You could have just said "Gen V was to bloody for me". lol 

I mean she was on the toilet and all this blood starts coming out everywhere.  I kind of had to take a pause after that... I honestly thought it was period gone bad mutant style when I watched it. but I was grossed out so didn't watch that close.  

• RP - PLAYER

You made me watch it and yes she kills her mother with the menstrual blood of her first menstruation. Mother's milk from a goat's left stone, what is wrong with these people? Your first period isn't fecked up enough? It has to kill your parents and alienate your little sister? What kind of sadists write this crap?

That said it was otherwise pretty good, though super cricket, what are you doing? No man is worth that! Heartbreaking stuff. If only I was a guy and immune to all this stuff.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, Pandemonium said:

Hey it beat out the gen v show debut which is Amazon's next big show.  I tried watching the show and couldn't get past the first scene yet where girl poops all the blood and gore on the toilet

They have decided to go all out on the shock factor for the Boys spin off, I mean, I can't blame them, the opening scene of season 3 with Termite was, well, both brilliant and gross all at once lol. 

But I agree the spinoff is not as good as the main story. 

On 10/30/2023 at 4:16 AM, Scarloc99 said:

They have decided to go all out on the shock factor for the Boys spin off, I mean, I can't blame them, the opening scene of season 3 with Termite was, well, both brilliant and gross all at once lol. 

Lol, I remember the opener of season 3.  It was  basically what gay antman might do.  I guess explosive penile is the word.....   I watched that and the herogasm  so I can't say I'm a newbie to all the shock factor stuff.  I kind of appreciate that wheel of time didn't go that way 

6 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Lol, I remember the opener of season 3.  It was  basically what gay antman might do.  I guess explosive penile is the word.....   I watched that and the herogasm  so I can't say I'm a newbie to all the shock factor stuff.  I kind of appreciate that wheel of time didn't go that way 

I mean the source material for the boys is pretty much the same as the show, and that opening scene was also lifted from a genuine fan theory about how antman would beat thanos although that was a different hole lol. 

So guilty secret I am a massive Pro Wrestling Fan (AEW not WWE nowadays if you want to know). One thing I have learnt from my years of not only loving the on screen, but all the backstage business stuff is that trying to judge success from TV ratings is just silly. So much can feed into a number that ultimatley the TV companies don't care about. Fans can sit and crow about how one week the show was really bad because it lost viewers, and then be confused when the TV execs come out as being delighted with the number because the key Demos are what mattered to them. 

So yes, lets look at the numbers, but, this is streaming, I am far more interested in hearing how many people in total have watched WOT since season 1 dropped, not in a single week, but overall, and in a years time I will be interested in how many people in total have watched season 2. 

I am also intrigued, how many new eyes came to season 1 this year when season 2 was released? 

Some of you don't like the show, we get it, but trying to use numbers to say empirically it is better or worse does not make the argument one way or another. 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Scarloc99 said:

I think its entertaining enough but just light entertainment. I feel the same about the boys to be honest.

Its been a long time since i have got heavily into a non WOT or GOT tv show (probably the early seasons of the handmaids tale).

As for the nielsen stats, it doesnt seem to have done badly?

Edited by trw1972

6 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

Some of you don't like the show, we get it, but trying to use numbers to say empirically it is better or worse does not make the argument one way or another. 

That's true since we really have no idea what is driving the economics of the situation.  What are the metrics that Amazon cares about?  No idea.  

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at numbers and try to get an objective sense of how many people are watching the show and whether that number is going up or down.  

4 hours ago, Samt said:

That's true since we really have no idea what is driving the economics of the situation.  What are the metrics that Amazon cares about?  No idea.  

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at numbers and try to get an objective sense of how many people are watching the show and whether that number is going up or down.  

By all means we can discuss them, but I think looking simply at a number and then trying to use that as an argument to state a point of view is wrong, unless the person doing it is a Nielsen insider who really understands how tv metrics work in detail. 

40 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

By all means we can discuss them, but I think looking simply at a number and then trying to use that as an argument to state a point of view is wrong, unless the person doing it is a Nielsen insider who really understands how tv metrics work in detail. 

For sure.  In addition to the fact that we don't know what Amazon cares about, it's also kind of confusing as to what the numbers actually mean.  

6 hours ago, Samt said:

For sure.  In addition to the fact that we don't know what Amazon cares about, it's also kind of confusing as to what the numbers actually mean.  

With ads coming, would Amazon really want to get rid of one of their top shows that draws over 400 million minutes a week?  Ads should make the economics that much easier for Amazon to make this a sustainable formula.  If anyone doubts the power of ads and  streaming just look at Roku's latest explosive financial report.  Targeted marketing and original programming is the only way to get  views necessary to make good ad revenue. so I really doubt Amazon will kill season 4.  

16 hours ago, books of Robert Jordan said:

No data... (= not in the Top Ten in the Original subcategory)

(According to Nielsen it's under 289.)

Please expound.  Is this in response to someone or are these the latest numbers?  I’m not ratings savvy so what does the Nielsen rating mean?

2 minutes ago, Mirefox said:

Please expound.  Is this in response to someone or are these the latest numbers?  I’m not ratings savvy so what does the Nielsen rating mean?

Exactly what it means. There's no data for that week on the Wheel of Time because it did not hit the top 10.

We don't know if this means it was below the 289M minutes, or if Amazon just didn't report anything to Nielsen.

It would be nice if Nielsen gave us the top 50 shows, so we could see if Wheel of Time dropped below the Top Ten, or if Amazon just stopped reporting numbers.
image.png

On 11/10/2023 at 10:43 PM, SinisterDeath said:

Exactly what it means. There's no data for that week on the Wheel of Time because it did not hit the top 10.

We don't know if this means it was below the 289M minutes, or if Amazon just didn't report anything to Nielsen.

It would be nice if Nielsen gave us the top 50 shows, so we could see if Wheel of Time dropped below the Top Ten, or if Amazon just stopped reporting numbers.
image.png

We don’t know if these numbers are reported by Amazon or taken from the independent viewing figures that Nielsen does using a special box or even paper diaries still. 

This is my point of getting all hung up on the numbers, where do those numbers come from. Also, is this US only, because to be fair as someone in the UK I doubt Amazon cares about US numbers if international figures are sky high. There is this obsession for tv and cinema that the only market that matters is the US and yet it is clear with lots of IPs that they might not do great in America but land far far far better internationally and so are seen as a massive success 

48 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

We don’t know if these numbers are reported by Amazon or taken from the independent viewing figures that Nielsen does using a special box or even paper diaries still. 

This is my point of getting all hung up on the numbers, where do those numbers come from. Also, is this US only, because to be fair as someone in the UK I doubt Amazon cares about US numbers if international figures are sky high. There is this obsession for tv and cinema that the only market that matters is the US and yet it is clear with lots of IPs that they might not do great in America but land far far far better internationally and so are seen as a massive success 

AFIAK, Nielsen gets its data thru Roku TVs thru the Amazon App. 

Basically, there's an option in my Roku TV to opt-in to Nielsen ratings.... I think. I recall getting something about it. I said yes. 

https://www.nielsen.com/news-center/2022/roku-enables-brand-new-cross-media-measurement-of-traditional-tv-connected-tv-desktop-and-mobile-ad-campaigns-together-with-nielsen/

https://www.nielsen.com/news-center/2021/roku-and-nielsen-announce-strategic-alliance/#:~:text=Roku has entered into an,DAI solution with TV programmers.

My last post was something like this

no data

230 million minutes.

Gen V (5) – 295M, The Wheel of Time (16) – 230M, The Boys (24) – 153M, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan (30) – 98M, Bosch (65) – 90M, Wilderness (6) – 58M, Man in The High Castle (39) – 43M

Maybe I should have posted these numbers in my earlier posts, but I thought it's meaningless. Now, they are in the same category (= no new seasons), so maybe it will be interesting to see these figures from now on.

Edited by books of Robert Jordan

11 minutes ago, Guire said:

A few WoT youtubers have been encouraging rewatches of entire season to bolster case for season 4.  It appears completion rates are very important to Amazon.  uh oh RoP.

ROP's numbers were only a little bit below the avg. number of the industry. Just to put things into perspective... And Amazon will not cancel it rigth away, they put too much money into it. (I didn't watch it.)

We don't know Amazon's expectations and intentions, but I don't think  "rewatches" (in other words 'looping', right? 😉 ) help the fate of the series. There were rumors about reducing the number of episodes to 6, they can reduce the budget too, they can do many things.

630 (S1) vs 230 (S2): a gigantic difference, that's why I mentioned cutting the budget and episodes.

As a non-watcher (didn't watch even a second of it), I care about one thing, and one thing only: bringing new readers to the books of Robert Jordan. And it looks like the series helped this process.

2 hours ago, books of Robert Jordan said:

My last post was something like this

230 million minutes.

Maybe I should have posted these numbers in my earlier posts, but I thought it's meaningless. Now, they are in the same category (= no new seasons), so maybe it will be interesting to see these figures from now on.

What do you mean no new seasons?