DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ratings: Season 2 (E01, E02, E03) lost 63% of Season 1's audience according to Nielsen

2 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

Mmm I’m having trouble finding the direct interview, I think it’s on X and I don’t have that. But this short quotes his words exactly. 

This might be off-topic in this thread, but it raises an interesting question: if the writing is in the wall and Rafe knows he’s done after season 3, does he change the story to wrap things up? 

8 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

I take it as not a great sign that Rafe in one of his first interviews post strike made a comment … that indicated he wasn’t sure they’d get a season 4. 

Hmm let me see if I can find that… 

Yeah. That’s not what he said. He was lamenting the fact that the strike limited the ability to promote season 2. 

Sounds like he was trying to get in front of poor viewership numbers. But the show has been doing well and is picking up good reviews. 

48 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Yeah. That’s not what he said. He was lamenting the fact that the strike limited the ability to promote season 2. 

Sounds like he was trying to get in front of poor viewership numbers. But the show has been doing well and is picking up good reviews. 

Yes, he didn’t say, “I’m not sure we’ll get a season 4.” But one can easily read between the lines… 

But I’m consoled by … what has been suggested on this thread… it may have nothing to do with viewership. Bezos has the $$ and can do whatever he wants. Including make 8 seasons of WoT just because… multi-billionaire. 

1 hour ago, DreadLord31 said:

Yes, he didn’t say, “I’m not sure we’ll get a season 4.” But one can easily read between the lines… 

But I’m consoled by … what has been suggested on this thread… it may have nothing to do with viewership. Bezos has the $$ and can do whatever he wants. Including make 8 seasons of WoT just because… multi-billionaire. 

There is also an issue for future IP’s if Amazon picked up a massive fantasy series and then drop the ball and cancel it then when they are up against the likes of Netflix, Disney and HBO in future for other IP’s the authors may look at WOT and say, hmmm I can’t be assured you will actually see this through. 

• Community Administrator
On 9/29/2023 at 9:14 AM, Ralph said:

https://www.nielsen.com/top-ten/

says 515m min

and s1 premiere had 1.16b.

so the op has done the maths based on that

but presumably many of those who didn't watch s1 until the end wouldn't come back, so better to compare to s1e8

5 hours ago, Ralph said:

source? 

and do you mean considering one ep. not three. so a third of the minutes available? in which case it went up a lot

Eps 1-3 had 515M minutes watched.

Ep4 also had 515M minutes watched...
https://www.nielsen.com/top-ten/

*edit*
Linked your post from 9/29/23 showing the 515M mins from the premier...

2 hours ago, grayavatar said:

I feel that normies everywhere where talking about GoT but only WoT book fans are talking about WoT. It just doesn't feel the same.

A: this is true

B: GOT had that there hard R / HBO / Skinemax vibe happening

C - GOT has better early source material to draw on. 

I actually feel that WOT will turn out better than GOT. We now have an accurate reflection of how the writers are going to adapt the series - for good or ill - but they have the whole series to work to. Rafe has gone off script, but still has to get to the sample place.

With GOT, D&D didn't go offscript - they ran out of script. and so far, I prefer Rafe's independently created content more than D&D's

I took a look at the engagement scores and it seems E8 had higher engagement than all the previous episodes of S2? It was also trending on twitter for the first time this season.

For all its flaws i really want 8 seasons but i do worry about it being cancelled. I enjoyed another amazon show (the peripheral) which was cancelled out of nowhere despite being officially previously renewed.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, Jaysen Gore said:

I actually feel that WOT will turn out better than GOT. We now have an accurate reflection of how the writers are going to adapt the series - for good or ill - but they have the whole series to work to. Rafe has gone off script, but still has to get to the sample place.

With GOT, D&D didn't go offscript - they ran out of script. and so far, I prefer Rafe's independently created content more than D&D's

GOT had also better actors (really incredible casting), all the technical part was top-notch due to HBO experience.

I agree that GOT destroyed itself when ran out of source material but I don't think that Rafe is more talented than D&D either,,,his writing is on par with GOT last season.

However, if we want to make a honest comparison, we need to ask ourselves:

given GOT early source material, would Rafe (and his crew of writers) be able to give us something as good as GOT early seasons? For me, the answer is no.

Overall, cting in WOT is not the weak point of the show (even is Rosamund Pike this season has not been great imho)

Many technical aspects seem to have been fixed (even if they still don't know how to do action scenes)

Writing is still the biggest issue imho and not (only) because it diverges abruptly from source.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, grayavatar said:

I feel that normies everywhere were talking about GoT but only WoT book fans are talking about WoT. It just doesn't feel the same.

“Normies” didn’t start talking about GoT until season 3 or 4 though. The Red Wedding was the first thing I remember people talking about “at the water cooler”. 

20 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

“Normies” didn’t start talking about GoT until season 3 or 4 though. The Red Wedding was the first thing I remember people talking about “at the water cooler”. 

I'm pretty sure after Season 1's finale everyone in my circles started talking about it, even people you would never expect to ever be interested in fantasy

5 minutes ago, ilovezam said:

I'm pretty sure after Season 1's finale everyone in my circles started talking about it, even people you would never expect to ever be interested in fantasy

Maybe. But I think it’s fair to say that GoT entered the cultural zeitgeist after the Red Wedding. 

On 10/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, Jaysen Gore said:

Streaming vs linear tv as well, linear tv makes something like GOT a community thing, everyone tunes in at 10:00 pm on a weds night and watches and then talks about it tomorrow. Streaming tv is very different, about half the people I know who watched season 1 where waiting for season 2 to drop before binging it, while also lining up Ashoka, One piece and other tv shows, they are going to get to it but the immediacy of having to watch it now because it will not be on TV again anytime soon is gone. 

My experience of streaming shows in general is that the water cooler moments are long gone, while I am watching WOT a workmate has that shortlisted but has been devouring foundation, and another has been invested in Changling, or that airplane Apple TV show, or they are catching up on Mrs maisel. We no longer all watch the same things at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Scarloc99 said:

Streaming vs linear tv as well, linear tv makes something like GOT a community thing, everyone tunes in at 10:00 pm on a weds night and watches and then talks about it tomorrow. Streaming tv is very different, about half the people I know who watched season 1 where waiting for season 2 to drop before binging it, while also lining up Ashoka, One piece and other tv shows, they are going to get to it but the immediacy of having to watch it now because it will not be on TV again anytime soon is gone. 

My experience of streaming shows in general is that the water cooler moments are long gone, while I am watching WOT a workmate has that shortlisted but has been devouring foundation, and another has been invested in Changling, or that airplane Apple TV show, or they are catching up on Mrs maisel. We no longer all watch the same things at the same time. 

100%.

7 hours ago, ilovezam said:

Game of thrones had 2 key differences, it was shown on linear tv which meant if you didn’t record it you had to watch it that week really, especially early seasons. And it was riding on the back of the really really successful tudors tv show, I mean it was basically the tudors with a little bit of magic added. Tudors was sexy and bloody and tense drama with knights and warriors and swords etc. It was easy to sweep up that audience.