DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 7: Daes Dae'Mar

SinisterDeath

8 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Also, the author of the site's article, Amy Ratcliffe, is far from "some random journalist"; she is an incredibly well-known and well-respected book author, former podcast host, and freelance writer with a long and distinguished career.

Great. Why does that give you 100% confidence that her secondhand report of something the costume designer may or may not have said should be taken as gospel over what we know from the books? It wasn't placed in quotes. It wasn't an article about lore. And yet it supposedly is the ironclad proclamation of "show lore". 

Sorry. Your evidence is the weakest of weak sauce.

• Community Administrator

In other news.

I went back to the Season 1: Episode 6 Flame of Tar Valon episode, and checked the X-Ray to see if it updated locations at all. I was curious if the hut was located in T'a'R. 

Hint: No, it did not update the location.

However, reading the Ter'Angrael description it mentioned that they can be used to transport people to places or... experiences.

Which is exactly what Moiraine and Siuane were describing in the cold opening. 

So I'm guessing it puts people in what's effectively a dream shard? 

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Why does that give you 100% confidence that her secondhand report of something the costume designer may or may not have said should be taken as gospel over what we know from the books?

Because I know her reputation and her credibility, both of which are high-level.

If the information about the collars only being able to be removed from dead damane didn't come directly from Sharon Gilham and were not objectively true, it would not have appeared in the article.

I’ve been trying so hard to get this to be a trending phrase … 

I’ll bet bitcoin to buttons

that: A) Egwene is freed from the collar next episode and B) she doesn’t die to get free. 

So @DigificWriter
I’m curious which of those assertions you disagree with since you’re so confident in Nerdist journalism? 
Do you think Egwene is damane indefinitely? Or do you think an Egwene Fake-Out death is due? 

You’ve back yourself into those being the only options… 

3 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

I’ve been trying so hard to get this to be a trending phrase … 

I’ll bet bitcoin to buttons

that: A) Egwene is freed from the collar next episode and B) she doesn’t die to get free. 

So @DigificWriter
I’m curious which of those assertions you disagree with since you’re so confident in Nerdist journalism? 
Do you think Egwene is damane indefinitely? Or do you think an Egwene Fake-Out death is due? 

You’ve back yourself into those being the only options… 

There is a third option.  Egwene isn’t that important to the story.  Maybe they had a contract dispute with the actress.

1) Temporarily killing Egwene so that the collar falls off and then immediately resuscitating her thereafter would not be a 'fake-out' death

2) Egwene being rescued without being physically freed from the collar in no way means that she will remain a damane for the rest of her life; it simply means that there is not an immediately available solution to the problem of removing the collar and that a solution will need to be found

Edited by DigificWriter

3 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

1) Temporarily killing Egwene so that the collar falls off and then immediately resuscitating her thereafter would not be a 'fake-out' death

2) Egwene being rescued without being physically freed from the collar in no way means that she will remain a damane for the rest of her life; it simply means that there is not an immediately available solution to the problem of removing the collar and that a solution will need to be found

It might not be a fake out death by the dictionary definition but it certainly would mean there are no stakes anymore in the show if temporary death can be used as a plot device.  

1. Call it what you want. The point is that if she is ever dead and then later becomes not dead, that is a major problem with the lore.  

2. Either there is a solution, which means that you are wrong or there is no solution and Egwene is collared for the rest of her life.

8 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Temporarily killing Egwene so that the collar falls off and then immediately resuscitating her thereafter would not be a 'fake-out' death

temporarily killing Egwene - but then having her not really be dead - is a “fake-out” death. Unless, they talk about it ahead of time…to telegraph to the audience “ok, she’s not really going to die.”  So you disagree with proposition B) because you want to define terms and come up with your own definition of a fake-out death (that’s funny to me). 

You seem to also be saying you disagree with proposition A) she could be free without having the collar off ?? Which in other words is saying “No she won’t have the collar off next episode.”

Edited by DreadLord31

So they need to play some Egwene oragami and then unfold her?

Or

4 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Leave her collared and send her back to the white tower for more training.

Which would be a real great look for the show, to have the only indigenous Australian on the show be the only literal enslaved channeler in the white tower under lock and key under Eliada whom is presumably being played by Shohreh Aghdashloo, whom is of Iranian decent... 

Yeah. That'll go over well. 

Let’s me give you the internet amalgamation answer … courtesy of ChatGBT … for the definition of “fake-out death”… 

“A "fake-out" death in a screenplay or writing refers to a situation where a character appears to die but later turns out to be alive. It's a narrative device used to create suspense, shock, or surprise in the audience. Writers often use this technique to mislead viewers and keep them engaged in the story. The character's apparent death can be a powerful emotional moment, and their unexpected return can lead to plot twists and character development.” 

I rest my case. With AI on my side 😉 

17 minutes ago, Samt said:

There is a third option.  Egwene isn’t that important to the story.  Maybe they had a contract dispute with the actress.

Oh man, what a disaster would that be… if every season you had a different main character bail… 

But that isn’t really a 3rd option because my two assertions were: 

1) Egwene gets the collar off next episode 

2) Egwene doesn’t die to get the collar off 

so, they will uncollar egwene by chopping off her head and reattaching it.

i suppose they will also chop off renna's head and reattach it. because they want to bring renna inside the kennels as part of their disguise, and a damane wearing a suldam robe would draw attention.

oh, well, nynaeve is the expert at healing, so i guess she can chop off her hear, change renna's dress, then reattach the head

1 minute ago, king of nowhere said:

so, they will uncollar egwene by chopping off her head and reattaching it.

i suppose they will also chop off renna's head and reattach it. because they want to bring renna inside the kennels as part of their disguise, and a damane wearing a suldam robe would draw attention.

oh, well, nynaeve is the expert at healing, so i guess she can chop off her hear, change renna's dress, then reattach the head

Didn't Velma use some kind of head in glass jars kind of device? Maybe we will get a bunch of jar heads fighting while their headless bodies wildly channel. Lan can studiously take notes in his new role as Brown Ajah Research/Cabana Boy.

Just now, Guire said:

Didn't Velma use some kind of head in glass jars kind of device? Maybe we will get a bunch of jar heads fighting while their headless bodies wildly channel. Lan can studiously take notes in his new role as Brown Ajah Research/Cabana Boy.

I thought we didn't talk about Velma? 

♫We don't talk about Velma, no, no, no! ♫

4 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

How exactly will Egwene's head be re-attached?

If it’s a “Nynaeve OP explosion of emotion” I’d be utterly shocked… never saw it coming… 

Writing Room: 

Rafe: So in the finale here Egwene gets freed from the collar, collar is put on Senna, and Egwene delivers the line “Must be difficult to go your whole life thinking you’re a person, only to find out you’re a damane.” 

Writer A: (Cough) Ummm but we made it so you could only be freed from the a’dam by death. 
Rafe: What?! When did we do that? 
Writer B: you told the costume designers that the damane were slaves in collars, kind of like pets…and they thought “collar?” There are collars in fashion. We’ll combine them. 
Rafe: so what are we going to do? 
Writer A) Kill Egwene? 

Rafe: She’s essential to the entire story. 

Writer B) well crap; I guess we could always have Nynaeve explode with power and heal her? 
Rafe: No. We can’t have anybody good heal death, that ruins the story. 
Writer A) Ummmm. How about there’s a secret to opening the a’dam that people used to know about but was forgotten & they discover it. 
Rafe: who discovers it? 
Writer B: Lan? 
Rafe: No. 

Writer A: Perrin? He hasn’t done much yet… or Matt, same thing. 

Rafe: Ok. That’s interesting. 
Writer B: Which one? 

8 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

If it’s a “Nynaeve OP explosion of emotion” I’d be utterly shocked… never saw it coming… 

Writing Room: 

Rafe: So in the finale here Egwene gets freed from the collar, collar is put on Senna, and Egwene delivers the line “Must be difficult to go your whole life thinking you’re a person, only to find out you’re a damane.” 

Writer A: (Cough) Ummm but we made it so you could only be freed from the a’dam by death. 
Rafe: What?! When did we do that? 
Writer B: you told the costume designers that the damane were slaves in collars, kind of like pets…and they thought “collar?” There are collars in fashion. We’ll combine them. 
Rafe: so what are we going to do? 
Writer A) Kill Egwene? 

Rafe: She’s essential to the entire story. 

Writer B) well crap; I guess we could always have Nynaeve explode with power and heal her? 
Rafe: No. We can’t have anybody good heal death, that ruins the story. 
Writer A) Ummmm. How about there’s a secret to opening the a’dam that people used to know about but was forgotten & they discover it. 
Rafe: who discovers it? 
Writer B: Lan? 
Rafe: No. 

Writer A: Perrin? He hasn’t done much yet… or Matt, same thing. 

Rafe: Ok. That’s interesting. 
Writer B: Which one? 

So they are creating an entire cadre of hot male librarians with Sherlock Holmes intuition.  Hmm.  That is a WoT adaptation I never would have seen coming.  Perrin using wolfdream to research prophecy will probably happen.

1 minute ago, Guire said:

So they are creating an entire cadre of hot male librarians with Sherlock Holmes intuition.  Hmm.  That is a WoT adaptation I never would have seen coming.  Perrin using wolfdream to research prophecy will probably happen.

Well… I mean, this is an adaption by a self proclaimed feminist in partnership with Amazon… soooo Im not in the least bit surprised to get Shirtless Sherlock’s for Warders, Male Characters taking a back seat time and time and time again to the females & lines like “We would have been so much better off if you were a woman.” Hard-cut to Egwene OP explosion. 🤨

28 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

Well… I mean, this is an adaption by a self proclaimed feminist in partnership with Amazon… soooo Im not in the least bit surprised to get Shirtless Sherlock’s for Warders, Male Characters taking a back seat time and time and time again to the females & lines like “We would have been so much better off if you were a woman.” Hard-cut to Egwene OP explosion. 🤨

That Siuan line was really rough.  If Dragon was female could she even fix the seal on bore since it was created by male channelers.  Also the whole blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghoul gets creepy real quick. 

8 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

Not that dark; it would be a basic twist over the plot of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, among others, and something someone steeped in the dark and aiming at the throne would be willing to do. After all, we just watched Liandrin sacrifice her child - the reason for swearing to the dark - almost without complaint, if not emotion. 

Liandrin's son was on serious life support, and while living had no real life.  It might have been a mercy.

Bart on the other hand is young.