DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Do they keep acting as if the dragon reborn can be female?

Kazhvar

32 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

She's definitely the main focus of Season 1, but I don't expect that will remain the case. I expect it will be like GOT...there will be 3 or 4 sets of main characters, each story arc will be allotted a certain amount of time, and fans will complain that their favorites got short shrift in the last episode, season etc.

I disagree.

From almost the very beginning of its development, the Wheel of Time TV series has been centered on Moiraine. Rafe, Rosamund, and others have repeatedly talked about her as being the show's main character, she's the only character named in the series' logline, and Rosamund takes 'first billing' on every cast sheet and was the very first person cast.

To me doing away with the Tower of Genji would be like doing away with Dumai’s wells, the Cleansing, the Seanchan attack on the White Tower or the defense of Emond’s field. These moments are iconic in the books, but who knows maybe they will.

Regardless you have to separate Moiraine and Rand somehow. 

24 minutes ago, Katherine said:

I can see how that would be a contract issue with Pike.

At least with GOT once people were gone they were gone. 

There were a few extended absences. Gendry most notably. The Hound, Bran, Meera, and Hodor for shorter periods. Benjen was out for a very long time, but was a tiny role. Rickon came book looking like a totally different actor because he'd gone through puberty, but it was the same guy. None of them are as big a role or actor as Moiraine/Pike, though.

13 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

I disagree.

From almost the very beginning of its development, the Wheel of Time TV series has been centered on Moiraine. Rafe, Rosamund, and others have repeatedly talked about her as being the show's main character, she's the only character named in the series' logline, and Rosamund takes 'first billing' on every cast sheet and was the very first person cast.

They've also talked repeatedly about how this is an ensemble show. And how it's about the journey of the Emond's Field 5. Moiraine will begin to take a back seat to the other characters in the show, just like she did in the books - after people have invested in the characters.

4 hours ago, Vartija said:

I can't get over the fact that he's carried that blade for 6 episodes and done nothing with it so far. 

I'll quote myself and correct myself. I just rewatched episode 2 and noticed that Rand does use the sword to break the latch on the door/gate when he and Mat are fleeing Mashadar. Though he uses it more like crowbar, but still. ?

4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

They've also talked repeatedly about how this is an ensemble show

Titans is an 'ensemble show', but Dick Grayson is still the primary main character.

5 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

And how it's about the journey of the Emond's Field 5.

Swamp Thing's story was ultimately about Alec Holland, but the main character of that series was Crystal Reed's Abby Arcane.

Moiraine is the primary main character of the Wheel of Time TV series and will likely remain so - regardless of what was done in the WoT novels - unless Rosamund Pike leaves the series.

1 minute ago, DigificWriter said:

Moiraine is the primary main character of the Wheel of Time TV series and will likely remain so

Based on what? The fact that she is the main character of S1 and is the most recognizable star? That's a pretty thin reed, especially considering there's really no way to tell the story from Moiraine's perspective given the fact that she's absent for better than half of the series.

7 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Sooner or later Moiriane will fade into the background some so they can push the main characters,  Right now only Nyn has been getting pushed.

And Eggy. And Mat (and Perrin to a lesser extent). But Nyn has been the only one with really big moment. 

They missed an opportunity with Perrin. Valda should have called for guards and Perrin should have slaughtered a couple of them in a rage. 

1 hour ago, MasterAblar said:

To me doing away with the Tower of Genji would be like doing away with Dumai’s wells, the Cleansing, the Seanchan attack on the White Tower or the defense of Emond’s field. These moments are iconic in the books, but who knows maybe they will.

Don't be surprised if such cuts happen.

Be more surprised at those defending such cuts.

I think that equality and inclusivity could have been better served by the introduction of the Ameresu concept, perhaps through a LotR style intro (think Galadriel talking about an endless cycle of battles against the Dark One with alternating male and female saviors). That way, you preserve the worldbuilding and lore of the books, without the massive ramifications and ripple effects of making the Dragon possibly female and degendering souls. Then, you lean hard on the madness and fear of the Dragon Reborn to differentiate it from the classic "white male savior" trope.

Edited by TheMountain

6 minutes ago, Ralph said:

They wanted to degender souls. Therefore they used this to create the possibility of Eg and Nyn being DR

Not the other way round

At least that's what RJII has said

I honestly find that pretty odd though considering the gender of souls is of no consequence whatsoever in the books. It never comes up at all in the books and could have been the exact same in the show. It has no bearing to the story.

Would have made much more sense to me if they wanted to have DR mystery, and therefore wanted to use Egwene and Nyneave for it, but needed to degender souls as a consequence to do so. Well technically ignorance and mistrust for the prophecies could have been enough as well I suppose.

Edited by MasterAblar

1 hour ago, Gothic Flame said:

Don't be surprised if such cuts happen.

Be more surprised at those defending such cuts.

"No but look Dumai's well was not so important in the book. The fact that they replaced it with * insert random BS from Rafe * is actually an improvement. I never really liked it from the beginning"

Edited by fra85uk

4 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

"No but look Dumai's well was not so important in the book. The fact that they replaced it with inserit random BS from Rafe - is actually an improvement. I never really liked it from the beginning"

If I was good at making memes.............

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Dana says only one of you can be it in ep3

With as much a we've heard the defense that no one in this show actually knows anything about what they're talking about for stuff like the Hydra dragon and Moiraine's explanation of the Breaking, I hardly think a line from a totally insignificant minor character holds water. 

2 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

I disagree.

You mean like Sean Bean in season 1 of GoT?

1 minute ago, JeffTheWoodlandElf said:

With as much a we've heard the defense that no one in this show actually knows anything about what they're talking about for stuff like the Hydra dragon and Moiraine's explanation of the Breaking, I hardly think a line from a totally insignificant minor character holds water. 

Don't disagree, just pointing out there is explicit disagreement within the show

And it is possible she means she has heard this from Ishmael in her dreams. Although he can also be wrong of course

36 minutes ago, Ralph said:

They wanted to degender souls. Therefore they used this to create the possibility of Eg and Nyn being DR

Not the other way round

At least that's what RJII has said

Makes it an even more needless change, if that is the case.

In the end, the only connection of the soul that matters is between Rand and Lews Therin. That is the only one that needs dealing with in the story. Talking about other lives is completely pointless. It will just overcomplicate things and take away the focus, once again, from the main plot. 

Nobody else needs their past lives to have any information to them. 

Edited by WOTReader2

I don't really understand why this topic is so divisive. All they've done is expand the original mystery of who is the Dragon Reborn to give some foreground focus to other characters. Aside from losing the symbolism of three, does it really matter?

As for Moiraine, it's worth noting that while she was gone for 8 books (and was hardly in AMoL), those books only covered a few months in-world. If the timeline is smoothed out and reorganised, Moiraine could disappear at the end of one season and return at the end of the next.

Also, it's highly likely the plot quagmire of the later books meant Moiraine was absent far longer than RJ originally intended--which necessitated the out-of-nowhere introduction of Cadsuane. And while I'm one of the few who like Cadsuane as a character, her role could be merged with Moiraine's, should Moiraine return sooner.

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, dwn said:

Also, it's highly likely the plot quagmire of the later books meant Moiraine was absent far longer than RJ originally intended--which necessitated the out-of-nowhere introduction of Cadsuane. And while I'm one of the few who like Cadsuane as a character, her role could be merged with Moiraine's, should Moiraine return sooner.

I think @CaddySedai has a strong opinion on this. ?