DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ch..ch..ch..changes!

Guest Wolfbrother31

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm all for it.

But then they have to give perrin xomething to do for a couple seasons.

Maybe berelain gets kidnapped by the shaido? ?

Or adding in the Perrin-Egwene stuff in season one, allows them to sort a lot of Perrin's character development out early and therefore dispense with most of the Falcon/Hawk jealousy stuff.

10 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Or adding in the Perrin-Egwene stuff in season one, allows them to sort a lot of Perrin's character development out early and therefore dispense with most of the Falcon/Hawk jealousy stuff.

More like justify it.

He sees the issues this caused.  So with Faile he makes sure he is always sympathetic, available and pliable with her.

Then shuts down Berelain.   

Voiloi justification for that whole thing instead of just "I completely misread the situation because."

3 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

More like justify it.

He sees the issues this caused.  So with Faile he makes sure he is always sympathetic, available and pliable with her.

Then shuts down Berelain.   

Voiloi justification for that whole thing instead of just "I completely misread the situation because."

Exactly.  One of the emerging trends among the fandom is for some to assume that every change the show automatically results in the worst possible outcome.  As a result they talk about changes in fear, uncertainty, and doubt terms.   But, in most cases, the changes serve to help smooth over future storyline problems that fans themselves identify.

A good rumored example might happen in episode 8.  

Spoiler

Which may be the result of Barney Harris leaving after episode 6 but they wanted to keep the event in for plot structure reasons.

Guest Wolfbrother31
8 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Maybe berelain gets kidnapped by the shaido? ?

I heard a hot take on the Dusty Wheel last night I thought was interesting...

What if they have Perrin be Eggy's Warder & cut Gawyn? 

1 hour ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I heard a hot take on the Dusty Wheel last night I thought was interesting...

What if they have Perrin be Eggy's Warder & cut Gawyn? 

I think that it would be more likely they cut Egwene having a warder than making Perrin one.

Gawyn could still appear in a more minor role.

One change I haven't thought through in detail - the Dragon Reborn can be a man or a woman, according to the show. 

Assuming this isn't simply a misreading of prophecy...does that mean that False Dragons can be female? This would add an interesting twist. Can we expect to see a Black Ajah AS declare herself the Dragon Reborn (since she's not constrained by the 3 Oaths)? How about a wilder who never trained at the White Tower?

Will Taim be changed to a female character?

On 12/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, TheDreadReader said:

A good rumored example might happen in episode 8.  

Hide contents

Which may be the result of Barney Harris leaving after episode 6 but they wanted to keep the event in for plot structure reasons.

Just for reference, I was referring to Fain in the "throne room" scene here.

I am curious if that worked for people?

30 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Just for reference, I was referring to Fain in the "throne room" scene here.

I am curious if that worked for people?

Think it would have made more sense if it had been Mat and Fain.  In terms of the Fain character they seem to be making him far more of an authority figure/ lieutenant of dark friends. Fades seem to defer to him when in the book it was very much the other way around. Leaving that aside I personally think he would have worked better if they had played him as a good guy then did a twist where he's revealled to be evil. It did not seem like a very significant moment when Perrin first spotted him or when they meet at the end. It also seemed a bit odd that they assumed he was dead just because he was there during the attack on the Two Rivers, seeing as no one saw him die and they left the village before it could have properly been established who was dead or not 

3 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Fain has sort of a Gray Man vibe to him. I think he’s a Forsaken in this iteration. 

That would make more sense although be a major departure from the books. 

Spoiler

Personally I preferred that Fain essentially became a different kind of evil how the dagger gave him power but also turned him into this wild card evil character who had his own personal vedetta against Rand. 

On 12/22/2021 at 10:20 AM, Mrs. Yojimbo said:

YES!  This non-reader complained to her reader husband that the show hasn't effectively presented what The Big Bad is or who/what the Dragon Reborn is/might be. (And before anyone starts listing the times it's been mentioned: I get that it IS mentioned; I'm saying it just hasn't been described or shown in a way that inspires fear or dread to the viewer.)

But then I started to read the first book, and right there in the prologue was everything I was missing: the primary conflict in a nutshell, the horrify possible consequences of the Dragon Reborn. Context.

I have been frankly amazed when people set out to produce entertainment for a living and forget to...

Actually tell the story in a compelling and cohesive way.

My non-book reading friends who I told to watch this are basically telling me they aren't sure why they should be watching this and I believe it is because very little time is spent setting up and explaining/showing what is going on and why they should care.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:25 AM, Elder_Haman said:

Fain has sort of a Gray Man vibe to him. I think he’s a Forsaken in this iteration. 

He was pretty powerful in the books, but it took him time plus a trip to Shadar Logoth to get there. Just prior to that, he underwent a transformation into as a filthy, twitchy, paranoid Dark Friend. I think this was Jordan giving Fain's character the Gollum treatment.

But you're right, in this iteration, we've never seen Fain project anything but supreme confidence...very much like a Forsaken.

4 hours ago, Variant said:

I have been frankly amazed when people set out to produce entertainment for a living and forget to...

Actually tell the story in a compelling and cohesive way.

My non-book reading friends who I told to watch this are basically telling me they aren't sure why they should be watching this and I believe it is because very little time is spent setting up and explaining/showing what is going on and why they should care.

I have had the same problem.  As with GOT, told friends n family to watch this.

They all got hooked on GOT.

With this, they just dont get it.  Mixed up writing.  Even without book changes for them, a few have said the 'men from the start have done nothing, are they important'?

The very few left watching(my wife plus one other) regards the end both just had no idea what the end was.  Some ships appeared and they sent a tidal wave to a beach.  Fascinating.

14 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

It did, purely on the performance from Fain's actor. It made me frustrated that we haven't seen more of him to be honest. 

He really is a great actor, in my opinion. I sure do hope that we see a lot more of him in season 2 than in season 1. Of course, if Rafe and Co. followed the source material in their filming of season 2, which is almost completed filming, then we should see a lot of Padan Fain for this upcoming season.