DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ch..ch..ch..changes!

Guest Wolfbrother31

1 minute ago, WheelofJuke said:

As far as the armor conversation: I typically wear only a cod piece when going into battle, so I can't really comment on how armor may or may not attach to cloth. ?

How does the codpiece stay in place with no clothing? 

8 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

That poor Illianer soldier learns it the hard way during Blood Snow

Do you happen to recall page number and book?  

RJ was a war and history buff so it doesn't remotely surprise me that he thought about this stuff, but I missed him actually drawing attention to it in story.  That and his periodic mistakes about weapons combat always left me unsure of exactly where his real experience was and where he was writing a good story.

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

We did not, but the fight choreography in the warder fight was trash.

Granted, Thom's scene was easier to film - only two moving parts (if you don't count Rand and Mat's panicked escape).

I genuinely feel this fight scene was seriously impacted by covid rules, both the training for it, and the filming of it. I think we need to wait till season 2, where studios and productions have got used to filming around covid to really get a sense of how the action is going to play out. 

6 hours ago, grayavatar said:

Mat is very bland, wot are you on about? Anyway I'm used to blandMat since Brandon Sanderson took over.

The main issue with Mat is that we have barely had 2 episodes of him before he picks up the knife. So all the viewers will really get is Knife affected Mat rushing to a conclusion. Now, I am pleased that they are showing the impact in a more direct way. But they need to make sure post knife Mat does not remain brooding and insular and we get the carousing, womanising, cheeky Mat we know and love. 

As to Mat being Bland later on, he has the memories of the greatest Generals of the age in his head, he has accepted that he will be leading the armies at the last battle and has accepted he must marry his destined wife. He has grown up and matured way beyond his years and so has lost that cheeky side. but he still has my fav moment of anyone in the books, a moment they have to show in the last season. Him wading out into the last battle with the Seanchan just to get a feel for the flow, and that look of respect he gains from those that go with him as they realise that actually, he is Da Man

5 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I genuinely feel this fight scene was seriously impacted by covid rules, both the training for it, and the filming of it. I think we need to wait till season 2, where studios and productions have got used to filming around covid to really get a sense of how the action is going to play out. 

While I didn't mind this particular scene I do hope you are correct.  I would like to see some larger battle scenes with less shakey cam.

11 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

Do you happen to recall page number and book?  

RJ was a war and history buff so it doesn't remotely surprise me that he thought about this stuff, but I missed him actually drawing attention to it in story.  That and his periodic mistakes about weapons combat always left me unsure of exactly where his real experience was and where he was writing a good story.

Official trailer

On 12/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, Sir_Charrid said:

As to Mat being Bland later on, he has the memories of the greatest Generals of the age in his head, he has accepted that he will be leading the armies at the last battle and has accepted he must marry his destined wife. He has grown up and matured way beyond his years and so has lost that cheeky side. but he still has my fav moment of anyone in the books, a moment they have to show in the last season. Him wading out into the last battle with the Seanchan just to get a feel for the flow, and that look of respect he gains from those that go with him as they realise that actually, he is Da Man

The largest problem I had with Sanderson's version of Mat was the letter to Elayne filled with egregious spelling errors.  Mat could be coarse but he did have the memories of generals in his head as well as the books they read.  He could have made his point with childish insults and shared experiences to make her blush.  I felt the letter was out of character at that point.

TV Mat?  To me, he is unrecognizable (and unintelligible).

Edited by Deviations

3 minutes ago, Deviations said:

The largest problem I had with Sanderson's version of Mat was the letter to Elayne filled with egregious spelling errors.  Mat could be coarse but he did have the memories of generals in his head as well as the books they read.  He could have made his point with childish insults and shared experiences to make her blush.  I felt the letter was out of character at that point.

TV Mat?  To me, he is unrecognizable (and unintelligible).

I mean TV mat has the dagger, so is pretty much matching exactly who Book mat is at this point. First Episode Mat is more akin to Mat post the dagger in some ways, I am happy with the changes they have made I like my adaptations to be a little different because it gives me something new to see. A carbon copy I may as well not bother with because I have the books for that. 

Sanderson did have issues, I have tried reading a couple of his own books and never managed to finish one because the style of writing does nothing for me so I am impressed he was able to change his style as much as he did. 

22 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Mat could be coarse but he did have the memories of generals in his head as well as the books they read.  He could have made his point with childish insults and shared experiences to make her blush.  I felt the letter was out of character at that point.

Well...Elayne knows Mat. Do you think she'd have recognized the letter as being from him if he wrote it as a particular general?

56 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Well...Elayne knows Mat. Do you think she'd have recognized the letter as being from him if he wrote it as a particular general?

I didn't say he had to write it as a general.  Mat grew through the story.  He could have made his point with childish insults and shared experiences to make her blush.  

Didn't like...

•     The premise that Egwene could possibly be the Dragon Reborn muddies the story. 
  •     The Head Questioner with a half dozen Aes Sedai rings suggests he has some power over Aes Sedai       and then he is easily killed by Egwene with her first significant use of the one power. WTF
  •      Emond Field in the TV story looks much cruder than it is portrayed in the book. The book paints a       world that is similar to our 1800 just before railroads and industrial machination but the world of           the TV show is more like the 1400's in our world with rural folk living a huts.

• Community Administrator
14 minutes ago, Katherine said:

Wasn't someone in the process of creating a steam engine at Rand's school?

Yep. They had a working prototype, which Rand predictably shrugged off as nonsense. ? 

4th Age, Mat is going to bring Guns to the Seanchan, which is going to decimate any power advantage the Aes Sedai or Black Tower would hold after the LB.

38 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Yep. They had a working prototype, which Rand predictably shrugged off as nonsense. ? 

4th Age, Mat is going to bring Guns to the Seanchan, which is going to decimate any power advantage the Aes Sedai or Black Tower would hold after the LB.

This leads to my long-held 4th Age theory that whitecloaks + firearms = loss of the one power in the turning of the wheel cycle.