DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Laila

DojoToad

42 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

What do you all think about the interactions between Perrin and Laila?

When he visited her in the smithy, she was very upset and he tried to comfort her.  The thing that popped into my head was that she couldn't conceive or maybe had a miscarriage.

Thoughts?

My initial thoughts led me to a pregnancy related thing.  But now after hearing about the Laila darkfriend thing I believe all the tension is from her getting dreams about needing to capture/kill her husband when the time comes.  I believe we will see more of this story played out one way or another as the show progresses.

It seemed like there was also maybe some tension between her and Egwene? Or that was what I thought when they discussed her not going to Egwene's initiation, and then I think it was Egwene who suggested he go home during the partying to be with her. If it is related to pregnancy or miscarriage maybe it's just "women's circle business" and Laila feels uncomfortable around them if they know.

One other thing that seems like a potential clue to her being a darkfriend is the wolf in Perrin's dream eating her. If they stay true to the wolf dreams in the books, I don't think we would see wolves in Perrin's dreams acting that way toward non-darkfriends, unless I'm misremembering his early dreams.

Anyone else think we might get an episode near the end of this season with some flashbacks to Two Rivers? I'm thinking we'll see what was going on with Perrin and Laila and maybe Tam's "I'm not your real dad" fever.

1 hour ago, ForsakenPotato said:

It seemed like there was also maybe some tension between her and Egwene? Or that was what I thought when they discussed her not going to Egwene's initiation, and then I think it was Egwene who suggested he go home during the partying to be with her. If it is related to pregnancy or miscarriage maybe it's just "women's circle business" and Laila feels uncomfortable around them if they know.

One other thing that seems like a potential clue to her being a darkfriend is the wolf in Perrin's dream eating her. If they stay true to the wolf dreams in the books, I don't think we would see wolves in Perrin's dreams acting that way toward non-darkfriends, unless I'm misremembering his early dreams.

Anyone else think we might get an episode near the end of this season with some flashbacks to Two Rivers? I'm thinking we'll see what was going on with Perrin and Laila and maybe Tam's "I'm not your real dad" fever.

Not sure if that is a wolf dream though.... I think that you can see Baal'zamon in the window at the very beginning of the sequence.

58 minutes ago, ForsakenPotato said:

Yeah, that's true. I assumed while reading that every dream that is more than a dream takes place in the same dreamland (wolf dreams, bz dreams, egwene's dreams). Sorry for confusing the conversation if that's not the correct lore!

No, you're right about the same dreamland.  The dream would be in Tel'aran'rhiod.   But, if Baal'zamon is in the dream then it is possible that he is controlling the dream.

16 minutes ago, themann1086 said:

I'm just excited that we're getting to play "is this character a Darkfriend" again. Giving me some real nostalgia ?

Lol this might sound mean but I hope she is a darkfriend or at least that there is something more to her. As it stands she seemed like a pretty pointless character to me and even Perrin didn't seem very upset at he death. There didn't seem to be much love there almost felt like they were estranged, like he'd cheated on her or something.

Found on discord. Maybe not a darkfriend but something is up.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/19/22792149/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-with-zach-baron-and-rafe-judkins

After 1h 45min:

Host: We love a book-reader theory. It has to do with Perrin's wife. I'm going to say a phrase to you, and you tell me if it means anything to you: Darkfriend

Rafe: No, I think that's the wrong.... I don't know this fan theory so I don't wanna engage on it. Laila the character comes from a sentence in the books where Perrin said, "I think if I lived in the Two Rivers a few more years, I probably would've married Laila Dearn". So now that the characters have aged up a few years, that's a nod to who she is. Can you tell me what the theory is?

Host: She seems troubled. The idea is that she's a darkfriend seduced by the promise of immortality (or something). He turns, and she has her axe up, and they think that she was actually going to kill him, because she'd been seduced by the dark side. Because there's a character in the books, that shows up looking like someone from Perrin's family, and maybe this character is being set up to be that person.

Rafe: I shouldn't speak to this probably, but they are noticing things that are worth noticing there. That's all I can say.

14 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Found on discord. Maybe not a darkfriend but something is up.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/19/22792149/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-with-zach-baron-and-rafe-judkins

After 1h 45min:

Host: We love a book-reader theory. It has to do with Perrin's wife. I'm going to say a phrase to you, and you tell me if it means anything to you: Darkfriend

Rafe: No, I think that's the wrong.... I don't know this fan theory so I don't wanna engage on it. Laila the character comes from a sentence in the books where Perrin said, "I think if I lived in the Two Rivers a few more years, I probably would've married Laila Dearn". So now that the characters have aged up a few years, that's a nod to who she is. Can you tell me what the theory is?

Host: She seems troubled. The idea is that she's a darkfriend seduced by the promise of immortality (or something). He turns, and she has her axe up, and they think that she was actually going to kill him, because she'd been seduced by the dark side. Because there's a character in the books, that shows up looking like someone from Perrin's family, and maybe this character is being set up to be that person.

Rafe: I shouldn't speak to this probably, but they are noticing things that are worth noticing there. That's all I can say.

If they are planting foreshadowing , for new theories and speculation, then even with changes (good or bad), then  they will have truly captured a major part of WoT.

3 minutes ago, Windigo said:

If they are planting foreshadowing

Spoiler for episode 2&3 and books of course

Spoiler

Episode 2: I think Rand didn't sing along with the rest. Only a single "long ago" after it was said before. He tried to tap his thigh in rhythm.

Episode 3: Rand breaking through the ("not even three men can break that") inn door is a huge hint and foreshadowing. Just like in the books, though he used lightning then. I love it.

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

Spoiler for episode 2&3 and books of course

Yep,  even the Padan Fain leaving as Trollecs appear was great, though all of those are more easter eggs to fans.  I am interested to see if there is foreshadowing for any of the new changes, that will make the next few seasons interesting. 

Not impressed with them creating a wife for Perrin and then instantly fridging her. There’s a reason that’s a trope, and a bad one at that. 
It’s laziness from the writers who can’t manage to portray Perrin’s conflict between axe and hammer without a literal axe trauma. Making her a Darkfriend won’t really improve things, especially as she’s a blink and you miss it character and the only references to her seem to be somewhat forced things from Matt and Egwene.

Honestly, killing your wife like that would completely destroy someone and Perrin would be a useless mess for years afterwards. 
It’s up there with Matt’s abusive family for lazy and poorly thought out writing. 

Of course there is a lot of foreshadowing. That is the core of the books, too, right?

I mean: who looks up when a pair of black boots step inside the inn? Hmm? Why the look on her face, rather than any other shot? It was a choice that made me smile.

Of course there's going to be a reason Laila was there and why Perrin did what he did. And if it is just to give him a guilty feeling or PTSD than that is in itself enough for me, but really... I am expecting more. I think I'll be right.

Did anyone else pick up that Perin seems to be yearning for Egwene? Maybe he only married Laila to try and get over Egwene, who's his best friend's girl? Once Laila realises she isn't number one with her hubby, she turns to the Dark?

Also, is Mat gay? I'm going to try and watch the show again tonight, but I'm sure at one stage he said something to Rand or Egwene which indicates he yearns for Perin.

Days of our lives meets True Blood? LoL

14 hours ago, Starganderfish said:

Not impressed with them creating a wife for Perrin and then instantly fridging her. There’s a reason that’s a trope, and a bad one at that. 
It’s laziness from the writers who can’t manage to portray Perrin’s conflict between axe and hammer without a literal axe trauma. Making her a Darkfriend won’t really improve things, especially as she’s a blink and you miss it character and the only references to her seem to be somewhat forced things from Matt and Egwene.

Honestly, killing your wife like that would completely destroy someone and Perrin would be a useless mess for years afterwards. 
It’s up there with Matt’s abusive family for lazy and poorly thought out writing. 

This felt like a moment to condense Perrins larger struggle with pacifism and the role he is destined to play at the Last Battle.  Hate to be a purist but this story was written very meticulously and small changes like this begin to affect further character development in the larger story (as well as yet to come characters)

• 1 month later...

I need that Scott meme Thank You!

Miscarriage, evidence, Laila is working and there is a restlessness to her activity as if she can’t stop, working so late so she doesn’t have to think. Avoiding happy people at the bar during a special occasion, their hands on her stomach, their wistful look when launching their lantern, they jointly lost someone, ie a baby, the stomach touching, a miscarriage.

Laila loves Perrin, they hold little fingers as a form of expression of affection. But this doesn’t mean she can’t be a Darkfriend:

spoilers

Laila could be a darkfriend who loved Perrin and she could have been intending to murder Perrin, but as she stood over him, her bear of a man was protecting her by puréing a trolloc, she hesitated. Or she could have been intending to kill, she loved him but feared the Dark One more, she feared what other Dark Friends existed in that town, and he won, but what seems indisputable, is her love for Perrin, for even as she lay dying, almost too at peace with dying, she held on to his little finger. 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:24 PM, Skipp said:

My initial thoughts led me to a pregnancy related thing.  But now after hearing about the Laila darkfriend thing I believe all the tension is from her getting dreams about needing to capture/kill her husband when the time comes.  I believe we will see more of this story played out one way or another as the show progresses.

This right here would redeem this story and explain why the wolf is a benefit. That his instincts were correct. 

Edited by JaimAybara
*deleted meme.

20 hours ago, JaimAybara said:

This right here would redeem this story and explain why the wolf is a benefit. That his instincts were correct. 

I just have the image now of a little wolf on Perrins shoulder whispering in his ear. "Kill your wife, she's a darkfriend. Plus if you do you can hook up with her hotter best friend"

49 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

Well, after 8 episodes, it is clear that there is no plan to expand on Layla/Perrin relationship.

Perrin just killed his wife and then stayed with mouth open for 8 episodes. Great character arc.

It doesn't need to be expanded on, episode 8 he looks at an Axe, decides not to pick it up and as a result Loial is stabbed. The Layla axe swing was to fast track his book story arc and it worked well