DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Behind the Scenes clip

SinisterDeath

16 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Not a lot of budget allocated to the Whitecloak Armor I see ?

Screenshot_20211018-135245_Chrome.jpg

Be careful about drawing sweeping conclusions from snippets. They aren’t wearing armor in this scene. That doesn’t mean that they never wear it. 

42 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Not a lot of budget allocated to the Whitecloak Armor I see ?

Screenshot_20211018-135245_Chrome.jpg

24 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Be careful about drawing sweeping conclusions from snippets. They aren’t wearing armor in this scene. That doesn’t mean that they never wear it. 

they ARE wearing armor. If you see underneath the tabard, it is bulging with the shape of armor. the second guy from the left, look at his shoulders, if that's not a breastplate underneath the tabard I don't know what it is. And the guy in the front, his left arm with all the laminar segments. Either they are wearing armor under the clothes, or they have a very good imitation.

Now, armor is hot, and wearing cloth over the armor will be impractical, will make you tire faster during combat. that white must also be a nightmare to keep clean on the field. But the children of the ligth are known for being impractical, so I see nothing wrong there.

the only thing missing is the golden sunburst on the chest, aside from that i can't think of any description they contradict

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

they ARE wearing armor. If you see underneath the tabard, it is bulging with the shape of armor. the second guy from the left, look at his shoulders, if that's not a breastplate underneath the tabard I don't know what it is. And the guy in the front, his left arm with all the laminar segments. Either they are wearing armor under the clothes, or they have a very good imitation.

Now, armor is hot, and wearing cloth over the armor will be impractical, will make you tire faster during combat. that white must also be a nightmare to keep clean on the field. But the children of the ligth are known for being impractical, so I see nothing wrong there.

the only thing missing is the golden sunburst on the chest, aside from that i can't think of any description they contradict

A member of Lezbi Nerdy's discord pointed out that there is an uncoloured sunburst on their shoulder piece. 

jgqfrqq48ig512.jpg

13 hours ago, JaimAybara said:

Thom looks like an absolute boss here.

2169CD68-6943-41D2-AB76-0ECA973DB8A1.thumb.jpeg.1e446b317ebd67d723283489b1ecd8d7.jpeg

Thom is my favorite part of the sneak peak!

There was a comment on Reddit that was hilariously accurate though lol:

"I love it, but… also feels like an alternate timeline where Aragorn ditched the Fellowship to play Wonderwall in every inn in Middle Earth."

18 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Thom is my favorite part of the sneak peak!

There was a comment on Reddit that was hilariously accurate though lol:

"I love it, but… also feels like an alternate timeline where Aragorn ditched the Fellowship to play Wonderwall in every inn in Middle Earth."

Haha a little bit, I still think he makes makes Dandelion look like the Bargain Bin Bard. I hope they get shots of him doing all sorts of crazy guitar playing and that the dude has pipes. 

2 minutes ago, Borderlander said:

This is the Thom I know!

Thomdril Merrilin - A Wheel of Time Wiki

I'll give the new guy a fair shake, but this is one big change I am leery of. I think you can draw a straight line from Batman Begins to 'Make Thom Merrilin dark and gritty.' 

I agree, it's definitely a big change to the feel of the character. This is one of those "works better for TV" re-imagining things that I don't mind that much though. The original vision of his character was always going to be hard to pull off without coming across as too whimsical and cheesy. Thom is an important character, but I don't think this change would affect the overall story too much. I'd rather they do a good job with this version than a bad job with the other. 

That being said, I'd appreciate if they show off his more elegant side by having him completely change his outfit and maybe even back to a Lyre for a couple scenes in court.

Yeah, I dunno... I understand the company line about an old silverfox in a particolored cloak singing and doing somersaults being to cheesy for modern TV, I just don't buy it.

A patchwork cloak can still be faded and travelworn to keep it realistic; it doesn't have to be as bright as a box of crayons. To me, the very idea of there only being a handful of true gleemen travelling the country in their unmistakable attire was one of the most iconic elements of the early novels... Ditching it under the pretense that it wouldn't work on TV strikes me as a pretty lame excuse. (Not picking on you, @TheMountain—I think we heard a line from Rafe nearly a year ago saying just that.)

Nor does TV Thom need to do somersaults onto the tops of barrels or walk on his hands—but I don't recall him doing so in the books, either. Rand just mentions that Thom can, or at least that is Rand's impression of what a typical, crowd-pleasing gleeman is able to do. Dramatic, performative mannerisms could easily be toned down for the screen without violating a single written word from the books.

I'm not opposed to TV Thom playing guitar, since the actor will actually be able to play it—I fully expect Thom from the books could have played guitar as well (and a half-dozen other instruments.) So this is not a deviation so much as it as an addition to the character (a slippery semantic slope, I know.)

As long as they give him at least one scene with a harp, possibly in a court setting, like others have suggested, I'll consider that an appropriate adaption. 

I'm not terribly opposed to aging him down, either, if that was done to get the best actor for the job, and by all accounts Alexandre Wilhaume is a phenomenal actor... but they are chopping nearly 20 years off Thom's age. (Thom being roughly 70 when the book series starts, and Wilhuame not yet 50.) Still, it seems like they have aged him down an entire generation. Thom in the books might by spry for his age, but he is unmistakably portrayed more as a 'younger' (or at least younger at heart) old man as opposed to an over-the-hill middle-aged man, if that makes sense. Which made for such great variety in the core group of main characters! You had the late-teenage E5 (with Nyneave being a bit older than the other 4); then ageless Moiraine and stone-faced Lan in the middle; and Thom tagging along, representing the senior citizens. Now, with the E5 aged-up (and Nyneave not appearing much older, if at all, than the other 4) and Lan looking relatively young and Thom barely 50, the age dynamic of the entire group is condensed that much closer to one another. Is that a big deal in the long run? Maybe not, I don't know.

I guess I just don't believe the ivory tower excuse that some difficult choices 'absolutely have to be made, because TV.' I think it's more likely the opposite: 'We decided to make certain unnecessary changes simply because we could, because TV.'