DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

35 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I'm going to go back and re-read everyones comments.  I just finished episode 8....

Season 1....3 of 10 Stars

Rafe does not understand the source material.

Rafe does not appreciate the source material.

Rafe is not skilled enough to do the source material justice.

#ReplaceRafe

That might be a bit unfair.  He may appreciate the source material, like some people appreciate other forms of art, but not really understand it or be skilled enough to explain it to others.   

There, I said something kind of nice about Rafe.   Does that mean I am no longer a darkfriend?

Edited by Yojimbo

Guest Wolfbrother31

Brandon Sanderson is a producer & he doesn't he defend it like ... Some people (eye roll). 

His ideas are pretty good, actually. If he replaced Rafe we might actually get something decent...

3 minutes ago, Mailman said:

5 channelers all not tower trained or too weak to complete the training wipe out 10k to 20k trollocs how is anyone defending this episode.

Yeah. And before someone points out that an untrained Rand did it alone... he actually didn't wipe them all out, and he was using the Eye of the World. Those women didn't seem to be using any sa'angreal on that level.

I would have been fine even with the women and Rand wiping them out together. But this was just totally illogical.

Edited by Kelin

Guest Wolfbrother31
42 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

I really wish the 'disappointed darkfriends' who are trashing this episode and the series in general would go watch tonight's episode of The Dusty Wheel so that they could hear Brandon Sanderson's incredibly insightful commentary, but I suspect they'd just end up going after him for not validating their complaints and outrage.

Have watched it. 

We're not "Darkfriends" because we don't like what they've done.

Basically - I have the same feeling now as when LoTR cut Glorfindel to give Arwen more significance - but ×1000 worse. 

Why? Why? Why?! 

Episode 8 is a 7.5 for me.  I liked the AoL and Ishamael especially.  Ishamael was the high point of the episode for me.  The bore was interesting, but so much of this stuff needs more explanation.  

Tarwins gap and the lack of a retreat was a big problem for me.  Although Agelmar's army likely thinned out enough Trollocs to gove Amalisa a chance.  Amalisa's scene was good but a little over the top.  Constantly bringing characters near death and then healing them will lose effect if they keep doing it.  Once again, the trollocs were too blurry and out of focus.

Rand, Moiraine. and Lan were all very solid here.  

Perrin and Loial....   their role just wasn't that great.  Was that Loial getting drunk at Min's bar?  And how does an Ogier lose a battle against only 3?  Loial held off all kinds of shadowspawn in the Stone of Tear.  Loail big let down this season.  Couldn't Perrin at least have tried to defend the horn a little harder?  

This show desperately needs more screen time to make the characters come to life more.  The CGI needs to be improved, and I really hope they can make it more understandable for non book readers.  

Can only hope they can make it through season 2 filming without Covid shutdowns and without major staff departures.  

Lots of promise still, and I'm not as letdown as many other book readers.  the end of EoTW was never my favorite part of the series.  

3 minutes ago, Mailman said:

5 channelers all not tower trained or too weak to complete the training wipe out 10k to 20k trollocs how is anyone defending this episode.

Some portion of the trollocs had already been killed by Lord Agelmar and the other soldiers at the fort. I think the scene could have been more effective by showing a wave of trollocs taken out by lightening, and then trollocs still further off looking at the lighting attack and fleeing. That was what I assumed was going on anyway, because the lightning was cool but didn't seem targeted enough to pick off literally every single trolloc.

4 minutes ago, Dead Warder said:

A small accord was issued today, even if it is temporary. Sprinkle a little magic........

image.png.e0192c1cfbc26580bb841f7729e8c5a2.png

Ya know as long as one doesn't engage in hyperbolic rhetoric then there's room to actually talk about some of the things we like or dislike which is ya know... interesting. So I'm glad to be about this accord ?

Edited by Blackbyrd

Guest Wolfbrother31

Agelmar is suppose to be one of the 7 great captains...

What was Amalise's part in the books again?? 

Honestly, the dudes defending that the show hasnt put the men down to elevate the women??? 

Objectively wrong.

5 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

the end of EoTW was never my favorite part of the series.  

It was not mine either, and I would have been OK with some changes. But the way it was shown in the finale was actually worse than it was in the book. The idea may have been fine, but the way it was realized was not. I just felt like "meh? That's it? What was it all about?" 

Edited by Kelin

Alright, this will take me a bit to digest, requires a rewatch, and won't happen soon. 

But I'm going to have to spend a long time thinking about whether I can accept the changes they've made, envision a conclusion, and still enjoy the series. Or whether me accepting the changes is simply desperation to see disconnected moments from the Wheel of Time on Television. 

It boils down to the changes made to LTT's rationale, and the fact that on first viewing it gives perfectly logical justification for keeping men down.  With that, this is no longer the meta feminist critique about the lack of equality in society being evil I thought it was, or that Jordan wrote. Its only message is that Men are arrogant ("that makes it evil, that makes it mine" - Viggo Mortensen in Prophecy - and women being in total control is completely justified because men cannot be trusted. Also, that women don't need men to work with, because they either fight needlessly like that Great General idiot Agelmar (if the 5 women go to the wall, the enemy army is obliterated with 3 casualties, and the men easily kill Fain and the Two Fades), or they don’t fight at all; cowards like Loial, Perrin and Mat. Oh, and the third category of men? Chained Dogs you use to kill rabid wolves. I wonder what they do with that narrative. Tam’s 30 seconds of kindness and Rand’s recognition of Egwene’s choice balanced against all of that.

That's not just the story, that's the meta story, as it stands. We can chew on that for the next 11 months.

Can they offset it? Sure - by spending next 6 of the next 7 years showing that women can be just as arrogant, pig headed, stupid and wrong as men are, and therefore balance should be achieved. But that just leaves no one competent because now men and women both are evil.

Could I be wrong? sure. Did I like individual moments - some of them. Did I get book moments and plot points I was really happy to see? Yep. None of that matters if this show is going to spend the next 5 years telling me that I'm an arrogant bastard and not to trusted just for being male. Not the characters, me. Because it’s a meta narrative issue

Hell of as down note to leave on before Christmas, but there you go.

6 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Have watched it. 

We're not "Darkfriends" because we don't like what they've done.

Basically - I have the same feeling now as when LoTR cut Glorfindel to give Arwen more significance - but ×1000 worse. 

Why? Why? Why?! 

Because Glorfindel is utterly unimportant to LotR and and Arwen needs development.  I say this as a major Glorfindel fan.  He creates a plothole because the reason given that he can't go is "He's too powerful and a beacon"  Well guess what Gandalf is...

4 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Agelmar is suppose to be one of the 7 great captains...

What was Amalise's part in the books again?? 

Honestly, the dudes defending that the show hasnt put the men down to elevate the women??? 

Objectively wrong.

7?  Agelmar, Ituralde, Byrne, Bashere, Niall....  And....   (I know one more but spoilers for non book readers).  

And his part was to talk a lot in book one, disappear entirely until book 14 where he almost got everyone killed and was taken out by a woman.

Agelmar was not put down, he lost in the books too and was saved my magical teleporting superman Rand wielding power he never touches again because RJ was still figuring stuff out in book one.

Guest Wolfbrother31

What Sanderson suggested as changes could have been really cool...

#1: they're military tactics were funky - what's with the crossbows? They need a good calvary charge. 

#2: If you're going to have Egwene, Nyn, and Perrin stay behind - give them an active role. Have them fight a Forsaken and lose. Have them on the wall & struggle with channeling.

Sanderson also says Moiraine was stilled not shielded. Interesting... Perhaps a set up for Nyn healing stilling? 

8 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

What Sanderson suggested as changes could have been really cool...

#1: they're military tactics were funky - what's with the crossbows? They need a good calvary charge. 

#2: If you're going to have Egwene, Nyn, and Perrin stay behind - give them an active role. Have them fight a Forsaken and lose. Have them on the wall & struggle with channeling.

Sanderson also says Moiraine was stilled not shielded. Interesting... Perhaps a set up for Nyn healing stilling? 

They gallantly charged on their horses to the fortress...where they dismounted, climbed some stairs, and fired a bunch of crossbows. I've never seen a battle depicted quite like this. Please fire the writer who came up with this strategy.

Do better, people.

Edited by Chivalry

Guest Wolfbrother31
10 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

7?  Agelmar, Ituralde, Byrne, Bashere, Niall....  And....   (I know one more but spoilers for non book readers).  

And Mat.

But I guess he's a darkfriend? So that's no good...

Peace out ya'll.

And Merry Christmas.

And no hard feelings kakita. Glad you like it. 

I hope it's cancelled and Disney buys it & fixes it! 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

1 minute ago, Chivalry said:

They gallantly charged on their horses to the fortress...where they dismounted, climbed some stairs, and fired a bunch of crossbows. I've never seen a battle depicted quite like this. Please fire the writer who came up with this strategy.

This was confusing to me.  Agelmar yells out something like, "For Shienar!!!" and they charge off on their horses leaving the foot soldiers behind only to climb up into the wall and wait with crossbows?

The design of the wall was pretty bad, too.  Why was Agelmar on the bottom floor?  Who was reloading the crossbows for them?