DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

Rafe is a hack. What a stupid finale. No way this show gets picked up for a third season.

Thankfully most disagree and Amazon stated they plan to do all 15 books.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-wheel-of-time-span-14-books-prequel?fbclid=IwAR0ydk4G9zIedNGuKlE9F8RkhmOaFmcRFN9sohMICi0VVjsETIt53V7TmUg

LTT The Dragon Reborn?! What?

AoL really 

Ishamael? Or are they really making him the DO

Sa"angreal, really? We're going there?

Joiya! I like that

Fain! 

Horn of Valere in Fal Dara

Moiraine stilled? 

Seanchan with a strong entrance

Combined the attack on Fal Dara with the Tarwins Gap battle, not sure how I feel about Algemar dying, doesn't play a huge part later, and he stuff can be someone esle.

What are they doing with Mat? I'm not liking this at all.

I feel like they have the overall thought of the Eye of the World sequence, but it's completely different.

I've accepted the TV show is in the same world as the books, but will be different, some things still rub me wrong, but overall I'm happy with the show.

2 minutes ago, Arthellion said:

It absolutely will get a third season. Second season is midway filming.

4 season is where I see the cancellation if they don’t drastically course correct in first few episodes of season 2.

they’ve had massive numbers for season 1. Season 2 numbers will determine if we get a season 4. 

If it makes money is all Amazon cares about.  They don't care about the spirit of the show or staying true to Robert Jordan.  If people watch it...they don't give a crap....

I liked Ishy's scenes.  I just think there should have been a struggle between him and Rand at the end.  Instead it was like a Spirit Bomb from Dragonball.  Use this s'angreal made by a bunch of male channelers to make yourself actually powerful.

I liked the scene and dialogue between Lan and Nyneave.

I am ok with the horn being there and getting dug up to keep it safe.  I do not understand why Loial did not do more heavy lifting in that scene.  Ogier are stronger than men.  He should have been able to pick up some of those stones.

Did Padan Fain stab Loial with the Shadar Logoth dagger?  If so, too many questions there.

The fades did not look good.  A lot of the CGI was not that good. 

I understand the problem people have with the female channelers facing the trolloc army.  At first blush, it felt like the all female scene in Avenger's Endgame.  However, you cannot say they should have just had the women at the gap and saved everyone.  There was no way for them to expect the power surge Eg and Nyn supplied.  I do think it was an overpowered moment, though.  And, they could have done this from up on the walls of the city rather than standing out in the open.

The blight was disappointing.  The seven towers of Malkier were disappointing.  I like that they were put in there and briefly touched on, but not revealed very well.

The Padan Fain password scene was not good.  It did not make any sense.  Why did they need a pass phrase?  How did he know it?  Where did the two ladies not recognize the Fades when they walked through the door?

As a book fan, I finished this feeling let down.  I have watched each episode at least twice and like them better the second time.  I will try with this one.  It has some good moments but it does not leave me yearning for season 2.  I will probably watch season 2 because I want more WoT not because they have done a bang up job with it. 

Perrin has been useless this whole season.  I think I like the actor and think he can do the part justice, but, when I reflect on his character for this season, I just see him lurching around with his mouth hanging open except when he is mumbling something.

@Wolfbrother31 The term 'disappointed darkfriends' was coined by 3 of the hosts - all hardcore fans of the novels - of the As the Wheel of Time Turns podcast as both a discussion segment and a way to describe gripes that either they or other people have about the show.

Also, with regards to the claim that Brandon Sanderson isn't 'defending' the show,  nothing that he said in his Dusty Wheel commentary was negative. He expressed his thoughts on things he personally would have done differently and his own personal critiques on the level of 'darkness' he feels has been applied to the show, but, at the end of the day, he made it clear that, while the finale was his personal least favorite episode, he didn't think it was a bad episode, and you trying to spin his commentary into something that paints a negative view of the series on his part is extremely disingenuous.

Y'all I have so many FEELINGS after this damn episode! 

The book nerd is me is SO PISSED at: 

1. almost killing my girl Nyneave. Like, how f*cking dare you

2. and related, they changed fundamental mechanics of a circle and that's not cool! You don't burn out in a circle. They were just changing it for the drama card. 

Okay *breaths* I'm with the show, since Nyneave is OK, but also: 

Wow, Moiraine....that's going to be a struggle. Not happy with this turn of events...but we'll see

And Mori, really, you hand a child the worlds most powerful male sa'angreal? (Sounded like the Choden Kal to me). 

Sad to not have seen a Nym, or the original pool of pure Saidin. I liked those in the books.

Rand, you dummy, as usual, bless you're heart

Egwene, finally, pulling your weight 

Perrin, *sigh* I'll try to be patient with you. Go get that f*ckin horn! 

Mat, what have they done with my sweet mischevious child?

Lan, *le sigh* now whatcha going to do?

HOLY MOLY THE SEANCHAN!!!!! 

Edited by Storeebooq

oh man, so much to talk about. I'll start with the stuff I didn't care fore.

Some of Lady Amalisa's line delivery seemed off to me but she might have just been drunk on power. 

Egwene healing a partially burnout out Nynaeve didn't really land with me.

The Trolloc CGI was not great, I understand the CGI took a hit because of covid lock downs and I expect them to do better next season.

I would have preferred a more nuanced discussion between LTT and Latra.

I miss some of the small details they could have added that were missed.  Moraine telling Rand that she can't teach him to channel like a bird can't teach a  fish to fly. etc...

Ultimately the show needs more episodes or more run time.

Pretty much loved everything else. Ishamael was amazing, loved his mind games on Rand.

Padan Fain got to chew some scenery, going to love seeing him next season

Got to see the futuristic side on the AoL!

Rand and Moiraine's conversations on the way through the blight.

I think the change to the Eye is cool.  Loved the design of the pit.

The Seanchan were visually interesting, looking forward to them next season.

Uno! He better live dammit.

I could keep going on but I need some sleep.  So looking forward to next season.

44 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

They gallantly charged on their horses to the fortress...where they dismounted, climbed some stairs, and fired a bunch of crossbows. I've never seen a battle depicted quite like this. Please fire the writer who came up with this strategy.

Do better, people.

Not sure what you are talking about?  They had a defensible location with murderholes and arrow slits.  And rained constant arrow fire on the approaching enemy.  They road their horses to hold the wall for as long as they could.  It seemed like the best option

The only reason they couldn't hold was because of an enemy that had no desire beyond breaching the wall.

Book fan in me: utter tripe. 

Non-reader: very meh. I don't think this is a well written show. 

Very very disappointed. Things they get wrong they get very wrong.

Things they get right, it's not as good as it could have been.

The Seanchan and especially Damane, were utterly fantastic.

Ishy actor was bloody well cast...

Doubt I'll be here for S2. 

On my rewatch, knowing that Rand would not have an obvious bad ass moment, I enjoyed this episode much more.

Pacing a big improvement. Loved the AoL scene - but agree with @Dead Warder that mention of LTT as the Dragon Reborn had me clenching my fist.

Ishy was great - and I’m pretty sure he stilled Moiraine. It almost looks like he extracted her power into himself. This is likely setting up Nyneave healing the unhealable.

Hunting Fain and the Horn should set up an exciting second season. 

While a am still down on a lot of this episode, overall I’ve enjoyed the series and am preparing myself for the longing for the next season. 

1 minute ago, Mailman said:

I have to ask: Are you in some way involved in the production.

I don't like the implication, but will answer the question honestly: No, I have no affiliation with the show in any capacity. I'm simply a fan of it as an avid Fantasy reader and SFF TV watcher.

On a re-watch, I realize I'm terrified with how quickly Ishy was able to shield and still Mori, compared with how drastically LONNNGGG it seems to take channeling shields so far in the show. Shows a subtle yet scary difference in power and skill. *shivers* Like she basically has ZERO defense and she's one of the strongest (current) Aes Sedai. I hope non-book readers picked up on this. 

I was tugging my braid quite a bit during this episode. I'm not going to give a long analysis this time because frankly, I just don't have it in me. For the people who are enjoying the show, I wish you the best and hope the show continues to satisfy you and only get better.

Thom said it better than I can.

"We can't go back, Mat. The Wheel has turned, for better or worse. And it will keep turning, as lights die and forests dim, storms call and skies break. Turn it will. The Wheel is not hope, and the Wheel does not care, the Wheel simply is. But so long as it turns, folk may hope, folk may care. For with light that fades, another will eventually grow, and each storm that rages must eventually die. As long as the Wheel turns. As long as it turns..."

As for me, this is where the show and I part ways. I'll continue to hope and care for the series as what it means to me, but I must follow my own path. Have a lovely holiday. ?

Edited by BeTheBud

Well, I give the first season a 9/10 in pure entertainment value. This episode was a bit anticlimactic and the budget clearly run out. More oddities than in the other episodes that even I noticed.

Positives

+The OP showed it's capabilities in the Gap

+Ishamael toying with Rand

+Most of the Visuals. The trolloc army was meh but hey, it's the first season of TV

+Fades and Fain

+Min looks so much like Min when she left the city

+Burning out from the use of OP and how difficult it is to let go of it.

+Explanation of ta'veren and sa'angreal

+Lan's speech to Nynaeve

Negatives/other complaints

-LTT and Latra Posae's conversation. Latra knew that the DO would taint the Source?

-Horn of Valere buried under the throne and then they just left it there for Fain to pick it up.

-Moiraine stilled or the shield "tied"?

-Rand already going AWOL. Interesting to see how far he will go.

-Egwene healing Nynaeve. Please, no fake deaths and miracles like that. Egwene is no healer.

-Seems like the five ta'veren has been confirmed but I still don't buy it 100%.

I'm still going to just WAFO and not bash the show. Season 2 will show if some of these changes are good or not. I have every confidence in Rafe.

Wow this episode left me really confused. Were we told the DO is actually Ishy? I’ve been scrambling to explain the storyline to my wife but I’m at a loss with the Ishy thing.  I remember it being confusing in the books too. Is the audience just meant to believe that’s the DO and my book knowledge is ruining it? 

Waited 8 episodes for my boy Perrin to do something/anything. Left disappointed. 

Lots of changes which I don’t particularly mind but it felt like the entire season as been a big crescendo and then very little climax. 

I think overall this was a low point in the season but there was a lot to love too.

The design of the wall at tarwin’s gap was really imaginative. Those stairs on the outside were awesome. I enjoyed the battle for the most part. The circle with those two random women was a little haphazardly put together but Nyn and Eg’s moment was powerful. 

In spite of my previous doubts about Rand, I really started to root for him this episode. I  appreciated his sense of selflessness and respect when he was talking about Egwene. I’m liking him much better in the show than in the books at this point. 

SEACHAN. Costume design is epic. Can’t wait to see more of them. 

I have tried to remain positive and understanding about the adaptation given the change of medium and constraints of production... but deary me that did not make me happy.

LTT is made to look like an idiot while LPD apparently knew exactly what would happen in retaliation. Oh and LTT isn't actually the leader of the Aes sedai. At least the past future looked great...

I did enjoy the dead body in the blight full of mushrooms, felt like a nod towards Balthamel and everything we were about to change...

Time in the blight seemed very weird. Set off. See the 7 towers. Then you can look back and basically see the Trollocs at the gap. But the Eye is supposed to be a way off?

Lan with some book quotes - felt a bit clunky but hey, it was there.

Dream sequence and Ishy reveal was good - Ishy as a whole I was happy with actually, really like the casting and I think manipulating Rand into a win/win with the turning / seal breaking was a good route to go. A bit more quietly menacing than his deranged ranting and failures of the early books. Didn't need the Moiraine fake out dream death given how many more fake out deaths we have (guarantee Loial is alive).

I liked the depiction of the entrance to the eye. Very Indian stepwell.

The whole dreamshard + Ishy slapping down Moiraine was pretty good and I'm fine with her being stilled (or shielded and tied off?). Jumping ahead a bit but I did enjoy Rand asking what Egwene would want and not just him, because that does tie in well for the final confrontation and the discussion of free will.

Had to laugh at the Fal Daran's moving from one fortress to the other. A cavalry charge into a new building. Poor Agelmar, absolutely butchered as a character and then killed off. You'd think if you have a battery of channelers you might put them out front or perhaps on top of your wall before sacrificing all your soldiers.

Speaking of a battery of channellers...

Logain! Your power is but a pinprick of candlelight compared to the raging sun that will be the dragon reborn 2 untrained wilders and white tower rejects!  ...I don't even know what to say about this whole sequence, it was ridiculous and then we give Egwene more pointless moment stealing. She can now hear the bad things on the wind and heal the unhealable. So I guess she's basically taking from both Perrin and Nynaeve. Pretty sure Rafe said she was his favourite character and I guess you can see that in the depiction.

The Padan Fain payoff was pretty good but I would have liked him to be a little more unhinged. I have no real problem with the horn being in Fal Dara - You just have to write off the hunt which always felt to me like one of those things RJ sort of thought was cool early on but wasn't really.

Seanchan design was pretty cool - suitably alien I think. I presume the rationale behind the tidal wave was that they didn't know what was waiting for them on the shore but it felt pretty lame given it was just a girl.

I am now convinced S2 will be Rand and Mat doing TDR storylines and then touching back on some TGH points while Perrin does the hunt with Loial  and there will be some kind of Tear/Falme merge. The wondergirls will have some hybrid Black Ajah plot that leads them to the same destination.

I will watch season 2, but this episode really lost me in a lot of places and I really question how fan consultants and part-authors can have been involved in a meaningful part of the process.

5 minutes ago, Therese Sedai said:

Is the audience just meant to believe that’s the DO and my book knowledge is ruining it? 

It's left vague to us in the books until after Tear really so I imagine this is one thing they are choosing to be reasonably faithful to. I suspect they'll hope that Ishy looks godly and then when it's revealed he's just one of 13 8 people will be like oh wow they're screwed

Edited by DermidAjala