DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

• Community Administrator

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

- Lews Therin was a disappointment. Should’ve been desperate, not arrogant, another reduction in the quality of men in the story. 

- Moiraine saying don’t touch anything in the Blight whilst literally having twigs in her hair and then sitting on the trees. 
- Nynaeve somehow knowing Moiraine has a ‘tell’ when tracking that Lan wouldn’t know about. What even is a tracking ‘tell’ come on!!

- Egwene’s acting has really tailed off, especially during the crying scene with Perrin. 
- Perrin cannot act at all. It’s no wonder they just make him mope in a corner normally. 
- Lord Agelmar dying this early. 
- the Horn of Valere just sitting under a chair in the most at risk city near the Blight. 
- the women having the massive one power / super girls scene again.

- Somehow burning out despite not being possible when linked. 

- a random, slightly trained, weakling in the power being able to cast lightning and wipe out between 5,000 (when fighting the men) and 40,000 (when fighting the 5 women) trollocs. 
- Rand already being told that he can reshape reality, not just channel. 
- Moiraine being gentled.

- The Horn of Valere just being in a plastic looking box.  
- Mat again being implied as inherently evil. 
- EGWENE BRINGING NYNAEVE BACK FROM THE DEAD. 
- still the way channeling is shown, with all the arm waving looks very much like The Magicians series. So off putting. 

It’s just so sad watching this, so very very sad. It really shouldn’t have been like this. 

It’s so frustrating, there’s almost something there but then they make such ridiculous decisions. 
tracking a tell? It’s not poker, moraine isn’t licking the cream off an Oreo when she has a good hand. 

they needed more focus on the dreams and rand in the series. 
this episode has no real suspense or drama as we don’t know rand, don’t know what he is meant to be doing, we don’t know Ishy/dark one. We have no emotional investment in these characters and the episode is meant to hinge on their interactions and by extension the whole series. 
the biggest up the girls but then had nothing for them to do really in the finale but cure death that is. 

I’ll watch it again after a few weeks and see ?

Just now, JenniferL said:

Man, I do not know how I feel about this. This is probably one of those cases where not having read the books is an advantage because that was a ton of changes and some of them really took me out of the story. 

How about you? 

Well for the biggest things:

I don't think Moiraine is stilled just shielded from the power with the shield tied off. There was clearly a shield going inside her and Ishamael's hand movement made me think he was tying off a knot.

They're 100% baiting with the Loial death right? I think Hammad is filming for season 2 anyway, and they didn't show him actually die just get stabbed. Think Uno lives as well.

Egwene/Nyneave I don't know what in the world that is. I assume Nyneave was near death but not dead because there's no way they're allowing death to actually be healed.

There's a lot of changes from the book but that was rather expected all things considered. Ishamael was fantastic in my opinion. LTT not so much. I don't get the switch in roles between him and Latra Posae Decume. It doesn't matter much I just feels like it doesn't give LTT the stature he deserved.

I really enjoyed the first half of the season, but it’s gotten harder to enjoy as the season goes on and they stray further from the story. 

The finale just left me disappointed. 

I’m all for changes to adapt it to screen and reach a larger audience, but this just feels like changes for the sake of changes and many of them don’t even make sense. 

I feel like I’ve been the one defending the show to my friends all season, but this finale…

Absolute shambles.

The eye of the world is apprently a seal now. No someshta, the blight looks like an overgrown forest

>don't touch anything whilst touching things and sitting on tree trunks

Didn't mind the ishy bits but he should have been in earlier episodes, proper, with dialogue in dreams

It all seems forced.

They stole Rands thunder and made it about Nynaeve and egwene AGAIN! There is no need for this.

Loial stabbed, ingtar and uno dead , now. The horn under a chair.

Agelmar a noob who dies like an idiot his wfe...don't get me started

The seanchan tsunaming a random beach.

Moiraine shielded....but why? and is it a shield?

What an anti climactic episode the end to an anti climactic series.

dissapointed/10

2 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

I don't think Moiraine is stilled just shielded from the power with the shield tied off. There was clearly a shield going inside her and Ishamael's hand movement made me think he was tying off a knot.

They're 100% baiting with the Loial death right? I think Hammad is filming for season 2 anyway, and they didn't show him actually die just get stabbed. Think Uno lives as well.

Egwene/Nyneave I don't know what in the world that is. I assume Nyneave was near death but not dead because there's no way they're allowing death to actually be healed.

There's a lot of changes from the book but that was rather expected all things considered. Ishamael was fantastic in my opinion. LTT not so much. I don't get the switch in roles between him and Latra Posae Decume. It doesn't matter much I just feels like it doesn't give LTT the stature he deserved.

It's almost as if the war of shadow never happened that LTT went to the bore randomly to try his luck out of hubris. Because the world outside of the window didn't seem like the last days of a deadly and destructive war.

"doesnt' give ......the stature he deserved" sums up the whole series

4 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Yeah, loved the cold open and all the Old Tongue dialogue. Ishy was fantastic and I loved that his weapon was temptation not a One Power smack down. And Rand rejected his “perfect” world because he knew that’s not what Egwene wanted. 

Didn’t like Amalisa going super saiyan like that. I would not give a half trained channeler like her control of a circle. That’s what happens when you don’t know what you are doing! 

4 minutes ago, Finfolfin said:

It's almost as if the war of shadow never happened that LTT went to the bore randomly to try his luck out of hubris. Because the world outside of the window didn't seem like the last days of a deadly and destructive war.

"doesnt' give ......the stature he deserved" sums up the whole series

Yeah, I noticed that change too. So now it’s just an act of normal hubris instead of a desperate last gamble. 

5 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

Yeah, loved the cold open and all the Old Tongue dialogue. Ishy was fantastic and I loved that his weapon was temptation not a One Power smack down. And Rand rejected his “perfect” world because he knew that’s not what Egwene wanted. 

Didn’t like Amalisa going super saiyan like that. I would not give a half trained channeler like her control of a circle. That’s what happens when you don’t know what you are doing! 

Did really like Rand’s reasoning there, on it not being what Egwene wants. 
I’m not sold on Ishy at all. Was it him? Can it just be Aignor or Balthamel and save Ishy for next season 

Edited by Owayn The Traveller

I predicted the finale would be a power rangers moment and so it was.

1000’s of trollocs and multiple fades obliterated by 5 Novices.  What is the big deal then really?  A few fully trained Aes Sedai would have no problem just massacring any Trolloc army. Funny how Moraine struggled against a few…

What was the whole ‘tell’ thing about??? Lan is bonded but Nynaeve can track Moraine better???? 

I just could not have imagined anything as bad as season 1. 

Why did Moraine have twigs in her hair if she wasn’t supposed to touch anything? 

Rand? Pretty useless again. Has no power unless he uses the sa’angreal ???

Of course he would not have been allowed to destroy the Trolloc army. Of course.

This is simply indefensible.

Edited by Maximillion

1 minute ago, JenniferL said:

Yeah, I noticed that change too. So now it’s just an act of normal hubris instead of a desperate last gamble. 

Not only that but LPD straight up says exactly what's gonna happen if LTT does what he did. The Strike at Shayol Ghul was a messy desperate and incredibly risky gamble in the books by a man with his back to the wall and seemingly no other choice. Here it just seems like an act of complete arrogance by LTT. In the books the split made sense. What's the reason for it here?

1 minute ago, MasterAblar said:

Not only that but LPD straight up says exactly what's gonna happen if LTT does what he did. The Strike at Shayol Ghul was a messy desperate and incredibly risky gamble in the books by a man with his back to the wall and seemingly no other choice. Here it just seems like an act of complete arrogance by LTT. In the books the split made sense. What's the reason for it here?

Men bad...that's the reason.

6 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

I think that's the point though to be honest. Don't believe you can burn yourself out like that in the books when in a circle but the catastrophic result made sense seeing as it's a bunch of untrained channellers basically.

How did Nynaeve suck the circle power from Egwene into herself? Even if that was possible, how would she know how to do it? Egwene was still actually linked to the circle as well, so what would even be the helpful part of that?

It seems the show has forgotten that she is powerful but untrained. Apart from wanting to wear matching coloured frocks and have bitchy teenage conversations, there doesn’t seem much point in this world to become an Aes Sedai. 

Edited by Meskell

At one point Moiraine's says that the Dark One needs the Dragon at the Eye to free him from his prison.

So why was there a rush to get the untrained and unprepared Rand to the Eye before the Dark One broke free then if he needs Rand at the Eye to break free in the first place.

It really does feel like the writers of the various episode didn't check enough with each other and wrote what they thought would fit the scene even if it is contradicted by other parts of the show.

Edited by AusLeviathan

Coming off of Ep7, which I personally felt was the strongest yet, and was really re-establishing ties with the existing fan community ...

Ep8 was, by far, the very worst yet in terms of telling the established story. I could list ten major things - BIG things - but I don't need to; you all know what they are.

My anger and disappointment are in the showrunners, for getting off to what was, overall a promising, mostly-faithful start ... and *then* turning this far left from the storyline. I expect that they just lost a full third of their built-in audience; hundreds of thousands of viewers, gone, for the start of Season 2. I'm not among them; I will view it, but with vastly diminished expectations. For me, the entire series dropped from an 8, to a 4, tonight.

... what could have been. ?

2 minutes ago, JimGalaxy said:

Coming off of Ep7, which I personally felt was the strongest yet, and was really re-establishing ties with the existing fan community ...

Ep8 was, by far, the very worst yet in terms of telling the established story. I could list ten major things - BIG things - but I don't need to; you all know what they are.

My anger and disappointment are in the showrunners, for getting off to what was, overall a promising, mostly-faithful start ... and *then* turning this far left from the storyline. I expect that they just lost a full third of their built-in audience; hundreds of thousands of viewers, gone, for the start of Season 2. I'm not among them; I will view it, but with vastly diminished expectations. For me, the entire series dropped from an 8, to a 4, tonight.

... what could have been. ?

Pretty much same boat, but I won't be watching. There were elements of this show I really liked. But...giving Tarwin's Gap to a side character shows to me that Rafe doesn't understand this show the way I understood and loved it.

I won't be watching and all I can do is hope we get like an anime or cartoon series one day of Wheel of Time.