DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sound and visuals

Guire

I went down youtube rabbit hole last night and it got me thinking about how I hope certain passages from book will look and feel.  The trailer music has a very Westworld mixed up with Avenger's music feel to it.  I like this a lot but hope various scenes and cultures have a more traditional culture feel.

One of the videos I watched was Hu Wolf Totem.  I hope Henney is using this as a hype video every time he has to get in warrior mode.  Also I have always envisioned Aiel warrior singing as a military call and response.  I think doing wash the spears as a varant of mongolian throat singing like HU does for their songs would be amazing.  The entire Mongolian biker gang from Wolf Totem video needs to be hired as Uno's warrior band.  Another video I watched had HU song over scenes from movie Mongol.  Just type in Hu Wolf Totem Mongol and it pops.  The entire filming of Temujin's calvalry charging has a visual quality I hope Amazon can capture for Tarwin's Gap.  It feels big and violent without being overly complicated.  

I can't decide if I want tinker dancing to be more Flamenco or Russian Circassian dancing.  Possibly something I haven't seen yet?  I hope they pull from lots of old cultural traditions to flesh out little cultural details instead of creating them whole cloth.  When I rewatched parts of GoT with my wife recently some of the Dothraki stuff looked goofier than I remembered on first watch.  I want WoT to feel like a real world with a real history.

Anyone else have ideas for how they want cultural groups to look or sound now that we kind of have small idea what Randland is about?

Well I have a lot of internal ideas about the sounds of the Wheel of Time, and I'm sure everyone has different ideas. I'm really excited to see them do their version on the big stage and I think the trailer music was pretty good so I'm anticipating something good on that front.

But for me, the thing I'd love to see the most (and I fully acknowledge that this wouldn't be until season 2 or 3 probably) is Dance With Jack of the Shadows on screen to the tune of Garryowen. Idk if that's gonna be in the cards or not, but that's something I'd love to hear.

5 minutes ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

Well I have a lot of internal ideas about the sounds of the Wheel of Time, and I'm sure everyone has different ideas. I'm really excited to see them do their version on the big stage and I think the trailer music was pretty good so I'm anticipating something good on that front.

But for me, the thing I'd love to see the most (and I fully acknowledge that this wouldn't be until season 2 or 3 probably) is Dance With Jack of the Shadows on screen to the tune of Garryowen. Idk if that's gonna be in the cards or not, but that's something I'd love to hear.

I can completely hear that now that you mentioned it.  I do like music from teaser trailer.  It reminds of Westworld though and I expect Evan Rachel Woods to come out as Lanfear and Thandy Newton as Graendal.

They could do worse than Westworld with the old time-y covers of modern songs :3

But I know what you mean.

For WoT I think there's a unique challenge for a composer to make the sound fit the culture. It's not pure old-school fantasy, so an epic score (think LotR) might not land properly. I think the challenge is to lace the soundtrack with a slightly more modern feel without going too hard into pop, and dipping into a variety of cultures sounds without feeling derivative.

5 minutes ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

They could do worse than Westworld with the old time-y covers of modern songs :3

But I know what you mean.

For WoT I think there's a unique challenge for a composer to make the sound fit the culture. It's not pure old-school fantasy, so an epic score (think LotR) might not land properly. I think the challenge is to lace the soundtrack with a slightly more modern feel without going too hard into pop, and dipping into a variety of cultures sounds without feeling derivative.

I am gonna have to get all my head cannon wiped and try to watch whatever comes on screen with no pre conceived ideas.  the trailer has really grown on me.  I think they have a tough path and I will give them benefit of the doubt through at least first season.

IT. IS. A. TV. SHOW. 

It is not going to look like we all thought in our heads. Not only is that impossible (we all have differing visions of what WoT looks like) but it’s completely impracticable. TV shows have budgets. They have practical constraints (COVID!????). I think this is the dumbest thing to get hung up on.

Yes, I know Jordan was a master of description (too much of a master, some might say). But this show would never have seen the light of day if people were nitpicking over outfits and what CGI cities looked like.

Let’s just hope the larger story stays true to the novels.

1 hour ago, HeWhoRunsWithTheSpears said:

IT. IS. A. TV. SHOW. 

It is not going to look like we all thought in our heads. Not only is that impossible (we all have differing visions of what WoT looks like) but it’s completely impracticable. TV shows have budgets. They have practical constraints (COVID!????). I think this is the dumbest thing to get hung up on.

Yes, I know Jordan was a master of description (too much of a master, some might say). But this show would never have seen the light of day if people were nitpicking over outfits and what CGI cities looked like.

Let’s just hope the larger story stays true to the novels.

I don't think this particular thread is really griping about minutia.  I think given the fact it is a tv show, what would we like to see or hear given constraints of tv production and what we have already seen.  I am sitting at work near 3/4 point of a hundred hour work week.  I am in the DM totally for distraction.  So far tonight have seen a baby named after Satan, did chest compressions on guy that died while listening to baby satan cry across the hall, then had co worker test pos for covid. I need some sweet sweet meaningless distraction.

Edited by Guire

5 minutes ago, Elgee said:

@Guire oh man sounds like a tough time!

Oddly after last year and a half thing that keeps sticking is why would you give this cute little baby first and middle names that referenced Satan.  I think a miasma floated through ER tonight.  With codes the only thing I think about is did this guy have a full meaningful life.  Person earlier appeared to have had. I can let that go.  Some in recent past didnt look so.  Those you bury deep.  WoT series is really good timing though.  Wife and kiddos like fantasy TV.  None would ever stick with WoT series books though.  Using all my markers and forcing mandatory WoT watch parties.  I can flood kiddos with trailer reactions.  WoT themed costume parties.  It is all good.

Lmao Westworld. 

I get why they did the covers there, technically speaking that world is a simulacrum that exists in our world so you would make modern songs sound westerny so people entering the world would have both knowledge of the music but also enjoy it. 

I have huge love for Postmodern Jukebox doing that - we play a bunch of their stuff (or did pre covid) at our Gatsby and Gangsters parties. 

That said it would not make sense here for us so you wont see that. Id bet against it. 

Tho if somehow they repurpose Paradise City as Tar Valon’s theme I probably might snort so hard milk shoots out my nose. Assuming I was drinking milk at the time. Otherwise I might need to seek out a doctor… or a priest. Not sure which. 

None of the music I've heard in the teaser or in the 5 second snippets that came before has grabbed me so far.  But I think, for me anyway, music resonates with me based on memories and/or associations.  When I hear songs from my youth, high school, college and beyond I get good, bad, sad, joyful, and etc. based on their associations for me - and I don't even always know why.

Long way of saying music heard in the teaser doesn't do anything for me now - don't hate it, don't love it.  But that may change after a few episodes, or 5 years after the series ends, or not at all.  And of course, that music might not appear in the show at all.

8 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

My brain is tainted with music from the Video Game. 

Its still what I hum when I think of WoT

I just want the music to be memorable! Hehe

humming it now actually

That is actually really good music for video game.  Don't know how I missed playing that WoT video game.  Can't remember back that far.

With Westworld music I meant intro to Westworld with the piano sound kind of rising and falling.  Teaser trailer for WoT sounds very similar to other music intro I have heard in last 5 years.  Sure that was intentional to signal this is a premier television show.  Pay attention.

To both of the last points - rarely if ever does a teaser ever use music from its property. 

The longer trailer may - or it may use a selection from a group like Two Steps From Hell (freaking love them)

Usually wont hear the real deal for sure until the series drops. Or they release an OST in tandem. 

Edited by CaddySedai
typo

• Community Administrator
23 minutes ago, Elgee said:

All I'm saying is Disturbed's Down with the Sickness needs to be Rand's theme tune. And Indestructible needs to be Logain and his black coated friends' ?

If we're going that route, this should be the white cloaks theme song.

Mainly the lyric "dig through the ditches, burn through the witches".

As an aside.

Is there anyone here that actually hated " A Knights Tale" soundtrack?

10 hours ago, Guire said:

I went down youtube rabbit hole last night and it got me thinking about how I hope certain passages from book will look and feel.  The trailer music has a very Westworld mixed up with Avenger's music feel to it.  I like this a lot but hope various scenes and cultures have a more traditional culture feel.

One of the videos I watched was Hu Wolf Totem.  I hope Henney is using this as a hype video every time he has to get in warrior mode.  Also I have always envisioned Aiel warrior singing as a military call and response.  I think doing wash the spears as a varant of mongolian throat singing like HU does for their songs would be amazing.  The entire Mongolian biker gang from Wolf Totem video needs to be hired as Uno's warrior band.  Another video I watched had HU song over scenes from movie Mongol.  Just type in Hu Wolf Totem Mongol and it pops.  The entire filming of Temujin's calvalry charging has a visual quality I hope Amazon can capture for Tarwin's Gap.  It feels big and violent without being overly complicated.  

I can't decide if I want tinker dancing to be more Flamenco or Russian Circassian dancing.  Possibly something I haven't seen yet?  I hope they pull from lots of old cultural traditions to flesh out little cultural details instead of creating them whole cloth.  When I rewatched parts of GoT with my wife recently some of the Dothraki stuff looked goofier than I remembered on first watch.  I want WoT to feel like a real world with a real history.

Anyone else have ideas for how they want cultural groups to look or sound now that we kind of have small idea what Randland is about?

Wow! That Hu Wolf Totem is straight FIRE!! I am ready to charge Tarwin’s Gap!

I can see ‘Wash The Spears’ in a similar style, with the growl singing and a driving cadence. Great find!

@SinisterDeathLMAO! A bit cheerful, for WCs ?

But I see your WC offer, and raise you a Perrin:

Off through the new day's mist I run
Off from the new day's mist I have come
I hunt therefore I am
Harvest the land
Taking of the fallen lamb
We shift pulsing with the earth
Company we keep
Roaming the land while you sleep

14 minutes ago, Elgee said:

@SinisterDeathLMAO! A bit cheerful, for WCs ?

But I see your WC offer, and raise you a Perrin:

I hunt therefore I am
Harvest the land
Taking of the fallen lamb
We shift pulsing with the earth
Company we keep
Roaming the land while you sleep

This would definitely be Perrin's theme song in AMoL. "Stop, Hammer Time" 

https://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

None of the music I've heard in the teaser or in the 5 second snippets that came before has grabbed me so far.  But I think, for me anyway, music resonates with me based on memories and/or associations.  When I hear songs from my youth, high school, college and beyond I get good, bad, sad, joyful, and etc. based on their associations for me - and I don't even always know why.

Long way of saying music heard in the teaser doesn't do anything for me now - don't hate it, don't love it.  But that may change after a few episodes, or 5 years after the series ends, or not at all.  And of course, that music might not appear in the show at all.

I am pretty confident that the trailer music was just a generic "epic sounding music" bop. The composer for the series is Lorne Balfe who has done a lot of good stuff. I'm very optimistic that the music will be good based on his track record.

I am equally confident that we will not be getting modern songs, which I'm happy about. I'm not a big fan of that, especially in genre pieces. It ruins my suspension of disbelief. It's probably the biggest reason that I found A Knight's Tale completely unwatchable.

4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

It's probably the biggest reason that I found A Knight's Tale completely unwatchable.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Is there anyone here that actually hated " A Knights Tale" soundtrack?

Guess I found one. ? 

That movie was absolutely brilliant!

On 9/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, Elder_Haman said:

I am pretty confident that the trailer music was just a generic "epic sounding music" bop. The composer for the series is Lorne Balfe who has done a lot of good stuff. I'm very optimistic that the music will be good based on his track record.

He has worked a lot with Hans Zimmer so I have very high hopes and expectations.