DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sound and visuals

Guire

Two things that I hope they don't do with the music...

Try and recreate the "viral" Toss a coin to your witcher moment.

Incorporate too much irish/celtic music as a stand in for "fantasy world" 

Along the lines of the HU there are some pretty folk-metal/rock bands from around the world that could add some interesting musical feels.  Bands like... the Maori metal of Alien Weaponry, the Fijian metal band Shepard's Reign, the Japanese folk/rock band Wagikki Band, Heilung from Germany/Denmark, or even the incorporation of soccer goal celebration songs like Eskimo Callboy does in their breakdowns.  I doubt that Rafe & team would go that direction but it could be pretty cool.

Now that I think of it.... using Mongolian style throat singing with a haka hype call and responses would be a really fun mash up of musics for the Aiel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, TheDreadReader said:

Two things that I hope they don't do with the music...

Try and recreate the "viral" Toss a coin to your witcher moment.

Incorporate too much irish/celtic music as a stand in for "fantasy world"… 

I thought Toss a Coin to Your Witcher was a bit campy, especially with the, “elf on a shelf”, line. I think they have a strong chance to do better honestly. Dance With Jak’O the Shadows would be the perfect one to sing like a stadium chant from the Band of the Red Hand later in the show. Based on Thom’s history though he is supposed to be an expert musician and storyteller. So, I just hope it isn’t too gimmicky when he performs. In the Witcher it was…almost there. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, TheDreadReader said:

5 minutes ago, Elgee said:

To me that sounded discordant and confusing. Unique, certainly, but I'm not sure if it will catch on.

If they have good attention to detail they could do some music in the old tongue and perhaps we might get different sounds from different nations too. That would be spectacular, because then if there is a sound we aren’t thrilled with they can try something else in a different nation later, even if it just background music in a tavern or court.

33 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

I thought Toss a Coin to Your Witcher was a bit campy, especially with the, “elf on a shelf”, line. I think they have a strong chance to do better honestly. Dance With Jak’O the Shadows would be the perfect one to sing like a stadium chant from the Band of the Red Hand later in the show. Based on Thom’s history though he is supposed to be an expert musician and storyteller. So, I just hope it isn’t too gimmicky when he performs. In the Witcher it was…almost there. 

Maybe do Jak'O the Shadows like this (from an advertising campaign that Puma did a while back).

From the same campaign...

Edited by TheDreadReader

1 minute ago, TheDreadReader said:

Maybe do Jak'O the Shadows like this (from an advertising campaign that Puma did a while back).

I like your speed. Having him slowly riding through camp and we watch this scene progressively unfold through Tuon’s eyes as she realizes what kind of man he is and what his men think of him. 

28 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Ok, I cried a bit when my GF started to hum and dance to the song. She's halfway through The Great Hunt. It's so amazing to be able to share this with her. ?

Glad this has been such a positive experience for you.  The anticipation has been growing for me too.  Comparable to the release of Star Wars Episode 1 (before I knew who Jar Jar was ?) and LotR.  Going to be epic!

I really hope they include a few songs that are recognisable! The Wheel of Time turns, after all. From memory there are two songs from our time mentioned in the books, 'Toss the Feathers', and 'Upside Down and Round and Round'. It would be so cool to hear Third Age versions of First Age songs ❤️ imagine hearing Hungarian Dance No. 5 played around the Tinkers' campfire, or a gleeman in the background at an inn spinning a haunting tale about the Master of Puppets. (Side note: bardcore is a thing dontcha know ?)

I also desperately hope the Ogier war song is included! And I hope it's ferocious.

I've listened to it a few

Spoiler

dozen

times now, and I'm definitely confirming my first impression that it has Eastern influences. Some of the verse gives me Arabic chanting vibes. We hear a string instrument and a wind instrument at the beginning that also remind me of Middle-Eastern musical arrangements. The fact that it's combined with Western orchestral and choral music gives it a weird eclectic feel and it might be why it sounds discordant to some people. It definitely took me a couple of listens to get used to it but I think it works pretty well to make it sound a bit alien and a bit familiar at the same time, which totally makes sense conceptually for WoT. They're doing something similar with the costumes, where it's not quite your typical fantasy style of clothing. There's a lot of variety and creativity drawing on different influences that you don't normally see combined. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think it'll give the show a very unique and distinctive style and I'm very excited for that.

Edited by Rose

• 3 weeks later...