DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Username history?

This was just an idea that popped into my head, and I thought it might be interesting to see why people chose their usernames. I understand if this question is too personal, and it's totally fine if you don't want to answer. That said, here's my story. I am a huge fan of the Asha'man, and I was struggling for a username, so when I saw Asha'man in someone else's name, I thought that was a good idea. Then I was looking for an Old Tongue word as the other part. I came across Shar which means of the bloodline of or something close to that. Aman means Dragon, so altogether, my name means either, Asha'man as in the Black Tower, and then I am of the bloodline of the Dragon, or it means Guardian of the bloodline of the Dragon. I'm fine with either, and I haven't decided which one it is. Do you have any stories about why you chose your name?

Moderating note :

I saw that this thread was victim of our daily cloudflare ?

I'll keep this one and take away its twins :)

Awesome thread, thanks for having thought of it ?

I had another handle before, which had a special meaning. I won't comment on it except to say that I went through very bad times a couple of years ago. Part of the reconstruction process drove me to change my rl first name.

I'm so happy and proud of that new first name "Hayley" that i'm using it as a handle.

On some gaming plateforms i'm using "Nyxad3" which is connected to a kind of little pixie-like creature in Elder Scrolls Online (nixad) but also to the Greek goddess of the Night (Nyx).

• Club Leader

On another forum, many, many moons ago, I was looking for a name for a little sister to a character I already had. I was into numerology, so I looked for names that had the correct number for me. (Don't ask me about that. I don't remember how it works anymore...) I ran across Lily and it seemed perfect for a little sister. I've gone by Lily in real life as well. I've used it on dating sites, rather than use my real name. And I used it on other forums. When I came here, Lily was already taken, so I added the character's middle name as well. I really prefer just being called Lily or Lils. 

Used to have another that was also the name of one of my first RP char back when RP had a 3 char limit.  I choose to change (long story short) it and had had some change out in chars, and Liitha was one of my main chars by then and active so felt natural to go with that (in RP Lii is also a bonded warder to a brown AS, a blade- and grandmaster - so a char i put a lot into basically).

twas the night before the 1st of december, and all was sleeping when you suddenly hear a swish and small tittertooter steps

giphy.gif

(check the cuen field trip for answers ;))

Edited by Liitha

@Hayl3y Sedai, sorry about the extras. I kept reloading the page, trying to get to all the topics, and it kept saying I hadn't posted this yet. Thanks for getting rid of them. I'm glad you're done with the bad stuff. 

Lily, that's really interesting!

@Liitha, that's cool!

Thanks for sharing your stories with me! They were all really interesting!

Update forums ruin everything.. like clockwork. ?

(Since I should say something on topic)

I was once Arie Tarou. Then my character "Arie" married her warder, so I changed it to "Arie Ronshor". And then I retired the RP character, and it felt strange to use the name of a character so I took on Andrea, as I was running the WT RP at the time and it felt appropriate to use my RL name. 

Then I left. I came back a few years, took on the name Aubrey, because I had not left with the best of terms with the site. Aubrey, but ended changing back to the normal "Arie" because it felt deceptive to not have at least Andrea or Arie, and it had not been my intention and people called me on it so I just gave in. 

I wouldn't mind changing it to "Ariadne", which I feel is a more elegant version of "Arie", which is actually a male name in -every- name book I read. What I get for button mashing my name 19/20 years ago. But somehow, i think after all this time, it feels appropriate to at least keep this name here, as a legacy. 

Edited by Arie

Phaedra came from the Kushiel book series by Jacqueline Carey. I've always loved the name in general, and the book series reminded me how much I loved the name. I started playing Elvenar earlier this year, and decided to name my elf character Phaedra Stargazer, as I wanted a celestial theme to my city and person. (My city is called Asteri La Fleur).

Anyway, I don't mind sharing my real name (which is Monica), and debated using my name or not here on DM. Ultimately, I thought it would be fun to have a handle again (haven't used one since the 90's when I was discovering Internet Talkers....remember those?! Foothills was my FAV), so I decided to go with a handle ☺️

Edited by Phaedra

My real name is Laura-Gene, but because it drives me absolutely crazy when people immediately shorten that to Laura, I started calling myself LG (long before Goldstar changed their name to LG, btw).

One day a lady phoned me at work and when I said my name is LG, she asked how do I spell that.

I said "LG".

She asked "yes, but how do you spell that?"

I replied, "L .... G".

The lady, clearly exasperated by my dimness, asked "do you spell it E L G E E??"

I said ".... yeah let's go with that."

And that's why I'm Elgee everywhere.

1 hour ago, Elgee said:

My real name is Laura-Gene, but because it drives me absolutely crazy when people immediately shorten that to Laura, I started calling myself LG (long before Goldstar changed their name to LG, btw).

One day a lady phoned me at work and when I said my name is LG, she asked how do I spell that.

I said "LG".

She asked "yes, but how do you spell that?"

I replied, "L .... G".

The lady, clearly exasperated by my dimness, asked "do you spell it E L G E E??"

I said ".... yeah let's go with that."

And that's why I'm Elgee everywhere.

tenor.gif

That is FUNNY.

Mother @Elgee, that's hilarious! I had no idea there was such an interesting story behind your name!

And @Phaedra, your name story was really interesting too! I wondered about yours, since it always seemed like a very unique name.

That was basically my reaction. I was reading it during lunch, and thank the Light I didn't have anything to drink. 

i like how i've actually guessed several of these origins. 

@Elgeeits funny how people want to shorten yours to laura and they want to expand mine to it. (am equally annoyed) 

well i'll throw my name in the ring, basically Cross was my first username for community, dang almost 20 years ago now. it was something that sprang to mind at the time but quickly came to mean more than just something chosen. before i broke into the industry i'm in, i had made a promise, that if God got me in He could have my name. He did, undeniably, and so i began using Cross as my name to be used in credits. i've answered to it in real life at conventions, it's what my comics and novels are written under. and so it's become me as much as my real name and i use it pretty much everywhere online. 

I love this thread. It's so interesting to read about how people came up with their handles.

Gotta hitch a ride to the North Pole! Can't be late for Christmas!

elf-4721604__340.png

Edited by Phaedra

6 hours ago, Phaedra said:

I love this thread. It's so interesting to read about how people came up with their handles.

Thanks Phaedra! You're welcome to create this topic elsewhere, if you would like. I'm probably going to for my reqs.