DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why did you choose Aes Sedai or Warder track?

I'm at a point in my journey where I started questioning my choice in track. It's the first choice you make in here, and I feel you do it basically blindfolded, some (that read the books first, lol) may choose the track they feel most connected to from the books.

But I've been here long enough now, to realize the book tracks aren't nessesarily fully representative for WT/warder's tracks.

So I figured this place needs a track discussion tread for all the lava's in this world.?

-Why did you choose warder/Aes Sedai?

-If you ever doubted your track, what made you stay in/leave the track?

Discuss away!

• Club Leader

Back when I first arrived, we didn't do any research to choose a path. At least none that I recall. I toyed with the idea of becoming my sister's Warder. (She's the one who twisted my arm invited me to DM.) I'm very protective of those I love. Keep in mind that she said "I know this great community and Jade's there." I love Jade, who is also not on DM anymore. I hadn't heard of Robert Jordan, never mind read any of his work. So, I was truly blind. 

My decision ultimately came from my love of magic. And being Green (which is a choice I made later on) I can wield a sword, too. It was a close decision for me. I could have gone either way. 

• RP - LEGACY

It was very close for me. I nearly went Warder, but Aes Sedai called me more. I visited each group and was comfortable with several. I was torn by Grey, White, Brown, and Green.

I was in a point in my life where I was on a journey. Trying to find myself as well as my home here. I was always drawn by the idea of the Warder as a protector. I think that was part of the draw of the Green Ajah as the Battle Ajah. But I focused on who I was, who I wanted to be, and where felt like home and would help me grow and I could help support.

Perhaps that a bit more beyond just choosing a track, but I think it is important to ask those questions.

I am Aes Sedai. Green Ajah. But I was very nearly pulled to the Warder ranks. And I still have great respect for the Warders.

Awww, you two!?

Well we still don't really research to choose a path, but I recon I have a responsibility on my own too, hence the thread?

It's like that saying you say to us newbies; family within a family, right? Well I just realized it's actually a family, within a family, within a family (I missed family 2).

Family 1: the whole WT/warders.

Family 2: Aes Sedai or warder.

Family 3: ajah or disc.

I'm still learning, but here's a couple of posts that really helped me a lot in understanding the warders (thank you Mills and James!):

Hm ok I think I said many times or at least feels like it over the years why I change tracks.

Why did I end up in the wrong track for me to begin with though?

Well I never really pondered that fully. I joined th RP first we could have three chars and I had one in both tracks, but I guess you could say I used my AS one more in the begining of my DM years. The rp also alternates from books some, but maybe not as much as the org ?

I guess between who I was in the RP and knowing several people in the AS track from the WT (how I kept geting draged over), while I cant remember my thougths back then I think those two aspects likely played into why I quickly setled on novice track when I had too choose one. Though I briefly remember thinking about it if not the details around it.

And it wasnt till I neared my acceptance raising I started questioning it as far as I can remember (and I think I used some times, used to be more classes and the lot back then).

I was also very in doubt what to do and if I was overthinking it all about the whole change, in the end I think I got a bit over it all so even if still not a 110 percent I choose to make a jump and get it over with. And as it turned out later it was the rigth choice..for me.

I have been an "Aes Sedai" since 2001. It was just the natural path at the time as when i joined, RP and Community were still the same thing. So, there wasn't really a 'path' persay and the Ajah's were HUGE and full of personality and activity. Genuinely very different from what this place is now. 

6? ish years ago I tried to change paths. The people running the warders didn't feel I was a fit, that I've been a Sedai so long that how could I not be a Sedai. Coming off some other bad response (because i have a sorrid and bloody history here), I did not take it kindly and left again. 

I am honestly both. I am a warder that branishes a sword to protect those that I care about, Green Stripe not included. And in other communities I have gone that path and felt happy and settled. 

Over all, I have settled in Yellow here because it has just ended as a good fit. *shrugs* I have more than one stripe in my personality, having been in more than one Ajah here as is (but hey, 19 years active you change a bit over that time). So, sliding into a Ren'Shai leadership will suit me just as easily as the Yellow or any other Ajah. I'm not defined entirely by one path, I never will. But I am happy and welcomed where I am and that is enough.

Edited by Arie

I felt very called to the Aes Sedai path here. I'm protective and will fight, thus the Green Ajah (plus all of my Sisters.) 

I was pulled to the Blue in the Books due to causes and the willingness to sacrifice everything for what is right.

The book Greens actually do the fighting and like men, as do I.

I'm like Moraine in the sense that I only feel the need for one exceptional Warder.

I could never stay in the Tower most of the time but I have a Brown streak. I love reading and history. The Browns study history and attempt to pull gold nuggets from it to assist in the present.

Could I see myself as a Warder? I'm toying with starting a Warder trainee character in RP. I'd like to experience that as well.

Joining Warders didn't cross my mind in dragonmount.

When I join back in 2006, I never feel like I could be a protector - opposite to a protected. Also, I wanted to follow the book canon and immediately joined the Greens like a very good friend of mine.

Later after a break (my friend was not around by then) I found a new home with the Reds. It suited me very well - So well that I confess I didn't really checked the Warders ?  - Now, you know how I ended up becoming a Blue ?

As much as I do martial arts / medieval fights / ...  and spend a lot of time with guys, I'm super girly (I only own like 2 or 3 pair of pants), Aes Sedai is just so much more me ^^  

Wow thank you guys! This is so interesting reading! 

But (if I understand it correctly), if the warders protect us, work their fit little tushies of in both the discs and ajahs etc etc..

I mean they work, they cook, they clean, what are we Aes Sedais supposed to do? Sit on a chair and look pretty?

WCL.gif

All the work? No no a body guard protect the one working..I am solidly sure your suposed to do the rest like cook (grey), gather knowledge to help the world (brown) take care of others and be the heart (yellow)..and so on and forth

While we sitt and look pretty as we wave our swords at the imaginary flies that could posible hurt you ..nodnods (makes perfect sence ? )

honestly the warder path was never really an option in my mind. it just didn't appeal. i did my due diligence in training, explored them as with every other ajah, but it's a lifestyle that doesn't suit me personally. also none of the disc's appealed to who i was or who i wanted to be. so i knew pretty early on it was aes sedai for me. 

The warder path, in my mind, first started as a character role, back in 2002/3 when I started writing Cairma. (Though i'm super fuzzy on the dates). A non-channeler running away from big problems punishing herself to be stronger when she felt like the weakest person in the world. 

Mentally, a lot of that mentality is there for me. I dislike feeling weak and powerless. That my voice doesn't matter. Warders has a different take on pride, strength and honor. Key things that have nothing to do with the Ajahs, where the Ajahs core of their groups is centered around Sisterhood. Sure, Warders have a 'brotherhood' but there is still that lone-wolf with a pack just a call away. (Yes, i get that its a bit sexist to say, but it really isn't) The psychology behind a brotherhood and a sisterhood are very similar though they function in completely different ways. And the more Dragonmount grew, the more that is generally evident in how Warders function differently than Ajah's, especially when Bonding anyone no longer factored into the formal purpose of the warders. 

So, Ajah's serve different purposes and kinda function more as guilds and groups, while the Warders stand more for their philosophy on their outlook then on what they actually enjoy doing as individuals. 

That being said, it doesn't apply to ALL ajahs, but if I did a comparison of the Gray and Blue to the Warders, it is more distinctive than, say the Green or Red.

Edited by Arie

I never really had any doubt when I joined.  However much I said it was a hard choice in my graduation thread, it wasn't.  I knew I was a Warder from the beginning.

How I knew that...well, as Arie said above, there is a very different mentality to a brotherhood than a sisterhood, I fit quite nicely into one but observing the other...I don't.   I've almost always connected to soldiers I've talked with.  And I am a bit of a lone wolf.  While I'm very extroverted now, I haven't been always.  So yeah, it's an honour to serve.

Well I would totally too (if I had one, wich I would love to have!)

I just feel like the place "who I am and want to be" , and where I feel "home and relaxed" is two different places. *snivels* 

tenor.gif?itemid=12301613

And I'm really overtired, lol.. And feel pulled in all different direction like...

giphy.gif

well it may help that i feel at home and comfortable in ajah's other than my own. they can be two different things and that's ok. the main question you need to ask yourself is, which of the two do you want to define your path here? for me i wanted something that aligned with who i want to be, because i knew that i could feel at home and participate anywhere here on the boards. see what i mean?

• Club Leader

That makes sense. I approached it the opposite way. I asked "Where do I feel is my home?" That was the question that gave me clarity. 

The thing is that it was the people that I was drawn to, and they have all left or are very inactive now. I still think I made the right choice, but in retrospect, it might not have been the best method. 

I love the sisters who are Green now, and have that feeling back, but there was some time where I didn't and considered switching Ajahs.