DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cutting Berelain

MayEastRise

On 5/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, MayEastRise said:

For 2. you could just have Dobraine be the steward from the beginning IMO

I hope they cast Dobraine. He was a favorite minor character for me in the books. His loyalty to Rand was total and Rand needs those types of characters around him.  I was disappointed in how his plot sorta died in the books, after he was stabbed. I hope they do him justice in the show. Hopefully better than Ingtar was in the show, who was another favorite minor character of mine in the books. 

On 11/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, nsmallw said:

I hope they cast Dobraine. He was a favorite minor character for me in the books. His loyalty to Rand was total and Rand needs those types of characters around him.  I was disappointed in how his plot sorta died in the books, after he was stabbed. I hope they do him justice in the show. Hopefully better than Ingtar was in the show, who was another favorite minor character of mine in the books. 

Yeah, I really liked Dobraine.  If there is one minor complaint about the BS conclusion that I am far more bitter about than I should be, it’s that Dobraine doesn’t do anything after angry Rand sends him away.  He needs a conclusion.

• 1 month later...

imagine if Perrin left Faile and took up a relationship with an obviously more politically savy Berelain....imagine if he put duty above what is basically, a teenage crush....

imagine if he developed as a man and fell for the more experienced and travelled woman, and let the younger Faile be free and find herself....

i have major issues with the Perrin/Faile relationship.....i know Jordan wasnt great at romance...but these two are headed for serious relationship problems, i mean, she flat out refuses to acknowledge his culture when it comes to 'courting'...shes an eejit....

On 1/21/2024 at 2:10 AM, RextheDog said:

imagine if Perrin left Faile and took up a relationship with an obviously more politically savy Berelain....imagine if he put duty above what is basically, a teenage crush....

imagine if he developed as a man and fell for the more experienced and travelled woman, and let the younger Faile be free and find herself....

i have major issues with the Perrin/Faile relationship.....i know Jordan wasnt great at romance...but these two are headed for serious relationship problems, i mean, she flat out refuses to acknowledge his culture when it comes to 'courting'...shes an eejit....

Does it ever say how old Faile is?  I always assumed she was roughly the same age as Perrin.  

And Berelain starts the series in her early twenties.  She’s barely a bit older than the main characters.  As far as experience and travel, Faile is the one traveling on her own.  They both grew up in a royal court and were raised to navigate tricky politics.

7 hours ago, Samt said:

Does it ever say how old Faile is?  I always assumed she was roughly the same age as Perrin.  

And Berelain starts the series in her early twenties.  She’s barely a bit older than the main characters.  As far as experience and travel, Faile is the one traveling on her own.  They both grew up in a royal court and were raised to navigate tricky politics.

Faile is 14/15 at the start of the series, 16/17 when she marries Perrin, and 17/18 in AMoL. I presume they'll age her up for the show like they did with Egwene. (For reference, Egwene and Elayne are 16 at the start of the books.)

You know, it would actually be the option tied to modern sensibilities. Dump the psycotic violent girl, get the saner one. Have faile being dragged away by the police for assaulting berelain with a knife, that's pretty serious business, our modern society frowns heavily on attempted murder of a love rival.

It would not even be a bigger change than some they made already.

But no, they are not going to do that. I doubt viewers will accept it. They will make faile less crazy and more relatable, like they did for the other girls

On 1/24/2024 at 2:03 AM, king of nowhere said:

You know, it would actually be the option tied to modern sensibilities. Dump the psycotic violent girl, get the saner one. Have faile being dragged away by the police for assaulting berelain with a knife, that's pretty serious business, our modern society frowns heavily on attempted murder of a love rival.

It would not even be a bigger change than some they made already.

But no, they are not going to do that. I doubt viewers will accept it. They will make faile less crazy and more relatable, like they did for the other girls

Berelain is definitely not not a psycho.  She just knows how to play it a little better.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:04 AM, dwn said:

Faile is 14/15 at the start of the series, 16/17 when she marries Perrin, and 17/18 in AMoL. I presume they'll age her up for the show like they did with Egwene. (For reference, Egwene and Elayne are 16 at the start of the books.)

Whoa, where is this information from? I never imagined Faile that young. I always pictured her as about 20, same as the main characters.

Edited by Irvyne

9 hours ago, Irvyne said:

Whoa, where is this information from? I never imagined Faile that young. I always pictured her as about 20, same as the main characters.

Faile, per the wiki, is 17 when the Great Hunt is called. Now over all this does put her three years younger than Perrin, But she is the same age as Elayne and Egwene.

As far as the relationship type I don't think it will be as problematic if they portray it differently. We live in a post 50 Shades world, after all, and a strong, independent, woman who wants to be dominated and be with a man can be assertive, and respects her enough to let her do her own thing - while being right there to rescue her if something goes wrong? Hardly a bad thing with the right lense.

• RP - PLAYER

I believe it is stated by some people here that RJ corrected Faile's age when she got married upwards by a couple years. But search hates me and I cannot find those threads or any evidence of this on the internet. 

Ah, remembered I started the thread so I could find it after all. 

*passes the PG13 sign on the way in* 

Going back a bit. I think this storyline is going to point the focus on a more intense issue in Perrin regarding whether he can control his temper and emotions around Faile, who does test him constantly. This will be especially highlighted after the set up with his wife at the start. The conflict between if he can trust himself with expressing his feelings as intensely as he wants to and the fear he constantly has of harming her will really become focused in his story now. But to her credit, I also don't think Faile is acting just to provoke him for no reason. I think the deeper issue is she wants to see something in him other than a suffering, brooding victim ~ which will now be particularly intense. Later, she starts to want someone who can match her. She's going to lead and in one form or another she needs a partner who can stand with her. She sees the potential in Perrin to be a great leader and sets out to bring that out in him and uses everything at her disposal to nurture it. Of course those are also some of the same qualities that are attractive to her in the first place but she also won't be giving her heart to someone who isn't strong enough to hold it and keep it safe, while still managing to respect her (as she is constantly demanding with her knives). 

As far as Berelain/Perrin/Faile. Yes, this is used to show Faile's personal issues around jealousy but also shows that Perrin doesn't quite know how to actually reach out and clearly grasp and choose what he wants. It's even taken to the extreme with the dream trap where he has to literally throw himself at the hedgehog and grab it to go after Faile. So while he might hold his limits with Berelain, he doesn't allow himself to then truly turn to Faile and make her feel wanted. And while this bothers her on a personal level it becomes even more of an issue in the need to have a man at her side who can lead with her, rather than just being dragged along. And it also shows that Berelain, who's main draw is men who have the ability to be politically powerful, sees that in Perrin as well. 

And in defense of Berelain ~ She has a country to run and advisors and others who seek to run her. Why wouldn't she want the most powerful person around to help her regain control? 

RJ seemed to want to use relationships to stimulate the best in people. He wanted to build partnerships that showed how complimentary various relationships could be with different  types of power balances within them, and even how that dynamic could move without it being harmful to either party. I think it's why he only hinted at the ultimate power couple in the books. Rand and Berelain. 

He's the Dragon Reborn. She's got power, money, resources and the knowledge to rule taught to her from an incredibly young age. Together, she insulates him from Lanfear and Aes Sedai and he frees her to rule. But that takes away all the other interesting dynamics that RJ liked to explore in writing relationships, in general. He may not have always written the best love scenes themselves and the awkwardness can be a little bit too awkward sometimes but the concepts he presented were ahead of their time.