DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

People can be so rude!

Elgee

And then you get into feminine and masculine spellings of root names.   Michael (m) vs Michelle (f).  But then there are different spellings even of Michael (Mikael, etc.) and so on.

I always that Michelle was the female form of Mitchell, which is related to Michael but then there's Michaela for the females there :P

There is also Michel. (And loads more, I'm sure. But Michel looks to me the closest masculine equivalent of Michelle.)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Michelle comes from Michael too. There are different female version of the names in different countries. Michaela/Mikaela are a more Eastern European version, also found in Sweden and Finnland. Mitchell is also a name that comes from Michael.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_%28name%29

(ten imaginary points to the person who manages to spot the link between that page and my username)

Michele, Michel, Michell, and also Michael pronounced Mishell, are all boys names in France. The only way for it to be a girls name is two e's, two l's.

Hehehehe, my name is Hannah. I've very occasionally been called Anna, but only once or twice. A few teachers called me by surname, which I don't mind, friends do it on rare occasion too. Everyone has to ask about the h on the end, and then half the people go, 'ooh, your name's a palindrome!' to which I politely say, 'oh really? Cool!'.

As for nicknames, well, no-one's ever really tried, although a friend from uni is determined to shorten it to Han, which I don't really mind, and a lot of people in school, including teachers, would refer to me and my gf as Hannie (her name is Annie). It was initially accidental because Hannah and Annie can apparently be a little hard to say, but then it just stuck. :P But that's just a joint nickname, no-one's ever called me that, and I'm glad, I don't really like it.

People get my name wrong pretty frequently... Although sometimes I can't blame them haha it is a bit weird. My  first name is Ché (pronounced Shay). The accent on the 'e' is fairly crucial to the pronunciation, so it does miff me a bit when people don't even try to put it on when they write it, since that completely changes my name. It's the same as spelling it incorrectly haha. The amount of times I've been called Chii, or Che (like in Spanish haha) I couldn't begin to say. Was always a nightmare when a new teacher would call out my name. "Is Chi here?" And I would hang my head in shame while the whole class giggled.

And my last name as well....it's Grové, but pronounced Gruveea (with like a guttural G and a rolled R, so you gotta work up some phlegm to say it right! :biggrin:) It was easier for people in South Africa to get it right as that sort of pronunciation is fairly common there but in NZ where it's almost entirely English, not so much :tongue: Since I moved to NZ where they really struggle with saying it I've been happy for people to just say it phoenetically. HOWEVER. This new thing has come up where everyone calls me Groves. Chi Groves???? :huh:  That's not even mildly my name .... even on official documents. So not only are they not bothering with the accents which are pretty vital, at least to my first name, now they're adding letters? I don't know how hard it is to just not put an 's' on the end. But then again, Kiwis are rather terrible at double checking their spelling haha (still love you guys though! :wink: ).

Wow, I ranted much harder on that than I thought I would..... :rolleyes: sorry about that haha

People get my name wrong pretty frequently... Although sometimes I can't blame them haha it is a bit weird. My  first name is Ché (pronounced Shay). The accent on the 'e' is fairly crucial to the pronunciation, so it does miff me a bit when people don't even try to put it on when they write it, since that completely changes my name. It's the same as spelling it incorrectly haha. The amount of times I've been called Chii, or Che (like in Spanish haha) I couldn't begin to say. Was always a nightmare when a new teacher would call out my name. "Is Chi here?" And I would hang my head in shame while the whole class giggled.

And my last name as well....it's Grové, but pronounced Gruveea (with like a guttural G and a rolled R, so you gotta work up some phlegm to say it right! :biggrin:) It was easier for people in South Africa to get it right as that sort of pronunciation is fairly common there but in NZ where it's almost entirely English, not so much :tongue: Since I moved to NZ where they really struggle with saying it I've been happy for people to just say it phoenetically. HOWEVER. This new thing has come up where everyone calls me Groves. Chi Groves???? :huh:  That's not even mildly my name .... even on official documents. So not only are they not bothering with the accents which are pretty vital, at least to my first name, now they're adding letters? I don't know how hard it is to just not put an 's' on the end. But then again, Kiwis are rather terrible at double checking their spelling haha (still love you guys though! :wink: ).

Wow, I ranted much harder on that than I thought I would..... :rolleyes: sorry about that haha

Ooooh ex-South African??

Ooooh ex-South African??

Ja, ek is :) Ek mis Suid Afrika so baie. Ek sien jy is van Kaapstad?

My name is Brian. I can't say I have ever gotten upset by having my name spelt wrong. i have gotten amused a lot when I see Brain though. Seriously. You can't see you just wrote/typed the word brain. They must be a special kind of stupid. Then I laugh at them and it makes me happy. When it comes to professional situations though you have to say Mr/Ms./Mrs. That aggravates me. Or the use of a nicname in a professional setting. Hell, I don't care if you and I are of the best of friends. If we are conducting business with other clients do NOT use my nicname. That is not the type of impression I want to give. Or when a colleague/manager gives you a nicname off the bat. grrrrrrrrrr. IDGAF, I cut that asap. lol I have in the past stopped a manager in mid sentence by steppin all close talker like lol and saying lowly but politely 'I will appreciate you not using nicnames again. I introduced myself as Brian. Thank you for your cooperation". Never happened again. lol I don't play with that annoying stuff. Waste of time.

Sadly  I have to admit that I am on of those who forgets names as soon as he turns around. It's a legit issue though! lol. I have problems with my short term memory! Sometimes i have to literally write it out, over and over again, to help me remember it after they have gone.................if i remember to do it -_-

Weird that some people over here in RL get offended because I call them with their full name instead of their preffered shortened one. I have a friend named Buğrahan and everyone is calling him Buğra instead of Buğrahan. Well, I do. And he says "please do not do that" :) Also I have amusing moments when people from outside countries try to say my name :D I am sure French people would be amused to hear my French, as well, or sometimes I mess up with spelling some words in English! So yeah, maybe I should not have fun with anyone about this because I am like that as well...

• 2 weeks later...

If you look it up on the character map, you can find the shortcut to get the fancy symbols. Holding down Alt then pressing 0246 on the right-side keypad will get you this:

ö

But, again, it's just laziness.

If you're on a smartphone or tablet, you wont have a righthand keypad. Or an alt key.
But on android you just hold the key/button and you get options.

Kukasö

Archived