DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are all of the WoT books as slow as the first three????

QuarantinedGod

I just finished the first 3 books in the series and I was wondering if they are all as slow as the first three.

And also, if the rest of the books continue on having this formula of walking for 500 pages and then having the giant climax.

I know this sounds kinda mean, but I don't want to read the books if they are all like the first three so can you save me the suspense. Thanks a bunch.

I dont think the books are nearly as slow as a bunch of people claim.

I believe the books ahve a great storyline and I really wanted to continue reading the books as soon as I could.

I hate to break it to you, but the general setup of fictional novels is most of the book is rising action and then near the end of the book is the climax and then falling action. If you just want action action action and you dont care for all the description and storylines in a fantasy epic I would suggest sticking to movies or something. Sorry if that was a little harsh, but the first 3 books werent slow in my opinion.

Generally I too don't see that the books are necessarily slow, only there's so much ground to cover that one book doesn't always amount to so much for one particular storyline. However, I think both PoD and CoT furthered the plots as much tEotW, only in the last there was only one plot to cover. But if it was slow, so will the rest be. I think in these books the action part can be just the fulfillment of what has been set to happen, though of course it can go wrong. However, it's the setting that makes the story.

For us who are always waiting for the next book, getting at best perhaps five chapters concerning one particular storyline between, things will inevitably seem slow. Perhaps it's different for those who've just started. Well, now we can enjoy the last wait.

Really, im finding them slow but not as bad as everyone says. I guess it also makes a difference if you dont have to wait one or two years before reading the next book. I started when Book 11 came out, so I didnt have a pause in the middle or after I finish a book. Right now I'm on Winters Heart, and I find it really interesting. Maybe just maybe WOT isnt your kinda thing.

I think you an always go back to comparing things to food *g*

Somme like fast food... others gourmet dining.

For me RJ has hit on exactly the right pace. I have been dissapointed by other authors that started the same way... painting a detailed picture, only to cut things to the bone once they got famous. WoT is pretty consistent all the way through.

I'd advise persevering. Some bits are really good and make you feel that the slog through the other pages was worthwhile. On the other hand, I managed to read Lord of Chaos in 5 days and Crossroads of Twilight took me three weeks to read because I got very, very bored ;)

I don't mind the pace of the books, but I think the first three are definitely faster paced than the rest, especially the first book.

I think if RJ were writing the first book at the pace he was for the later books, it would have ended up being at least two (maybe three) books of the same size. I imagine the first book would end at Shadar Logoth.. They would be the same size because equal amounts of characterization, politics, and mundanities would be added to make them that way. I think that is the source of most dissenters complaints of the series, but I think it just makes the world richer. Half the point of having a fantasy world is to give it its own identity...

Wow.... If you think that the first three were slow you're in trouble... It's only up hill through snow and frozen mollases from there. Don't get discouraged though most of the books have enough in them to get you through. except 10....

i did always think they went slow, but i kinda liked that, and even i did get tried of it, the end more than made up for it. il always find the last 200 pages or so only seem to last for minutes, and if you averaged out the pace of the of them they'd be a reasonable speed (erm sorry if im rambled a bit)

I see what you are all saying. The end of each book is worth the 500 pages of walking (it isn't rising action... it's just walking). I'll probably go the distance but I just wanted to make sure that I knew what to expect.

Plus, I have to see what happens to Perrin. He's my fav!

Thanks for all the replies!!!

PS- Fast food can be good too.

What I would say to everyone who has read the series maybe only once... read it again.

On the second read, some of the slower books are much more interesting because you suddenly realise where a lot of seemingly unimportant stuff actually fits into the broader picture and that totally changes your view on some of the chapters.

I think most people who have been there, agree... the second read is better than the first!

I've just finished reading TDR which took me about a week to read, and I'd say all in all, it went rather quickly, same with tEotW, that one took me about a week and a half. But tGH took me about three weeks to read... It just dragged on for a bit at some point and I just put the book down. And I agree, the last 150 pages or so are definitely worth the bumpy stretch of a road to get there. I've read 236 pages so far in tSR and I just bought the book yesterday. XD I love these books!

There comes a time in the books when you need to just skip any chapter where Elayne, Nyneave, or Egwene are points of view.

Sure, later in the series, you may be reading only 5 chapters, but those chapters will usually deal with items actually of importance to the storyline.

Actually, except for Min and maybe Moiraine, I would suggest skipping any chapter from a female, even during the first read of the series.

lol... funny, Slinx, I find myself skipping more when Rand an Perrin appear... where as I am positively looking forward to any that involve Egwene *g*

Archived