DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Simple questions, get simple answers (aMoL version covering the entire series)

Barid Bel Medar

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

As we all know mat was killed by lightning by Rahvin even tho he had his fox head on.

Rand even says that the fox head didnt protect him from the attack.

later on tho he is protected by it against both forms of the one power can anyone explain this?

many thanks 

Hi, welcome to the boards :)

It's because the lightning was something real created by a weave, not just a weave. The medallion dissolves weaves but can do nothing about the effects of weaves, remember the girls using sai'dir to throw things at him? Or if somebody used the Power to start a fire, once the fire was 'real' his medallion wouldn't protect him from it.

Also if something explodes right in front of you, it won't protect from that.  So you can' t cast fireball right at mat but you could still aim it to strike right in front of him.  Mat could still be hit with lightning exploding near him or if it redirected off the shield Rand created are 2 ways he could still be killed.  But yeah from my understanding, with weather if you create a thunder storm, the lightning it would produce wouldn't be made from the power.  But as people said since it was directly aimed at him he was vulnerable. So there are still many ways Mat could get blown to bits. 

So did the Pattern even do much Ta'vereness manipulation back in the age of legends? During the War of Power the Shadow managed to almost win despite the Light having Lews Therin on their side, as well as a crap ton of hi tech machinery and fully trained Aes Sedai soldiers.

Yet look at how Rand and the other heroes have been able to best the Forsaken through sheer luck and coincidental happenstance throughout the entire series. Why wasnt this happening back in the Age of Legends too?

So did the Pattern even do much Ta'vereness manipulation back in the age of legends? During the War of Power the Shadow managed to almost win despite the Light having Lews Therin on their side, as well as a crap ton of hi tech machinery and fully trained Aes Sedai soldiers.

Yet look at how Rand and the other heroes have been able to best the Forsaken through sheer luck and coincidental happenstance throughout the entire series. Why wasnt this happening back in the Age of Legends too?

Presumably because the DO's quasi-unleashing was part of the Pattern's way of restoring balance to a world that was skewed too far towards eliminating all suffering and conflict?

Hi

As we all know mat was killed by lightning by Rahvin even tho he had his fox head on.

later on tho he is protected by it against both forms of the one power can anyone explain this?

many thanks

This thread merged with the simple questions topic

Well Moghedien getting mindtrapped was RJ. We have no idea, at least I don't, how much of Mesaana's demise was RJ and how much Brandon. Personally, I think one of the Foresaken should have survived intact, Moghedien's leashed and Greandal and Mesaana are drooling idiots now.

Well Moghedien getting mindtrapped was RJ. We have no idea, at least I don't, how much of Mesaana's demise was RJ and how much Brandon. Personally, I think one of the Foresaken should have survived intact, Moghedien's leashed and Greandal and Mesaana are drooling idiots now.

Well, in regards to Mog it just feels like TGS is dumping on her a lot. Like it says that Graendal is better at Mog's job than Mog is. That Mog "Spins so many webs that she gets caught in them"

what? That had nothing to do with why she lost. She lost because her pride got the better of her and she felt like chasing after Nynaeve for revenge rather than letting her go and going back to pure scheming.

Hi

many thanks

This thread merged with the simple questions topic

The medallions protect their wearers from direct weaves, but not from the consequences of those weaves. Lightning is not a weave, it's a natural phenomenon that results from certain weather-controlling weaves (notice that channelers can't bolt people out of the blue; storm clouds appear first). Channeling directs the clouds and guides the release of energy, but the release of energy (the bolt) is not made of the One Power. 

my question about  Tarmon Gaidon statistics; did an internet search shortly before starting this post.  closest result of that search was a page on the theoryland site.

the page::  http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7771

about taveren and Age of Legends; the books do not explicitly tell if there were any then.  though Loial speculated in Eye of World of Lews Therin being one.

I recall somewhere telling that there were taveren in Age of Legends.  do not remember where.

both Lanfear and Ishamael knew how to track Ta'veren effects there were ta'veren in the AoL. Lews Therin was likely ta'veren, but we don't have confirmation. 

On the War of Power: 

In the AoL, it was entirely different. They didn't see the DO as ultimate evil at first, they had no idea what it was. So unlike the 3rd Age where Darkfriends are few and far between, almost half the population of the world fought for the DO. Add Shadowspawn and other things into the mix, Lews Therin and co. were at a disadvantage. 

A theory is that the Pattern used Lews Therin and Latra Pose as a desperate attempt to save itself. The DO was about to win, drastic measures had to be taken. So Lews Therin was the one to seal the DO temporarily, tainting saidin, and the women ALL opposed his plan and didn't take part. Presumably with a little help from the Pattern so that saidar didn't get tainted as well. 

Lews Therin kinda got the back end of that deal, but it goes to show just how close the DO was to actually winning. The Pattern deemed that tainting one half of the OP was a necessary sacrifice. (Remembering that the Pattern comabats ANYTHING regarding the Dark One as the DO is the antithesis to the Pattern's survival. Having saidin entirely tainted by the DO's touch was a HUGE blow.) 

so is it like, easier for the Pattern to weave coincidences to trap and beat the Forsaken now because there isnt that many of them left?

I keep forgetting how much the Pattern knows of what the forsaken will do. I kinda tried to think of it as, "when the dark one influences them to do things it shifts the pattern's predictions about them somewhat. So when they were freed the pattern had from that moment onwards to weave against them or to use them.

So, the Pattern could predict that Mesaana was going to rip the tower in two but it couldn't figure out a way to stop her from accomplishing it so it started weaving for Egwene to become the Amyrlin for the rebel faction that would be spawned from it.

Yeah, pretty much.

It can't send down a Creator lightning bolt to kill any interference, it isn't sentient. It's like a computer, and humans/sentient creatures are it's virus busters. 

With the Forsaken, the Pattern can't react as well because they are influenced by the DO, but it can still read them as they are a part of the Pattern. 

So yeah, with Mesaana, the Pattern could only put Egwene there as the best way of dealing with Mesaana. It doesn't guarantee that it will work nothing is when the DO is involved, and the Pattern can't stop the damage Mesaana did with capturing Rand and splitting the Tower. It can only provide a solution through people. Ta'veren are like extra-strong virus busters, but not infallible for all that.  

Remember though, if the tower hadn't split, it would have interfered with Rand. The Tairens and Carhienen were restless under Rand without very much prompting, a whole tower would've made that 10 times worse. Suian probably would've fallen without Mesaana

I don't know. Siuan was a truly good person. The PAttern may have been preparing a series of events that would end in her making a lot of reform within the tower. But the presense of a Forsaken screwed that up and forced it to create a work around.

Please don't take the Forsaken's moments of competence away from me. This is why I was terrified of reading the series in the first place. :(

Hi all! I just finished the last book. I'm probably going to start from the beginning and do a re-read. My question is about the "void". Does anyone know if this is something that can be/has been done in real life? I've always loved reading about the void in the series and am curious if it's based on anything real. I did do a search here and didn't find anything on it so I apologize if it's been addressed before.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I just finished the last book. I'm probably going to start from the beginning and do a re-read. My question is about the "void". Does anyone know if this is something that can be/has been done in real life? I've always loved reading about the void in the series and am curious if it's based on anything real. I did do a search here and didn't find anything on it so I apologize if it's been addressed before.

Thanks.

Well... it seems to be pretty clearly based on meditation exercises. I doubt it'll do much for your reflexes, however.

Does anyone know whether RJ made enough notes for BS to write the book about tuon and mat that I've seen tantalising hints about throughout the forums, or has it been abandoned due to RJ's death?

There will be no more WoT books aside from the Encyclopedia. Two things here:

1. RJ was very much against any type of shared world scenario.

2. There isn't near enough source material.

This is all we have for Mat and Tuon:

Interview: Feb 22nd, 2013 Question

What happens next? Somebody please tell me.

Brandon Sanderson

Well I can tell you a few things actually. The sequel trilogy that he was writing, he left us two sentences. One is, Mat is dicing in a gutter somewhere. And the other is Perrin is on a boat traveling to Seanchan thinking about how he's got to go kill a friend.

Archived