DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Simple questions, get simple answers (aMoL version covering the entire series)

Barid Bel Medar

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any word on wether or not the seanchan "omens" are pure superstition? The westerners seem to think so, but the seanchan seem to view western beliefs about taveren, etc. in the same light. Could it be that the seanchan can use natural occurances as a way to somehow read the pattern?

I thought about that a lot. I think it may be a mix. Fortuona says in AMoL something to the effect that the Empire hasn't had a doomseer in 300 years. Apparently they have had people in the empire with Min's talent, and they were given some measure of prestige. They probably took the stories/writings of those individuals and what they saw in images and auras and corrupted them into their system of reading omens in the natural world. ie, a doomseer sees a rosebush (or whatever), interprets it as 'x' and Seanchan culture absorbs rosebushes as being associated with 'x'. Whether it works or not, it seems clear that the omen thing got started by people like Min.

If Min's thing is genetic like channeling, perhaps it was more common in the bloodlines over there in Seanchan. 

that is a cool idea. 

Five Bloodknives were sent with the assault on the White Tower, but I only remember four being delt with: The one killed by Siuan and Gareth, and the three that Gawyn took care of. Did I miss something?

Egwene mentions to Gawyn after the battle in TaR in ToM that they caught the last one.

Guest scottyboy

Hey everyone! quick thought/question? In her visions of the future Aviendha sees her children from Rand and they are extremely powerful. to the point where they don't even need to be taught to channel it just comes natural. Is this a possible evolution do to the straingth of their parents? 

Also in regards to Rand and his no longer channeling the one power. from the way the pipe seen is described it seems clear to me that rand still has a power. I mean no channeling simply lighting a pipe with a thought? is it possible that in the last battle rather than burning out is it possible he reach a higher point and simply evolved himself?

Hey everyone! quick thought/question? In her visions of the future Aviendha sees her children from Rand and they are extremely powerful. to the point where they don't even need to be taught to channel it just comes natural. Is this a possible evolution do to the straingth of their parents? 

Also in regards to Rand and his no longer channeling the one power. from the way the pipe seen is described it seems clear to me that rand still has a power. I mean no channeling simply lighting a pipe with a thought? is it possible that in the last battle rather than burning out is it possible he reach a higher point and simply evolved himself?

1. The ability of Avi's quads to channel from birth is mentioned as one of Min's viewings; the how or why is unknown. Perhaps since they were together only after VoG, when he became "anointed in the light" had something to do with it.

2. There are several threads which discuss this at great length. The Rand's Power thread is a good place to start. Some suggest that for Rand, TAR and the Real World are virtually the same. Others suggest that he doesn't need to channel anymore, he can reach into the fibers of the pattern itself - i.e. "ultra" super-ta'averen. Plenty of other theories as well.

Can balefire go through a gateway, or would the gateway be balefired?

the Adventures of Androl and Pevara subplot would suggest that balefire can Travel through a gateway, but if the balefire stream touches the gateway weave, presumably the gateway would vanish.

the Adventures of Androl and Pevara subplot would suggest that balefire can Travel through a gateway, but if the balefire stream touches the gateway weave, presumably the gateway would vanish.
Okay then, here goes. If you were to open a gateway, then I balefired you hard to the face from the other side, what would happen?

the one who opened the gateway would cease to exist, and so would the gateway proportionate to the power of the balefire. if the balefire continued after the gateway vanished, then anything in the new path of the balefire would run into problems as well. However, the paradoxical nature of the balefire would still eliminate Target 1 regardless.

the one who opened the gateway would cease to exist, and so would the gateway proportionate to the power of the balefire. if the balefire continued after the gateway vanished, then anything in the new path of the balefire would run into problems as well. However, the paradoxical nature of the balefire would still eliminate Target 1 regardless.

Don't forget Androl did send balefire through a gateway (at the end of his imprisonment in the BT) and he survived. 

Okay then, here goes. If you were to open a gateway, then I balefired you hard to the face from the other side, what would happen?

The guy opening the gateway would get caught in an infinite loop with the guy balefiring him.  Guy 1 opens gateway, Guy 2 balefires Guy1 trough gateway.. Guy1 ceases to exist and so does the origin of the gateway. Guy1 reappears since he never created a gateway in the first place. Now.. Guy1 creates his gateway...... eh, Balefire is stupid :D

EDIT    GAAH, i got it all wrong. Let me think.   How do we make this a stupid infinite loop, hmmm

EDIT2  Anyone stupid enough to try to balefire himself through a gateway?  =)))

In TGH when Min meets up with Egwene and Elayne at the WT. Egwene looks at Min and see's sadness or reget in her eyes. Later Egwene asks Min about what Min see's about her and she gets brushed off. Did Min know that Egwene was going to die and held it back all through out the story?

the Adventures of Androl and Pevara subplot would suggest that balefire can Travel through a gateway, but if the balefire stream touches gateway weave, presumably the gateway would vanish.

The guy opening the gateway would get caught in an infinite loop with the guy balefiring him. Guy 1 opens gateway, Guy 2 balefires Guy1 trough gateway.. Guy1 ceases to exist and so does the origin of the gateway. Guy1 reappears since he never created a gateway in the first place. Now.. Guy1 creates his gateway...... eh, Balefire is stupid :D

EDIT GAAH, i got it all wrong. Let me think. How do we make this a stupid infinite loop, hmmm

EDIT2 Anyone stupid enough to try to balefire himself through a gateway? =)))

Edit 2 almost made me pee my pants.

In TGH when Min meets up with Egwene and Elayne at the WT. Egwene looks at Min and see's sadness or reget in her eyes. Later Egwene asks Min about what Min see's about her and she gets brushed off. Did Min know that Egwene was going to die and held it back all through out the story?

I don't recall this scene clearly but it might have been due to MIn having seen the vision that she, Elayne, and Aviendha would all love Rand.  When Min first met Rand and Egwene in Baerlon they were essentially engaged.

I don't recall this scene clearly but it might have been due to MIn having seen the vision that she, Elayne, and Aviendha would all love Rand.  When Min first met Rand and Egwene in Baerlon they were essentially engaged.

Either way it certainly didn't have anything to do with Egwene's death.

At first i thought so as well

@pass_the_tabac,
min source of regret had nothing to do with egwene,she told her
that she was there(in the white tower) because she was given no choice in the matter,
it wasn't about egwene's relation with rand nor about her death.
(the great hunt chapter 24).

At first i thought so as well. But Min has no reason to be sad or regretful about being summoned to the White Tower. Irritated and angry maybe. I then thought it might be that she felt bad that she knew Egwene would never be with Rand yet it was clear that Egwene loved him and was pissy about the fact that Rand had met all these girls.

But to me there just seems to be something off about the way she then responds to Egwene a few moments later when Elayne explains what Min can do and Egwene asks her what she see's about her. Its like she has already had the viewing and had been sad of what she saw. "Min took a quick glance" and just mentioned the White flame but brushes the rest off as "I see all sorts of things, I don't know what it means". That is followed by Elayne commenting "She says that a great deal" and previous to it  "I'm not to sure she always tells the truth" Is it that unlikely that the White flame was covered in blood? It just seems unlikely that when she views a character that plays such a huge roll in the future to not see her death as she does with many others.

Anyway just my thoughts.

I think if Min had seen anything ominous about Egwene it would have been mentioned in one of her other POVs at some point.

Pretty much. Look at Min's reaction to the viewing she had of Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne in tGH where she saw them in danger. 

If she had seen death or possible death, it would have been mentioned even if it was in her head. 

Not to mention the fact that she saw Egwene's potential death with the Gawyn viewing and didn't mention anything about previous viewings of death. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why did Verin give a (potentially dangerous) ter'angreal to a novice without supervision? (The TAR ring in TDR)

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=197#32

Maybe similar reasons to why Siuan sent three Accepted hunting some of the most dangerous women alive - a) plot progression and b) it seemed like the best of a set of bad choices.

In relation to b), the White Tower didn't have anyone who could train Egwene in Dreaming or Dreamwalking.  Anaiya was one of the few who believed her, but she didn't have the talent herself, so all she could suggest was looking for evidence that Egwene had had a True Dream.  The only way for Egwene to learn (prior to meeting the Wise Ones, which Verin might not have known about) was to throw her in at the deep end - there was no one capable of teaching her.  Although it does seem surprising that none of the AS had ever tried going to TAR using the ring.

Only Verin knew of the ring, she discovered it accidentally when going through Corienne's writings (sp). It also appeared, at the time, that Verin intentionally held back some notes that may have helped Egwene. 

Archived