DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Simple questions, get simple answers (aMoL version covering the entire series)

Barid Bel Medar

Now I always thought that the Finns just opened Mat up to his own past life memories. So I have always felt that there would be a back story of his past self.

I thought they were just the memories of pretty much every past great general/military leader rather than being Mat's actual past lives.

Q:
Are all of Mat's memories from his past lives?

RJ:
No, Mat's "old" memories are not from his past lives at all. The

"sickness" he got from the Shadar Logoth dagger resulted in holes in

his memory. He found whole stretches of his life that seemed to be

missing. When he passed through the "doorframe"
ter'angreal
in Rhuidean, one of the things he said - not knowing that the rules here

were different than in the other
ter'angreal
he had used - was that

he wanted the holes in his memory filled up, meaning that he wanted to

recover his own memories. In this place, however, it was not a matter

of asking questions and receiving answers, but of striking bargains

for
what you want
. What he received for that particular demand was

memories gathered by the people on that side of the
ter'angreal

memories from many men, all long dead, from many cultures. And since

not everyone passing by has the nerve to journey through a

ter'angreal
to some other world, the memories he receieved were

those of adventurers and soldiers and men of daring.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I always thought that the Finns just opened Mat up to his own past life memories. So I have always felt that there would be a back story of his past self.

I thought they were just the memories of pretty much every past great general/military leader rather than being Mat's actual past lives.

Q: Are all of Mat's memories from his past lives?

RJ: No, Mat's "old" memories are not from his past lives at all. The

missing. When he passed through the "doorframe" ter'angreal in Rhuidean, one of the things he said - not knowing that the rules here

were different than in the other ter'angreal he had used - was that

for what you want. What he received for that particular demand was

memories gathered by the people on that side of the ter'angreal,

ter'angreal to some other world, the memories he receieved were

That is correct although it should be noted there are a couple that pre-date the trip to the Finns. That is where the Mat as Aemon Reborn theories come in.

Oh oh I get to be the first to ask. Ok here is a question though perhaps not a simple one. Why can Rand not channel after the bodyswap, I thought channeling followed the soul and Rand's soul can channel like nobody's business, how come he can no longer do so at the end of the book, and also how come he have none of the negative mental effects of those who have lost the ability to channel? He is just relieved not to have the ability any more and that is it. The only explanation I have for this is that he do not need the ability any longer as he have gotten the ability to affect the pattern directly, like what he do with his pipe, he no longer need to draw on the Power and weave or any of those trappings, he can just affect the pattern with his will and wishes without the go between, like a programmer who suddenly get the ability to control compute code directly with his mind so he no longer have any need of his computer.

The other possible explanation I guess is that it was a gift from the Creator, that he knew that all Rand wanted was to wander around and live a simple life and that he did not want to have the ability to channel, and so he took it away from him harmlessly, I guess the Creator being a God could do that.

So my feelings on this.

Rand has familiarity with the weaving of the pattern, as he did it himself.  Also, the pattern had been distorted terribly during his fight with the DO.  Birgette commented (although I cannot be certain how much time had passed until Rand lit his pipe) that the pattern allowed her to stay longer with Elayne because it had not fully restored order.  I believe, though I cannot refer to my book at the moment, that Rand was riding up Thakandar, where the pattern had been strongly distorted.  I think with all these factors in place, it would be easier for Rand to "will" his pipe to be lit.  

As to how he didn't feel the normal effects of being burned out, I believe that after the ordeal which he passed through, his own thread in the pattern had been altered.  He was was a temporal being existing outside of time.  He "viewed" the weaving of the pattern.  He held the immensity that is saidin, saidar, and the true power, all at once.  He spared the DO.  I think it is a complete relief to be removed from the duty which he was obligated to fill.  I believe it is extremely fitting that he does not suffer from the depression of losing the one power, but revels in its loss.

Ambiguous, yes.  But I believe a proper solution.

I cannot figure out the bodyswap though, if anyone would care to enlighten me.  As of right now, I think Rand and Moridin switched bodies during the time Rand was sealing the DO away.  And when he is walking out of the cave that is the Bore, it starts to collapse, and he walks out blind, carrying a body.  I think Rand is already in Moridin's body at this point, and is carrying his own body.  Thoughts?

I think Rand is already in Moridin's body at this point, and is carrying his own body.  Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, wasn't Rand in Rand's body the one that walked out? And if so, then no, Rand is NOT already in Moridin's body. There is a progressive transfer, as you can see by how Nynaeve complains about "Moridin" becoming stronger and "Rand" becoming weaker/dying.

what was the "chekovs gun" that Brandon mentioned before the book was released?

I think it was Alanna (and more specifically her bond with Rand).

Huh? She bonded Rand in LoC while the gun is shown in TDR 30..40.

Sorry, it's been ages since I've done a re-read and I thought that happened earlier.

Q: Are all of Mat's memories from his past lives?

RJ: No, Mat's "old" memories are not from his past lives at all. The

missing. When he passed through the "doorframe" ter'angreal in Rhuidean, one of the things he said - not knowing that the rules here

were different than in the other ter'angreal he had used - was that

for what you want. What he received for that particular demand was

memories gathered by the people on that side of the ter'angreal,

ter'angreal to some other world, the memories he receieved were

Thank you for this!! That is a huge question answered for me! Kinda bummed I didnt know that sooner, I wouldnt have been anticipating an answer in MoL. Ohh well, I'm satisfied. Thanks again!!

Three questions related to Seanchan and channelling:

1. At what age are girls tested in Seanchan for whether they are damane, sul'dam or just ordinary?  As an aside, are boys tested this way, and killed if they can channel?
  2. At what age do born male channellers start channelling on their own?
  3. How does one remove the collar of an a'dam?  I believe that touching an a'dam causes intense pain in male channellers, so can a collar be removed by channelling, or do you have to physically undo it?

-I believe that girls can begin to develop powers between 14 and 21 years of age. It says it in The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, and I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I am not positive.

-Male channellers generally start a few years after their female counterparts (I believe 18 -26 are the officially listed ages, but again, I am unsure).

-The a'dam should be removed physically with certain areas that you press against (Mat in Ebou Dar with the Sea Folk Windfinder). However, it can be removed by the power, as seen by Nynaeve in TGH. However, considering the inability of the damane to channel or touch their a'dam while wearing the collar, this method and the previous one are each unlikely to be used except by external force. Arangar also proved that the a'dam can be physically removed by a male channeller who is willing to endure the pain, so it is not deadly to a male channeller to remove it. The pain is likely just a warning, although it can be deadly if a man wears the bracelet or the collar while connected to a sul'dam.

Hi, just registered here after finishing the book last night. It was good, but I still have a lot of questions!

1. Was Carlinya's omen ever resolved? I know BS said read and find out, but unless I missed something, it wasn't mentioned at all in the last book. I read one theory of it simply being that Alviarin killed her, but if so I would have thought BS would have said so.

2. Do you guys think that Sarene Nemdahl survived the ordeal? It does not explicitly mentioned her dying in the battle. Perhaps Nynaeve can heal the Compulsion? She was one of my favourite characters. I almost expected her to be the one to kill Graendal. :p

3. What happened to Talene Nimly? Obviously, Darkfriends often lie and claim they want to walk in the Light again, but she seemed fairly sincere. I guess she was turned into an unmentioned Dreadlord? Perhaps one of the many woman Thom killed. 

How does linking between men and women work?  Is at most one more man allowed in the circle than the number of women?  Which gender has to control the flows?  It appears that the maximum possible is a circle of 72; how many men and women would be necessary for such a circle?

How does linking between men and women work?  Is at most one more man allowed in the circle than the number of women?  Which gender has to control the flows?  It appears that the maximum possible is a circle of 72; how many men and women would be necessary for such a circle?

No, there has to be at least one more woman than there are men, other than when just one man and one woman link. When one man and one woman link, the man leads. When it exceeds that, I think that a woman can take control. I think that a man has to lead a circle of 72, but I am not certain...there seem to be contradictions in the books. As for the number of men and women within the 72, I read on wot wiki that apparently you need at least six men, but I don't really understand that number, as I believe you need a single man to expand a circle of 13 women to add 13 more, and so on. But, I imagine that a circle of 72 would not need to include so many more women than men, as long as there was at least one more woman than men. 

Could be wrong but this is what i think is right. For every 13 women you need 1 man so minimum of 6 men. Any gender can control the flows unless their is more men then women in the circle and in that case its men.

No, there has to be at least one more woman than there are men, other than when just one man and one woman link. When one man and one woman link, the man leads. When it exceeds that, I think that a woman can take control. I think that a man has to lead a circle of 72, but I am not certain...there seem to be contradictions in the books. As for the number of men and women within the 72, I read on wot wiki that apparently you need at least six men, but I don't really understand that number, as I believe you need a single man to expand a circle of 13 women to add 13 more, and so on. But, I imagine that a circle of 72 would not need to include so many more women than men, as long as there was at least one more woman than men. 

didnt alviarin not let any more men in her circle because then one of the ashaman would have to lead it?

didnt alviarin not let any more men in her circle because then one of the ashaman would have to lead it?

Before the stedding scene? She didn't want to put all forces into one circle.

They list the rules in the sidebook. I believe that one man is needed to extend the circle by 13, but then it drops down to 8, and then 6 at some point. I don't have a copy of it with me, so I know this sounds a little sketchy, but you need at least 6 men to extend the circle fully to 72, and the number of women you can add for each man drops after the first.

I thought when Logain's Asha'man joined Elayne at Cairhien, there was one more man than woman in the circle, with Androl leading, but maybe that's wrong.

Also, I believe that people can be forced into a circle against their will.  Is this correct?

I thought when Logain's Asha'man joined Elayne at Cairhien, there was one more man than woman in the circle, with Androl leading, but maybe that's wrong.

Also, I believe that people can be forced into a circle against their will.  Is this correct?

No thats only through callandor. Once your in a circle though the leader has to let you leave it.

The numbers in that scene are: 14 women and 13 men, "because there must be more women than men".

Only with a'dam, I suppose. See "involuntary rings" discussions, anyway (I think I've seen something about forcing a channeler into an actual circle in one of those discussions but I'm not sure).

i dont remember the ref in TDR? But in TPOD, when Nynaeve and Elayne teach the windfinders before using the Bowl of the Winds, the Aes Sedai say that "all surviving pages of textbooks say that you cannot force someone into a circle" and elayne wonders what was said in the pages that did not survive. But i dont think we ever saw anyone being forced into a circle, did we? 

Archived