DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My husband wants to join the US Air Force or Navy.....

Jeannaisais

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, no wonder there are so many pushes to get to officer - and probably why its difficult to get there if you start as enlisted? Thanks for all the info and help guys - my husband's family has been in the armed services for several generations whereas in my family....my grandpa got drafted so yeah, all I know about it is what you guys have told me and what I've read online on the websites.

my dad thinks he should've gone Air Force... and in order to move up to officer quicker, you need to have gone to college and finished it... at least that's what my dad said... I hope that if he chooses to join you have fun traveling... :smile:

Jean, one can transition from enlisted to officer in the active Air Force, but its typically a royal pain. Ever harder to do it in the Reserves or Guard whom life and die by thier manning documents (thus tons of competition).

If your hubby wants to go as an Officer and he didn't go to ROTC or a service Academy he'll first takethe AFOQT. Its an aptitude test similar to the SAT (Verbal analogies and quantitative problems). Of course no matter if he wants to go enlisted or officer he'll have to take the ASVAB. The ASVAB test will determine what AFSCs (job specialities) he is eligble to enter. Officer AFSC's require certain scores on the AFOQT, but these are usually pretty nominal.

• 3 weeks later...

He has the name and number of an officer recruiter who is supposed to email him at some point but we've been under a state of emergency due to crazy snow storms for 3 or 4 of the last 7 days....so lots of places have been closed and its just been maddening really. You all should google the kansas city mo snowstorm and see our 20 some odd inches of snow!!

But yes it is still in the works. Hes been working out with me alot and got a book for preparing for the asvab so, one step at a time!

Progress is progress :smile:

That's good though, I'm sure he'll do fine on the ASVAB. I haven't really dealt with OSOs (officer selection officers (sorta redundant :tongue:)) so I can't give you any info as for what to expect.

Perhaps Horn could, I'm on the enlisted side.

ASVAB is pretty basic.. It's not half has hard as the ACT or I'm guessing the SAT either.. at least it wasn't when I took it in high school. We were required to... As long as he's a decent test taker he should do fine

He's an A/B average but has test anxiety so that's the only part I'm worried about....that's why we got a book for it to help him out and be more prepared!

And we should know more by next week when the snow isn't in the way anymore!! Hopefully  he'll be able to meet with them next week actually!

TOTAL SPAM TROLL POST...

first off Id like to say I have no idea at all. 

second this post is made to be humorous so if I offend sorry.

third. Think this about sums it up nicely

Honestly though. Join which ever one you two would rather him join

Thank you for letting spam. I apologize for doing so and feel free to completely ignore this post 

I nearly joined the Air Force myself but in the end decided to pursue a different path. I did a lot of research, spoke with military friends of mine and even met with recruiters from a few other branches. In the end I was left with the feeling that the Air Force was the most appealing as it had great jobs and offered a good lifestyle. 

Well, we are still in the process and it's definitely the path he wants to take so, we shall see what happens? He needs to call the officer recruiter before we get dumped on with snow again (I swear, snowing in march? you've got to be kidding me!!!!!)

I see you've gotten this advice already, but my younger brother is in the Air Force and the AF is the path to go.  Well, depending on what you want of course.  If your husband wants front line dangerous operations then something else, but AF has the best facilities, nicest equipment, etc etc.  

Update: He's working on his application to take the AFOQT in April, has a study book for it, is working out with me, getting letters of recommendations in order as well as his transcripts. So, he's well on his way to going for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jea everything with the military is hurry up and wait. You'll find that out soon enough on your own though :wink: It's pretty much a hassle with everything, so much paperwork and bureaucracy crap to deal with. Don't let me sound discouraging though, the military has definitely put me in a much better position in life than I would've been without it.

Good luck to him though! Hopefully all that hard work and preparation will pay off.

Horn - I'm in education...if you think we don't have to deal with hurry up and wait...well, there are definitely degrees to every area but seriously. There's the "Hurry up with those tests already...their due to the state in two days" oh but you won't get your kids' results for....6 months or so? Ridiculous I think *sigh*

Although, hubby and I may be in a pickle if I get a job offer and he gets stationed somewhere other than where I'm certified to teach *sighs*

Archived