DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What things would make you REALLY ANGRY - if they happened in AMOL?

The Fisher King

I would be disappointed if the entire premise of the book, a wheel of time, is violated and this is somehow special by Rand somehow breaking the wheel and making time go linear.

If Rand doesn't do something truly epic awesome in somehow twisting reality by his ta'veren-ness to counter the DO.

If the DO ends up being a disappointing weakling idiot who is easily PWNED like many of the Forsaken.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't looking good.

So far roughly half the readers will be disappointed if time stays circular and half will be disappointed if it doesn't.

I predict that lots of readers are going to be annoyed at the ending of the book :)

Yeah, maybe disappionted is too strong a word, but I don't feel that you should write a book with the title "Wheel of Time", have the entire books talk about the Wheel and how everything is circular, and then have the ending be "LOL, JK guys, it's not a wheel of time at all!!!"

I started off (many years ago), thinking that the end would be linear time - not that it always was linear time, but this story was told because it marks the beginning of linear time, but I'm now mostly with you. I can live with either end so long as it's well written and fits in the story tho

Well, I am already mad because the Seanchan will survive, I will be slightly less annoyed if the damane are freed, but I want vengeance, not just liberation.

I will be mad if Rand is turned to the Shadow at all, I don't care how.

I will be mad if Min dies

I don't care if Rand lives on in TAR, but I agree, he needs to die.

I Moiraine to end up happy or I will be mad, I want her to be Amyrlin after Egwene dies (which better happen or I will be mad)

I do not want the One Power to disappear, I guess that would solve the damane issue, but I don't want this to turn into our world or whatever (can't really unless everyone dies and 200 million years of dinosaurs start up).

I know there are literally hundreds of billions of us praying for it, but...I'd bet my house that there is NO WAY Egwene dies.

In fact, Im betting that NONE of The Big Six bite it. There are plenty of other series that kill main characters if that is what you like (Melanie Rawn and Martin are just two) but...I have never been able to understand why so many people have not been able to understand that Jordan is just not THAT kind of writer and it is just NOT his thing.

Fish

Jeez, there's a lot of blood lust here.

I for one hope all the major characters live. I want to see Rand live because at this point it would be a surprise.

I want to see Lan, Moiraine, Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Thom, Tam, Mat, and Perrin Live.

Basically I want to see all the characters that where introduced in Eye of the World Live. There others that would be sad to see die, but it would be crazy and terrible if no one died.

Perhapse I am to sentimental when it comes to these characters but that is what I hope.

Back on topic.

I will be upset if the Seanchan do not change.

If there is not some more reconciliation between male/female channelers.

If the Reunion between Lan/Moirane/Rand/Nynaeve is not significant.

I will be be unhappy if Malkier is not resurrected

If One of the Forsaken Survive

If the Myrdrdraal some how drop dead once the dark one is sealed because they have no souls (A LA Avengers where once they closed the dimensional gate all the bad guys dropped dead)

Cant stress how annoyed I would be at the one above. So it deserves another Mention.

That's it for now.

Things that will upset me:

1. If there is no Lan/Moraine reunion
  2. If Egwene is not humbled majorly, not just an I screwed up, but realizing she either did ruin something or almost did and it gets the stick out of her ass
  3. If Rand doesn't take Moraine with him to SG
  4. If Mat doesn't turn out to be completely awesome as a General for the armies since he's been built up so much to this
  5. If Lan dies.

- It's not clear to all the AS and Egwene that Rand deftly manipulated her into doing exactly what he wanted.

Deftly? Egwene literally read like someone with split personality disorder, making statements and then contradicting herself seconds later. Criss crossing all over the place with zero continuity in her thought process. Such a strangely written scene(which has seemingly been retconned already) and it was a classic example of  one character getting dumbed down for the benefit of another when in they come in conflict these last two books. Really wish just once something could be resolved without falling back on that.

- And following on from that, she dances away from publicly having to admit Rand was right and she was wrong about the Seals.

She tried to discuss it with Rand during that meeting and he refused. Based on the circumstances he left her with no other options but to question his decision. Regardless not sure how there was a right or wrong here given the fact that they haven't even made it to FoM decision yet. She ended up doing research before they could discuss things and agrees the seals do need to be broken but it must happen at the proper time. Guess we will have to see how it play out...

If I have to read a dual/swordplay scene worded as such that a character "Fell into <insert swordform>"

In a series where duals and skill at the highest level of swordplay has been alluded to a flowing dance of death....How're you gonna hit the final act, and derp it up with the phrasing such and such a character, who's established as a blademaster/once beat a blademaster/what have you, is portrayed as "Falling into" something with regard to swordplay.

*Sideshow Bob muttering

Tried not to look at anyone else's response, so I apologize if I repeat stuff said earlier.

1. Deaths that would make me mad. Moiraine, Min, Egwene, Nynaeve, Siuan, Loial. I think I could be mad (Min).

2. If we don't get something from Rand about how in the world AS functioned before the breaking. How were they raised and tested? Why no oaths? I have a feeling I'll be mad here as well.

3. The Moiraine/Rand re-union takes a long time. Ditto for other good Moiraine reunions (Siuan, Cadsuane, Perrin).

4. Someone doesn't at least try to have Damer try to heal Moiraine, Siuan, and Leane. I don't care if it works or not (though I'd like it to on Siuan and Leane at least).

5. If the Ogier and the info the Traveling People had (Tell the Dragon Reborn......) doesn't turn out to be important somehow.

6. If we don't find out why it was so critical that the Shadow remove Nynaeve and Egwene to the other side of the world. Remember that, all the way back in TGH?

7. If all of Min's viewings and Egwene's dreams don't get resolved in a way that makes some sense (cough, cough, no more Carlinya's). I think I'll be mad here. Fortellings, I don't really care about.

8. If the book ends with the last battle. Like Return to the King, I want there to be afters. The story of how the surviving characters get on with life AFTER the big battle is over should be handled well. I'll be angry if it ends with the battle and then is essentially over.

9. If we don't find out that Demandred has been doing something really cool, and evil, for a while now (since LoC).

10. If we don't get some attempt/fruition to turning someone from the Dark back to the Light. Could be a Forsaken switching sides, or an attempt to bring a 13x13 victim back.

11. If we don't find out what Moiraine asked and got in the land of the Finns. Ditto Rand.

12. If Tuon doesn't get some degree of  come-uppitance regarding channelers.

13. If the DO wins.

I'm willing to roll with just about anything RJ cooked up or BS embellishes outside of anything particularly absurd (Ewoks or Steve Guttenberg showing up or something). The only thing within the realm of possibility that will truly raise my ire is an extended Trakand sub-plot. I'm not even out for their blood. Let them live. Just spare me the details of their reunion, heroics, political machinations, dinner plans, bathing plans, etc. I understand wrapping things up with their involvement involved, but don't subject me to multiple Elayne, Morgase, or Gawyn PoVs. 

You seem to be misunderstanding how the rules work skalors. You are free to comment in that manner in any thread as long as its pertinent. You just can't derail things like your extra post starts to do.

There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding the restriction on the Brandon debate.

We are preventing threads from being high-jacked and turning into a Brandon squabble. We are not purging every single post of any comments on Brandon's work if it is relevant to the topic.

If that leads to the thread being high-jacked, then action will be taken. But it is absurd to think that every single comment on Brandon must be restricted to the appropriate threads.

7. If all of Min's viewings and Egwene's dreams don't get resolved in a way that makes some sense (cough, cough, no more Carlinya's). I think I'll be mad here. Fortellings, I don't really care about.

I don't think the Carlinya viewing resolved all that badly. Just not in the way most people  expected. I think she was killed by Alviarin and the tatoo Min saw is Shaidar Haran's mark on Alviarin. RJ equated it to a tatoo.

11. If we don't find out what Moiraine asked and got in the land of the Finns. Ditto Rand.

Prepare for some disappointment :smile:

Interview: Apr, 2012

Gold Coast SupaNova - Eleanor Chandler-Temple (Paraphrased)

Eleanor

Will all the questions Rand and Moiraine asked of the Aelfinn be revealed in A Memory of Light?

Brandon Sanderson

No.(Will we know more?) They will be partially revealed.

ELEANOR

This one I can't remember too well from the notes taken, so the wording may be a little off. He looked certain and a little cheerful on this one.

12. If Tuon doesn't get some degree of  come-uppitance regarding channelers.

amen to that.

Fish, you may be right, but I hope not.  It seems to me that they spent a lot of time working on the battles from the twitter/facebook postings around that time because they knew RJ has a innate knack for the battles that BS  doesn't.  But I think/hope they did spend a lot of time on it that they could be good as well.

1. If Egwene does anything to hurt Rand

2. Rand kneels to Tuon (or worse, as part of Tuon agreeing to the Dragon's Peace: "Pass me his bond.")

3. DO dies / time becomes linear

3a. Extra angry points if it's all thanks to Fain.

4. Some of Rand's close allies don't betray him (they can't all be good guys)

5. Remaining Forsaken go out with a whimper

6. More of a thing that I'll be angry if it DOESN'T happen: "I win again, Lews Therin." At least one time!

BBM and driedraspberry nailed it for me, but I'll add or underline some things:

- if Rand bows to Tuon unwillingly or in a way that will make her "ha, and who's the boss now?" (I mean I can bear it if it's something like Rand's visit to the WT, when he controlled the situation);

- if Tuon's attitude and the Seanchan society doesn't change;

- if AS in general keep being bossy towards the Asha'man and unwilling to cooperate with them;if the Asha'man aren't respected as they should be and if they are made to swear on the Oath Rod;

- if all the precious reunions are not perfectly written;

- the hottest issues: if Rand uses TP; if anybody slays the DO; if Fain becomes a buffer or replaces the DO; if time becomes linear; if the OP disappeares; if the Seanchan rule after the TG;

- if Rand lives on in Moridin's body;

- if either the body-swap or ripping Rand out of TAR takes place, although I'm leaning toward the latter - I'm just bored with it and hungry for new things; the same with Demandred/Roedran - I prefer Mik's theory...;

- ... well, if Atha'an Miere remain so lame;

- if Rand leaves with Min and leads a random life in seclusion;

- if Egwene keeps acting behind Rand's back and gather allies - especially Tuon! Oh, how I fear it - against him;

- if Elayne and Aviendha don't support Rand with all their hearts, thinking how woolheaded or insane he is, and prefer to side with Egwene instead;

- if Rand still cannot kill women;

- if there's no vital conversation between Aviendha and Rand about the Aiel, and she doesn't simply read Callandor (but what about Min's research? She must finally find something as well, how to combine it?);

- if Perrin doesn't lead wolves and they are just randomly scattered instead;

- if it leaves me unable to tell what the Eye's purpose actually was!

My two cents:

1. I wouldn't be that angry, but just amazed if the body swap thing actually happens. I thought that was just a wack theory.

2. Mat is not a recognized Great General yet by the majority of Randland, just those in the inner circle of warfare. I don't think he will be the "leader" of the massive army, because he doesnt want to be the leader. He will probably lead something somewhere, but if its the massive army, not by his decision. Mat's big time in the sun was FoH. This time around he's there to be part of the Tripod.

3. At the end - we get: flicker flicker "I win again Lews Therin!"

4. Olver is Gaidal

5. Taim is Demandred

6. Bashere is a DF.

7. Rand is not declared biggest badass Male Channeler of all...Logain and Taim admit they are lower than him and kiss his feet. Well something like that better happen, or at least people better recognize and respect. I am the Master - Sho nuff. bow before me Bruce Leroy.

Taim can be sho nuff and Rand is Bruce Leroy and starts electricuting him...haha.

I will be extremely disappointed if Perrin doesn't die. The color yellow reminds me of Gatsby and it isn't a very pleasant color to associate with in WoT. The whitecloaks have a yellow sunburst, if you are injured you need a yellow AS, and the flowers Nynaeve saw in the shops (twice? Did she really fall for that twice!?) we're also yellow. And of course, Perrin has yellow eyes, so I'd be shocked if he survives TG. He's my favorite character, but he has a crown now and if he were to die without an heir, it would be a broken crown...

Hmmm, another thought:

I will be disappointed if Mat doesn't realize the kind of danger he represents to Randland. That is, I hope he realizes that he can't allow his Great Captain abilities to be turned against Randland. Maybe that is how the Outrigger novels (which will never be written) get a nod in AMoL...

What is it with all the hate of Rand not getting to live after the last battle?  It is so cliche, such a cheap way out because it is so hard to write a good happily ever after.  Kill the main character in a blaze of glory...easy.  Do it and revert to a life after...truly masterful writing and storytelling.  (LOTR pulled it off with Frodo going with the Elves and passing the torch to Sam)  I'd buy Tam walking with Rand's son down the quarry road towards Emond's Field as an epilogue if Rand must die but I'm not wanting to see him dead and gone.

Don't want to see time remaining in a wheel with everyone slave to live and relive their mistakes over and over.  I want to see linear...

I have to agree with a lot that was said already on it being too late for new characters, new items of power unless it's what the girls came upon in the tower storeroom for their "need" questing to find something to help Rand.

I don't think all our 2nd line characters needing to die because they incessantly bathe or are foolish women or headstrong or annoying women or men needs to happen.  But there is always a price that must be paid, and at least Rand is meeting to discuss the price that will be paid for his life.  Thank the Finns for the lesson via Mat, negotiate the price first for the bargain...

I just really don't want to see anything new such as the new terms for killing fades that popped up last book.  Really didn't feel like RJ and really wasn't the time or place after all these books with all the borderland characters and then here you go, something not even hinted at.  Just finish the story.

• 11 months later...

Ive seen lots of threads about what we theorize MAY happen in AMOL and lots of topics about what we HOPE happens in AMOL...But, what would really just P!SS YOU *OFF* if it comes to pass in AMOL?

For me, if Nakomi turns out to be imaginary I will be ticked.

If Rand ''grows himself'' a new hand, I will groan out loud at the utter cheesiness of it.

Id Moiraine gets diminished or disrespected in any way in her return.

One big thins I will be mad - and I mean REALLY MAD - if it does NOT happen is if Mat does NOT ''General'' much of the Last Battle. I'm most worried about this because it is setting up for Mat to be away from most of the main action and that would be beyond disapointing to me.

Oh, also - I'll be Furious Frank if Moiraine and Rand's and Moiraine and Lan's reunion are not all they better be!

Fish

HOLE E MOLEY...LOL...Here we are a year later and I review my own post above where I list the things (pre-release for AMOL) that I said would upset me and Im in shock over how things tunred out, lol. Lets look at these, shall we?

Nakomi turn out to be ''imaginary''?? - Well...PRETTY MUCH happened!!!

If Rand grows himself a new hand!? - He did me one better!!! Grew himself a whole new BODY!!!

Moiraine being disrespected in her Big Return?? - Uhhh...WHAT ''Big Return'' lol???...I could spend YEARS on THIS one!!! :(

Mat not getting to ''General'' too much in the Last Battle...Sadly, I got screwed on this one too...speaking of screw...that was the whole problem...Mat spent the whole Last Battle engaged in Garden-Sexing Tuon and making soul-crushingly bad jokes with Rand!!!

Moiraine and Lan's...and...Moiraine and Rand's reunions not being as special and magical and powerful as they needed to be???!!!...I think we ALL know what happened with THIS item on my list :(

Spooky, ain't it?? More than a little eerie how much I ended up pulling a Nostrildamus...I have a whole new sympathy for Masema now: prophetin' ain't easy    :(

- Fish

Archived