DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What things would make you REALLY ANGRY - if they happened in AMOL?

The Fisher King

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize so many people hated Egwene...  I was damn torqued at her death, though she died in character going out with her whole heart.

Taim's death/explanation really torqued me off. Not only was there less Be'lal in him than I thought (I still think the DO could have recycled the man, and still could have touched Taim with him) his ending was pathetic. He becomes a half-assed Chosen, and then dies at Egwene's hands. This didn't make Egwene more hoo-ah; we already knew she was buff, since she took down Mesaana. Taim was just too pathetic, though the part were he was facing Androl was cool. I wanted a lot of the stuff on your list, too Mr Fisher King, though I can see why the only reunion we had was between Rand and Moiraine. What really torqued me off, though was the death of Suian. I wanted Brynne and her to have a long happy life. Still, to quote Rygel, "It's a death worthy of a Dominar." 

What I feel about the supposed body swap s better left unsaid. At least all the great captains got out of Mat's way. (I actually hadn't thought that through, he admits with a blush.) 

I think most hated her because Egwene from the start acted like a spoiled brat that knew everything and she never grew, I was glad when Rand finally told her to stop acting like a spoiled child.  She would never admit she was wrong as Rand commented on that in the Shadow rising on how when you pointed out how she was wrong she would turn your side around so it seemed like she was right and you were wrong.  Like many of the females in the books she just rushed into danger time and again usually getting captured and never seeming to ever learn her lesson.  Ny at least grew and matured as the series went on, but Egwene just like Elayne never did.  I think there was too much attempt to make her some super powerful Aes Sedai, killing Mesaana, Taim, and all the sharan channlers just seemed blahhh to me.. 

Yes Taim was a huge disappointment.  I really was looking forward to him showing some awesomeness, and in the end just seemed pathetic.  I didn't mind that there was no Logain vs Taim showdown, but Taim just seemed like a fool in the end.  Total waste of a good character imo.

I think most hated her because Egwene from the start acted like a spoiled brat that knew everything and she never grew, I was glad when Rand finally told her to stop acting like a spoiled child.  She would never admit she was wrong as Rand commented on that in the Shadow rising on how when you pointed out how she was wrong she would turn your side around so it seemed like she was right and you were wrong.  Like many of the females in the books she just rushed into danger time and again usually getting captured and never seeming to ever learn her lesson.  Ny at least grew and matured as the series went on, but Egwene just like Elayne never did.  I think there was too much attempt to make her some super powerful Aes Sedai, killing Mesaana, Taim, and all the sharan channlers just seemed blahhh to me.. 

Yes Taim was a huge disappointment.  I really was looking forward to him showing some awesomeness, and in the end just seemed pathetic.  I didn't mind that there was no Logain vs Taim showdown, but Taim just seemed like a fool in the end.  Total waste of a good character imo.

Yes, it was a waste. I saw Egwene as frustrating, but I saw all the characters as frustrating; they never talked with each other, only to each other. They were all misdirected heroes and heroines completely incapable of honest self-analysis and reflection. They never told each other what they thought, and every pov shows miscommunication and misassumption with every decision. The girls were a bit more prone to it with their "be careful-I-am-always-careful" attitudes, but Rand Perrin and Mat were just as prone to it, if less obviously, and they had good reasons for their silences: didn't want everyone to know that they were insane/insane-like with their past memories/past selves/ past wolves in their various heads. I suppose I focused on the Aiel. They refused to understand Rand, but the Maidens lectured him once, and boom, suddenly he understands what it means to be an Aiel completely. That's the way they acted.

I think most hated her because Egwene from the start acted like a spoiled brat that knew everything and she never grew, I was glad when Rand finally told her to stop acting like a spoiled child.

So were you also glad when Moiraine told them both to stop acting like spoiled children?

She would never admit she was wrong as Rand commented on that in the Shadow rising on how when you pointed out how she was wrong she would turn your side around so it seemed like she was right and you were wrong.

This is quite simply not true. We see her admit mistakes and show introspection throughout the series. One example of many:

TGS

Had she fallen into the same trap as Siuan? It was a danger. She had been trained by Siuan, after all. If Egwene had explained in more detail how well her work in the White Tower was going, would the others have stayed their hands?

It was a difficult line to walk. There were many secrets that an Amyrlin had to hold. To be transparent would be to lose her edge of authority. But with Siuan herself, Egwene should have been more forthcoming. The woman was too accustomed to taking action on her own. The way she had kept that dream ter'angreal against the Hall's knowledge and wishes was an indication of that. Yet Egwene had approved of that, unconsciously encouraging Siuan to defy authority.

Yes, Egwene had made mistakes. She could not lay all the blame on Siuan, Bryne and Gawyn. She had likely made other mistakes as well; she would need to look at her own actions in more detail later.

It's strange how often people seem to take their dislike of the character and allow it to blind them to many of the things that actually happened in the story. She went through a huge amount of character growth throughout the series.

Archived