DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the book release be moved up if all preview content released two and a bit months before book release?!?

donk

Now the preview material has all been released two and a half months before the book is set for publication does anybody think there will be a move to get this out and catch the Christmas market?

I read somewhere that there is no more preview material due and January is a long way away to maintain a 'buzz' from the preview stuff, if it really is a January release then TOR marketing needs to be fired as it would have made more sense to do Chapter 1 in November and Chapter 2 in December with a 1 month countdown to keep people talking. I bet we see this at the end of November. Anyone else got any thoughts/inside knowledge?

Unless of course they are lying and we will get more preview stuff:)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the preview material has all been released two and a half months before the book is set for publication does anybody think there will be a move to get this out and catch the Christmas market?

No Peter has made it clear that the date will not be changed. Also you need to understand in the publishing industry books need a September-Nov release to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season. If a book is not going to be ready in time it is pushed to January to take advantage of giftcards and post holiday sales.

Suttree, all that aside, something weird is going on here, there's no doubt about it. Why were we given chapter 1 a week after the prologue?

I suspect that by Jan 8th things will make more sense than they currently do. But yes, I find it hard to suggest Peter was mistaken (on either the release date or the existence of further preview material).

Its rare for a publisher to release early, as for releasing a chapter or two out of 50+... well thats just the equivalent of a 2 minute movie trailer, just because they release that early doesnt mean they will let people see the movie at the cinema earlier...

Publishers play it safe, they usually like to have the completed manuscript 6 months before they release it in the shops if i remember correctly, so if they had it in March/April they'd aim for a september/October release for the christmas market, any later and they go for January.

Suttree, all that aside, something weird is going on here, there's no doubt about it. Why were we given chapter 1 a week after the prologue?

Not that everything adds up with all preview material being released more than two months prior the book release, but the above was clearly done to drive prologue sales.

I suspect that by Jan 8th things will make more sense than they currently do. But yes, I find it hard to suggest Peter was mistaken (on either the release date or the existence of further preview material).

for some reason, i tend to think that it is pretty weird, now Suttree I do agree with your reasoning re : the sales and release times, its just weird we are given so much stuff 2 months before as Yoni mentioned.

I wouldnt be surprised that they make an announcement re: the book is coming out sooner than expected maybe in Dec or even end of Nov, though I wont hold my breath haha

Its rare for a publisher to release early, as for releasing a chapter or two out of 50+... well thats just the equivalent of a 2 minute movie trailer, just because they release that early doesnt mean they will let people see the movie at the cinema earlier...

Publishers play it safe, they usually like to have the completed manuscript 6 months before they release it in the shops if i remember correctly, so if they had it in March/April they'd aim for a september/October release for the christmas market, any later and they go for January.

Just to clarify, I was aiming at the fact that the schedule for these excerpts differs from what we had with previous releases. For example, for the last couple of books:

Tears from Steel - Sep 5

What the Storm Means - Sep 17

The Nature of Pain - Sep 24

The Gathering Storm - Oct 27

Seven-Striped Lass - Sep 16 (great hunt ended)

Distinction - Sep 21

Apples First - Oct 1

Questions of Leadership - Oct 18

Towers of Midnight - Nov 2

(if someone could fill in the TGS great hunt, I'd appreciate it)

I'm hoping...... News on Tor.com Early:

Early Release of AMOL. Due to overwhelming demand, the book is now available for sale as of 11/23/12

In other news:

Man is trampled in book store due to AMOL.

author is attacked by rabid fans over 'mistakes' in final book.

Magic appears to be real, quote 'OMG I discovered channeling'

the early release, in my opinion, was caused by an internal leak of the chapters anyway. maybe they will give us another chapter come december.

For the prologue, it wasn't a matter of opinion. The distributer (Google Books Canada) :

a) Sold the prologue as soon as they got it (two weeks early) instead of putting a strict release date (an error on their part-minor fail)

b) Didn't protect the content of the ebook from their own search engine (HUGE FAIL)!

As for the other content, nothing was spoiled. Tor decided to release Chapter 1 and 2. So there was no "early release". They released it when THEY wanted to. And for some reason they happened to want to release that material very early. As to why, I don't know.

Rumour has it nothing new will be released before Jan 8th.

The offical line from Peter and AFAIK, Tor and Team Jordan is that there will be no new content pre-released, and that the release date is not going to be changed.

Of course, that could very well change, but for now, that is the official word.

Edit: Change is, however, unlikely, but strange things have happened, so it is possible. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for an early release or any other material.

damnit Barid!!! Don't Pi** on my parade with common sense:)

I want it for xmas:) Pretty Please Team Jordan/TOR go on you know you want to!

Also, in all seriousness isn't there a significant date just days away from the Jan 8th release date that would have made a whole load of more sense to release on? 25 year anniversary or some such? I am sure I read something along those lines. That is a clue I think to an early shizz in November.

I just wish I could channel Devil Wears Prada and demand Anne Hathaway to get me the manuscript.

Sadly it appears it is not to be. After 20 years I guess I can wait until January, unless the Mayan conspiracy end of world theorists are right afterall! then we are ALL fricked 'cept Jason of course and probably Leigh.

Any significant date would have to be a Tuesday (for Bestseller list purposes, mainly the NY Times Bestseller list).

The big box stores in the US (Barnes&Nobles, Books-A-Million) and in Canada(Chapters Indigo) will have them by Wednesday Jan 2nd at the latest. Around 94% of them won't sell it early. Some will. Hudson News(US) have often been the laxest at respecting the release dates (anybody who books a flight between Jan 2nd and 7th is likely to get it at their airport location). Some of the independent stores will get their copies later (maybe Friday Jan 4th) but will often be willing to sell the book right away. Guaranteed that someone on the boards will have a copy by the day after Boxing Day (Dec 27th) at the lastest.

And we will collectively be guilty of coveting thy (digital) neighbor's book.

If anyone lives in the SF Bay Area and wants to know an awesome indie store that is on the lax side with dates just pm me. Generally get books 3-5 days before the release date.

There'll be a thread for that in a month (in the mold of):

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/52567-found-a-copy-of-towers-of-midnight-early/

No need to start just yet...

Also you need to understand in the publishing industry books need a September-Nov release to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season. If a book is not going to be ready in time it is pushed to January to take advantage of giftcards and post holiday sales.

this is exactly whats wrong with the publishing industry. if they were to release 2 weeks earlier on say dec. 20 they could push it to amazon for a guaranteed pre-christmas delivery. Just the announcing of the release date would lock in the what do you want for christmas pre-orders. and that, of course, doesn't even begin to touch what they could have done with a digital release.

but that's not how the publishing industry works. they've never had to deal with the business on anything but their own terms and so they fight it tooth and nail, but guaranteed they will be surprised/hurt/disappointed that there are so many pirate copies around by feb.

this is exactly whats wrong with the publishing industry.

Well, in all fairness, from what I gather their bread and butter is actually walk-ins from stores across the US. Internet sales are only a small part of that. From that perspective, stores absolutely have to get the book by early-November to get them on display in time. Now, electronic books have grown in sales-share to about 40%, and in those they might actually see an increase with a mid-December release, but 40% is still not enough. This brings us to the next point:

guaranteed they will be surprised/hurt/disappointed that there are so many pirate copies around by feb.

I agree with you there. There are no good reasons left not to release the electronic version simultaneously. The question becomes how many of those people would buy a legit copy come April, and I tend to think that number won't be as high as how many would've purchased an electronic copy on release day, but perhaps people who really wanted the ebook and decided to also purchase the hardcover (i.e., double orders) will make up the difference?

Until ebooks are counted with hard copy sales on best seller lists there is plenty of reason to delay ebook releases

Which is why I retracted my criticism about the delay with ToM. However, nowadays NYT displays the combined HC-ebook list on top, and you have to be looking for it in order to find the HC-only list (or even know that it's still there). It appears not to be a valid concern any longer.

stores absolutely have to get the book by early-November to get them on display in time.

not true. i worked in retail from entry level to managing 300k a week in sales before moving to distribution. they could have them from the press to the shelves in 3 days if they pushed and a week being lazy. maybe the hold up is from pre-print, i don't know, but it's not the impression i get. this is an industry that has always set the pace of its own business and done things just because that's how it has always been done. maybe it's just me, but i resent that and enjoy my ability to say so in a bunch of places.

Until ebooks are counted with hard copy sales on best seller lists there is plenty of reason to delay ebook releases, forcing everyone onto the same lists gets your a better number which drives more sales.

yes, but again this is just failure to understand their market. this is the twelth thirteenth fourteenth book in a series, are they expecting people who see it on the "bestseller list" to think that's a good place to start reading?

Archived