DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuanes Ter angreal

mwayneknight

Im re-reading KOD,( I keep picking things up on this re-read), and in the chapter A Cold Medallion with Mat, when he walks into the aes sedia and the Der suldam arguing, they try to channel against him and of course it fails.Mistress Anan said something very interesting, that Cadsuane supposedly had one of those types of ter angreals..

In the books has anyone every tried to directly channel against her? I cant seem to remember if anyone actually has. And what does this mean do you tihnk if she does have one?

Thanks

I think theres another thread about this - maybe about the paralis net or something.

But iMO - i personally think that foxhead ter version that Cads has - either a dove or a birdie something, is what makes her so arrogant. Basically she knows she has some protection so she flaunts her invulnerability...

If she didnt have it, Im pretty sure she won't be half as %itchy to Rand and the boys. Mat has one and he doesnt flaunt it all the time...well maybe he does.

Im re-reading KOD,( I keep picking things up on this re-read), and in the chapter A Cold Medallion with Mat, when he walks into the aes sedia and the Der suldam arguing, they try to channel against him and of course it fails.Mistress Anan said something very interesting, that Cadsuane supposedly had one of those types of ter angreals..

In the books has anyone every tried to directly channel against her? I cant seem to remember if anyone actually has. And what does this mean do you tihnk if she does have one?

Thanks

Yes, Cads device is a paralis-net. It was made during the breaking and is a combination of OP items made during the breaking, same as the jewelry Nyn found in Ebou Dar..

CoT

More interesting, more disturbing, was the jewelry Nynaeve wore, a long gold necklace and slim gold belt, with matching bracelets and finger rings, the gaudy red and green and blue gems that studded them clashing with her yellow-slashed dress. And she wore that peculiar piece as well, on her left hand, golden rings attached to a golden bracelet by flat chains. That was an angreal, much stronger than Cadsuane’s shrike hair ornament. The others were much like her own decorations, too, ter’angreal and plainly made at the same time, during the Breaking of the World, when an Aes Sedai might find many hands turned against her, most espe­cially those of men who could channel.

We also know it also deflects(exactly like Mat's medallion per RJ) and disrupts weaves from a distance from the scene where Semi's Tuon disguise ripples. It has a well and there are a few items that we don't know the use of. Cads admits it has played a large role in her life along with the lessons she learned from Norla the wilder.

"A pity she herself had not come to the shawl fifty years later than she had... But fifty years would have meant that Norla died in her little house in the Black Hills before Cadsuane Melaidhrin ever went to the White Tower. That would have altered a great deal of history. For one thing, it would have been unlikely that she would be in anything approaching her present circumstances." [COT: 23, Ornaments, 534]

She apparently was earning the ornaments through lessons...

CoT

She could not recall the last time she had let shock reach her face. It might have been all those years ago, in the Black Hills, when she began earning the ornaments she now wore.

Joeron is right about much of her confidence coming from learning how to use the different functions in combination over the years. There isn't much that could stop her with those items. It's why she is so unconcerned when Rand comes to her rooms acting like a child and showing off with power...

TPoD

Dashiva gave a jerk as if coming back to himself, then seized the Source. The wide door, carved in vertical lines, swung open with a bang on a flow of Air. The other three took hold of saidinand followed Dashiva in, faces grim.

"The Dragon Reborn," Dashiva’s voice sounded loud, magnified slightly by the Power, "the King of Illian, the Lord of the Morning, comes to see the woman, Cadsuane Melaidhrin."

Rand stepped in, standing tall. He did not recognize the other weave Dashiva had created, but the air seemed to hum with menace, a sense of something inexorable approaching, drawing ever nearer.

"I sent for you, Cadsuane," Rand said. He did not use weaves. His voice was hard and flat enough without aid.

The Green sister he remembered sat beside a small table with an embroidery hoop in her hands, an opened basket on the polished tabletop spilling out skeins of bright thread from some of its many compartments. She was exactly as he remembered. That strong face topped by an iron-gray bun decorated with small dangling golden fish and birds, stars and moons. Those dark eyes, seeming almost black in her fair face. Cool, considering eyes. Lews Therin gave a wail and fled at the sight of her.

"Well," she said, setting the embroidery hoop on the table, "I must say I’ve seen better without paying. With all I’ve been hearing about you, boy, the least I expected was peals of thunder, trumpets in the heavens, flashing lights in the sky." Calmly, she regarded the five stone-faced men who could channel, which should have been enough to make any Aes Sedai flinch. Calmly, she regarded the Dragon Reborn. "I hope one of you is at least going to juggle," she said. "Or eat fire? I’ve always enjoyed watching gleemen eat fire."

Flinn barked a laugh before catching himself, and even then raked a hand through his fringe of hair and seemed to be struggling with amusement. Morr and Hopwil exchanged looks both puzzled and more than a little outraged.

Just a classic scene.

I constructed a list of Cadsuane and Nynaeve's ter'angreal, their descriptions and their uses, where known. It's here, if your interested: http://www.dragonmou...’s-ter’angreal/

Edit: Haha, Yoni on the ball.

Sutt, that was a lot of work, kudos. But since Luckers has already made a summery, isn't it easier to link to it? :smile:

Lol...come on guys I'm at work. Of course I'm going to try and kill some time! :tongue: Having said that can't believe I spaced on that link.

I suspect Cadsuane's ter'angreal have an interesting role to play in AMOL. She still has to teach all the Asha'man something none of them will like according to Min's viewing. My guess is that it will be some lesson on the limitations of the OP involving her ter'angreal.

Random thought: If Lews Therin wore the first male version of a paralis-net, they couldn't have been invented during the Breaking of the World for the purpose Cadsuane thinks.

This brings up the point that Lanfear was shocked by Alivia's ter'angreal that stopped the weaves. If that was a standard part of a paralis-net, and LTT had one, it would stand to reason that Lanfear would know about them, and probably had one in the AoL.

Random thought: If Lews Therin wore the first male version of a paralis-net, they couldn't have been invented during the Breaking of the World for the purpose Cadsuane thinks.

We know it was breaking era device...

Robert Jordan

Cadsuane’s ter’angreal was made during the Breaking of the World, at a time when men and women no longer linked, or at least very rarely, since male channelers were going mad at a rate of knots.

They had paralis-net's in the AoL but they served different functions. Items like Mat's foxhead didn't exist in the AoL as evidenced by Lanfear's shock when she was fighting Alivia...

WH

Just as it reached the woman, almost close enough to singe her garments, the web of Fire unraveled. The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that.

edit: Whizbang beat me...

This brings up the point that Lanfear was shocked by Alivia's ter'angreal that stopped the weaves. If that was a standard part of a paralis-net, and LTT had one, it would stand to reason that Lanfear would know about them, and probably had one in the AoL.

But she still would be shocked that one of these "children" would be in possession of such a ter'angreal and know how to use it.

But she still would be shocked that one of these "children" would be in possession of such a ter'angreal and know how to use it.

As quoted above, "The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that."

LTT's probably had ter'angreal meant for detecting/aiding in fighting shadowspawn. The well would also be likely on his. Rand/LTT are strong with fire/earth more then the other 3 (but still strong) so maybe items to aid with spirit/air/water. That would make sense to me since LTT was a planner. He would want to have items to aid him in what he needed. Rand does the same. Always wanting a boost to his power that isn't Callandor so he is stronger then the Forsaken. It always seemed like he knew the Forsaken would match him in strength or close enough.

Thanks

We see this when Rand goes to meet with the Daughter of the Nine Moons and the Ter'angreal breaks Semirhague's mirror of mists weave. It was either Nynaeve's or Cad's that disrupted it. Both have one that do this as did most Paralis nets made...post-breaking iirc?

Thanks

We see this when Rand goes to meet with the Daughter of the Nine Moons and the Ter'angreal breaks Semirhague's mirror of mists weave. It was either Nynaeve's or Cad's that disrupted it. Both have one that do this as did most Paralis nets made...post-breaking iirc?

It was Cads....

KoD

Rand pretended to check his saddle girth. “Can you tell which one?” he asked quietly. He still did not reach saidin. There was no telling what Lews Therin might do in these circumstances if he managed to grab control again. Logain was fiddling with his girth, too, and Narishma was watching Sandomere check one of the dapple’s hooves. They had heard. The small woman was waiting in the doorway, very still but no doubt impatient and likely offended by their apparent interest in their horses.

“No,” Cadsuane replied grimly. “But I can do something about it. Once we’re closer.” Her golden hair ornaments swayed as she tossed her cloak back as though unmasking a sword.

We don't know if Nyn's has one that disrupts at distance.

Thanks

It was Cads....

KoD

Rand pretended to check his saddle girth. “Can you tell which one?” he asked quietly. He still did not reach saidin. There was no telling what Lews Therin might do in these circumstances if he managed to grab control again. Logain was fiddling with his girth, too, and Narishma was watching Sandomere check one of the dapple’s hooves. They had heard. The small woman was waiting in the doorway, very still but no doubt impatient and likely offended by their apparent interest in their horses.

“No,” Cadsuane replied grimly. “But I can do something about it. Once we’re closer.” Her golden hair ornaments swayed as she tossed her cloak back as though unmasking a sword.

I would think it is intended more to protect the wearer as well as a small distance around them, otherwise someone could weave fire beside them and burn them with the heat and other nefarious things. I think that, like much of the old stuff with weaves and Ter'angreal they are being used for purposes other than intended. She had to step close to disrupt the Mask of Mirrors. I think it is a similar Ter'angreal to Mat's, but not identical. Perhaps its very purpose was to disrupt traps, wards, etc that Black Ajah and Dreadlords used after the breaking, perhaps during the Trolloc wars. It would be nice to know if hers is a pre-breaking or post-breaking set. I also think that Lanfear had a set of silver moons and stars she wore in her hair in the early books, but I am unsure if it was a Paralis net or just ornamental jewelry. It would be neat to find out.

Thanks

It was Cads....

KoD

I would think it is intended more to protect the wearer as well as a small distance around them, otherwise someone could weave fire beside them and burn them with the heat and other nefarious things. I think that, like much of the old stuff with weaves and Ter'angreal they are being used for purposes other than intended. She had to step close to disrupt the Mask of Mirrors. I think it is a similar Ter'angreal to Mat's, but not identical. Perhaps its very purpose was to disrupt traps, wards, etc that Black Ajah and Dreadlords used after the breaking, perhaps during the Trolloc wars. It would be nice to know if hers is a pre-breaking or post-breaking set. I also think that Lanfear had a set of silver moons and stars she wore in her hair in the early books, but I am unsure if it was a Paralis net or just ornamental jewelry. It would be neat to find out.

Cads' set was made during the breaking per RJ. Further she has another piece in her set seperate from the distance piece that acts as Mats medallion.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two versions of a Paralis net. Pre-Breaking and Post-Breaking. Pre-breaking had your standard Angreal/Ter'angreal, but later after the war and the dissolution of the nations in the upheaval of the Breaking, Paralis sets began to include clever Ter'angreal that create air-shields to protect the wearer, ter'angreal for finding the direction of channeling though it doesn't seem to distinguish from male or female, ter'angreal to sense hostile emotions from people close by hate/anger, and other nifty things to allow the wearer (Aes Sedai mostly) to navigate a hostile and ever-changing world of shifting alliances and where the armies of Light were still having to battle the Dreadlords and Trolloc armies. I am sure that we will see some new sets casually mentioned as being created by Elayne or some other new novice or channeler appear in AMOL that stems from their research, studying, or copying those the girls possess.

Archived