DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dark Prophecy from ToM

Terez

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Broken Wolf in the TOM prophecy?

I agree about farstrider, and considering no one knew who he was he must has faced death somehow (not literally). Plus he told Mat at the end to tell how people how the tale of Farstrider ended. Farstrider seems to fit the best but it feels strange for such a character to have such a big part in a prophecy, although he is famous for being a true hero and everyone knows the tale of Jain Farstrider. The finn towers could also possibly be the midnight towers but the seanchan towers or the forsaken seems more likely because of their known existence and Egwene's dream but maybe those are some RJ curve balls.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure everyone thinks Farstrider is dead anyway. Or at least they think he has retired and is not really all "Farstrider" any more, but "Nearstrider".

It is like Cadsuane, they think she is dead. her dying would, to many people, just be "Oh, she was still alive?" Rather than shaking the wills of men.

Hello everyone, I'm a longtime lurker throwing in with Rand being the Broken Wolf.

Near the end of Path of Daggers:Chapter 29, Rand refers to himself as a wolf.

“Min, I thought I was the whole pack of hounds, chasing down one wolf after another, but it seems I’m the wolf.”

“Burn you,” she breathed. Tangling both hands in his hair, she stared in his eyes. Now blue, now gray, a morning sky just at sunrise. And dry. “You can cry, Rand al’Thor. You won’t melt if you cry!”

“I don’t have time for tears, either, Min,” he said gently. “Sometimes the hounds catch the wolf and wish they hadn’t. Sometimes he turns on them, or waits in ambush. But first, the wolf has to run.”

Yeah, that's one of the quotes I used to argue the point here. I think it's part of an overarching wolf-in-sheep's-clothing theme for Rand, mostly dealing with his bond with Moridin which is, after all, the subject of this particular prophecy if one assumes that both Death and the Midnight Towers refer to Moridin (which fits all the details in question). But most people think Wolf=Perrin, and would have thought that even if Graendal hadn't thought it for them.

I think it's Perrin. His death would rattled and demoralize a lot of people. I know some people don't think he is as major a player as Mat or Rand, but think about it. He turned the TR into a formidable force, got Mayene, Ghealdan, And a few Aiel and AS behind him, is high up in Saldaean nobility now, has friends(or respected acquaintances, in my opinion) in the Seanchan empire, and not to mention he has the Children of Light backing him up now, so basically he has Amadicia behind him as well.

Also, let's not forget:

"In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself"

Also, when it said his destruction will bring fear and sorrow into the hearts of men, it doesn't necessarily mean every man, but maybe just a whole lot of them. Now I don't if the bolded part refers to his death or not, or if Perrin is even the Fallen Blacksmith in question, but there it is. Has death known Perrin? In a way, yeah. Ishy had visited him in his dreams in book one, and Ishy is Moridin now. Also, Hopper knew him. And Hopper was a dead wolf, technically, so yeah. Kind of a stretch I know, but there it is. And how would he be consumed by the Midnight Towers? Well, maybe if he tells Rand about how he destroyed that one dreamspike, Rand will task him with doing so with the one at the BT or one that might be at Moridin's palace, if there's one there.

• 1 month later...

I figured I would revive this since 1) it's on the spoilers forum, and 2) Brandon hath wielded the clue stick.

“So what did you do?” Rand asked when his laughter subsided. He poured himself a cup of red wine, the other one for Perrin, who blushed at the question. He’s become harder, Rand thought, but somehow he hasn’t lost that innocence of his. Not completely. To Rand that was a marvelous thing. A wonder, like a pearl being discovered in a trout. Perrin was strong, but his strength hadn’t broken him.

Well i first thought it was small hints about "littel Wolf" and the fact that he fought the Seanchan empire but after reading the link above my faith is shaken. Do i think it is odd that Rand appears on so many places. Perrin has been out of my speculations since i took a real interest in the prophecy because it's to obvious

Guest Elena Boughey

Since there is something saying 'to live, you must die' in reference to Rand, that's where my vote is going. I think that it would be significant and would certainly break their will. Then he will somehow live again and their will shall be restored is what I think.... (although I can't exactly figure out how he will die and then live again and am giddy with anticipation)!

I will com back after I research this more, but was of the opinion it was more of a "fork" prophecy. More of an if this happened situation, I also submit Hopper and the wolves knowledge that the Last Hunt would come after Rand's confrontation or it would not, The Borderland fiefs belief that they should kill Rand if he was not in possession of the knowledge they required for there was only more death along the alternate path. Rand's certainty that the time when they could have taken him has passed and there is no place for them to hide among his allies etc. all possibilities that failed. So I have dismissed this as such.

But will look closer to reevaluate

I will com back after I research this more, but was of the opinion it was more of a "fork" prophecy.

It was not. No options were presented, and dark prophecies are just as valid as light prophecies.

I will com back after I research this more, but was of the opinion it was more of a "fork" prophecy.

It was not. No options were presented, and dark prophecies are just as valid as light prophecies.

Then is the last part prophecy? The he shall eat our eyes and such. I mean, that directly implies the end of All. How does that work in?

As to who the broken wolf is, I really don't know. I've read this entire thread multiple times and still have no clue. It makes 0 sense to me for Rand to be called the broken wolf, but the rest of it makes sense to point to Rand. Just that part throws it off for me.

ToM,Epilogue

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning,8 and

the First Among Vermin9 lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who

will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come.

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and

be consumed by the Midnight Towers.10 And his destruction shall bring

fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

If you will analyze the paragraph, it Jumps from subject to subject.

One-Eyed Fool - Mat

First Among Vermin - First Among the Servants (the Dragon, a.k.a. the Dragon Reborn)

Him who will Destroy - Dark One

Fallen Blacksmith - Perrin

Broken Wolf -

Because I cannot over analyze this, I am going to say "The Little Wolf" who has been at war and seen alot of death recently and accepted his death, yet has kept men fighting impossible to win battles or agreeing to fight in impossible scenarios solely if he were to lead. His death will shake the will of the men with him to the very core.

Final answer,

The blacksmith's pride will fall. He's finally accepted his position as a leader and as a wolfbrother. He put his pride aside and stopped resisting. Moridin has misinterpreted it.

As for the broken wolf, i think we need to find out who death has known. I think it could have been jain farstrider. Everyone knows of him and loves him. He was broken until he met up with mat. Moridin (death) knew him and tortured him as Ishy. Also he died in ToM in a tower

I don't believe that Mat is the Broken Wolf but if I remember correctly didn't he die in the Rand/Rhavin battle but then was brought back because Rhavin was balefired? I don't know if there is a more complete way to know death except for maybe revival by the DO

I still think that it is Lan. Lan has been compared to wolves before, and he is known as a champion of light. He will go to reclaim his country and bring down his wraith on the blight. Him living in general has been a thorn in the dark ones foot, and him dying would effect the morale. He is known as the perfect warrior, if he could fall peole would be more afraid.

ToM,Epilogue

One-Eyed Fool - Mat

First Among Vermin - First Among the Servants (the Dragon, a.k.a. the Dragon Reborn)

Broken Wolf -

There's one more subject, making that list:

One-Eyed Fool - Mat

Broken Wolf -

He (his destruction) -

This person, whose destruction 'shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself', is not necessarily one of the previous persons mentioned. Indeed, the 'destruction' referred to could mean either 'of him' or 'by him'. Think of the destruction Mat's cannons could cause (see Egwene's dream in CoT20), or Perrin's new hammer.

ToM,Epilogue

One-Eyed Fool - Mat

Broken Wolf -

There's one more subject, making that list:

One-Eyed Fool - Mat

Broken Wolf -

He (his destruction) -

This person, whose destruction 'shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself', is not necessarily one of the previous persons mentioned. Indeed, the 'destruction' referred to could mean either 'of him' or 'by him'. Think of the destruction Mat's cannons could cause (see Egwene's dream in CoT20), or Perrin's new hammer.

Well if Rand breaks the seals of the DO i think it will shake the will of men . We can already see that the their are a resistant against and fear and sorrow is a likely outcome if Rand succeeds, not only because the forsaken are going to go on a rampage to avert Rand from his intention to seal it up with fresh seals, no remember even if the DO can not immediately destroy the world he will have more access to it and therefore the bubbles of evil will become more frequent.

That part tells us nothing new, even if it maybe sets Rand a little lower on the list (or not) because most of the possible figures appearing on the list is mighty and quite able to deal out large quantity of destruction.

I voted for bashere. Here is why.... Queen Tenobia will die, making Bashere king of Saldaea and wearer of the Broken Crown. As one pf Rands main generals, he will likely be leading a large force against the Shadow, so dying (and possibly his army being crushed with him) would shake the will of men for sure. I take him falling and being consumed by the midnight towers to mean the forsaken kill him, i would guess demandred. And Death (aka Moridin) has known him because in LoC Taim (aka Moridin :p) meets him.... The part about Taim being Moridin im only 50/50 on, but i feel the rest fits Bashere and nobody else.... For some reason people arguing that Rand is the broken wolf seems like a huge stretch to me.... While his PoV has sometimes had him describe himself as a wolf, that is more to imply he is a hunter and dangerous. I doubt any prophecy would refer to the dragon as a wolf, just doesnt make sense as a title for Rand or LTT.

Was it ever confirmed which towers the "Towers of Midnight" refers to?

No confirmation for that prophecy im aware of, but the glossary of ToM says the Towers of Midnight are a bunch of stone towers in Seanchan or something like that

The prophecy quite clearly refers to the Forsaken.

Archived