DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dark Prophecy from ToM

Terez

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Broken Wolf in the TOM prophecy?

Faile can't die, because Perrin needs her to be king, and we know he's going to be king.

Why does Perrin need her to be king?

I dont have the book in front of me, but i believe he needs Faile to be king of saldaea because his marriage to her makes him eligible. And it has to be Saldaea because Min saw the broken crown around Perrin. Pretty sure she did at least, guess i couldve imagined it

I remember the broken crown, and I agree he will be a king. I just don't agree he needs Faile. I don't think he'll necessarily be king of Saldea. I think he's being prepped for Manetheren.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But didn't he in his dealings with Elayne basically state he wasn't going to try and become a kind of Manetheren? and I know things change and all that but I don't think Perrin would break his word or go back on something like that. Ergo I am of the belief he needs Faile to become king.

But didn't he in his dealings with Elayne basically state he wasn't going to try and become a kind of Manetheren? and I know things change and all that but I don't think Perrin would break his word or go back on something like that. Ergo I am of the belief he needs Faile to become king.

I just think that the world's at a place where promises like that don't mean all that much. It seems to me that he's leading thousands of people who already look to him as a king. But, I could be entirely incorrect, I'm just voicing my opinion. ;)

Yea I know I get that and respect your opinion. Just am of the belief that Perrin already arranged an agreement for him to not be king of Manetheren. I would like him to because I think he would be a good king and better for the two rivers than Elayne but such is life.

Yea I know I get that and respect your opinion. Just am of the belief that Perrin already arranged an agreement for him to not be king of Manetheren. I would like him to because I think he would be a good king and better for the two rivers than Elayne but such is life.

could still happen, the whole book is about three guys who get pushed into places they didn't want to be. ;)

could still happen, the whole book is about three guys who get pushed into places they didn't want to be. ;)

The broken crown is the name of Saldea's crown however. That combined with Elaynes deal pretty much locks it up.

The broken crown is the name of Saldea's crown however. That combined with Elaynes deal pretty much locks it up.

AH! didn't know that. Done and done.

Also, Brandon's TGH foreshadowing points to Leane's comment about Perrin wearing a crown. He said it was foreshadowing for AMOL, so we know it will happen in the last book. So Faile can't die, because even if she dies right after they are crowned, I find it difficult to believe Perrin would remain king unless they had children already. Which is impossible.

The thing about Min's visions are the timelessness of them. There isn't a deadline for this vision. It is possible that Perrin could have kids and let them grow up before he gets the opportunity to take the Broken Crown. I believe in his Elayne deal they agreed that if Perrin had kids they would rule over the two rivers after him. So it is entirely possible that Perrin could go rule the two rivers for awhile then when Bashere dies he could go rule with the Broken Crown.

The thing about Min's visions are the timelessness of them. There isn't a deadline for this vision. It is possible that Perrin could have kids and let them grow up before he gets the opportunity to take the Broken Crown. I believe in his Elayne deal they agreed that if Perrin had kids they would rule over the two rivers after him. So it is entirely possible that Perrin could go rule the two rivers for awhile then when Bashere dies he could go rule with the Broken Crown.

That makes me feel better. ;)

The thing about Min's visions are the timelessness of them. There isn't a deadline for this vision.

There is for this one, because Brandon said it was foreshadowed for AMOL. Pretty sure I already said that...

Oh. I didn't know that Brandon had come out and confirmed it 100%. I just thought he had said something about there being foreshadowing in TGH that was applicable to the end of AMoL.

He has not confirmed anything at all about the Broken Crown. That was a pure guess:

http://www.theorylan...read.php?t=5070Terez made three guesses in two tweets. BS responded 'nope and nope'. Was this to two of the three guesse (which two) or to the two tweets? And does anyone really think BS would give a thing like that awy?

I think he was trying not to give it away. But he said I had pondered the meaning of it before, which means he had to be referring to my other tweet (because I know what I have pondered and what I have not, and I'm pretty sure Brandon doesn't follow me around on Theoryland). So unless you can come up with a feasible option, then yes, he did confirm it.

PS—here is the full quote.

From http://www.theorylan...read.php?t=5070

Originally Posted by Twitter

Brandon on Twitter - 18 January 2011

Yes, there is other foreshadowing in the books that I'm not telling you about because it references AMOL.

Terez

I will hopefully catch some of those, though I'm bound to catch a few red herrings as well.

Brandon

I just passed a big one in TGH.

Terez

haha, and you know I will be scouring the pages of your vicinity looking for it.

Terez

My first guess: Mat is immune to Fain's dagger. (ch. 7) Second guess: foreshadowing of Cyndane's importance in AMOL.

Terez

3rd: Slayer's role in AMOL. 4th: Perrin puts on a crown and speaks in High Chant. (the crown at least seems likely)22

Brandon

Nope and nope. It's a very innocent line, and I won't tell you more than that. You'll spot it once you read AMOL.

From http://www.theorylan...tvmain.php?i=36

FOOTNOTE—TEREZ

I think I pretty much figured it out before he responded—it makes a good deal of sense in reference to his Lews Therin dilemma and the dilemma of his harem. I tweeted about all that but Brandon responded to my first tweet, so I spared you.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, there is other foreshadowing in the books that I'm not telling you about because it references A Memory of Light.

TEREZ

I will hopefully catch some of those, though I'm bound to catch a few red herrings as well. :)

BRANDON SANDERSON

I just passed a big one in The Great Hunt.

TEREZ

haha, and you know I will be scouring the pages of your vicinity looking for it. :D

TEREZ

My first guess: Mat is immune to Fain's dagger. (chapter seven) Second guess: foreshadowing of Cyndane's importance in A Memory of Light.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nope and nope. It's a very innocent line, and I won't tell you more than that. You'll spot it once you read A Memory of Light.

TEREZ

Third: Slayer's role in A Memory of Light. Fourth: Perrin puts on a crown and speaks in High Chant. (the crown at least seems likely)

FOOTNOTE—TEREZ

Brandon was responding to my first two guesses, not the third and fourth (as you can see by clicking on the link for his 'nope and nope' tweet, which should show the specific tweet he responded to). He almost certainly saw guesses three and four, but he didn't comment on them.

So he did not, in fact, confirm anything about the Broken Crown. I would find it truly extraordinary if he had - I don't consider that feasible at all!

ETA:

I'd like to add that any foreshadowing of Perrin putting on a crown is pretty superfluous. We already have Min's Viewing of him in EotW15 of "A wolf, and a broken crown, and trees flowering all around him". We know he's married to Faile, the heir to the Broken Crown after Bashere. And we know Min's viewing of 'something dark' about Bashere, and her worry if Bashere turns against Rand or dies. So Perrin's ascent to the rule of Saldaea has been thoroughly flagged; so why would BS bother to say anything about it?

Unless he's trailing a red herring..

Why could he not occasionally check fan sites? He started out as a fan. Maybe he saw something you posted. You have an easy name to remember and a distinct posting style. It would not be far fetched for him to have stumbled across you mentioning it without stalking you

Yes, I took that into consideration, but I didn't see anything else in that range of chapters that I'd posted about any time recently. I have a pretty good memory for that sort of thing.

PS—There are other reasons to believe that viewing of Min's will be fulfilled in AMOL. Mainly that it's one of the first viewings she had of him, and it was (as discussed) foreshadowed again in TGH. He met Faile in TDR. His made-up backstory to Elyas in TEOTW was that he and Egwene were from Saldaea and that they had never been to Maradon, which was a shame because they really wanted to see the King. But that was one of the reasons Elyas knew their story was a lie; Saldaea had a queen. And then in TOM, we get a glossary entry making it clear (for the first time) that Saldaea has a joint monarchy. Or rather, something very close to a joint monarchy that gives a little more weight to the actual heir than to the heir's spouse, which makes it pretty clear that Perrin won't be king if Faile dies. It would be strange for something that was foreshadowed so often to not occur in AMOL.

• 4 weeks later...

FIrst Choice, Hopper. He's a wolf, and he has been killed before, so he has "known" death. His death frightened Perrin and shook his will, although he reaffirmed himself as a leader.

Second choice, Lan. He's already facing hundreds of thousands of trollocs with no known aid with only a couple thousand Malkieri. His death would certainly devastate the borderlanders and any other people to whom he's important to.

FIrst Choice, Hopper. He's a wolf, and he has been killed before, so he has "known" death. His death frightened Perrin and shook his will, although he reaffirmed himself as a leader.

Second choice, Lan. He's already facing hundreds of thousands of trollocs with no known aid with only a couple thousand Malkieri. His death would certainly devastate the borderlanders and any other people to whom he's important to.

I think it's Lan - they even mention something about him courting death or something along those lines.

Or, it's Slayer - either Luc or Isam died, if I remember correctly, and the two were somehow stuck together. Plus, he has wolves on his gauntlets.

Hard to choose but I think its Slayer. He goes out of his way to kill wolves, but I think he is a wolf brother, and the "broken" is referring to his mind as he has been corrupted

Why would Slayer's death bring fear and sorrow to the heart's of men?

The one whom death has known, Lan is always described as being deeply involved with death in a familiar sense, and he is a great hero. He's my first guess.

Perrin, or Rand are tied for second.

There's quite a difference between knowing death and having Death know you. For that, Lan is a weak candidate. For Slayer, the only thing I can think of is if they dress his Luc persona to imitate Rand, which should be possible with anyone that hasn't spent a considerable amount of time with Rand. Or, you know, what others have suggested about "his destruction" being the destruction that he caused.

Archived