DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 2 Audio Available on Tor

Luckers

Mathew please enlighten???

Sid: I think you are right:( I mean how do you not noticed one of the rules of circles that is talked about all throughout the books??? It is even mentioned as a reason for the war of shadow, as the dark on touched the land, women became more jealous and thus started to refuse to circles as they would lose control of the flows.

Pevara, due to events of her past, has a very intense hatred of dark friends. It's my belief that the 13x13 trick does not instantly make someone a dark friend, rather it makes them a rather unpleasant individual by bringing out all their worst aspects. There was a reply from RJ a few years ago saying something along those lines.

Anyone who knew Pevara, like one of the Aes Sedai already turned for example, would know of her intense hatred. This would probably put her right at the bottom of the list top be 'turned',if not of it entirely.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is even mentioned as a reason for the war of shadow, as the dark on touched the land, women became more jealous and thus started to refuse to circles as they would lose control of the flows.

Where was this brought up? I would like to check it out if you could point me in the right direction. It was stated as a reason for the War of the Shadow?

Peter Ahlstrom just tweeted that Tor is not planning to release chapter 2 in written format before the full AMOL comes out and said that fans will have to transcribe it so this is doubly strange.

I was just referring to what people have done in past years; I did not mean to imply permission to do so.

EDIT: A little more since Herid asked about it on Twitter. I wasn't aware they were sending a DMCA on this, and I don't know why now and not in previous years, though I speculate there may be some leftover issues from the prologue leak. There's also a huge rise in the last two years of the number of people who consume their writing electronically, and a public document can get a huge number of eyes and that won't make some people happy.

There's not anything I can do about it. They want this to be an audio preview, so officially, that's pretty much that. Irene's response on the issue on Tor.com is the official word.

I see what you mean about pirating but it's still too bad. Thanks for the update anyway.

People, let's keep what we say of Brandon's work respectful, okay? I mean, you know I don't admire every last aspect of it myself, but there's a great difference between pointing out apparent mistakes and sinking to names-calling. Alright?

EDIT: On a different note

I see what you mean about pirating but it's still too bad. Thanks for the update anyway.

I actually resent this. It would be different if they published the ebook concurrently, but you can't eat your cake and have it too. As far as I'm concerned, the owner of a book which isn't available in ebook format is within his rights to scan it and keep the file.

I do find it difficult to blame Tor, as I know they have very different policies on other projects, but ultimately they're the ones who earn my ire as a result of this preposterous approach.

While I do understand the importance of keeping a civil tongue, isn't the time for constructive criticism past? I mean mistakes have been pointed out probably hundreds of times. Yet the quality of each book seems to be diminishing. Brandon's and editors' work is done, this is the final book and all there is left is publishing and delivery. Nothing we say can change anything and there really isn't much point to saying "this should have been done better". Not that moaning will do any better but at least that does help us getting things out of our chests.

Eh. The conversation read like this.

ZOMG, so this is why you're the boss, eh? Best. Thing. Ever!

(Oh, but Evin isn't some random fan, he's been with us from the start)

Dammit, the one time I choose to make a joke about then, and this is what I get. *sighs*

Yes, someone should teach Aviendha that one doesn't need to ask whether one has toh. To do so would only embarrass one's instructors :smile:

Lol. Epic.

While I do understand the importance of keeping a civil tongue, isn't the time for constructive criticism past? I mean mistakes have been pointed out probably hundreds of times. Yet the quality of each book seems to be diminishing. Brandon's and editors' work is done, this is the final book and all there is left is publishing and delivery. Nothing we say can change anything and there really isn't much point to saying "this should have been done better". Not that moaning will do any better but at least that does help us getting things out of our chests.

I should think common courtesy is reason enough to forego insults and name-calling.

- Minuscule forward movement in the BT plotline

- Aviendha knows she has one night left to be with Rand and goes to ask permission from Elayne. Rand saw her at the end of Chapter one, why didn't she at least say "hello" to him before going to Elayne. That bond is useless!

- Elayne won't retake Caemlyn right away; but she will still draw considerable forces to regain Caemlyn after drawing the Trollocs outside. Demandred might surprise her with his tactical genius.

And this took precedence over Moiraine and Mat!

Personal impression: What could have been done in 6 - 10 pages took a whole chapter! Too much filler material.

I should think common courtesy is reason enough to forego insults and name-calling.

Well I didn't suggest we stoop to that.

While I completely agree that the time for constructive criticism is over, Cem Önal, I was thinking more along the lines of Ablar's response. No matter what, we will continue to conduct ourselves in a mature manner on these boards, and some of what's been said in the last page doesn't fit the bill.

Listening to this chapter put a shiver down my spine. Putting things together from each of the sections of early released material, a chilling possibility occurred to me. And that possibility is that The Gathering Storm might be the best out of the last three books in this series.

The ending had better be mind-blowingly fantastic.

I agree, TGS might prove to be the best of the last three WOT books based on what we've seen of AMOL thus far. This last chapter felt contrived through both Pevara's and Avidendha's POV. Regarding Pevara, is it just me, or is her character overrated? Yeah, the atypical Red Ajah character angle was interesting for a bit, but I'm far more interested in the characters that have been with us since early in the series.

I too hope that they are somehow releasing the more passive material and that the rest of the book is kick ass. But I'm concerned about the quality of AMOL based on what we've seen so far.

i think (and hope) we about to witness Nyn 3rd Miracle

since it was establish that the Madness is the DO influence over the channeler mind -> healing a turning seem like the obvious next step :))

1 thing that cought my attention was Pevrah reaction to male/female cycle -> it seem VERY much like she was under an Adam, maybe the principle behind the origin of the Adam was based on such a cycle or a speicific variation of it (remember the impact of Saidin touching Adam or channeling a man with regular Adam).

about the cycle feeling diffrent then Rand/Nyn... could be a writer Error could be that Andorel did something wrong and caused it, Rand had the benefit of LTT doing backsit driving and revealing knowledge. we dont know enough.

about Pevrah reaction i cant react better then Master Ablar FULLY agrea with his reasoning.

i had no problem with Avi snealing into the Tent, it had been establish that Aiel can hide under your nose in a flatland. (unless u Perrin :) )

the intent scene was a bit of a stretch , but consider that Ellin and co was in a middle of a debate about a subject they feel STRONGLY about, so that their attention was VERY distructed /focus elsewhere.

i really DIDNT like the audio format, not only it was to long (i read much faster) but the vouce had been wrong to me.

i envision the char voices when i read and the narrator voice and in some scene the way she pronounce/tone she used simply wasnt it to me.

Few thoughts here.

If we don't have minute details of Pevara, then we don't really gather much information on the Red Ajah during this event. Focusing on Moiraine as we have, the history of this event seems to be written from an almost anti-Red perspective. We need more from Pevara because essentially, she is our only link to the future of the Red Ajah after the LB (Egg's Keeper not withstanding). I would agree, though, that the substance has been lacking. I WANT to know more about Pevara because, honestly, it is not where I thought the Reds would end up. I'm glad to see them somewhat redeemed. Sanderson has done the best he can carrying RJs opus across the finish line, but I have come to see many of these characters as ends that are being tied off. I don't see much fulfilling me other than knowledge of specific events, details, or battles.

Does anyone know what parts BS wrote? I say this without any proof, but I'd bet the house that RJ wrote the chapter with Perrin forging his hammer. It was the only scene that really moved me in the final books.

Does anyone know what parts BS wrote? I say this without any proof, but I'd bet the house that RJ wrote the chapter with Perrin forging his hammer. It was the only scene that really moved me in the final books.

I'm pretty sure that was Brandon--both in terms of notes and depiction. Which just goes to show what he can achieve with a little effort, I suppose.

Rand doesn't seem to think very highly of Elayne. He believes Elayne is going to attempt to retake the Caemlyn, so if he tells her that's a good idea maybe she'll just abandon her capital and stay at Merrilor out of spite.

More like, he expects her to get annoyed, then understand the ruse and be amused enough by it to think clearly and take his suggestion of staying for the meeting. Put any other way, he runs the risk of getting her back up.

Or at least, this is how I've decided to think about it. For my own sanity more than anything else.

The letter has another (possible) purpose. Now Elayne can go to the Entmoot and honestly say "Yeah, my capital was sacked by shadowspawn last night, but I'm still here because the Last Battle is more important than trying to reclaim a lost city."

-- dwn

In general, I enjoyed the chapter, though it's hard for me to properly critique it because I really dislike audiobooks. Thanks for the transcribing effort, Terez, despite the takedown.

The Pevara/Androl section of the prologue should have been wrapped into the beginning of this one. The prologue section served very little purpose on its own.

I found the linking and channelling missteps very weird.

I really wanted Naeff to show up.

Aviendha asking if she had toh can, I think, be explained because she was asking her first sister about wetlander customs.

While I'm not sure the sister-bond allows the sensing of one another's presence, Elayne should (probably) have sensed that a woman who can channel quite strongly was nearby. I haven't re-read the sister-bond scene in a while because I find it pretty silly.

And lastly... Pevara read "reports" from the early days after the breaking. Not "records" or "documents" or something. Reports. Why does that word keep getting used? Why does it bug me so much? *headdesk*

-- dwn

While I'm not sure the sister-bond allows the sensing of one another's presence, Elayne should (probably) have sensed that a woman who can channel quite strongly was nearby. I haven't re-read the sister-bond scene in a while because I find it pretty silly.

-- dwn

it is mentioned while they are in caemlyn that elayne could detect aviendah in the city.

and remember, elayne figured out that the weaves were somewhat related to a warder bond, that is how they devised the multi-bond that included min.

I think the Pevara scene had large consequences on the resolution to the BT plot. They discovered a way to get past their mistrust of one another, they discovered a way to potentional break through the dreamspike, they are layign the fundation for a new Red Ajah, and they have found a way to prove the Taint is gone. Pevara, by the 3 Oaths can swear it is clean. No other channeler under the 3 Oaths can do that until now.

As for Avi, Aiel sneak around even amongst friends. It is mentioned early in the books that Aiel gain much ji by being able to sneak up on a friend and touch their heel. So by doing so, Aviendha acted very much like an Aiel and treated Elayne like one too. As to why she ddn't say anything to Rand when she saw him.... It was in the middle of chaos for one thing, just after the Camelyn refugees arrived. Also, it is clear that she wants to meet Rand together with Elayne and Min first. So it was not the time nor the place for her to talk to him.

Pevara, by the 3 Oaths can swear it is clean. No other channeler under the 3 Oaths can do that until now.

Pevara can't, because she doesn't know what she's looking for (it's very clear that she still doesn't fully believe). However, Merise and co. certainly can, as they've had the advantage of feeling the taint before it was gone.

Pevara, by the 3 Oaths can swear it is clean. No other channeler under the 3 Oaths can do that until now.

Pevara can't, because she doesn't know what she's looking for (it's very clear that she still doesn't fully believe). However, Merise and co. certainly can, as they've had the advantage of feeling the taint before it was gone.

and nyn can of course attest to having not only been there at the cleansing, but having been directly involved. she has sworn the oaths at this point after all.

Archived