DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 2 Audio Available on Tor

Luckers

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooo, Pevara and Androl having a fit with each-other. It was kinda funny how it all went down, what with the Dual bonding, but I don't know, it was weird, although I can understand the tension of the situation. I can definitely see this as a real reaction. Just weird to read.

Logain and Weilyn was pretty much expected, but was a nice build-up. It was kinda just a repeat of the Mezar scene, but it is a new book, so they need to re-initiate it I suppose.

Started off annoying with the random and pointless chat, but got better towards the end.

Aviendha - was pretty good, I liked it. Elayne being badass. Very much like Rand, it seems he is rubbing off on her. Or her on him. It shows the connection a bit more I think. I like that it actually shows, not just random "they are in love" like it has been for so many books. It is understandable now.

What's with the random " I can channel good again" though....

Kinda silly with the letter, but typical.

Wonder what is going down with the 3 meeting, I suspect it will be of some importance.

I thought Elayne was done well, Aviendha, well, Aiel are hard for anyone but RJ to do, so it was as good as can be expected.

Overall, it was alright, just not much happening for my liking.

Edit: Another thing I just noticed was the random tension building for the sake of it, with no payoff. THe whole thing about keeping everyone together and not running off, especially Elayne, and literally the next chapter there's nothing to worry about. It just seems annoying and a cheap ploy

As I said, it was no worse than we could have expected from Brandon doing Aiel.

Edit: To clarify, I am not saying it was perfectly done. I just think it is as good as Brandon could have done it. The Aiel can't be done accurately by anyone other than RJ. I think it was the best we can expect.

Still listening, but one thing I thought odd was that Pevara "didn't let herself fight back, because that would dissolve the link". I thought it was already established in previous books that once you were drawn into a circle, you could not leave the circle until the person leading it released you.

Still listening, but one thing I thought odd was that Pevara "didn't let herself fight back, because that would dissolve the link". I thought it was already established in previous books that once you were drawn into a circle, you could not leave the circle until the person leading it released you.

I assumed this was in the first moments while it was still forming, when the link can still fail.

I thought the Aviendiah scene was fine - perhaps a little over the top but nothing too jarring for me. And even RJ had them really over the top in one scene and then pretty normal in the next sometimes.

The Androl/Pevara scene felt very RJ to me and was overall pretty well done.

Though frankly the entire chapter feels weird to me just because I've only listened to maybe one audiobook ever... don't like the format much.

I think that when the books mentioned that, they might have been talking about purely female circles (I think it was mentioned when they used the Bowl of the Winds). Perhaps the rules are different for male-female circles?

my biggest problem was that I found that I just didn't care what was happening half the time. It has hit the fan, there are plots in abundance to be explored before the end of this FINAL book, too many to cover. I don't want to read/listen to 10min of Aviendha slipping past guards or Pevara and Androl repeating the same thing over and over again.

This might be because the audio-book takes waaaaaaaaay longer than if I read it myself, but it annoyed me.

So I quite liked the Pevara scene--in terms of what is being hinted to come, at least. Even the portrayal was a step up from some of the previous material. Pevara suffered from an overly blunt assessment of her character again, but it wasn't as bad as the prologue scene, and it actually even faded away at times when Brandon forgot to talk directly to the reader using her and instead allowed the scene to flow organically. The double link was nice, though I think poorly handled. Pevara's supposed to be awesome, not a mental-rapist. Surely that same point could have been reached without her being douchey.

The discussion re: the Black and White Tower, the roles of the Red and all that was too reader-aware. Especially given Androl's apparent knowledge of the flaws of the modern Aes Sedai--something almost no one in Randland should actually be aware of, even those that hate the Aes Sedai. Perhaps if he'd had some sort of interaction with the Aiel it would make sense, but otherwise Brandon had Androl aware of facts not in evidence (for him).

The sense of doom regarding Logain was good--but the whole thing had a feel of holding off, which at this point is unnecessary, or even counter-productive. I can't help but think the knowledge that these scenes would be in the pre-release is the reason for dragging it out.

The big continuity error of this release is of course the forming of the link. A woman still has to initiate a one-woman-one-man link. She then turns control over to the man (he may even be able to simply take it. The scene with Rand and Nynaeve is at least suggestive of this, but not certain [the other option being simply that Nynaeve could not have done anything with the link until she gave control to the man])

The Aviendha scene was childish.

This might be because the audio-book takes waaaaaaaaay longer than if I read it myself, but it annoyed me.

That was another problem I noticed with this chapter, probably because it's the first time I'm listening to an audiobook version without reading the text version first.

Normally, I let my concentration drift when listening to what I know are the boring parts :P

Although, did anyone else find Pevara's apparent emotions about all of her sisters being turned vs. her reaction to news that Logain may be turned disturbing? The first, of women she's known and respected for centuries, was a bit 'well, that happened', and then of a man she has no reason to care about--and indeed considerable reason to actively dislike considering what he caused in Ghealdin--she's horrified.

Luckers, did you end up publishing the critique of Chapter 1?

Not yet. I've written most of it, but its still stewing.

Sooo things aren't looking good for Logain are they? I really hope he doesn't get turned. Besides he's got that great glory in his future. Sucks for Kajima and Jenare though.

Pevara and Androl was interesting. Loved the talk about the red ajah, the future of the BT, how the Aes Sedai really felt about the Asha'man... and then there was the bonding. What the hell Pevara! At least Androl got her back, but geez people should not bonding each other on a whim, especially not without the other agreeing!! I wish Androl had tried to open a gateway though.

Edit: Another thing I just noticed was the random tension building for the sake of it, with no payoff. THe whole thing about keeping everyone together and not running off, especially Elayne, and literally the next chapter there's nothing to worry about. It just seems annoying and a cheap ploy

What do you mean? Elayne intends to return to Andor the next day. Isn't that exactly what Rand doesn't want?

This was better than chapter 1. I quite liked the Pevara scene although I thought that her justification of bonding Androl by invoking Taim's permission was ridiculous. She knows full well now that he is a DF. The Avi scene was ok although the nails gag was a bit too silly.

Regarding the control of a man-woman circle thing that luckers noticed. this does look like a mistake although I never quite understood the rules there. in the case of Rand and Nynaeve she was in control of the link for a short time after it was formed. why couldn't have she just kept it? the cirlce was formed.

@Master Ablar It seems pretty clear that they are lying about Logain. It probably means that the confrontation between Taim's and Androl's group is just about to start.

Although, did anyone else find Pevara's apparent emotions about all of her sisters being turned vs. her reaction to news that Logain may be turned disturbing? The first, of women she's known and respected for centuries, was a bit 'well, that happened', and then of a man she has no reason to care about--and indeed considerable reason to actively dislike considering what he caused in Ghealdin--she's horrified.

Well, she's probably had time deal with the turning of her sisters. And in any case she's Aes Sedai, she hides her emotions. With Logain, the suddeness of the news combined with the fact that she just had a double bonding with Androl, makes her shock and horror understandable I think. And while she may not care about Logain personally, there's no denying his importance to Androl's faction. His death would be a terrible blow. His turning is twice as bad. Her knowledge of what he did in Ghealdan is all the more reason for her to be horrified.

This was better than chapter 1. I quite liked the Pevara scene although I thought that her justification of bonding Androl by invoking Taim's permission was ridiculous. She knows full well now that he is a DF. The Avi scene was ok although the nails gag was a bit too silly.

Well, I'm pretty sure she herself knows that her justification is complete crap. The only reason her bonding of Androl is any less of an outrage to me than Alanna bonding Rand, is because hers was clearly an instinctive reaction due to her ingrained fear and distrust of male channellers. That and Androl getting her back softened it a little. It's still very, very wrong though of course.

And yeah the nail thing was, although I admit rather hilarious, somewhat silly.

Regarding the control of a man-woman circle thing that luckers noticed. this does look like a mistake although I never quite understood the rules there. in the case of Rand and Nynaeve she was in control of the link for a short time after it was formed. why couldn't have she just kept it? the cirlce was formed.

Yeah the rules have been so blurry about linking between men and women that I'm willing to just handwaive that.

@Master Ablar It seems pretty clear that they are lying about Logain. It probably means that the confrontation between Taim's and Androl's group is just about to start.

Well they bloody well better be! Otherwise I'm holding you accountable!

lol, fine, I'll submit to punishment if I'm wrong ;) But if they had Logain they would have produced him for sure instead of telling tales. They've been telling tales about him for a while.

Plus there are those Min's visions about Logain and glory.

lol, fine, I'll submit to punishment if I'm wrong ;) But if they had Logain they would have produced him for sure instead of telling tales. They've been telling tales about him for a while.

True, true, but didn't Kajima promise Logain would be back tomorrow? That's to precise for comfort. Of course they may well be planning on taking out Androl's faction before that anyway...

Min's vision does sort of assure Logain's safety. Unless turning can be reversed somehow.

What do you mean? Elayne intends to return to Andor the next day. Isn't that exactly what Rand doesn't want?

She says she is going to stay for the meeting then go back that afternoon, which is all Rand wanted. He will have time to work his magic at the meeting.

Also, just because Logain is captured, doesn't mean he is toast. They could stage a rescue and save him at the last minute, or turn him back to the Light somehow. Also, keep in mind that Logain's glory does not necessarily mean it will be a "good" glory. We have seen the double edged sword of Min's viewings in Sheriam. He could gain glory via the Shadow.

(I don't think that, but the vision doesn't mean he will be "good")

She says she is going to stay for the meeting then go back that afternoon, which is all Rand wanted. He will have time to work his magic at the meeting.

Really? I figured Rand wanted them to stay together for the rest of the Last Battle. Not necessarily all in one place, but coordinated and working together. Maybe I need to re-read the first chapter...

True, true, but didn't Kajima promise Logain would be back tomorrow? That's to precise for comfort.

that's why I think the confrontation is just about to start.

Well, she's probably had time deal with the turning of her sisters. And in any case she's Aes Sedai, she hides her emotions. With Logain, the suddeness of the news combined with the fact that she just had a double bonding with Androl, makes her shock and horror understandable I think. And while she may not care about Logain personally, there's no denying his importance to Androl's faction. His death would be a terrible blow. His turning is twice as bad. Her knowledge of what he did in Ghealdan is all the more reason for her to be horrified.

Eh. The conversation read like this.

Pevara: I'm Aes Sedai, you're a man who can channel. You scare me.

Androl: I can't trust you.

Pevara: I can help you plan your coup against Taim. He's taken the rest of my sisters. That totally happened. I cried. Off screen.

Androl: You offer yourself as bait?

Pevara: Say what now?

Androl: Ah sarcasm.

Pevara: You really don't know anything about Aes Sedai do you?

Androl: Wait, what about your ideas for the coup?

Pevara: We're discussing Aes Sedai now. Keep up.

Androl: Well, sure I know alot about Aes Sedai. I know all your innermost flaws.

Pevara: So you've spent time studying us?

Androl: Oh no, I've avoided you as best I can.

Pevara: Then how can you know about flaws none but the Wise One's, some Kinswomen and maybe Fortuona know about.

Androl: I read this thread: http://www.dragonmou...f-an-aes-sedai/ . How did you know about those other things?

Pevara: eWoT, idiot. Let's link.

Androl: Well, okay, just so long as you don't freak out on me.

Pevara: Don't be silly. Now, break the laws of physics and initiate the link. Don't worry, I misunderstood something I studied earlier. It will work.

Androl: Okay...

Pevara: ZOMG YOU'RE CONTROLLING ME!!!!! #MindRapeBond

Androl: You said you wouldn't freak out. Just for that... #MindRapeBond.

Pevara: Well, that was certainly interesting.

Androl: Oh yes. I enjoyed it, myself. Look, the door is opening. I, the weak one, will take steps to protect us from the very likely reality that we're about to be Mindraped in a far less congenial way. You just stand there and wax lyrical about the One Power. Good girl.

FanStandInChild: Hey Mum! I'm on TV!!!

Pevara: Calm down sparky, at this stage it's just a book. Now, what terrible news do you have?

FanStandInChild: Weilyn 13.0 just rocked up. You can infer that Logain might suffer the same fate.

Pevara: OH NO NOT LOGAIN!!!!!

Androl: Poor Melare. She seemed nice.

Pevara: Who?

Androl: Never mind. Onward and upward my friends! Into the breach!

Pevara: You're strange. I have a feeling we're going to end up together.

Androl: Say what now?

Brandon: To be continued....

Eh. The conversation read like this.

Pevara: I'm Aes Sedai, you're a man who can channel. You scare me.

Androl: I can't trust you.

Pevara: I can help you plan your coup against Taim. He's taken the rest of my sisters. That totally happened. I cried. Off screen.

Androl: You offer yourself as bait?

Pevara: Say what now?

Androl: Ah sarcasm.

Pevara: You really don't know anything about Aes Sedai do you?

Androl: Wait, what about your ideas for the coup?

Pevara: We're discussing Aes Sedai now. Keep up.

Androl: Well, sure I know alot about Aes Sedai. I know all your innermost flaws.

Pevara: So you've spent time studying us?

Androl: Oh no, I've avoided you as best I can.

Pevara: Then how can you know about flaws none but the Wise One's, some Kinswomen and maybe Fortuona know about.

Androl: I read this thread: http://www.dragonmou...f-an-aes-sedai/ . How did you know about those other things?

Pevara: eWoT, idiot. Let's link.

Androl: Well, okay, just so long as you don't freak out on me.

Pevara: Don't be silly. Now, break the laws of physics and initiate the link. Don't worry, I misunderstood something I studied earlier. It will work.

Androl: Okay...

Pevara: ZOMG YOU'RE CONTROLLING ME!!!!! #MindRapeBond

Androl: You said you wouldn't freak out. Just for that... #MindRapeBond.

Pevara: Well, that was certainly interesting.

Androl: Oh yes. I enjoyed it, myself. Look, the door is opening. I, the weak one, will take steps to protect us from the very likely reality that we're about to be Mindraped in a far less congenial way. You just stand there and wax lyrical about the One Power. Good girl.

FanStandInChild: Hey Mum! I'm on TV!!!

Pevara: Calm down sparky, at this stage it's just a book. Now, what terrible news do you have?

FanStandInChild: Weilyn 13.0 just rocked up. You can infer that Logain might suffer the same fate.

Pevara: OH NO NOT LOGAIN!!!!!

Androl: Poor Melare. She seemed nice.

Pevara: Who?

Androl: Never mind. Onward and upward my friends! Into the breach!

Pevara: You're strange. I have a feeling we're going to end up together.

Androl: Say what now?

Brandon: To be continued....

Pretty much ya.

Archived