• Nynaeve
    • Sumeko
    • Semirhage
    • Flinn
    • Samitsu
    • other

who u think is the best healer ?

Semiherg is reputed as the best healer in AoL

Nyn mamaged to do healing feats that even AoL healer cxouldnt do.

Sumaco heal with such skill and inituativity that even Nyn is amazed (and sumaco regard nyn as decent and rank her below her :) )

Flin -> can do Saidin healing that heal thing saider cant (his unhealable weound scene)

added Smitsu due to Cads talk to her

personaly i'm torn between Semy/Sum/Nyn

i think Sum is overall a better healer then Nyn but that Nyn can do feats of healing sumaco cant

like a graph -> Sumaco is constant 8/9+ , Nyn is 6/7+ with peaks of 100K (healing madness!!!!) , Semy i think is the most knowladgable healer but with the worst attidute (she want to hurt more then heal) and i think Nyn can out peak her (again -> HEALING MADNESS!!!! ).

i do believe Nyn will be the best healer in the future given 100+ years to practice and learn, but at curent state i'm not sure.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I get to go first - I've voted Sumaco, although Semitsu was a very close second. Reason being that they are the best at healing.

Flynn and Nyn are at the top of a different (imaginary) poll to do with stubborness, determination and thinking outside the box. They're the best at doing things that have never been done before, but even Nyns 5 element healing has been copied and improved by other sisters (and some novices).

Semi may have more knowledge, but she doesn't use it well. plus I assume that most of the AoL healing knowledge was passed down as it will have been useful throughout (obviously there is some bits she knows that current AS don't, but the gap is narrower than I think she'd want to admit.

Gotta be Flinn - Men are better at everything. No just kidding, but seriously Flinn performed amazing healing feats (Rand's wound/healing severing) and that was books ago. The guy's only been channeling for what like a year and he's already done that so he definitely gets major credit.

Then again Nyn is pretty much THE innovator of healing, obviously her 5 element healing, but also she too healed severing and one of the coolest things ever she healed the taint (not the part where she helped cleanse the taint, I mean the healing of the asha'man that already had madness going on).

So it's definitely up there between Flinn and Nynaeve to me when it comes to major healing and innovation. Now if you mean just plain ole who's the best at healing people that are hurt I think Sumeko has that title, but cannot remember exactly.

To me Semi isn't really in the running. Yeah she was the bees knees in the AoL but there has been far more things done in the current age around healing that were thought to be impossible in the AoL so seems to me like AoL healing was subpar to current healing.

Samitsu isn't even in the running. She herself knows she is not even close to as good as Flinn and said she wants to learn from him so is automatically out. Being the best of the Aes Sedai (pre Nyn) at anything becomes a much lower ranking as more of the channeling world gets revealed, although it is still impressive just not as much as when Aes Sedai were the only "real" (non wilder) channelers (sarcasim).

Nyn, followed closely by Flinn (though Flinn is pretty amazing as well, and might just be the other side of the coin). Healing is more than just fixing broken legs or curing the cold. Nyn is more than adept enough at both styles of healing (Five power healing and Spirit/Air/Water) to get the job done for ordinary wounds. Just because someone can heal it slightly faster or with more complex weaves doesn't mean the end result changes. Nyn, however, can study an illness that she has never seen and figure out a way to cure it. And once she sees a weave, she remembers it. So, others can maybe get more complex with the 5 power healing, but she just has to watch it once and she can duplicate it for that scenario. Give her some time to study with these other healers and she'll match them. All the time in the world spent with Nyn will not give these other healers the same determination and creativity that Nyn has. Also, healing the body is one thing, healing the mind is another. Nyn obviously has an advantage there. I believe it was Elaine who thought that Nyn would not be happy until she had healed someone 3 days dead (maybe a foreshadowing to Rand?).

good points about Flin.

i disagrea the AoL healing was on subpar the feeling i get is that many things got lost (like medival Europe in compare to Rome)

so now i'm torn 4 way instead of 3 ways :) (hadnt voted yet)

and in best i mean all aspect both "just plain ole who's the best at healing people that are hurt" (nicely said btw :)) ) and innovativly finding cure for unhealable condition /thinking out of the box... and any other aspect i had omitted.

count all the healing aspects give them your priority and who u hink got the best healer score ? :)

To me Semi isn't really in the running. Yeah she was the bees knees in the AoL but there has been far more things done in the current age around healing that were thought to be impossible in the AoL so seems to me like AoL healing was subpar to current healing.

This statement is not even remotely true. One discovery in terms of stilling doesn't off set all of the knowledge lost.

RJ has said that power does not affect Healing Talent. Someone who is low in the Power can be more effective at Healing. But, Healing, as a Talent, is limited to the type of healing. A Talent for Spirit/Air/Water healing does not translate to 5 power healing Talent. Nyn has a decent Talent for both, but even more than that, she is a good at channeling in general. Healing is more than just one type of weave. The Talent(s) of Helaing are too narrowly defined. Healing is more than just closing up a wound or removing tiredness. Healing is problem solving. Nyn has proven to be very good at problem solving. If the 5 power Healing doesn't do the job (as in the case of clensing the taint from a male channeler), then she just uses different weaves until she find something that works. She is like the Macgyver of Healing. She does not limit herself to what has been done in the past.

Healing is more than just closing up a wound or removing tiredness. Healing is problem solving. Nyn has proven to be very good at problem solving. If the 5 power Healing doesn't do the job (as in the case of clensing the taint from a male channeler), then she just uses different weaves until she find something that works. She is like the Macgyver of Healing. She does not limit herself to what has been done in the past.

Yeah, you could be right about the "healing the taint" and other things. Sumeko's talents may be only the Talent of healing physical ailments in the body. Physical wounds and such. Things to do with the taint and the mind might be beyond her ability.

This statement is not even remotely true. One discovery in terms of stilling doesn't off set all of the knowledge lost.

Okay, what could Semi or any other great healer do in the AoL that Nyn or Flinn cannot do?

Despite the fact that I want to desperately chose Damer Flinn (one of my favorite minor characters), have got to go with Nynaeve.

I don't think any one other character has provided more innovations in healing: 5 power healing, healing stilling, treating taint inspired madness, removing compulsion (not a great solution for those under heavy compulsion but still). Not to mention her innovative use of herbs early in the books to assist healing and the like was very useful.

Most importantly its her passion for healing, and her desire to heal everything short of death, that drives these innovations, that push her just past Damer, and well past Sumeko and Samitsu, who may be better and more deft with traditional healing.

Its hard to evaluate Semirhage, but she may be able to do as many or more healing wonders that Nynaeve does, but her lack of desire or empathy limits her desire for either innovation, or willingness to risk herself to do truly great works (I think we all know Nynaeve has one more BIG miracle left in her bag of tricks)

PS... I am not normally a stickler for spelling or grammar (the Good Lord knows that I type way faster than my brain, leaving some garbled sentences in my wake), but it takes special talent to mispell every name in the poll. :wink:

Sumeko for me.

“The Wise Ones learned about Healing from me. And from Nynaeve, I suppose,” she allowed after a moment. Oh, Nynaeve would have gone up like an Illuminator’s firework, hearing that. But then, Sumeko had outstripped Nynaeve long since. “And they did learn the simple form from Aes Sedai.” A snort like ripping canvas showed what Sumeko thought of the “simple” form, the only sort of Healing Aes Sedai had known for thousands of years."

Sumeko for me.

“The Wise Ones learned about Healing from me. And from Nynaeve, I suppose,” she allowed after a moment. Oh, Nynaeve would have gone up like an Illuminator’s firework, hearing that. But then, Sumeko had outstripped Nynaeve long since. “And they did learn the simple form from Aes Sedai.” A snort like ripping canvas showed what Sumeko thought of the “simple” form, the only sort of Healing Aes Sedai had known for thousands of years."

+1

I'd have to go with Flinn.

Not only can he do everything the women know about Healing, he has done it with minimum teaching. Taim taught him a crappy version of healing, and Aginor provided some hints, but apart from that, he has done it largely on his own.

He could do what Samistu - the best AS healer according to Cadsuane - could not and saved Rand's life, sealing his never-healing wounds.

He is the most talented of them all, if that's what we are talking about. Knowledge is another thing, but he is the best talent.

Damer i read WoT translated, so name sp is back engeneering by hearing for me :)), if u want just post the correct spelling and i will edit the correction :) (or if any non lazy mod want to , i wont disagrea :))) ).

Selig TU for finding te quote i had in mind and was to lazy to search for regarding Sumeko :))

This. I have to say Semi is probably the best. She sounds like she was pretty much a Healing prodigy in the AoL. She has so much more knowledge and practice than I think any other Healer alive today, plus so much more pre-established knowledge to have worked from. She was even apparently very skilled and interested in progressive research . . . even if all that research wasn't exactly ethical.

But I think a more fair question would be "who is the best Healer from the Third Age?"

The answer is probably Sumeko. We haven't had any Flinn and Sumeko comparisons, though.

Then again, what's best? Nynaeve is certainly very talented at Healing, even if in the weaving and skill she's worse than Sumeko. However, Nynaeve has made great contributions on the "research" side of Healing. She rediscovered Healing with all five powers (Sumeko did discover this as well, but Nynaeve's discovery was independent of that and I'm guessing was done at a younger age), discovered how to Heal severing, and even discovered how to cleanse the taint-induced madness from men. Nynaeve is certainly better than Sumeko in that she seems to be moving the talent forward, and Nynaeve refuses to accept things as impossible and will likely contribute many m ore discoveries. Flinn also fits this category in some respects.

i intentually included Semi .

i feel that Nyn and Sum are better then run of the mill healer of AoL and are strong candidate for best . (my inital post include the analysis i did on each of them)

and the debate brought some very good points in Felinn case that (in my opinion) make him strong candiate as well :)

so feel free to include Semi in the comparison (she is intended to be in it ) :) .

and feel free to give your own score/priority for the research part and for the skill part :))

i started this thread couse i cant decide it and its interest me to c what other think about this :))

I do find it odd that people are voting for Nyn when the book tells us Sumeko is better....

It's a combination of Nynaeve being a more well known and prominent character - so her achievements are more noted - and her being liked more. Also, people using skewed definitions. Nynaeve might have more innovations to her name than the other Healers, but her ability to actually cure an illness or heal an injury are not as good as some of the others. If people prize innovation more highly than the ability to Heal, then they will vote Nynaeve more than the others.If the correct way of dealing with the problem is not known, Nynaeve has a better chance of finding it than some of the others. But when a solution is known, others are better able to implement the solution than Nynaeve.

Indeed, the meaning of "best healer" in this context is not clear. IT could have any number of meanings.

Semirhage, technically could do the most with healing(when she was alive), however her actual skill may not be that much greater than 3rd Agers.

Sumeko is good, but it seems she can't innovate very well. She can only tweak what Nynaeve discovered.

It is a bit like asking which is the better inventor - Bell, who invented the first telephone, or Steve Jobs for the iPhone.

Also there is the potential and knowledge to take into account. Nynaeve has been busy with other things, Sumeko can spend a great deal of her time devoted to researching Healing. Potentially, Nynaeve could be much better if she had the time, or she may be better at it if Sumeko shared the knowledge with her.

Archived