DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reinforcing an Old Theory (chapter 11)

algspkr

(Chapter 11 Spoilers)

There was a theory posted a long time ago that Mat would take direct control of the Seanchan armies. Several people, including myself, objected to this theory on the grounds that Mat would simply lead the Band, and if he lead the Seanchan it would be indirectly. I no longer believe this to be the case. I am now certain that the original theory is corret. I believe that Mat will kill Galgan:

“General Lunal Galgan,” Jame said. “Head of the Seanchan armies. I can’t make you out, friend. Are you an assassin, or are you here hunting assassins?”

“I’m no bloody assassin,” Mat said, pulling the brim of his hat down and picking up his bundle. “I never kill a man unless he demands it—demands it with screams and thunder so loudly, I figure it would be impolite not to agree to the request. If I stab you, friend, you’ll know that it is coming, and you will know why. I promise you that.”

And then Fortuna will conscript Mat into Galgan's position.

I'm not sure Mat would have to kill Galgan in order to take control of the Seanchan armies. It is at least plausible that the Prince of the Ravens already outranks a Captain-General.

I don't think he would willingly take control of the armies, but he does now want Galgan dead. Although theoretically speaking you are quite possibly correct in him not needing to kill Galgan.

I also do not think that Mat is Prince of the Ravens anymore, I believe that was the title granted to the husband of the Daughter of the Nine Moons, and as Tuon is now Empress, I believe that Mat has a new title.

I'm not sure Mat would have to kill Galgan in order to take control of the Seanchan armies. It is at least plausible that the Prince of the Ravens already outranks a Captain-General.

I don't think he would willingly take control of the armies, but he does now want Galgan dead. Although theoretically speaking you are quite possibly correct in him not needing to kill Galgan.

I also do not think that Mat is Prince of the Ravens anymore, I believe that was the title granted to the husband of the Daughter of the Nine Moons, and as Tuon is now Empress, I believe that Mat has a new title.

She still thinks of him as her Prince of the Ravens, even after she becomes Empress (in ToM ch 47). It would seem that for the moment, his title is unchanged.

And, assuming (because of the publicly known nature of the assassination "attempts") that Fortuona is aware of Galgan's game (whatever it is) and has not chosen to act, I doubt she'll be happy if Mat comes storming in an skewers him.

He may take command unwillingly. Let's not forget that there may be a possible Seanchan fleet (the one with the red sails) that IMO will probably land at, or around Ebou Dar. So battle and chaos will probably ensue and in the confusion he may take charge of the Seanchan loyal to the Empress.

Fred

When has a woman EVER appreciated a man's help in this flaming series?? ;)

Fish

ROFL! Very true. That's why one of my favorite scenes in the whole series is "Small Sacrifices" when Elayne and Nyn are forced to thank Mat.

@algspkr - Yes, I completely agree that Galgan is a dead man. The only thing that seems not to be settled is whether that death is a blow to the Dark (is Galgan a darkfriend or a Forsaken in disguise? Lots of theories discuss these possibilities).

Also, Mat remains Prince of the Ravens. This does not necessarily equal Seanchan Supreme Commander. Prince of the Ravens is an exalted title, for certain, but still only the same as Prince Consort. If Mat is to take his destined spot as Supreme Commander, it's got to be despite Galgan. Tuon would not set Galgan aside, for fear of making a dangerous enemy. She is far too good at the Game of Houses to commit a gaffe of that nature.

So, Mat's got to kill Galgan. No other path seems remotely likely.

I'd be interested to know just how important Prince of the Ravens really is. Is it like VP of USA which is really only midly important? Or is it a person who is expected to act on the behalf of the Empress without others knowing? I mean I'd think the Empress who seems infinitely more important PoR would probably be expected to act because she is the Empress, but nobody really pays attention to PoR. Man, what I would give to know more about Seanchan politics.

Fred

I'd be interested to know just how important Prince of the Ravens really is. Is it like VP of USA which is really only midly important? Or is it a person who is expected to act on the behalf of the Empress without others knowing? I mean I'd think the Empress who seems infinitely more important PoR would probably be expected to act because she is the Empress, but nobody really pays attention to PoR. Man, what I would give to know more about Seanchan politics.

Fred

IMO, he's like Prince Philip. Mostly just a boy toy and sperm donor for her Highness that everyone expects to make funny and totally inappropriate comments at formal occasions. If Mat does more than that, the Seanchan court will be shocked and appalled.

Galgan didn't want her dead last time we saw her. The attempts are more like the Game of Houses. If Matt figures that out, he might not kill him. Galgan may not even fight Matt. He might kneel to him. Matt won't kill a guy on his knees.

Matt may decide that if he takes of the armies, he can make sure they don't attack Tar Valon or anyone else but the shadow.

Fred

Ive always had a feeling it has something to do with the Deathwatch Guards.

I'm pretty sure that The Prince of Ravens does have a bigger meaning than "boytoy". Mainly because it seems to be really hard to survive in the Seanchan order.

Anyway:

Matt kills Galgan for some reason or other, there is some rule about The Prince killing a General that states that he needs to replace him (which hasn't happened in thousands of years) yada yada yada - Mat is forced to lead the Seanchan forces.

@algspkr - Yes, I completely agree that Galgan is a dead man. The only thing that seems not to be settled is whether that death is a blow to the Dark (is Galgan a darkfriend or a Forsaken in disguise? Lots of theories discuss these possibilities).

Also, Mat remains Prince of the Ravens. This does not necessarily equal Seanchan Supreme Commander. Prince of the Ravens is an exalted title, for certain, but still only the same as Prince Consort. If Mat is to take his destined spot as Supreme Commander, it's got to be despite Galgan. Tuon would not set Galgan aside, for fear of making a dangerous enemy. She is far too good at the Game of Houses to commit a gaffe of that nature.

So, Mat's got to kill Galgan. No other path seems remotely likely.

This must happen especially if she is to implement the new changes we feel are coming with the Damane and with her need to secure one side before returning to Seanchan and reestablishing the Empire.

I'm pretty sure that The Prince of Ravens does have a bigger meaning than "boytoy". Mainly because it seems to be really hard to survive in the Seanchan order.

Anyway:

Matt kills Galgan for some reason or other, there is some rule about The Prince killing a General that states that he needs to replace him (which hasn't happened in thousands of years) yada yada yada - Mat is forced to lead the Seanchan forces.

Remember that Fortouna thinks that it will be strange to have a PoR who isn't scheming against her. It makes me think that it is likely that he would have considerable influence. He may even become Emperor if Fortouna were to die. That would explain why we hadn't heard of the PoR before. The old Empress had him killed because he was trying to do the same.

Galgan is only hiring these guys because he respects Tuon, as the highest ranking seachan on this side of the ocean if he didn't it would be a grave insult.

Now that Mat is here, Galgan doesn't need to, because Mat is higher rank

He did it before to prove a point to Tuon. Remember he personally killed all the assassins that he talk to previously. I think he does want to kill her now.

Just some pure speculation, but I think Mat killing Galgan will have a bit more flair than an Thom-like assassination in the night. Or as some have speculated, going up and demanding his place as Prince of Ravens and then Galgan backing off. With all the references to Ebou Dari dueling in Ch 11, it would be fun and fitting if Mat snuck his way into the Palace, revelaing himself during an audience session and demanding a Duel with Galgan in front of Tuon and/or Beslan as the required Seanchan "officials" to bear witness. Of course, throwing a sack of coins on the floor to pay the required Dueling fee. So dramatic they may even skip the paperwork and cooling off period also part of the new Dueling code to let it happen. :)

I'm expecting may to barge into the palace and behead Galgan while in the presence of Tuon and others of the blood. Then he'll have to talk himself out of a punishment because the assassination attempts were all a ruse and mat just ruined all their plans including the attack on the white tower. Being that blunt and acting that rashly is something I could see RJ's mat doing as well as the mat BS writes

Archived