DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Manga/Anime

Toph Beifong

I want to read/watch some manga/anime and I don't know which one. Any recommendations?

I've already finish (or just tried to finish) Bleach, Holic, Evangelion, Mushishi, Monster, Hellsing, Fruits Basket, Nana, Death Note, Kuroshitsuji, Code Geass, Trinity Blood, Blood +, Tsubasa Chronicles, Chobits and Love Hina.

Yea Darker Than Black, Naruto, D. Gray Man (the anime ran out of funding and the artist has a disease that restricts her drawings so the manga is bi-monthly release), G-Gundam, Beelzebub, Full Metal Alchemist, Black Cat, 07-Ghost (another ran out of funding in anime, still going in manga though), Berserk, Devil May Cry, Gun x sword, dragonball, dragonball z, dragonball gt, gungrave, heroic age, yu yu hakusho, samurai champloo, samuri deeper kyo.

Here is a list of what i've watched if you need more :P

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TheMasterDude

• 7 months later...

I loved Darker than Black. 

I'm watching and reading in my free time Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titan). Tomorrow will be released the seventh episode from season one, and the manga is ongoing too -there are almost nine volumes published-. It's a shonen described as a bit bloody. I'm really enjoying it. 

AttackOnTitan.jpg

635872-04_super.jpg

I read Shingeki no kyojin for a while but then stopped for some reason, I plan to start watching the anime because I have heard really good things about it.

As for recommendations... One Piece is by far my favorite manga and I think it's the best shounen out there if you are interested in things like that. I think you will also enjoy reading Berserk, but it's really gory so be warned. Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood) and Soul Eater are both great anime's and I'm also a big fan of Hunter X Hunter. I have also watched Darker than Black and I liked it. I have recently seen The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki and I highly recommend it! It's a fantasy/ slice of life anime movie with a great story.

Escaflowne. You will NOT be disappointed. Or Record of Lodus War. Two of my favorite series. Personally I like anime movies more than series. Armitage the Third, vampire Hunter D, any studio ghibli. Perfect Blue is a really good movie. It's a drama. Not like fantasy or sci do. Really good.

Here's my list:

1)One Piece - Oh gosh, it's just...amazing, that's all. (Also the only Manga I read besides Bleach because I can't wait for Anime =/)

2)Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - I haven't watched this in ages, but I remember it being the most hilarious media I have ever witnessed. (This is the type of show where if it fits your type of humour, you will love it, but otherwise you will just think it's awfully stupid)

3)Hunter x Hunter - Recently started watching the new anime version. I love every scene with Gon and Killua, and the Nen magic system is really cool.

4)Fairy Tail - I have some qualms with Fairy Tail, but it has fun characters and cool artwork. Basically, entertainment.

5)FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I have a lot of respect for FMA. It's not as strictly entertaining as some other Shounens since it focuses more on story than action, but it is without a doubt one of the most deep and emotional shows. In terms of objective quality, I'd probably put it as 2nd. (Still haven't finished the first FMA that diverged from the Manga. Wasn't quite as drawn in as the other series)

6) Dragon Ball Z: Should maybe be higher; it's been awhile since I watched it. Yeah, it does have that whole "power level" syndrome (it started it haha), but, well, it's just so lovable. Being so old, the quality of the art and the fight scenes are rather low compared to modern anime, but it nevertheless never fails to entertain. This is also the only anime that I prefer the dub over the sub. Maybe if I gave the sub more time, I would warm up to it (like I did with One Piece and Naruto), but I've grown so used to the English voices, and they do such an amazing job (the best of the dubs I've listened to; it's like the only dub that doesn't sound corny to me)

As an aside, Dragon Ball GT was kinda bad. Haven't watched Dragon Ball yet.

7) Naruto - Minus filler. The amount of fillers is ridiculous, and they are, for the most part, they are rather low quality. That aside, I really like the ninja world, some of the fights are pretty cool, and it slowly gets better over time imo. Also have a bit of nostalgia for it since it was my first anime.

8) Sword Art Online - I have strong feelings about this show. Basically, when I started watching SAO, I thought it was going to be absolutely amazing. The main character, Kirito, looks BA. The female lead, Asuna, really intrigued me. The artwork, specifically in the fight scenes, was some of the best I'd ever scene. And finally, they're stuck in a video game where they can level up and do other RPG stuff. How cool! And for the first half, that hype continued building. But then...They completely killed the character of Asuna. She became this silly damsel in distress, and they basically removed everything interesting about her so that she and Kirito could get together. One of the worst romances I've ever seen. The other problem was that they moved the plot way too fast as they make it out of the world halfway through so that....they can transfer over to a different world that is about half as interesting.

It was still a good anime, I was just disappointed because I thought it would be great.

9) Magi - I was pleasantly surprised by this anime. I had practically no expectations, and the first few episodes seemed pretty lame, but it has since grown on me fast. Granted, it's only one season in so far, and I still don't know what the plot is going to be, but there's already a vast array of interesting characters, cool magic/art, some interesting conflicts, and some considerable potential for a good show.

10) Bleach - Ah, Bleach. Let's see, it has cool fights. Which is enough for me to enjoy it. But it would be nice if it had some semblance of a plot that made sense.

Some other thoughts:

I've seen some episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and it's awesome. I watched a bit of Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Zatch Bell a while ago, but while I vaguely remember liking them, I don't remember much, and I can't find them online now. I started Inuyasha a bit ago, but it has a lot of episodes, and I got discouraged. Started watching Yugioh for the lolz, but I shortly quit. I've heard a lot of good things about Attack on Titans, will probably watch that soon.

Might be forgetting a couple, but that probably wraps up most of the Anime that I've watched.

<3 Anime/Manga

• Community Administrator

Fruits Basket is only 26. That's a little bit shorter. :P

They have a few that are "movies," which are only an hour or two long. One I've watched, and really liked, was called Gestalt. Or you can try real anime movies, like Origin, which was decent, or Summer Wars, which was adorable!

And if course anything by Studio Ghibli is awesome.

Oh!!! Macross Plus!!!! That movie is awesome! Love the sound track for it.

You should watch Macross Frontier then and the 2 movies that go with it.

Here's my list:

1)One Piece - Oh gosh, it's just...amazing, that's all. (Also the only Manga I read besides Bleach because I can't wait for Anime =/)

2)Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - I haven't watched this in ages, but I remember it being the most hilarious media I have ever witnessed. (This is the type of show where if it fits your type of humour, you will love it, but otherwise you will just think it's awfully stupid)

3)Hunter x Hunter - Recently started watching the new anime version. I love every scene with Gon and Killua, and the Nen magic system is really cool.

4)Fairy Tail - I have some qualms with Fairy Tail, but it has fun characters and cool artwork. Basically, entertainment.

5)FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I have a lot of respect for FMA. It's not as strictly entertaining as some other Shounens since it focuses more on story than action, but it is without a doubt one of the most deep and emotional shows. In terms of objective quality, I'd probably put it as 2nd. (Still haven't finished the first FMA that diverged from the Manga. Wasn't quite as drawn in as the other series)

6) Dragon Ball Z: Should maybe be higher; it's been awhile since I watched it. Yeah, it does have that whole "power level" syndrome (it started it haha), but, well, it's just so lovable. Being so old, the quality of the art and the fight scenes are rather low compared to modern anime, but it nevertheless never fails to entertain. This is also the only anime that I prefer the dub over the sub. Maybe if I gave the sub more time, I would warm up to it (like I did with One Piece and Naruto), but I've grown so used to the English voices, and they do such an amazing job (the best of the dubs I've listened to; it's like the only dub that doesn't sound corny to me)

As an aside, Dragon Ball GT was kinda bad. Haven't watched Dragon Ball yet.

7) Naruto - Minus filler. The amount of fillers is ridiculous, and they are, for the most part, they are rather low quality. That aside, I really like the ninja world, some of the fights are pretty cool, and it slowly gets better over time imo. Also have a bit of nostalgia for it since it was my first anime.

8) Sword Art Online - I have strong feelings about this show. Basically, when I started watching SAO, I thought it was going to be absolutely amazing. The main character, Kirito, looks BA. The female lead, Asuna, really intrigued me. The artwork, specifically in the fight scenes, was some of the best I'd ever scene. And finally, they're stuck in a video game where they can level up and do other RPG stuff. How cool! And for the first half, that hype continued building. But then...They completely killed the character of Asuna. She became this silly damsel in distress, and they basically removed everything interesting about her so that she and Kirito could get together. One of the worst romances I've ever seen. The other problem was that they moved the plot way too fast as they make it out of the world halfway through so that....they can transfer over to a different world that is about half as interesting.

It was still a good anime, I was just disappointed because I thought it would be great.

9) Magi - I was pleasantly surprised by this anime. I had practically no expectations, and the first few episodes seemed pretty lame, but it has since grown on me fast. Granted, it's only one season in so far, and I still don't know what the plot is going to be, but there's already a vast array of interesting characters, cool magic/art, some interesting conflicts, and some considerable potential for a good show.

10) Bleach - Ah, Bleach. Let's see, it has cool fights. Which is enough for me to enjoy it. But it would be nice if it had some semblance of a plot that made sense.

Some other thoughts:

I've seen some episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and it's awesome. I watched a bit of Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Zatch Bell a while ago, but while I vaguely remember liking them, I don't remember much, and I can't find them online now. I started Inuyasha a bit ago, but it has a lot of episodes, and I got discouraged. Started watching Yugioh for the lolz, but I shortly quit. I've heard a lot of good things about Attack on Titans, will probably watch that soon.

Might be forgetting a couple, but that probably wraps up most of the Anime that I've watched.

<3 Anime/Manga

The reason you like the dub version better is because the dub version makes the characters sound more grown up. The original voices are to high pitch for the characters they portray. Take for example Baby from GT (I know you don't like GT but this is the best example) in the english one he is slightly high pitched but with an accent. In the Japanese one he is played by a squecky high pitched girl voice actor. The sound grates on my ears and I actually enjoy GT

Tina watch Please Teacher it's 13 episodes, it's a comedy but it's still highly entertaining.

Also I can't help but notice none of you have mentioned Steins; Gate. That is a shoter series that blows most short series away. Fate Stay Night is another of those.

If you are looking for one to read go Psychic Academy, 12 volumes total and it has action drama and romance. However the anime was shit only covered the first half and was really just shit quality all around

The reason you like the dub version better is because the dub version makes the characters sound more grown up. The original voices are to high pitch for the characters they portray. Take for example Baby from GT (I know you don't like GT but this is the best example) in the english one he is slightly high pitched but with an accent. In the Japanese one he is played by a squecky high pitched girl voice actor. The sound grates on my ears and I actually enjoy GT

Yeah, basically. Pretty much thinking of Goku.

Archived