DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

final chapter of 50k words all RJ?

MarkDiLillo

Okay, there is definately a scene for the end which is RJ written--I HAD thought that Peter told me that it was far smaller than 50,000 words, but I cannot for the life of me find the email, so it's entirely possible I'm completely off base about this.

Possibly its that a chapter containing a scene Jordan wrote is 50k, but I'm really hoping I'm just plain flat wrong. :D

From Brandon's tweets quite a while ago, I was able to estimate RJ's 'ending' at about the same number of words as the Prologue to Lord of Chaos. (a little above 30k)

I had them quoted in some other much older thread on the site, but I can't remember which one. I was happy to hear it, since 30k is still over 3 times the length of "With the Choedan Kal" at the end of WH.

Obviously if his estimate came in low, and it's actually longer, that would be awesome. More RJ = better.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where RJ said the last line in the book is "Nynaeve sniffed."? I'd like to re-read it; but haven't been able to find it in years. Can you imagine it? She's fighting in TAR, trying to bring Lan back like she saw Birgette sent in by Moggy. Moridin gets enlightenment watching her sacrifice everything to be with her life's love and changes her into a Chesapeak Retriever, apologizing to Lan, for doing so and tells him "She's just so hard-headed, and it's the best I can do. Outside of TAR, she'll be fine. The Amyrlin can't call her in to those secret meetings she likes, so, I've given you a gift. Nynaeve sticks her muzzle in Moridin's crotch and... Nyneave sniffs.

Perhaps it was 50K but it needed to be edited down to 30K, simply for continuity reasons. Didn't RJ write the final chapter forever ago, like the first WoT related thing he wrote, ever. And he never changed it. I remember reading something along those lines.

Think you are mixing up a few things here. He said he has always known exactly how it would end. It certainly was not the first thing he ever wrote in the WoT. We do know the ending is all RJ however.

Perhaps it was 50K but it needed to be edited down to 30K, simply for continuity reasons. Didn't RJ write the final chapter forever ago, like the first WoT related thing he wrote, ever. And he never changed it. I remember reading something along those lines.

Think you are mixing up a few things here. He said he has always known exactly how it would end. It certainly was not the first thing he ever wrote in the WoT. We do know the ending is all RJ however.

I see. Nevermind then.

We do know the ending is all RJ however.

However, I have never heard of what constitutes the "ending". One chapter? The last two chapters? The last 3? The final scene? We know there is a chapter that is very long with many viewpoints near the end, but we don't know if it's the last one. Hence my hypothesis. It could have been a 30k chapter but more viewpoints had to be covered so Brandon added 20k's worth of viewpoints in the first half of it. Jason stated: "And there’s that one chapter. Holy smokes, RJ. 50,000 words? Really? Wow". which may imply that RJ wrote it all but is obviously purposely ambiguous.

We do know the ending is all RJ however.

However, I have never heard of what constitutes the "ending". One chapter? The last two chapters? The last 3? The final scene? We know there is a chapter that is very long with many viewpoints near the end, but we don't know if it's the last one. Hence my hypothesis. It could have been a 30k chapter but more viewpoints had to be covered so Brandon added 20k's worth of viewpoints in the first half of it. Jason stated: "And there’s that one chapter. Holy smokes, RJ. 50,000 words? Really? Wow". which may imply that RJ wrote it all but is obviously purposely ambiguous.

The "conclusion" will be all RJ; that is the ending he envisioned when he started the series. Not sure what the word count was but we can take comfort in knowing that what everything written in the Wheel of Time all leads up to is concluded in RJ's writing.

Depends on how you term a 'conclusion'. The RJ-written scene referenced above is not the climax or resolution of the series. This was confirmed to me by Peter.

Well, it's not the climax of the book or of the series. But it is a resolution of some book and series things. There is a more specific word I would use, but I won't say it at this time. The word is just a specific literary term that is nothing to get excited about, but it would be distracting now.

Epilogue?

Makes sense to me. Brandon mentioned the 50+ viewpoints he was writing in a single chapter which has to do with the LB. The end of the book needs to wrap things up (where the characters are after the LB), WoT uses epilogues a lot and Jordon wrote the 'ending', ergo, it's the epilogue.

I hope it's Rand smoking some Two Rivers tabac and listening to Loial talk about the book he wrote.

Depends on how you term a 'conclusion'. The RJ-written scene referenced above is not the climax or resolution of the series. This was confirmed to me by Peter.

Well, it's not the climax of the book or of the series. But it is a resolution of some book and series things. There is a more specific word I would use, but I won't say it at this time. The word is just a specific literary term that is nothing to get excited about, but it would be distracting now.

Dénouement? Anyway, Brandon has talked a bit about this before. I found his comments a little confusing, but I took them to mean that what's referred to as "the ending scene" isn't actually the final scene in the book but the chapter that comes before the epilogue. So the material in the epilogue came from RJ, but was modified to some degree by Brandon.

Southpaw2014 you recently said you were just over 60% finished with AMoL, how much % will RJ's ending take up when you put it in?

BrandSanderson I'm guessing about 10%.

Southpaw2014 is it gonna get slid right in or are you going to adjust it some to fit into how you're leading up to it?

BrandSanderson The ending scene will work fine, no changes. I've targeted things that way, as I didn't want the ending scene to change.

Southpaw2014 I mean I know you're following his outline but has it worked well so far into leading up to that ending scene he has?

BrandSanderson However, he left a TON of 'after the end scene' type stuff that is probably epilogue material. That I'll need to modify.

Archived