DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Place to Say Nice Things About Each Other

Mr Hindley

This probably won't work, but having trawled through a few pages of the 'thisguy BS writing criticism etc.' thread, where there was lots of valid arguments either way but also lots of debate that went beyond being heated, to the point of veering on unpleasantness... That's probably inevitable, and so be it. But wouldn't it be nice to have a thread whose sole purpose is to remind ourselves that we all have lots in common, and the vast majority of people on here are smart, fun, passionate people with something interesting to say. So let's reflect that. And let's not just focus on the 'celebrity' posters, worth of praise though they might be (hi, Luckers!), but the rest of us little folk as well. Has anyone posted something that made you think 'I like that person?' Either for their sharp insight, for making you laugh, or any other reason?

I'll kick things off - I've noticed that TootThatHorn's posts are invariably well-articulated, and maintain a pleasant tone. Far more importantly, I love the comedy randomness of his username.

Who's next? (NB Trolls need not apply. Only unicorns and MyLittlePonies welcome on this thread, thank you.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I a celebrity?

Oh, right...nice things. Hats off to driedraspberry for getting it on the Gawyn thing. It's so rare to find a Gawyn argument where someone has already said what I would have said; it's like a breath of fresh air. I suppose I need to say something nice about someone that doesn't have anything to do with them agreeing with my theories? Um...The Fisher King kindly posted a signing report for a signing he attended over 22 years ago.

[in before the lock...or before the move, whichever it might be. DM is pretty strict about off-topic stuff on the WoT discussion boards, no matter how well-intentioned.]

I'd like to give credit to (in alphabetical order since I'm OCD like that):

David Selig for being the real life equivalent of Charlz Guybon and faithfully defending Elayne from those who would sully the Queen's good name. She doesn't have that many defenders, but you can always count on David to provide a well-reasoned defense.

herid, who much like his namesake usually has insightful things to say.

Our benevolent dictator, Luckers, for patiently herding cats every day and 13x13-ing unsuspecting posters into becoming Cadsuane fans.

Mr Hindley for starting this topic and encouraging us to be more kind to each other. He also has a marvellous chin. :wink:

Neophyte (at least I think that was Neophyte) for coining the name "Graeffalump."

Olver_is_a_Forsaken for alerting us to the fact that Google had released the prologue early to Canadians, which led it being released weeks earlier than planned. Thanks, Olver. We'll even forgive you for spoiling the AMoL finale with your user name.

Peter Ahlstrom for being a helpful source of information (and a great editor/promoter of Dazzle back in the day).

Terez for her encyclopedic WoT knowledge and hard work maintaining the interview database as well as other valuable resources.

Zewe for being a really swell guy (I'll take his word for it).

Our benevolent dictator, Luckers, for patiently herding cats every day and 13x13-ing unsuspecting posters into becoming Cadsuane fans.

The secret is to let them think there will be cookies at the end. Everyone loves cookies.

That is the best way to encourage any behavior. Cookies are our friends.

Whether it gets heated or not, I appreciate this entire website. I look forward to the fan-art fridays, the WoT ifs are fun to read. Many great services are offered through this website, it's where I purchased the prologue, which was great to see that regardless of the leaking of info from the prologue, everyone still insisted on buying the prologue; I couldn't have agreed more on that.

Also I feel like the mods do a great job of keeping the threads on topic, it can't be easy sifting everything to make sure it's on topic and of a tone to be relevant for all ages.

Plus there are some great people here that can nail you with a fact hammer which I love; most of my posts start with "I think it happened like this...", "IIRC...", "Tell me if I'm wrong but..." so it's nice to get a definitive statement so a long road of misinformation isn't traveled.

And to Mr. Hindley, aww shucks, thank you. Glad you never saw the post where I told a guy I hope he trips and falls headfirst in to something sharp lol

Barid Bel Medar, for all around kickass posts and for having a keen, sharp mind.

FarShainMael, for (see above)

yoniy0, for (see above)

herid, for asking the right questions and comming up with decent answers, usually himself

Optimus Prime (you know who you are!), for actually agreeing with most of what I post (very rare..you have to cherish that!)

Elci, for some nice discussion and all-around friendliness

Asha'man Kovan, for being a blunt weapon but with a nice guy underneath I only recently discovered, actually

Mr Ares (can't believe I'm saying this), fur being a blunt weapon and the sharpest occam's razor at the same time. Best discussion have always been with him. (I Don't think I would have said this 5 years ago)

And last, but not least, Suttree, just for being epic.

I miss Hybrid... I hope to collect his soul after AMoL. Chances are slim... but still ;)

I miss GrandpaG, for his dry humor

I have to add Mr Hindley for making this thread.

It's too often that I lose myself in the heated debate...or in the WoT story that I read.

It's good to have an excuse/ someone holding up a mirror -like this topic- to help remind a madman what's truly important over here.

Mr Hindley, it appears that you sir have the courage of the ancient dedicated. If I wasn't lost so deep in the Shadow, I would probably lock arms and start Singing.

Edit:

All the people who add more then just their own thoughts..or who come here for more then their own fun.

By that I mean anyone from spam-monkey leaders over @ the Black Tower (Tina & her army of Tainted nutters) to stand up guys like Maj (in the past atleast, regardless of all the headbutts on WoT topics) & Luckers.

Ive learned a lot about stuff here. I remember my interest in AMOL was really reignited (not that it ever went out) when I discovered that awesome Index by Terez and co. Its one of my favorite places on the net. I love DM Bc it is such an awesome tool to keeping up with all things WOT.

Life is too serious so when I'm here I like topics that might be a bit different..."silly"...probably, and ones that get people to think about the lighter side of all this WOT stuff. Also because there are MANY already here who are MUCH better at analyzing the nuts and bolts of the books.

The staff here will go out of its way for you. The people here are passionate about WOT. Unlike a lot of websites though, they will actually often admit when they are wrong.

I'm good at that because I'm wrong a lot lol!!!

That's all I got! :)

Fish

Olver_is_a_Forsaken for alerting us to the fact that Google had released the prologue early to Canadians, which led it being released weeks earlier than planned. Thanks, Olver. We'll even forgive you for spoiling the AMoL finale with your user name.

I'd like to thank you for setting your location to "Galad's pants". That gave me a chuckle.

On a more serious note I'd like to thank everybody who posted here:

http://www.dragonmou...oerrata-thread/

and in the threads for the books that came before (if they existed).

...because you have helped make sure that new readers who will discover this series in the years to come will not have to suffer through the typos and discontinuities we had to.

Shout-out to:

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ (Brandon Sanderson probably did not use your work as often as he should have).

Apologies to everybody I may have been rude to in the last couple weeks (I was getting plenty of PMs for copies of the prologue and had to say "I will not share/sell copyrighted material" to them all).

EDIT:

You have a fantastically masculine chin.

I'm sure Galad wishes he had your chin Mr Hindley

i do have to say while i dont post that often, i do read the "hot" threads a lot.

and i am impressed by Luckers, Terez, yoniy0 and their extensive WoT knowledge.

oh and i do like the Fisher's and Sut's posts too :) even if i sometimes do not always agree with all of it (though dont get to discuss back with them, dont get too post that often)

Ah, now isn't this nice? Let's all remember this warm fuzzy feeling the next time we're all ripping chunks off each other :)

I'd like to thank you for setting your location to "Galad's pants". That gave me a chuckle.

I hadn't spotted that, but that's made me laugh too. I'm not sure if we're using pants in the American or British context, but it's probably too late for Galad either way once SleepingHour gets that far with him.

EDIT:

You have a fantastically masculine chin.

I'm sure Galad wishes he had your chin Mr Hindley

I should probably confess at this point that, yes - my chin is Demandred.

i do have to say while i dont post that often, i do read the "hot" threads a lot.

and i am impressed by Luckers, Terez, yoniy0 and their extensive WoT knowledge.

oh and i do like the Fisher's and Sut's posts too :) even if i sometimes do not always agree with all of it (though dont get to discuss back with them, dont get too post that often)

Good ones here; And Barid too; confident and humble posts, and this person validated one of my first posts, so that made me feel comfortable to not lurk this forum anymore.

Although they are celebrity posters, I would still mention Terez and Luckers for their immense knowledge of the books. I also really like Suttree's posts for being so passionnate, but absolute favorite poster is Barid Bel Medar. His posts are well written, smart and... often in agreement of what I think but can't find the words to write here...

Barid, and Cow, the Bong guy (really amuses me because my Best Friend who got me into this damn series is from Ohio and recently moved back there), Kovonan are all posters with whom I enjoy posting.

Sutt, although we disagree on a lot, mad props to him for great discussion. Constantly. Luckers and Yon as well.

Thisguy is always amusing. And I like how he says what I'm thinking in a way that I'd never think to word it. Random, I know. I've probably missed too many to name, but oh well.

Archived