DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

CAUTION: Super Spoiler Prologue discussion; Leave the cops out of it :)

TootThatHorn

A borderlander names him "Dreadbane"? If it were a southlander I would understand it but I would assume while it is rare even among Borderlanders to have killed a Myrdraal it is hardly a mythical feat. There must be a thousand Dreadbanes running around.

Somehow I get the feeling that I will hate the Leilwin POV. Why would she decide to become da'covale when she has already decided to leave Seanchan behind, when she was in fact part of kidnapping the Daughter of the Nine Moons? Yes, she would want to make amends, but why would she choose to do that. And to Egwene of all things. She broke her promise to Elayne and Nynaeve not to Egwene and the collar was used on Rand. Either way if she wanted to atone for her actions it should be either to Rand or to Elayne and Nynny. Egwene really doesn't have anything to do with it.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though we don't have the text for this, it has been confirmed that Lielwin is planning to become da'covale to the Amyrlin. While I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see Egwene's face when this is revealed to her, the important thing is that it seems clear Egwene is definitely going to be the major force in the reconciliation with the Seanchan. If her various Dreams and the thematic clues weren't enough, this seals the deal.

Thoughts?

Of course she is going to be. The White Tower is right in the middle of the peace debate. Both Seanchan and White Tower hate each other, almost as much as they hate the Shadow.

A peace cannot be reached until both parties agree to a temporary ceasfire. Tuon and Egwene are the major antagonists in this regard. Someone will need to convince them. In comes Egeanin to help Egwene put a hole in the Seanchan society and help Tuon to accept matters.

I'd say Lielwin POV puts an end to any doubts about who the Seanchan woman is in Egwene's dream.

There were two. Lielwin is certain now to be the Seanchan woman with Egwene confronting Rand. But the woman with the sword on the mountain? She carries a sword, and Egeanin has a cudgel.

You always get this wrong. The dream is not Egwene and a Seanchan woman confronting Rand. It is entirely different. It is Rand confronting Egwene and a Seanchan woman.

TDR,Ch48

Rand confronting her, and the women with her, and one of them was a Seanchan.

It makes matters entirely different.

It could be him confronting Egwene and Tuon, laying down the terms for the Dragon's Peace and forcing them to negotiate (with Mat trying to get as far away as possible).

He is unlikely to confront them about the Seals, he has made up his mind on that, and thinks nothing needs to be discussed.

Somehow I get the feeling that I will hate the Leilwin POV. Why would she decide to become da'covale when she has already decided to leave Seanchan behind, when she was in fact part of kidnapping the Daughter of the Nine Moons? Yes, she would want to make amends, but why would she choose to do that. And to Egwene of all things. She broke her promise to Elayne and Nynaeve not to Egwene and the collar was used on Rand. Either way if she wanted to atone for her actions it should be either to Rand or to Elayne and Nynny. Egwene really doesn't have anything to do with it.

She makes clear in her PoV that she thinks the Seanchan are perpetrating an injustice with the damane system. Who better to combat that than the leader of free channelers?

Of course she is going to be. The White Tower is right in the middle of the peace debate. Both Seanchan and White Tower hate each other, almost as much as they hate the Shadow.

A peace cannot be reached until both parties agree to a temporary ceasfire. Tuon and Egwene are the major antagonists in this regard. Someone will need to convince them. In comes Egeanin to help Egwene put a hole in the Seanchan society and help Tuon to accept matters.

You don't have to convince me. But there are others who have disagreed. This PoV kind of seals the deal.

You always get this wrong. The dream is not Egwene and a Seanchan woman confronting Rand. It is entirely different. It is Rand confronting Egwene and a Seanchan woman.

TDR,Ch48

No it doesn't. You can't have a one sided confrontation. X confronting Y and Y confronting X aren't different.

It could be him confronting Egwene and Tuon, laying down the terms for the Dragon's Peace and forcing them to negotiate (with Mat trying to get as far away as possible).

But given what we know from the Prologue and Aviendha's section in particular, it could be Egwene and Eganin and other women telling Rand he's a raving lunatic if he thinks they should sue for peace with the Seanchan when they collar women. You tell me which is more likely in the near future.

And I don't see how, in your scenario, Tuon will be one of the women with Egwene. If she's with Egwene, the peace is already acheived.

He is unlikely to confront them about the Seals, he has made up his mind on that, and thinks nothing needs to be discussed.

And so it won't be? He made up his mind without knowing some things Egwene knows. Same with her. This will definitely be discussed and argued over.

TDR,Ch48

No it doesn't. You can't have a one sided confrontation. X confronting Y and Y confronting X aren't different.

But given what we know from the Prologue and Aviendha's section in particular, it could be Egwene and Eganin and other women telling Rand he's a raving lunatic if he thinks they should sue for peace with the Seanchan when they collar women. You tell me which is more likely in the near future.

And I don't see how, in your scenario, Tuon will be one of the women with Egwene. If she's with Egwene, the peace is already acheived.

And so it won't be? He made up his mind without knowing some things Egwene knows. Same with her. This will definitely be discussed and argued over.

1. It is different. Egwene and a Seanchan confronting Rand implies that they disagree with him, or something he is planning/doing.

Rand confronting them implies he disagrees with them, or something they are planning/doing.

You see, this is the problem with your misinterpretation. You assume that the women he is confronting are allies. If it was the other way round, then it indeed implies that there is an alliance in confronting Rand. As it is, it just means that Rand is confronting a bunch of women. They could be trying to claw each others' eyes out. You could say "with" implies alliance (and I don't actually completely disagree, it makes sense) But it is not certain, all it says is Rand is confronting a number of women in a group. Which could be confronting them to stop fighting, as Tuon would be "with" Egwene in the group his is confronting.

2. Hey, I actually like the theory you propose with Aviendha. I think that it is entirely likely, the most likely of all. I can see the Wise Ones, Aes Sedai and the one random Seanchan woman being confronted with " You will make peace with the Seanchan, or I will let the DO burn you all."

3.. He won't be doing any confronting is my point. This dream does not relate to the Seals. Not saying it won't be discussed. Indeed, it is likely they will sit down for a discussion, but that does not constitute Rand confronting them. The situation will go a few ways. Rand at the moment doesn't care about anyone's acceptance. He has decided that it is the right thing to do. So them talking can lead to only a few outcomes.

a) Nobody has anything valid to say against it, just objection to the point, and he does it anyway.

b) There is valid information, but he decides to ignore it, and does it anyway.

c) There is valid information, and he decides to take it into account, and change the plan.

d) He manages to convince everyone, and does it with their support.

Yes, he will definitely try to get their support, but he wont confront them and try and "force" them to accept. He will just do it. There is nothing they can blackmail him with. It's not like they will refuse to fight once he has already done it. Any refusal or objection would be them confronting him.

The point is, it is twisting words and it can be misleading. Phrasing in these things is very important, a changed word can alter the entire meaning. Now, I am not necessarily saying that the theory is incompatible, as it is indeed a very possible outcome, but misquoting the dream twists its meaning and makes it all but certain. I don't have a problem with any theory, just that it should use the correct quotes and information.

1. It is different. Egwene and a Seanchan confronting Rand implies that they disagree with him, or something he is planning/doing.

Rand confronting them implies he disagrees with them, or something they are planning/doing.

Or, Rand is confronting them because they disagree with a plan he's proposing, or they're confronting him for disagreeing with something they are proposing. It works out in all four ways, which is why there's no difference made by the phrasing.

You see, this is the problem with your misinterpretation. You assume that the women he is confronting are allies.

I'm not assuming it. I'm deducing it from the "women with her" statement.

If it was the other way round, then it indeed implies that there is an alliance in confronting Rand. As it is, it just means that Rand is confronting a bunch of women.

No it doesn't. Then the sentence would have read, "Rand confronting a bunch of women, and she was among them, as was a Seanchan". That's not what it says. Rand is confronting Egwene. That is the main clause of the sentence. The secondary clause is that there are women with Egwene, and Rand is confronting them too. You can't ignore that they are "with Egwene", and that phrase makes no sense if one of them is her mortal enemy.

They could be trying to claw each others' eyes out. You could say "with" implies alliance (and I don't actually completely disagree, it makes sense) But it is not certain, all it says is Rand is confronting a number of women in a group. Which could be confronting them to stop fighting, as Tuon would be "with" Egwene in the group his is confronting.

How? How would Tuon be one of the women "with" Egwene if they're fighting?

2. Hey, I actually like the theory you propose with Aviendha. I think that it is entirely likely, the most likely of all. I can see the Wise Ones, Aes Sedai and the one random Seanchan woman being confronted with " You will make peace with the Seanchan, or I will let the DO burn you all."

Wasn't this all but certain since ToM?

3.. He won't be doing any confronting is my point. This dream does not relate to the Seals. Not saying it won't be discussed. Indeed, it is likely they will sit down for a discussion, but that does not constitute Rand confronting them. The situation will go a few ways. Rand at the moment doesn't care about anyone's acceptance. He has decided that it is the right thing to do. So them talking can lead to only a few outcomes.

Yeah... the man who doesn't care about Egwene's acceptance explains his plan to Nynaeve and asks her to help him gain Egwene's acceptance...

a) Nobody has anything valid to say against it, just objection to the point, and he does it anyway.

b) There is valid information, but he decides to ignore it, and does it anyway.

c) There is valid information, and he decides to take it into account, and change the plan.

d) He manages to convince everyone, and does it with their support.

You're ignoring an option:

He declares his plan. It makes no sense, and worried, the others refuse to go along with it and work to stop him.

Yes, he will definitely try to get their support, but he wont confront them and try and "force" them to accept. He will just do it. There is nothing they can blackmail him with. It's not like they will refuse to fight once he has already done it. Any refusal or objection would be them confronting him.

What do you mean there's nothing they can blackmail them with? He made it clear he needs the WT. He isn't just being polite. He wouldn't say the same to Nynaeve if he was.

The point is, it is twisting words and it can be misleading. Phrasing in these things is very important, a changed word can alter the entire meaning. Now, I am not necessarily saying that the theory is incompatible, as it is indeed a very possible outcome, but misquoting the dream twists its meaning and makes it all but certain. I don't have a problem with any theory, just that it should use the correct quotes and information.

There is no twisting of words, and the only person misled is you, because you're unnecessarily confusing the terms. There is no implied directionality to a verb like "confront". X confronts Y and Y confronts X are the same. Its no different from saying X faced Y or Y faced X. Both mean the same. Which is why when I'm paraphrasing the quote, I don't bother distinguishing between Rand confronting Egwene and Egwene confronting Rand.

She makes clear in her PoV that she thinks the Seanchan are perpetrating an injustice with the damane system. Who better to combat that than the leader of free channelers?

And how is her becoming property of that leader going to help adress that injustice? It's not as if she is taking responsibility for the actions of her entire people. She does that because she broke her word to Elayne and Nynaeve and caused others harm because of it from what I've seen.

Somehow I get the feeling that I will hate the Leilwin POV.

Shocker ;)

We know Leilwin realized how wrong she was concerning AS. That seemed to be the driving factor in wanting to make amends in serving the WT. Egwene as Amyrlin makes aense.

You should be shocked, because so far I actually rather liked her. In Tanchico she had to hold the fort for her entire gender because she was the only woman around with any kind of brains. Well, other than Moghedien and even Moghedien didn't have a lot of them.

As I said I don't think her making herself property to Egwene makes sense. Leilwin is big on honor, I could see her trying to make up for the promise she broke or for the harm she caused by breaking it. But that promise was to Elayne and Nynaeve as I recall and not to the WT. So she should make it up to them personally or to Rand since he was the one who was hurt because she broke the promise. Egwene as the Amyrlin Seat may be the leader of the AS, but that has nothing to do with her broken word. If she has to make herself property it should be to Elayne and Nynaeve or to Rand.

Edit: About the confrontation debate. Doesn't Leilwin becoming da'covale or even just acting as if she were kind of disqualify her for that role? By becoming property she gives up her identity and her own opinion. She is just an extension of her masters will. So even if she was at Egwene's side she wouldn't say anything. She'd be just an accessory.

The snakes and foxes also lied to moraine by saying they had killed lanfear when it was moridin.

Morindin could have reached the Chamber of Bonds and asked this as one of his wishes. So this could technically be the truth. But we also know they are bloody liars and tricksters...so I don't think think this is technically an incongruity on Brandon Sanderson's part.

There is no twisting of words, and the only person misled is you, because you're unnecessarily confusing the terms. There is no implied directionality to a verb like "confront". X confronts Y and Y confronts X are the same. Its no different from saying X faced Y or Y faced X. Both mean the same. Which is why when I'm paraphrasing the quote, I don't bother distinguishing between Rand confronting Egwene and Egwene confronting Rand.

You are saying that X + Y have a confrontation. This is not what the quote says.

It says:

X is confronting Y + Z.

Let's have a look at it.

Here is the direct quote:

"Confront" : con·front (kschwa.gifn-frubreve.gifntprime.gif)

v. con·front·ed, con·front·ing, con·fronts

v.tr.

1. To come face to face with, especially with defiance or hostility: I wish to confront my accuser in a court of law.

2. To bring face to face with: The defendant was confronted with incontrovertible evidence of guilt.

3. To come up against; encounter: confronted danger at every turn.

Definition of CONFRONT

: to face especially in challenge : oppose <confront an enemy>

a : to cause to meet : bring face-to-face <confront a reader with statistics>

b : to meet face-to-face : encounter <confronted the possibility of failure>

Examples of CONFRONT

1. They confronted the invaders at the shore.

2. She confronted him about his smoking.

3. The country is reluctant to confront its violent past.

4. The photographs confront the viewer with images of desperate poverty.

5. I confronted her with the evidence.

So you are seriously suggesting that all of these are non-directional? All of these are actions by one party on another.

"They confront -> invaders" Invaders are not confronting them. They are being confronted.

"She confronted -> him" He is not confronting her, "she" is initiating the confrontation. He is the one being confronted.

"Rand confronting -> Women" Rand is in the act of confronting -> women.

You could say that perhaps in this case it is a mutual confrontation.

You cannot however, say: There is absolutely no way this is directional. Grammatically, the implication is that Rand initiates the act of confrontation against women. To suggest it can go both ways is an assumption, which changes the direct meaning and is "unnecessarily confusing the terms"

That there is a confrontation is not changed, if that is what you mean. But who initiates it is entirely relevant.

For example it is highly likely Egwene would confront Rand about the Seals, since she wishes to initiate such a confrontation.

However, it is far less likely that Rand would initiate a confrontation on the same subject.

Are you also seriously saying any refusal to help would be taken seriously?

DO you sreiously believe that if anyone objects, and he simply does it anyway, that any sane person would say "Oh, you've done it now, Rand. I am going to leave the world to be destroyed by the Shadow now!"

That is absolutely ludicrous.

A borderlander names him "Dreadbane"? If it were a southlander I would understand it but I would assume while it is rare even among Borderlanders to have killed a Myrdraal it is hardly a mythical feat. There must be a thousand Dreadbanes running around.

Maybe he killed him after being injured by Fade Steel. If so, that's fairly impressive.

Yeah... the man who doesn't care about Egwene's acceptance explains his plan to Nynaeve and asks her to help him gain Egwene's acceptance...

I wouldn't say he doesn't care about her acceptance, but he makes it clear in the epilogue that he's going ahead with his plans no matter what Egwene says. He'd rather she support him, but it's not essential to him.

What do you mean there's nothing they can blackmail them with? He made it clear he needs the WT. He isn't just being polite. He wouldn't say the same to Nynaeve if he was.

And he's also made it clear he's going ahead with or without them. And they have nothing they can use to stop him. How could they withold their help? Once the seals are broken, there's no going back, and Egwene can hardly refuse to fight the shadow. I'm curious, what do you think she can blackmail him with?

You should be shocked, because so far I actually rather liked her.

The shocker is that you won't like the pov because she is trying to help Egwene/AS and make amends for the Seanchan system. Really was just joking regardless...

Suttree, you really have this bad habit of twisting everything that's said into a personal attack of your beloved Egwene and Aes Sedai so you can jump to the rescue wearing nothing but your "Yes Ma'am" t-shirt. My point was that Leilwin becoming Egwene's property doesn't make sense, not that her trying to help the AS or Egwene. And her making amends for the Seanchan system is just stupid. Leilwin is a firm believer in station. She wouldn't arrogate herself by claiming responsibility for the actions of her entire people.

As I said I don't think her making herself property to Egwene makes sense. Leilwin is big on honor, I could see her trying to make up for the promise she broke or for the harm she caused by breaking it. But that promise was to Elayne and Nynaeve as I recall and not to the WT. So she should make it up to them personally or to Rand since he was the one who was hurt because she broke the promise. Egwene as the Amyrlin Seat may be the leader of the AS, but that has nothing to do with her broken word. If she has to make herself property it should be to Elayne and Nynaeve or to Rand.

This I agree with, although it depends what Leilwin is ashamed by. If she's ashamed of how she's treated AS then going to Egwene makes sense. However if she's ashamed because she betrayed Elayne and Nynaeve's trust, then going to Egwene doesn't make any sense at all since she wasn't involved in the whole ordeal. Like you said going to Elayne or Nynaeve, or Rand since he's the one who suffered due to her failure, would be the logical thing to do in this case.

You should be shocked, because so far I actually rather liked her.

The shocker is that you won't like the pov because she is trying to help Egwene/AS and make amends for the Seanchan system. Really was just joking regardless...

Suttree, you really have this bad habit of twisting everything that's said into a personal attack of your beloved Egwene and Aes Sedai so you can jump to the rescue wearing nothing but your "Yes Ma'am" t-shirt. My point was that Leilwin becoming Egwene's property doesn't make sense, not that her trying to help the AS or Egwene. And her making amends for the Seanchan system is just stupid. Leilwin is a firm believer in station. She wouldn't arrogate herself by claiming responsibility for the actions of her entire people.

And we already explained how it does. No need to get all defensive mate, in talking about attacks(not sure why you even bring that up. Heavy conscious?), as I made clear from the start it was a joke. Regardless as you well know Egwene isn't even in my top 5 characters so not sure why you would make the statement above. Don't even try to lump me in with Kael etc. You also know they are the most frequent target of hyperbole so I end up defending them more often than not. I do the same with Rand on the rare times someone goes after him for something that isn't fair.

Btw what is a "yes ma'am" t-shirt? I really only wear Brothers Marshall as I'm on the program for surfing.

http://shop.brothersmarshall.com/

Double Edit: For MA, she was ashamed for the Seanchan's and her own treatment of damane.

Double Edit: For MA, she was ashamed for the Seanchan's and her own treatment of damane.

Well then, as far as I'm concerned, going to Egwene makes perfect sense.

Here is a quote...

My people live with a grave misconception of the world, Bayle. In doing so, they create injustice.

Here is a quote...

My people live with a grave misconception of the world, Bayle. In doing so, they create injustice.

Yeah I read that one. I was sleeping (damn time zones) when the whole thing happened so I guess I missed the prologue. How much were people actually able to read?

Here is a quote...

Yeah I read that one. I was sleeping (damn time zones) when the whole thing happened so I guess I missed the prologue. How much were people actually able to read?

It was more just chunks pieced together from searches on the google book page moved over to the doc. Had the feel of the Cadsuane notes as they were being pieced together but with paragraphs instead of individual words. In some parts there were a few paragraphs from each pov strung together by the time the operation was shut down but that is about it. Quite a number of reveals however just with that...

Here is a quote...

It was more just chunks pieced together from searches on the google book page moved over to the doc. Had the feel of the Cadsuane notes as they were being pieced together but with paragraphs instead of individual words. In some parts there were a few paragraphs from each pov strung together by the time the operation was shut down but that is about it. Quite a number of reveals however just with that...

Yeah, I think I've caught up on all the reveals. Hope Talmanes gets better. Caemlyn looks screwed. Slayer and the red veiled aiel, very intersting. Taim, I admit I didn't think he was raised to full rank of Forsaken, more like highest amongst their pawns. And Demandred, more intriguing than ever. Still no word on Logain though...=(

Wait, why would anyone think Egeanin wanting to help Egwene abolish turning channellers into enslaved pets a bad thing?

I have no idea what is going on here. Her wanting to be made da'colve is different.

(I only saw fragments, so I will put the two possibilities)

1. Egeanin isn't referring to slavery, owning servants and such, but the degradation of channellers turning them into less than human.

2. It is an unconcious thought. All of her life, when someone is indebted, they are made da'colve. It is most liekly her knee jerk reaction to acknowledging her shame and debt. Not any intentional hypocrisy.

edit: re:

Logain: I am looking forward to Logain's fury more than ever. I knew Taim was involved with the Shadow, but the prologue reveals and the Androl PoV really made me hate the guy. I really felt for the first time that Moridin and Taim were truly evil. I mean, not just your typical "bad guy", but truly bloody evil. Moridin's torture in the "Dreamshard" really drove it home, and I could feel the evil in the Androl PoV.

I sincerely hope Logain gets to kill Taim. Rand doesn't really deserve it. He ignored the Black Tower woefully, it was Logain who gave the Light Asha'man hope, who dared to oppose Taim.

Wait, why would anyone think Egeanin wanting to help Egwene abolish turning channellers into enslaved pets a bad thing?

I have no idea what is going on here. Her wanting to be made da'colve is different.

(I only saw fragments, so I will put the two possibilities)

1. Egeanin isn't referring to slavery, owning servants and such, but the degradation of channellers turning them into less than human.

2. It is an unconcious thought. All of her life, when someone is indebted, they are made da'colve. It is most liekly her knee jerk reaction to acknowledging her shame and debt. Not any intentional hypocrisy

I'm not sure but perhaps people were under the impression that Egeaning was actually ashamed of the fact that lost the sad bracelet, and was going to Egwene to apologize for it. Which of course doesn't make any sense why Egeaning going to Egwene was, well, weird.

Archived