DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

CAUTION: Super Spoiler Prologue discussion; Leave the cops out of it :)

TootThatHorn

Dark-haired, the man had the features of a Saldaean—a nose that was faintly hooked, eyes that tilted. He was handsome and tall, and Moghedien recognized him. "The leader of those fledgling male Aes Sedai? I know this man, Mazri—"

"That name has been discarded," Moridin said. "Just as each of us, upon being Chosen, discarded what we were and the names men called us. From this moment on, this man shall be known only as M'Hael. One of the Chosen."

"Chosen?" Hessalam seemed to choke on the word. "This child? He—" She cut off.

So Sanderson continues his irritating habit of so often writing one sentence too many. "One of the chosen." OK, thanks for the inclusion of that too-frank bit of writing to make it clearer for us what wasn't already implied by the preceding sentence.

If that sounds like an overreaction to a small excerpt, I only notice this as just another of countless examples of this sort of thing that has been around in his earlier stuff but hasn't really ever gotten better.

Just try it: Remove the offending sentence. The whole thing then flows so much better.

Good call...it's gotten fairly egregious at this point.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which makes his relationship with Demandred interesting. You'll note that both Graeffalump and the Moggyrachnid express some degree of surprise at his elevation. Demandred doesn't twitch - it's almost as if he knew.

Best names ever.

I have to agree, with both quotes :laugh:

I am seriously going to refer to them with these names from now on. Might have to wait to use Graeffelump, but Moggyrachnid is going straight into the General discussion aswell.

On a side note have we ever actually seen Slayer go in or out of TAR? I'm curious how he does it and how it ties in to his two personas.

I'm not sure which book - I believe it's either the one before CoT or the one before that, he chooses to either leave or enter TAR (I'm sorry, I can't remember) to hunt wolves. I believe he chooses to appear as Luc and even comments that Isam likes hunting wolves even more than Luc.

It helps to just choose the most egregious (for me, in this case, dreamshards) and ignore the rest.

I hope dreamshards came from the notes. Because if I were Harriet and he came to me with that I would just be like "No, Brandon."

Aaaand I just got a fortunate e-mail.

Good to see that the nitpicking has already begun.

Calling out Brandon on consistently not trusting readers to reach conclusions leading to this type of repeated blunt writing is hardly nitpicking. It's somewhat rare at this point for us not be sledge hammered between the eyes in a situation like the one above

It might be far more helpful SuperFade instead of sniping from the shadows every time somene makes a reasoned critique, to instead attempt to point out why they are not correct. Good luck on this one though(granted you may have been referring to one of the other comments)....if people don't get Nortune's point I don't even no where to begin. It's already a lost cause.

Dark-haired, the man had the features of a Saldaean—a nose that was faintly hooked, eyes that tilted. He was handsome and tall, and Moghedien recognized him. "The leader of those fledgling male Aes Sedai? I know this man, Mazri—"

"That name has been discarded," Moridin said. "Just as each of us, upon being Chosen, discarded what we were and the names men called us. From this moment on, this man shall be known only as M'Hael. One of the Chosen."

"Chosen?" Hessalam seemed to choke on the word. "This child? He—" She cut off.

So Sanderson continues his irritating habit of so often writing one sentence too many. "One of the chosen." OK, thanks for the inclusion of that too-frank bit of writing to make it clearer for us what wasn't already implied by the preceding sentence.

If that sounds like an overreaction to a small excerpt, I only notice this as just another of countless examples of this sort of thing that has been around in his earlier stuff but hasn't really ever gotten better.

Just try it: Remove the offending sentence. The whole thing then flows so much better.

Good call...it's gotten fairly egregious at this point.

Well, I'm still a book away from BS's work. However, I don't see the big deal about this one line. And, considering the books seem to have a lot of people with a lot of question, maybe it's not a big deal to just say instead of imply; he's Chosen.

Well, I'm still a book away from BS's work. However, I don't see the big deal about this one line. And, considering the books seem to have a lot of people with a lot of question, maybe it's not a big deal to just say instead of imply; he's Chosen.

Well yeah, if it was just that one line it wouldn't really be a big deal. But as you will soon find out it happens constantly.

As for the second part you don't think "That name has been discarded," Moridin said. "Just as each of us, upon being Chosen, discarded what we were and the names men called us. From this moment on, this man shall be known only as M'Hael" is saying he is chosen?

Now that I think about it.... Olver is not mentioned at all.

He is a FORSAKEN!!! :baalzamon:

Ok, on a more serious note: I may have found another place where the prologue can be purchased. It looks like it's Canada only again. Send me a PM if you have a Canadian credit card linked to a Canadian address. Must have at least 1 post and you must have joined before Sept 16th so I know you're not here just to spoil the fun. I am not sure this other location will work. If it doesn't. I WILL NOT SEND YOU THE PROLOGUE. Do not PM me for a copy.

Well yeah, if it was just that one line it wouldn't really be a big deal. But as you will soon find out it happens constantly.

As for the second part you don't think "That name has been discarded," Moridin said. "Just as each of us, upon being Chosen, discarded what we were and the names men called us. From this moment on, this man shall be known only as M'Hael" is saying he is chosen?

I get it. It was already obvious from what's written there. It just didn't really bother me. It's almost like how you'd write an essay, summing up what you've already said at the end. Hahaha

Calling out Brandon on consistently not trusting readers to reach conclusions leading to this type of repeated blunt writing is hardly nitpicking. It's somewhat rare at this point for us not be sledge hammered between the eyes in a situation like the one above

It might be far more helpful SuperFade instead of sniping from the shadows every time somene makes a reasoned critique, to instead attempt to point out why they are not correct. Good luck on this one though(granted you may have been referring to one of the other comments)....if people don't get Nortune's point I don't even no where to begin. It's already a lost cause.

More like, listening to people complaining about it is starting to get quite old. I doubt very much he was disagreeing, but rather he's simply annoyed by people constant whine, because frankly, it's what it has turned into, nothing more than negative whine.

I get it. It was already obvious from what's written there. It just didn't really bother me. It's almost like how you'd write an essay, summing up what you've already said at the end. Hahaha

Brandon must think his readers are brain-dead. Consider this gem from The Gathering Storm.

Immediately, a ball of fire whooshed in their direction. Mat cursed, throwing himself backward and into Talmanes, narrowly avoiding the fire.

"She's not a woman, Talmanes," Mat whispered warningly. "She's an Aes Sedai. Don't think of her as a woman."

"I'm trying, Mat," Talmanes said. "But it's hard." He hesitated, then added, "Burn me."

"Be careful or she will," Mat said, tugging his hat down slightly in the front. "In fact, she nearly did that just a moment ago."

1290111456351_zps929b2b12.jpg

Do you... Do you see what he did there? Because she just shot fire at them. And fire burns things. Because it's hot.

More on topic:

I am kind of annoyed that Olver wasn't mentioned even a little. His last paragraphs from ToM

After Cairhien, Olver had sworn to himself that he would never prove himself a coward again. He gripped the large knife in two hands, knuckles white, then dashed out of the tent.

It was time to fight.

Well???? What happened?

More like, listening to people complaining about it is starting to get quite old. I doubt very much he was disagreeing, but rather he's simply annoyed by people constant whine, because frankly, it's what it has turned into, nothing more than negative whine.

Actually it's valid commentary on the prologue. The point being made was spot on correct as well. Again it's a sad state of affairs when critique is branded "hating" or "whining". Someone quoting a section and quite rightly pointing out the flaws definitely does not fall under either of those categories(especially when said flaw has been repeated over and over). In addition where else would someone post their thoughts on this topic. What is whining is focusing on the poster instead of the actual text. Again if you disagree state why, calling out someone making a literary comment on a board dedicated to books just comes across as quite odd.

I mean how silly does it sound to be saying you may agree with the critique and yet even though it's brand new material you are tired of people judging it already? That is what one does when new material is released after all. You have to be able to differentiate between baseless complaints and valid critisiscm after all. If it was just mindless bashing I would make a point of calling that out. As is it's as if people take personnel offense to posters not liking parts of Brandon's writing/pointing out issues they don't see or have a problem with.

Quick note guys, please don't try and solicit an actual copy of the prologue on Dragonmount. The material is out there, and therefore we have no problem with you discussing it here, but actually trying to solicit people to go further in breaking the embargo is crossing the line.

Actually it's valid commentary on the prologue. The point being made was spot on correct as well. Again it's a sad state of affairs when critique is branded "hating" or "whining". Someone quoting a section and quite rightly pointing out the flaws definitely does not fall under either of those categories(especially when said flaw has been repeated over and over). In addition where else would someone post their thoughts on this topic. What is whining is focusing on the poster instead of the actual text. Again if you disagree state why, calling out someone making a literary comment on a board dedicated to books just comes across as quite odd.

I mean how silly does it sound to be saying you may agree with the critique and yet even though it's brand new material you are tired of people judging it already? That is what one does when new material is released after all. You have to be able to differentiate between baseless complaints and valid critisiscm after all. If it was just mindless bashing I would make a point of calling that out. As is it's as if people take personnel offense to posters not liking parts of Brandon's writing/pointing out issues they don't see or have a problem with.

You see, that is where the nitpicking is coming in, when people spends so much time and energy on finding errors and faults, just so they can complain about it. It's the same we've had to listen to ever since BS took over. So while the material might be new, the complaints are the exact same, which makes them sound like a broken record by now. What people could do was to make another thread where they list every single thing they have an issue with, and discuss it with people who have an equal fondness of complaining and nitpicking. And instead leave this thread for actual discussing the details of the prologue, and not the prose.

You see, that is where the nitpicking is coming in, when people spends so much time and energy on finding errors and faults, just so they can complain about it. It's the same we've had to listen to ever since BS took over. So while the material might be new, the complaints are the exact same, which makes them sound like a broken record by now. What people could do was to make another thread where they list every single thing they have an issue with, and discuss it with people who have an equal fondness of complaining and nitpicking. And instead leave this thread for actual discussing the details of the prologue, and not the prose.

I admire the presentation of this comment, as if either time or energy need be spent to find such things.

I will say this, though. The Prologue was better than I was expecting, and I near to downright love the Slayer PoV.

On the other side of the road, he surveyed the burning city, waiting for his men to catch up. He could have mounted all of them

*giggles*

I was hoping that particular character would be revealed in a more subtle fashion.

BAHAHAHA

Archived