DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

People reborn

matisawesome

Ughh

:laugh:

We have confirmation that Olver is not Gaidal Cain reborn. For one, he is much too old. Olver is like 8, and Gaidal was not spun out until less than a year from the present time in the books.

INTERVIEW: Jan 16th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tim Kington (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

ROBERT JORDAN

No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

QUESTION

He's too old.

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes. Time in Tel'aran'rhiod and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in Tel'aran'rhiod, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should have used that tired old quote that goes somewhat like "A butterfly flaps it's wings and causes an earthquake on the other side of the world."

LOL ... I wrote a line about the butterfly effect, then wrote another about how I hate that theory but it seems to fit here ... then just edited the whole thing out.

I believe Moridin uses that old line when the girls leave Tylin's palace.

He should have used that tired old quote that goes somewhat like "A butterfly flaps it's wings and causes an earthquake on the other side of the world."

LOL ... I wrote a line about the butterfly effect, then wrote another about how I hate that theory but it seems to fit here ... then just edited the whole thing out.

I believe Moridin uses that old line when the girls leave Tylin's palace.

He uses it in WH, when they meet after learning Rand is going to try and Cleanse Saidin.

Winter's Heart: Wonderful News

"Small, apparently unimportant matters can become very important... This rat. Whether Isam succeeds in finding and killing that other vermin, Fain. A word whispered in the wrong ear, or not spoken to the right. A butterfly stirs its wings on a branch, and on the other side of the world a mountain collapses."

Aw, sorry if I made someone ill, I haven't done loads of research, I'm just a dabbler - I'll leave you professionals alone then.

Thanks for the complete response!

No need to worry about that, people are always happy to answer questions! Welcome to Dragonmount, hope you enjoy it !

The Olver question is somewhat funny, since it is a theory that has been dismissed by RJ for years now. However, it always pops up at least a few times a week, a quick search will show just how many times this has had to be answered. No fault on your part, just something that is funny after a while :smile:

While there is no harm in asking questions, somebody will always be happy to answer them, you may want to have a little look through this database which contains many pieces of information RJ and Brandon have answered about the series over the years. It is remarkably easy to use, so you dont have to study pages and pages of quotes, just have a look at the tag which your question is likely to be in (such as the olver tag, for the olver/cain question) and have a look. (to make it easier, you can use the CTRL F to narrow the serach). http://www.theoryland.com/wheel-of-time-interview-search.php

It will save you time and witty responses from members, not to mention it has many interesting pieces not available in the text.

Another theory most common, which has been debunked by RJ several times, one which will create similar tired response is Demandred/Taim. No, Demandred is not and never has been Taim.

Isn't ability to channel linked to the soul? I would think Latra would be stronger in the power than Eggy.

Even so, I do think it's rather bland to make them all famous ppl reborn. I thought a theme in the series was that you diverge vastly from one life to next. And ordinary souls could possibly become new HotH recruits. The three ta'veren is where I draw the line.

Isn't ability to channel linked to the soul? I would think Latra would be stronger in the power than Eggy.

Even so, I do think it's rather bland to make them all famous ppl reborn. I thought a theme in the series was that you diverge vastly from one life to next. And ordinary souls could possibly become new HotH recruits. The three ta'veren is where I draw the line.

I agree. Even Birgitte said she lead boring lives. I'm guessing it can be the opposite for people - a lot of boring regular lives and some not so boring and irregular and stuff and more stuff.

It seems that some would not be satisfied to know that main people are not the reborn souls of others. I feel ike it's one of those things that we're never going to know for sure, so it's left open for interpretation, but don't the books up to this point lend to it already? It compliments the idea of an interwoven tapestry that is the pattern already, I mean look at the word PATTERN, it begs for it already and I don't think it takes away from the story line but adds to the intricacy of the ages already. To have a problem with this to me is to have a problem with a constant champion of the light fighting a constant champion of the dark ( which is who i think Ishy is meant to be).

Aw, sorry if I made someone ill, I haven't done loads of research, I'm just a dabbler - I'll leave you professionals alone then.

Thanks for the complete response!

I'm just messin with ya bud. Like BBM said, it's just one of those things that has been laid to rest for a long time but still crops up once or twice a week. I've been here for five years, so, you do the math. ; ]

Imagine being reborn as the dude who cleans up after elephants in a circus every life? Or, the guy that has to clean out the toilets in a palace. These people do not have running water and plumbing.

I think thats what the really weak Aes Sedai should be used for...menial tasks. channel some water to bidet the king, and a poof of air to dry.

if your strength is earth - you got latrine duty.

Imagine being reborn as the dude who cleans up after elephants in a circus every life? Or, the guy that has to clean out the toilets in a palace. These people do not have running water and plumbing.

I think thats what the really weak Aes Sedai should be used for...menial tasks. channel some water to bidet the king, and a poof of air to dry.

Brown Ajah

Nice!

Archived