DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan

LoLPoR

Has anyone discussed what Setalle Anan's role might be in the next book or if she will have one. The burned out Aes Sedai is still in the Caemlyn area as far as I know. I like the idea of a burned out Aes Sedai coming back and reeking havoc but I feel like she might get skipped over in the last book.

It may be that her role with have nothing to do with the One Power. She may just play a part ion whatever mischief Olver will get up to. She will probably be the one watching over him (or trying to) if The Band will be busy fighting Trollocs.

But I agree, I would love to see her sniff disdainfully, cross her arms beneath her breasts, and kick some Dark Friend tail!

Yeah this is one of the more interesting questions. I tend to think being burned out may very well be unhealable. With Siuan and Leane there is something to "reconnect" and they could feel emotions through the A'dam. With Setalle that did not seem to be the case. I don't think there is anything left to reconnect.

Her relationship with Tuon could be the key thing rather than her channeling ability.

I agree. Tuon is always saying she needs to find a new Truthspeaker. I believe Setalle will go with Mat if/when he meets up with Tuon, and Setalle will become Truthspeaker. The two women spent a lot of time together during their escape from Altara, and Tuon has already taken some of Setalle's advice.

Her relationship with Tuon could be the key thing rather than her channeling ability.

I agree. Tuon is always saying she needs to find a new Truthspeaker. I believe Setalle will go with Mat if/when he meets up with Tuon, and Setalle will become Truthspeaker. The two women spent a lot of time together during their escape from Altara, and Tuon has already taken some of Setalle's advice.

Well, actually, doesn't Foruona keep thinking that she needs a new Voice? I think she wants to keep Selucia as her Truthspeaker ...

Well, actually, doesn't Foruona keep thinking that she needs a new Voice? I think she wants to keep Selucia as her Truthspeaker ...

I'm remembering the scene where Eliada shows Tuon the ability to channel, and Selucia is playing both her Voice (which she did previously) and Truthspeaker (which Semhirage (sp) was doing previously). It was Selucia stepping out of character to act as Truthspeaker that made Tuon uncomfortable. A similar dialogue may have happened when Tuon was presented with the initial strike on the White Tower in ToM (I think).

But, I could be wrong. First person to find the appropriate quote in ToM wins? Either way, I believe Setalle will fill the role Tuon is looking for.

I'm remembering the scene where Eliada shows Tuon the ability to channel, and Selucia is playing both her Voice (which she did previously) and Truthspeaker (which Semhirage (sp) was doing previously). It was Selucia stepping out of character to act as Truthspeaker that made Tuon uncomfortable. A similar dialogue may have happened when Tuon was presented with the initial strike on the White Tower in ToM (I think).

But, I could be wrong. First person to find the appropriate quote in ToM wins? Either way, I believe Setalle will fill the role Tuon is looking for.

That's the same scene I'm thinking about. Fortuona doesn't like having Selucia as both Voice and Truthspeaker, but I thought she wanted a new Voice, not a new Truthspeaker. A Voice just repeats what she signals. A Truthspeaker is meant to provide valuable counsel, and be thoroughly familiar with the Empress. I don't really think there is anyone closer to Fortuona than Selucia, or anyone whose opinion she values more.

Edit: Update - just checked my copy of ToM. In chapter 47 Fortuona thinks to herself:

She [selucia] was now speaking in her role as Truthspeaker. Yes, another would have to be chosen to be Fortuona's voice.

So, Fortuona does indeed wish to retain Selucia as Truthspeaker, and have a different Voice. That doesn't preclude Setalle Anan from taking on such a role - something could happen to Selucia. But it doesn't seem very likely at this juncture.

Well she has studied 40(?) years on angrael. What if the 'flaw' in callandor is actually not supposed to be in it, as in, it is really a flaw instead of some cheeky means to get it to work. I can imagine seeing elayne and Rand together, then Setalle going, wth is wrong with that little sword? Then she and Elayne (the angreal chicks) fixing it.

In THR, early in the book, they are questioning the darkfriends Amico and Joiya. Aviendah asks why the stilled one looks different and they tell her there are 3 words for what happens when a person cannot channel anomore. Stilling, gentlling, and burned out. They say that being burned out is the same as accidently stilling yourself. So can it be Healed? I sure hope so!

I also like the idea of Setelle becoming Truthspeaker--it was an old theory of mine, from back after KoD came out, to the extent that I was actually surprised when Selucia was named to the position. In the long run I thought Setelle was to set the path for Aes Sedai serving as Truthspeaker to the Empress in the future, which was what I thought would be the fulfillment of Min's viewing of the stylized Raven (tattoo) around Carlinya. *sigh* There was such poetry to the idea. Oh well.

As for her being healed, based on what happened to Ronaille, Sashelle and Irgaine, I actually think there is some evidence to suggest Burning Out IS healable.

As for her being healed, based on what happened to Ronaille, Sashelle and Irgaine, I actually think there is some evidence to suggest Burning Out IS healable.

Those three weren't stilled? I always thought that, although I haven't done a reread in a bit so I could just be going off what it says at Encyclopedia WoT.

Those three weren't stilled? I always thought that, although I haven't done a reread in a bit so I could just be going off what it says at Encyclopedia WoT.

It was termed as stilled because Rand did it to them, but in reality what occurred was that he over-stressed their abilities by crushing weaves they were holding in fists of spirit--this has far more in common with what occurs with the misuse of a ter'angreal (read the scene where Egwene touches the broken Access Key) than it does with the knife-like weave that Nynaeve describes (which is the one specifically cited to result in leaving a person able to sense the source [i.e. this isn't simply an issue of that being the male method of stilling]).

So yes, its circumstantial but relatively solid.

Edit to add: There is also some very limited evidence in the fact that the Aes Sedai apparently believe that burning out can be healed--Egwene states that it is harder to make the novices maintain a slow pace now they need not fear it.

This could very easily be the Aes Sedai making assumptions, or it could be indicative that this has already ocurred--certainly the Aes Sedai are very aware of the differences between burning out and being stilled.

My guess is Callandor can channel the True Power. The taint was the true power

HUH?! I don't know about the Callandor part but the taint being the true power part is a great thought! Nice one.

Hmmm... I would say not because the taint is supposed to be disgusting and horrible, countering the addictiveness of saidin, while the TP is incredibly addictive. Though I guess there could be an argument for the TP being in contact with the OP and therefore the TP is somewhat affected, only leaving a nasty taste behind, but I still doubt it.

I don't know if I like the idea of Callandor channeling the TP. It was supposed to be flawed by accident and I find it hard to believe that you could accidently make a sa'angreal work for the TP. It seems a little comic booky to me, like getting hit with gamma radiation turning Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

I don't know if I like the idea of Callandor channeling the TP. It was supposed to be flawed by accident and I find it hard to believe that you could accidently make a sa'angreal work for the TP. It seems a little comic booky to me, like getting hit with gamma radiation turning Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

That would be a pretty crazy "manufacturing" flaw!

It was termed as stilled because Rand did it to them, but in reality what occurred was that he over-stressed their abilities by crushing weaves they were holding in fists of spirit--this has far more in common with what occurs with the misuse of a ter'angreal (read the scene where Egwene touches the broken Access Key) than it does with the knife-like weave that Nynaeve describes (which is the one specifically cited to result in leaving a person able to sense the source [i.e. this isn't simply an issue of that being the male method of stilling]).

So yes, its circumstantial but relatively solid.

Edit to add: There is also some very limited evidence in the fact that the Aes Sedai apparently believe that burning out can be healed--Egwene states that it is harder to make the novices maintain a slow pace now they need not fear it.

This could very easily be the Aes Sedai making assumptions, or it could be indicative that this has already ocurred--certainly the Aes Sedai are very aware of the differences between burning out and being stilled.

Nice one!!!

I'll add a little more, it's been suggested that Burned out women can still sense the source as well, which is why they lose the urge to continue living as well. If they couldn't sense the source anymore, the sense of loss wouldn't be as sharp as in those who are stilled.

Archived