DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan

LoLPoR

I don't know if I like the idea of Callandor channeling the TP. It was supposed to be flawed by accident and I find it hard to believe that you could accidently make a sa'angreal work for the TP. It seems a little comic booky to me, like getting hit with gamma radiation turning Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

Didn't a quote say the reason for the lack of buffer was that they were churning out so many San'angreal and Angreal, some were bound to be a rush job? My question is, if you're making the 3rd most powerful San'Angreal ever created for a man, why the heck would you rush that?

Anyway, if it was rushed, I could see how a potential unwanted side affect like that could sneak up. (Although still doesn't answer why the hell you're rushing, I mean I can't imagine it only took one person to make the 3rd most powerful San'Angreal in history)

As for her being healed, based on what happened to Ronaille, Sashelle and Irgaine, I actually think there is some evidence to suggest Burning Out IS healable.

Those three weren't stilled? I always thought that, although I haven't done a reread in a bit so I could just be going off what it says at Encyclopedia WoT.

It was termed as stilled because Rand did it to them, but in reality what occurred was that he over-stressed their abilities by crushing weaves they were holding in fists of spirit--this has far more in common with what occurs with the misuse of a ter'angreal (read the scene where Egwene touches the broken Access Key) than it does with the knife-like weave that Nynaeve describes (which is the one specifically cited to result in leaving a person able to sense the source [i.e. this isn't simply an issue of that being the male method of stilling]).

So yes, its circumstantial but relatively solid.

Edit to add: There is also some very limited evidence in the fact that the Aes Sedai apparently believe that burning out can be healed--Egwene states that it is harder to make the novices maintain a slow pace now they need not fear it.

This could very easily be the Aes Sedai making assumptions, or it could be indicative that this has already ocurred--certainly the Aes Sedai are very aware of the differences between burning out and being stilled.

Nice one!!!

I'll add a little more, it's been suggested that Burned out women can still sense the source as well, which is why they lose the urge to continue living as well. If they couldn't sense the source anymore, the sense of loss wouldn't be as sharp as in those who are stilled.

No, we know burn outs cannot sense the source. It is only those severed using the knife-like weave Nynaeve describes in tSR who retain the ability to sense the source (as per the glossary).

Edit: Update - just checked my copy of ToM. In chapter 47 Fortuona thinks to herself:

She [selucia] was now speaking in her role as Truthspeaker. Yes, another would have to be chosen to be Fortuona's voice.

So, Fortuona does indeed wish to retain Selucia as Truthspeaker, and have a different Voice. That doesn't preclude Setalle Anan from taking on such a role - something could happen to Selucia. But it doesn't seem very likely at this juncture.

Thanks for digging up a quote, Neo. I guess in my mind I was thinking it would be easier to replace a truthspeaker (a person who's opinion Tuon trusted) than a Voice (who has to be trained to learn all the signals).

I still think Setalle heads back to Ebo Dar, though. She was asking to Travel somewhere when Mat got sidetracked talking about boots. Well, maybe Illian to find her family, but it could work!

Ah, I found the reason why I think Setalle could be Tuon's Truthspeaker.

tGS, Chapter 19:

Tuon binked in surprise. Yes, she realized. Selucia is my Truthspeaker now. It would take time to accustom herself to the woman in that role. It had been years since Selucia had corrected or reproved her in public.

For Tuon, it would be easier to keep Selucia as Voice, which she has always been, than have Selucia as Truthspeaker and find a new Voice. Of course, this contradicts the quote Neo pulled up earlier; I guess we'll have to RAFO. If I had to bet, I'd stick with Setalle as becoming Truthspeaker.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

As for her being healed, based on what happened to Ronaille, Sashelle and Irgaine, I actually think there is some evidence to suggest Burning Out IS healable.

Those three weren't stilled? I always thought that, although I haven't done a reread in a bit so I could just be going off what it says at Encyclopedia WoT.

It was termed as stilled because Rand did it to them, but in reality what occurred was that he over-stressed their abilities by crushing weaves they were holding in fists of spirit--this has far more in common with what occurs with the misuse of a ter'angreal (read the scene where Egwene touches the broken Access Key) than it does with the knife-like weave that Nynaeve describes (which is the one specifically cited to result in leaving a person able to sense the source [i.e. this isn't simply an issue of that being the male method of stilling]).

Edit to add: There is also some very limited evidence in the fact that the Aes Sedai apparently believe that burning out can be healed--Egwene states that it is harder to make the novices maintain a slow pace now they need not fear it.

This could very easily be the Aes Sedai making assumptions, or it could be indicative that this has already ocurred--certainly the Aes Sedai are very aware of the differences between burning out and being stilled.

Nice one!!!

I'll add a little more, it's been suggested that Burned out women can still sense the source as well, which is why they lose the urge to continue living as well. If they couldn't sense the source anymore, the sense of loss wouldn't be as sharp as in those who are stilled.

No, we know burn outs cannot sense the source. It is only those severed using the knife-like weave Nynaeve describes in tSR who retain the ability to sense the source (as per the glossary).

Is "The glossary" a book, or a glossary in a particular book? Can you point that out please. Thanks.

I see no difference between someone stilling another, or via burning out, they do it to themselves especially with Ter'angreal. It is nothing more than threading power into an object already powered, so you blow a fuse (melt the thin metal bridge). All Nyn did was restore that bridge with Logain fully, and Siuan and Leana partially. I also think a male Ashaman can repair Siuan and Leana's fully.

Nice one!!!

Is "The glossary" a book, or a glossary in a particular book? Can you point that out please. Thanks.

The glossaries kept at the end of each book. I'm not sure specifically which one this is in--it's under stilling and burning out and contains the facts that burn outs cannot sense the source, whilst those who have been stilled by the method the Aes Sedai (specifically) use still can.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think Setalle Anan will play a huge part in AMOL, heres a possible turn of events.

Elayne, at the gathering in FoM has heard of the attack on Caemlyn and has returned with her army, Rand has sent his Loyal Asha'mem to help too led by Logain.

The Band have cleared the streets and city and the Trollocs just hold the palace when they get there. But Setalle has rushed into the city to find Oliver,

After the Battle of Caemlyn Setalle Anan is found injured and unconscious by an Asha'man and healed....Fully

She awakes as Martine Janata.

They realise that during the battle that the palace was ransacked, the trollocs and Fades were looking for something... Elayne's stash of Angreal, Sa'angreal and Ter'angreal.

With her Talent to read them along with Elaynes notes they know what each can do..

As thanks for saving Caemlyn Elayne gives some to the Asha'man these will help cleanse the BT (maybe something to break the DO's hold on them, break the 13x13, or just knock out everyone in the tower at once),

Talmanes manages to get one for the Band as payment for clearing the city of shadowspawn (maybe the dice one so the whole band can have some of Mat's luck even if he's not there)

But there is one Setalla/Martine recognises, it's the one she went to Ebou Dar to find in the first place to give her life purpose after been stilled,(before getting side tracked by a husband and kids)

and this she must get to the Dragon Reborn before he goes to the LB,

But Rand has gone to SG already so they give it to Logain to use at the LB (Maybe this is so he can achieve his future glory from Min's visions)

Elayne then teaches Setalla/Martine Travelling and she leaves on her own as everyone else marches for the BT or LB ?

Setalla/Martine goes to Edou Dar to find Tuon and straighten her out once and for all, and who better to do that? a Truthspeaker?

Well it's all possible? why else have an expert in items of the one power in Caemlyn with a stash of them at the same time as a massive unexplained attack by the forces of the dark? and it would also lead to a nice scene when Mat shows up in Edou Dar and Setalla is there ahead of him and Truthspeaker for the Empress, and Aes Sedai to boot.

Mat looks again, yes it is Setalla, he hardly belives his eye, the foxhead goes cold against his chest and Stella smiles at him and winks, Mat just has time to mumble, Blood and Bloody Ashes, before the dice start to thunder inside his head......

My guess is Callandor can channel the True Power. The taint was the true power

HUH?! I don't know about the Callandor part but the taint being the true power part is a great thought! Nice one.

Interview: 2010

Twitter 2009-2010 (WoT) (Verbatim)

Azral Hanan (29 July 2010)

Are the taint and the True Power the same?

Brandon Sanderson (29 July 2010)

No, they are different.

AZRAL HANAN

i fear i missed the discussion leading to Stella to be a brown named Martine Janata

i always suspected she was a former Amiralin one of the few who been mentioned to been burn/stilled

btw: do the slow aging continue even if u are stilled/burn ?

It doesn't appear so. Consider Setalle Anan's history:

Shortly after she was raised to sisterhood (likely in her late 20's or early 30's), she started studying ter'angreal, which she focused on for forty years. After the fortieth year of study, she was burned out by one of the objects of her studies and left the tower, so she'd have been in her late 60's to early 70's. She met Jasfer Anan in Ebou Dar shortly after she left the tower, and has been together with him ever since, raising a family and running "The Wandering Woman" until she sold it to help Joline escape from the Seanchan. It's been about 26 years since she burned out, and she has some grey in her hair, so she likely looks like she's in her late forties/early fifties or possibly older. It would seem that upon burning out, she was like Siuan and Leanne when they were stilled, appearing as young as a normal channeler would look at her age had she not taken the oaths, and aged like a non-channeler from there. She was able to stay in the same place for 20+ years with nobody asking questions why she never looked older, unlike the Kin, who have to move around and assume different identities to keep their secret under wraps.

i fear i missed the discussion leading to Stella to be a brown named Martine Janata

i always suspected she was a former Amiralin one of the few who been mentioned to been burn/stilled

Setalle being Martine was just something I picked up from WoT encyclopaedia, but my whole post is a 'what if'

Archived