DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's death and your emotional reaction as a reader

Southpaw89

I wonder how many PoV's will be around to witness that moment. The character that sees it initially might not even be Rand. Could you imagine if it was a Moridin or even a Demandred PoV?

Such a good thought Sid, now that you mention it.. I cant help but know......... I hope its from either Moiraine, Egwene, Mat, or Perrin. Imagining each one is makes me tear up....I hope BS writes the hell out of this part.........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many PoV's will be around to witness that moment. The character that sees it initially might not even be Rand. Could you imagine if it was a Moridin or even a Demandred PoV?

Such a good thought Sid, now that you mention it.. I cant help but know......... I hope its from either Moiraine, Egwene, Mat, or Perrin. Imagining each one is makes me tear up....I hope BS writes the hell out of this part.........

With his death before the LB there could also be Alivia's pov - quite a neutral one and IMO probably the best one. Otherwise I would like to read it from Min's and Moridin's povs as they are both the characters closest to him, each one in another sense (if there is still the link between Rand and Moridin of course) :smile:

I don't think seeing it coming is going to help any. I saw Hopper's death coming, and I saw what was gonna happen when Rand met Tam at the end of TGS. But it didn't change the outcome.

Tears. Manly, manly tears.

As to the finality of this death... If Aviendha is going to bear Rand's children... Then I think she's running out of time, unless he does survive The Last Battle? However, we also have to take into consideration what we're dealing with here - The Dark One is ripping at the very pattern itself. I think it was in TGS that Min mentioned that her viewings read the pattern, so any viewing she had of after The Last Battle wouldn't come true if The Dark One won. It would also follow that The Dark One could lose, but have bodged the pattern enough that any Viewings, or Foretellings, etc. have to be considered as only possibilities, now. But by that logic also, he could live after dying. E.g.., he dies by Moridin's hand (prophecy fulfilled), but then someone gets angry and balefires the hell out of him, hence Rand now lives - he never died (but he did).

My feeling though? He has to die, surely? He loves Elayne (Queen of Caemlyn and Cairhien); Aviendha (a Wise One, and must care for her people - certainly not in Caemlyn or Cairhien); and Min (the only person who can realistically stay with Rand). Unless he lives, and the details of how that relationship will somehow work out are just omitted... I think it more fitting that he dies. But not The Final Death; let The Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

The Forsaken are setting up a trap for him and it appears that Lanfear gets him and Alivia helps him die...if the Dark Prophicies are also true:

"The ancient war, she yet fights. Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still."

This likely happens in TAR or TAR related, otherwise in a face-to-face confrontation, Lanfear is completely toast against LTT, even at her full Power (ok, Lanfear can take Rand out if it is by complete surprise). Lanfear has always boasted about her abilities in TAR and getting into peoples Dreams regardless of what they do.

This possibly means that the duo of Moraine and Nyaneve finishes Lanfear(maybe Moghidiein as well) after rescuing Rand.

Another confirmation that the Forsaken will toast him (Midnight Towers also means the Forsaken...one would think the duo of Ishamael and Lanfear came up with this plan):

"Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself"

Only Rand's death will shake men's very will itself. So I don't think this is referring to Perrin. Both Rand and Perrin dying would be a catastrophic/fatal blow to the Light, even if/when Rand is resurrected.

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned.

Not really, since the Aelfinn said that if he died he would survive the Last Battle.

First time posting here. I'm on my "final" reread of the series currently, and I was *just* thinking about this as I closed the book I was currently reading last night. Before I get to my thoughts I just want to say that Terez's responses in these threads are almost always a wet blanket on the discussion. I'm a long time lurker here. I understand that people are passionate about the books. Yes, some people really know their stuff and their breadth of knowledge of the series far surpasses others. However, at some point you have to let the knowledge take a back seat and just play along. Why rain on everyone's parade, or Rand Al'Thor's funeral procession?

I've been reading the series for a good bit of time (started in '93). Rand's death (permanent or not) will be pretty emotional for me. I'm curious to see how BS will handle the scene. One of my favorite moments in the series, the only one that legitimately gets me choked up, is the bonding of Rand by Aviendah, Min, and Elayne. Aviendah's reaction always gets to me. If the passing of Rand is handled similarly from either Min's or Aviendah's PoV then I may have to put the book down for a few minutes. In any case, the death of Rand Al'Thor will be tough to take after spending so much time with him. The poor guy has been through a lot.

I'm really not looking forward to the butcher's bill leading up to, throughout, and post TG in AMoL...

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned.

Not really, since the Aelfinn said that if he died he would survive the Last Battle.

First time posting here. I'm on my "final" reread of the series currently, and I was *just* thinking about this as I closed the book I was currently reading last night. Before I get to my thoughts I just want to say that Terez's responses in these threads are almost always a wet blanket on the discussion. I'm a long time lurker here. I understand that people are passionate about the books. Yes, some people really know their stuff and their breadth of knowledge of the series far surpasses others. However, at some point you have to let the knowledge take a back seat and just play along. Why rain on everyone's parade, or Rand Al'Thor's funeral procession?

I've been reading the series for a good bit of time (started in '93). Rand's death (permanent or not) will be pretty emotional for me. I'm curious to see how BS will handle the scene. One of my favorite moments in the series, the only one that legitimately gets me choked up, is the bonding of Rand by Aviendah, Min, and Elayne. Aviendah's reaction always gets to me. If the passing of Rand is handled similarly from either Min's or Aviendah's PoV then I may have to put the book down for a few minutes. In any case, the death of Rand Al'Thor will be tough to take after spending so much time with him. The poor guy has been through a lot.

Terez has contributed a huge amount to the WoT community over the years and her point here is absolutely correct. More often than not she provides a crucial piece of info that informs the discussion. Not to say she is always the most sensitive person when expressing her views but that is beside the point.

As for the rest, I have a hunch Rand's death is something RJ would have written. Can't say for certain but I would be pretty surprised it isn't the case.

oh I know. And of course the Arthurian legends of after King Arthur was taken away in the boat, there was still the rumors he lived which could be how the whole Rand situation ends up. I'm not real knowledgeable on the Arthurian legend but wasn't there conflicting reports on whether or not he died in Arvalon? Like some say he died and some say he lived, basically in hiding, until he was needed again? Maybe that's what Rand's situation will be

I don't think that i will not suffer any apparent sign of grief , my invested emotional capital is not so high. I think that i might acculy be relived when he finally dies , let's face it is his will and he has been increasingly set on death. The only thing that i thnik is truly sad is that Rand death is near the endpoint of the last book witch of course will be sad.

Kinda sad but I cried reading the chapter 1 excerpt from AMOL where Rand and Perrin were laughing and joking in the tent with Min asleep next door, just knowing what's going to happen to Rand and what could possibly happen to Perrin made it so bloody bittersweet :( I really don't know how I'm going to manage to finish reading AMOL, lol

Do you know what I like here? Not only girls are made to cry by Rand and WoT :smile: I imagine something sweet: during the first seconds after finishing aMoL, all the fandom weeping together on the forums... but perhaps it's too spoilerish? Which would be cruel, since there's nobody else who could possibly understand my state of mind when it's all over.

Apparently, the ending of A Memory of Light was written by Jordan (or at least conceived) around the same time that he wrote the Eye of the World. When Sanderson got his hands on Jordan's aMoL notes, he said something along the lines of: it's absolutely fantastic. I expect we, as the readers, will have similar thoughts, and I'm sure the much-anticipated finale will leave many of us content.

I already know what Terez will say to this, but didn't Rand already "die" on Dragonmount during Veins of Gold? Kind of like Obi Wan telling Luke Vader killed Anikan.

When Rand and LTT merged, the Rand from Two Rivers died and Rand/LTT was born.

I still think he will physically die, but I wouldn't be surprised if the LTT/Rand merger counted as Rand dieing.

And when he does die (if he does) it will depend on how it is written as too what extent it impacts me.

I really don't know why Verin's death impacted so many people. It wasn't like she was a very likable character. I loved the chapter because of how well written it was, but it wasn't like Hopper dieing (either time) or when Rand almost choked the life out of Min.

Maybe I just never bonded with Verin like some of the other people here have. I could list two dozen purple that would have had more of an impact on me than Verin.

Terez has contributed a huge amount to the WoT community over the years and her point here is absolutely correct. More often than not she provides a crucial piece of info that informs the discussion. Not to say she is always the most sensitive person when expressing her views but that is beside the point.

As for the rest, I have a hunch Rand's death is something RJ would have written. Can't say for certain but I would be pretty surprised it isn't the case.

I agree that Terez can always be counted on to provide crucial information, and even if she is sometimes blunt (something we have in common), she responds with respect for other posters' theories if she cannot prove it in the text. As she has done for some of my theories over the years.

I just don't think that Veins of Gold was a death so to speak. I'm not arguing that he will die and be resurrected somehow, but he has to die again as per the prophecy "Twice to live and twice to die"

I really don't know why Verin's death impacted so many people. It wasn't like she was a very likable character. I loved the chapter because of how well written it was, but it wasn't like Hopper dieing (either time) or when Rand almost choked the life out of Min.

Maybe I just never bonded with Verin like some of the other people here have. I could list two dozen purple that would have had more of an impact on me than Verin.

I personally wasn't overly attached to the fact that it was Verin dying. I think it's more that she has quietly worked for a very long time to fight the shadow and help Rand (and the Light in general), and is giving the ultimate sacrifice for it. It's the perfect redemption story in a brilliantly written chapter. What's not to love?

And that, I think, is why people get emotionally caught up in that chapter.

Do you know what I like here? Not only girls are made to cry by Rand and WoT :smile: I imagine something sweet: during the first seconds after finishing aMoL, all the fandom weeping together on the forums... but perhaps it's too spoilerish? Which would be cruel, since there's nobody else who could possibly understand my state of mind when it's all over.

Dont be so sure on the last part...... I havnt been sure of wich world I really live since I started reading and I some of these dragon mounters have been emotionally involved for the last twenty years.......... So I know there will be some breakdowns, flipouts, young life conumdrums and whole lotta shit going down ...... basicly you will never be alone.. a long as we have eachother.....seriously...

Dont be so sure on the last part...... I havnt been sure of wich world I really live since I started reading and I some of these dragon mounters have been emotionally involved for the last twenty years.......... So I know there will be some breakdowns, flipouts, young life conumdrums and whole lotta shit going down ...... basicly you will never be alone.. a long as we have eachother.....seriously...

Yes, this is what I meant - that only the Dragonmounters understand, so I'd like to be allowed to share my feelings with them right after finishing aMoL. Come on, let's dance together in the Last Battle and then mourn together as well.

Well, that was entirely random and nonsensical. What point, exactly, were you trying to make? What does that diatribe even have to do with what I said?

Well, that was entirely random and nonsensical. What point, exactly, were you trying to make? What does that diatribe even have to do with what I said?

Totally my exact thought when I read it. That and panties being in a bunch.

But then I thought, well umm yea, it's not exactly wrong, except for the rain on parade part. What's wrong with cold hard facts?

And what;s wrong with a little rain at a parade anyway!?!?!

Still, it gave me a laught today, and since Sutt already defended you, I have no need too. Still funny.

The manner in which Rand dies will be something other worldly that i look forward to reading, and someone said RJ most likely wrote that, which i would assume is true, its far too intimate with the character not to have been i would assume. But as far as him living? Ive said it before, and no i have no idea how it will work given that there are so many convoluted prophecies that include whatever resurrection may happen, Rand has earned the right to die. In just a short time he has lived lifetimes, and suffered through pains and what not that when its all said and done, he deserves to experience that which is lighter than a feather.

Archived