DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's death and your emotional reaction as a reader

Southpaw89

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned. As a reader, will this have any emotional impact on you? Some of you have been reading since 1990 and have been around for the long haul but even for us who just started in the last few years, will you be sad if Rand is dead even though you knew it was coming?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am preparing to be devastated when I read that part and just like ' A visit from Verin Sedia' [ just typing that chapter name gives me a little lump in the throat] will make me silenty weep for Rand. I believe even people who have argued against him in differant threads or people who have read about and known the character for years and devaloped a dislike for whatever reason, will remember the journey that they have been on with are shepherd boy and wether they will admit it or not will have their own moment alone in a favrite nook or cranny as tears hit the page........... Im a litttle irational when it comes to fantasy. I have such a big dreamer complex and imagination that these things effect me more than the usual person.......but seeing how were on Dragon Mount and all of you are probablly the same way, I dont feel ashamed to say I will take Rands death very hard.......but I cant wait to go through it! Keep it sexy...

I just had to create an account to reply to this post...and maybe this could go in other sections as well. I first picked up Eye of the World because I liked the cover. Had no idea what it was...and then at the end said "what, i gotta get another book?"

Anyway - the only thing that would upset me about Rand's death would be - if he "died" like Harry Potter in book 7. That was the lamest death ever. And didnt he die to live again? arrggghhhh. I really dont want Rand facing the DO and reading 4 chapters of him talking to himself in death and figuring out what his soul wants to do, blah blah blah. Know what i mean?

From the first book I have not thought he would really die. The main hero just doesn't die. He will be resurrected, or switch bodies, or only appear dead or some such. So if he really does die. No coming back, well that would hit me pretty hard. I wouldn't believe it until I had finished the last word on the last page.

Anyway - the only thing that would upset me about Rand's death would be - if he "died" like Harry Potter in book 7. That was the lamest death ever. And didnt he die to live again? arrggghhhh. I really dont want Rand facing the DO and reading 4 chapters of him talking to himself in death and figuring out what his soul wants to do, blah blah blah. Know what i mean?

Exactly this.

I am preparing to be devastated when I read that part and just like ' A visit from Verin Sedia' [ just typing that chapter name gives me a little lump in the throat] will make me silenty weep for Rand. I believe even people who have argued against him in differant threads or people who have read about and known the character for years and devaloped a dislike for whatever reason, will remember the journey that they have been on with are shepherd boy and wether they will admit it or not will have their own moment alone in a favrite nook or cranny as tears hit the page........... Im a litttle irational when it comes to fantasy. I have such a big dreamer complex and imagination that these things effect me more than the usual person.......but seeing how were on Dragon Mount and all of you are probablly the same way, I dont feel ashamed to say I will take Rands death very hard.......but I cant wait to go through it! Keep it sexy...

I'm very much like you when it comes to those things. "Devastated" is a perfect word! When aMoL comes out I'll have "known" Rand for 10 years, he's a part of my life (although it's still just a book of course - I may be silly, but not a total freak). I'll cry and miss him a lot, whether he dies or not.

I'll be bummed out either way. Whether it's a glorious, blaze of fire, honorable death or not. I've been reading since I was about 10 or 11 and I'm 26 now. So I've invested quite a bit in these guys. At the risk of sounding cliche and bandwagonish (If I can say that) Rand has always been my favorite character. So yeah, I'll definitely be sad if he actually 'dies dies'. I'll be sad that it's over period. It's going to be bitter sweet to me no matter what happens.

I've been reading since I was in 6th grade, roughly 1995, and this has been quite a journey. I haven't even been able to commit to a new series, knowing I haven't seen this through yet. January brings not only the Last Battle, but the conclusion to something that's been in my life longer than anything other than family and some select friends. Rand notwithstanding, I'll probably tear up just reading the last page.

That being said, there were a few parts that have already caused the misty eyes... the Veins of Gold sequence, Rand reuniting with his father in ToM, when he starts to cry I lost it... Rereading the series now to prepare for the last book, I'm connecting with him all over again, and it's going to be rough. The last book, as well as whatever happens to Rand, will no doubt be epic as well as tragic, yet I imagine it ending on a good note somehow. Still, it won't hurt to have some Kleenex nearby...

I don't know how i'll react, i've been reading about these characters and their world since 1996 when i first picked up the eye of the world... I know he and alot of other characters i like are going to die, be scarred, change. But i dont know how i'll take it. I knew mat was going to lose his eye since like book 1 but i still hated reading about it when it happened, and i think it will be the same with rand. It will be sad, but i dont want the books completely screwed up just to get a happy ending... that would be worse than the dark one winning i think.

Min's first viewings of Mat. I didnt like it but i had the feeling he would lose an eye (though until later i didnt realize he was going to give it to the finns)

Hahha I dunno if I would say he "gave" it to them, exactly. They kind of, well, snatched it from him--quite literally. Imagining the imagery of this definitely made for one of my favorite, and honestly, one of the funniest Wheel of Time scenes. I mean, common, imagine some fox dude in leather and studded armor walking in circles around you and GRABBING your eye out of its socket? So awesome.

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned.

Not really, since the Aelfinn said that if he died he would survive the Last Battle.

Rand's whole adult life has been one of doing what he needs to do no matter what the consequences must be. I almost wouldn't be saddened for the character if he was laid to rest and finally given some peace. That said, how I feel will definitely have to do with how it's written/presented.

I don't know why people don't like the character, he's the one who carries the entire story.

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned.

Not really, since the Aelfinn said that if he died he would survive the Last Battle.

You just rang a bell in my memory. I don't remember how or why (it's been a while since I reread the series) but there was something written in the books years ago that I thought was a hint of how he would survive and die. I guess I'll have to reread them now.

Ok as a reader we have known from day 1 that Rand is prophesied and destined to die in the last battle. Even with the evidence that when it's all said and done he'll be alive (such as from being resurrected), there is still that possibility that he might end up dead and gone when the final pages are turned. As a reader, will this have any emotional impact on you? Some of you have been reading since 1990 and have been around for the long haul but even for us who just started in the last few years, will you be sad if Rand is dead even though you knew it was coming?

What if he bale fires in the last battle and ends up the farm boy in Three Rivers??? I read that somewhere.

I kinda expect it, so, I'm pretty sure I'll be neutral, unless it's a bad death, at which point I'll be pissed.

More than anything I'll be excited to know how it all ends.

I don't want it to end.

Archived